Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 The Knick (Cinemax) 
Pure Phase

Post The Knick (Cinemax)

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Last edited by David on Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:58 pm
Pure Phase

Post Re: The Knick (Cinemax)
This premieres Friday!

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:45 am
Teh Mexican

On to my must watch list. It looks pretty awesome.

Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:33 am
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

The trailers look really good plus having Clive Owen and a period setting is a plus. I'm worried though it will turn into one of those boring medical drama

Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:37 am
Pure Phase

Fantastic pilot. It shows history in the exciting, volatile present tense. The surgical sequences are fascinating, as are many of the other details, such as the mercenary ambulance industry.

Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:03 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

The pilot was very hard to watch at times but very well-directed and stylish. I'll keep watching.

Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:17 pm
Profile YIM
Rachel McAdams Fan

The score for this series is easily my favorite thing about it. It's very hypnotic.

The medical sequences are consistently nauseating.

Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:08 am
Profile YIM
now we know

I'm really interested in this. Love Clive Owen and the trailer is great.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:59 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Season one was fantastic on every level, from the commanding lead performance by Clive Owen to the host of colorful peripheral characters (such as the abortionist nun and the profane ambulance driver) to the period details to the hypnotic original score. I am completely satisfied and eager to see what comes next.

Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:23 pm
Pure Phase

:)

This is my second favorite ongoing series after Penny Dreadful. I cannot wait for its return later this year.

Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:21 am
now we know

Episode one was very good. The surgeries are intense, and quite hard to watch at times. Clive Owen seems to give a really good performance. The music isn't as prominent as I'd liked, but maybe it picks up. What I adored is how it shows life back in the early 1900s, and how manual everything is.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:23 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Clive Owen's US accent is patchy. The first few scenes of episode one were ok but he's just not talented enough. Does it get explained anywhere later on that he's actually from the UK and has just picked up an American tang?

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:51 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

I have never found his accent in the series distracting. It is a bit of a cultivated, Katharine Hepburn/Vincent Price-esque "Mid-Atlantic accent" and sounds appropriate enough to the period.

Glad you seem to be enjoying it so far.

Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:53 pm
now we know

It's not distracting, no. Just something I noticed.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:10 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Just finished episode three. Another good one. These are so easy to watch, but really interesting too. It appears really authentic too. Cocaine was readily available! They sewed people's arms to their face! Three episodes in and the black has already been in two fist fights, haha.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:20 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Just a thought; was surgery and healthcare free back in the early 1900s? Nobody seems to mention payment, and even poor people are getting treated.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:13 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Finished episode four. His finger touched the rat man's leg and then he touched his girl's mouth. Fuck. Cannot wait for episode five.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:27 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Algren wrote:
Just a thought; was surgery and healthcare free back in the early 1900s? Nobody seems to mention payment, and even poor people are getting treated.

A bit of reading if you are interested:

Quote:
One hundred years ago, in 1908, health care was virtually unregulated and health insurance, nonexistent. Physicians practiced and treated patients in their homes. The few hospitals that existed provided minimal therapeutic care. Both physicians and hospitals were unregulated. When patients saw a physician, they paid their modest fees out-of-pocket; they were more concerned about the wages they would lose if illness kept them out of work than about the cost of their medical care.

Medical science and technology were primitive, and there was little that physicians could do to treat most illnesses. It had been only 40-50 years since the first understanding of bacteriology, antisepsis, and immunology; 21 years since the invention of a blood pressure measurement device; and 13 years since the discovery of X-ray technology. It would not be until 1910 that the first drug treatment to destroy disease—and not the patient—would emerge or that surgery would become common for conditions like tumors, infected tonsils, and appendicitis.

Commercial insurance companies did not write health insurance policies in 1908; they saw no way to avoid the risks of adverse selection (those who were sick would seek coverage, and those who were healthy would not) and moral hazard (coverage would encourage the insured to seek unnecessary services), and they lacked the means to calculate risks accurately and set appropriate premiums. Within the next 10 years, many European nations would adopt some form of compulsory national health insurance, but similar proposals in the U.S. were rejected because of lack of interest and resistance from physicians and commercial insurers [1].

Yet it was in the early 1900s that regulation and organization of health professions began to take hold. Membership in the American Medical Association (AMA) increased from 8,000 in 1900 to 70,000 in 1910 [2]. In 1904, the AMA formed the Council on Medical Education to establish physician licensure standards. The 1910 Flexner Report on medical education recommended stricter entrance requirements, better facilities, higher fees, and tougher standards for medical students [3]. By 1920, the cultural influence of the medical profession was growing as physicians' incomes and prestige increased.

More: http://journalofethics.ama-assn.org/200 ... -0805.html

Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:05 pm
now we know

Thanks.

So patients paid the hospitals directly. The Knick just doesn't allude to that ever. Negro poor people are treated in the basement for free, it seems.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:44 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

I liked Algernon meeting his mum and dad in the kitchen. In fact, all of the racist elements in The Knick are superbly crafted, and Soderbergh is not shying away from reality either. I love this show.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:43 am
Profile WWW
now we know

The end of episode five.....he learned to ride a bicycle FAR TOO QUICKLY. This annoyed me. Like, it took him 20 seconds to ride a bike perfectly, and he'd never even been on a bike before.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:42 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

lol

Glad you are enjoying/loving the series. Episode seven is intense.

Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:51 pm
now we know

Soderbergh has really gone up in my estimation. I regarded him pretty highly before too!

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:21 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Episode 7 was ace. The riots provided the most excitement (as opposed to intrigue of the previous six) of the series so far. Thackery was brilliant, and is brilliant as a character. His arc is actually one that just feels real. His ambition and devotion to his master supersedes his racism.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:08 am
Profile WWW
now we know

I really liked ep.8 and the tension that I can see coming from the Bertie-Thackery-Elkins thing. And Bertie's father will have a reason for his own agenda when it is all revealed. Great episode. Just two more left.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:37 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next