Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 The most overrated shows of the 2010s 
Devil's Advocate

Post The most overrated shows of the 2010s
I’m torn about whether to post my list on the main site. In the meantime, what’s yours?

Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:31 pm
The Kramer

Post Re: The most overrated shows of the 2010s
It's hard to say, are we using actual ratings or Metacritic scores as the measuring tool?

I'll just go with Succession since I could barely make it through the second episode yet everyone else acts like it is TV God's gift to man.

Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:27 pm
New Server, Same X

I don't know if it's everything that happened with the man or if my feelings are true, but I never quite got the hype with Louie. There were good episodes, good moments, but it never quite reached the level for me as it did for everyone else. I watched two seasons of it and can't remember anything that stands out as memorable. More than anything, I remember being bored a lot.

I should add that I could listen to his standup (pre-2017) and laugh, so I don't think this has anything to do with his sexual harassment. I genuinely didn't get the hype.

Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:07 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Transparent. I have no idea how that series won so many awards. It's as generic as they come but it's about transgender so it HAD to win awards I guess

Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:50 pm
Devil's Advocate

My list http://wokj.worldofkj.com/the-top-5-mos ... he-decade/

Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:34 pm
The Kramer

You son of a bitch. :mad:

I’m calling Human Supremacy. #CancelShack

Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:01 am
That's a shame that you weren't taken in by Hannibal's aesthetics and tale of tortured would-be murder husbands :( For those that were, I must come to its defense. As a weekly trip to horrific tableaus of freakish beauty with characters that felt like full blooded, sometimes/often touched people there was nothing like it.

The largely case-of-the-week first season is a gorgeously macabre take on police procedurals. I loved how a survivor of the first violence our leads experienced together--and the struggle over of her path in life--became such an important part of the dynamic. Also the increasingly fever dream-like uncertainty of some viewpoints that was simultaneously a steely, detached, almost scientific approach via other lenses was enjoyable.

Leading to a S2 that splits in two--and while I adore both parts, I think the 2nd half of the season was my favorite. It became a waking nightmare, with reality becoming a little objective while testing the limits of what the "good guys" do. Plus it leads to one of my favorite season finales of any show I've seen--every moment builds to an inevitable, bloody end yet when you finally get there it's even more of a mic drop moment than thought possible.

S3 is another halfsie year with the first half absolutely being the apex of pretentious horror art film, which works better times than others--but I accept all of it for the chance to gallivant around Europe a little bit with Mads Mikkelsen and Gillian Anderson. Again, the second half of the season is my preferred here. The show takes on Red Dragon and becomes my favorite telling of that leading into a perfect final scene.

So yeah...not overrated for me :thumbsup:

As for overrated shows, I was also never on the Louie bandwagon. I didn't hate it, by any means, but this profundity everyone else found...well, I did not! Also Bob's Burgers is boring. Also also, this one doesn't exactly fit the criteria, but I've recently caught the first half season of the Orville and it's kind of garbage--so, so poorly written. I'm trying to give it a chance...

Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:58 am
New Server, Same X

Jack Sparrow wrote:
Transparent. I have no idea how that series won so many awards. It's as generic as they come but it's about transgender so it HAD to win awards I guess

Good call. Watched four seasons of Transparent and all I remember is feeling down every time I watched it. What a dreary experience. Fine acting by all involved, but just didn't strike a chord with me. The short seasons made me stick with it, but I couldn't care less about their finale to see how it ends.

Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:41 pm
New Server, Same X

Malcolm wrote:
As for overrated shows, I was also never on the Louie bandwagon. I didn't hate it, by any means, but this profundity everyone else found...well, I did not! Also Bob's Burgers is boring. Also also, this one doesn't exactly fit the criteria, but I've recently caught the first half season of the Orville and it's kind of garbage--so, so poorly written. I'm trying to give it a chance...

If Louie was on in reruns, I'd probably watch and at least enjoy it a little, but definitely not the way critics fell in love with it. Would be interesting if that show came out now 100% as is, after what's happened, and if the acclaim was there. I think a lot of love went to Louis CK as a comedian, and rightfully so. He was a good comedian.

I can watch Bob's Burgers and I like it, but it kind of crept up there as a popular alternative to modern-day Simpsons and Family Guy. It's a fine FOX cartoon, but I'm never compelled to watch it every week. I can't see the movie being a huge hit.

Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:44 pm
Child Actor

1) Homeland
2) The Americans
3) How to Get Away with Murder
4) The Good Wife
5) Downton Abbey

Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:46 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

The Walking Dead, without question.