Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 "Notes from the Underbelly" 
Wallflower

Post "Notes from the Underbelly"

Premise: Andrew and Lauren decide to have a baby, but the specter of parenthood looms over them. Their friends, meanwhile, are divided on the issue. Some are supportive (even competitive), while others can't imagine leaving single life.

Cast: Peter Cambor, Jennifer Westfeldt, Melanie Paxson, Rachel Harris

Our 2¢ (AOL.COM): This sweet little comedy took us by surprise. Andrew and Lauren's concerns about having a baby feels genuine -- like her fear that she'll never fit into a cute little dress again. And Harris is hilariously deadpan as Lauren's promiscuous lawyer friend.

From EW's Fall TV Preview:

(ABC) 8:30-9 PM Debuts November

Concept: A not-so-hearts-and-bunnies look at impending parenthood.

The Scoop: It's based loosely on the 2005 novel by Risa Green, but creator Stacy Traub (What I Like About You) compares it to Sex and the City. ''What happens to these kinds of women when they get married and have kids?'' she ponders. ''They have fabulous shoes, but what happens when kids throw up on them?'' Playing the ambivalently pregnant Lauren is Kissing Jessica Stein's delightfully frank Jennifer Westfeldt. ''I like [the idea of] someone saying 'It's a pain in the ass and you lose your body,''' she says. ''I totally identify with that character. And then there's the peppy parents, and all the advice giving...yuck.''

Bottom Line: Break out the cigars! Despite its potentially gooey, girly subject matter, Underbelly was one of the most surprising, sharpest pilots of the season.

Sounds like it will be really good. I adore Jennifer Westfeldt since Kissing Jessica Stein, and she looks so cute in that picture. I will watch for sure. I hope it's a hit. It will air after Big Day, so hopefully that ends up being a good lead-in for it.

Last edited by Magic Mike on Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:36 pm
Forum General

Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:57 pm
Wallflower

http://www.zap2it.com/tv/news/zap-abcno ... -headlines

It's about f-ing time this show will make its debut. I'm just really afraid for this ones future. There's no doubt in my mind that it will be highly enjoyable and easily one of the best comedy shows ABC has to offer, but unless they were to debut this after some big or at least solid hit I can't see how they could expect it to stick. I really hope I'm wrong though, but ABC usually has bad luck with their half hour comedies, usually because a lot of them aren't very good. That won't be the case here I'm sure from what I hear, but it's probably too smart to last. I am hotly anticipating this, but really, really want it to be able to stay on the air. Does anyone know what the hell it's going to debut after?

Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:45 am
Wallflower

Oh great, American Idol still won't be done with when this starts so this will get killed! :cry: Stupid AI! :mad:

Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:26 pm
New Server, Same X

Doesn't sound that bad, which is a shock.

Sounds like ABC saved some of their best new shows of the season for the DOA timeslots. I'm sick to my stomach that Traveler has been dumped completely. I find it hard to believe that the show will have a steep decline in quality after the awesome pilot, but I guess it's possible. That's the only justifiable reason for doing this to Traveler.

Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:34 pm
Forum General

Traveler hasn't been dumped completely. In that same article they have a premiere date for it.

Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:10 pm
New Server, Same X

Traveler hasn't been dumped completely. In that same article they have a premiere date for it.

Yeah, but it's May 30th. Just eight episodes. Traveler is a stone's throw away from airing the episodes on ABC.com.

Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:21 pm
Forum General

It's not far, that's for sure. But it's not dead, yet. It could be a big hit this summer and come back for a second season.

Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:31 pm
Wallflower

They should just wait until summer to air this. Of course I'd rather they started airing it on Thursday nights after Grey's Anatomy so it could be sampled by a larger audience right out of the gate, hopefully resulting in it surviving. But no such luck :cry:. I really wish this could have been a hit for Westfeldt. If anyone hasn't seen Kissing Jessica Stein yet then definitely do. It's an absolute delight; so funny and clever and just the most adorable romantic comedy.

Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:40 am
Forum General

This is quite another stupid move on ABC's part for a comedy. It's as if they want to see how many different comdies they can can in a season.

With huge hits Dancing with the Stars, Extreme MAkeOver, Grey's, and Betty... the decide to premiere it with no lead-in whatsoever. Their entire Wednesday needs a real bad tune-up.

They should REALLY pair it up with Dancing with the Stars. DWTS results show should have been Tuesdays at 8pm not 9pm... that way they could have jump-started this a and potentially another comedy (or one of the ones that already failed) in the hour following.

Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:14 am
Wallflower

From the previews they showed during last week's Grey's Anatomy this looks good. Maybe if they have enough good/clever TV ads for it during the bigger shows it can do well enough.

Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:22 am
Teenage Dream

I wonder why they didn't put it on Mondays at 9:30 after Dancing with the Stars instead of 90 minute Bachelor installments.

Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:46 pm
Teenage Dream

Notes From The Underbelly is now scheduled to air Thursdays at 10:00p.m. and 10:30p.m. beginning April 12.

Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:15 pm
Forum General

Notes From The Underbelly is now scheduled to air Thursdays at 10:00p.m. and 10:30p.m. beginning April 12.

What??? Does this mean ABC actually might want it to succeed?

Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:36 pm
Wallflower

More info on this decision: http://www.zap2it.com/tv/news/zap-notes ... -headlines

YES! YES! YES! THANK YOU ABC! BRILLIANT IDEA! :biggrin: Will April 12th be a new episode of GREY'S ANATOMY?

Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:35 pm
New Server, Same X

Considering ABC has hit the wall in terms of comedies, it's not surprising that they're trying to get one hit under their belt. I doubt it will do well, but maybe well enough for a second season.

I don't understand why networks haven't done 30-minute shows at 10pm. I think comedies would do just as well at 10pm as dramas. Maybe better.

Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:52 pm
Team Kris

What was the last half-hour comedy to do well in the 10 PM hour?

Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:03 pm
Forum General

There haven't been any at all since the early 90s, when Fox was programming 10pm on Sundays.

Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:07 pm
Team Kris

ValleyGuyChristian wrote:

There haven't been any at all since the early 90s, when Fox was programming 10pm on Sundays.

Oh yes, Fox Sundays!

Did Tracey Ullman air on that time?

Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:09 pm
New Server, Same X

ValleyGuyChristian wrote:

That shocked the bejesus out of me when I read that. I was only young (still am!) in the early 90s, so I don't recall.

Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:26 pm
Wallflower

I guess Grey's Anatomy won't be new until the end of April, so sadly this will just have reruns of it as a lead-in. Still, it's better than being against American Idol with a crappy lead-in.

Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:14 pm
Star Trek XI

That picture makes me want to have dessert right now.

Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:17 pm
Profile WWW
Teenage Dream

I guess Grey's Anatomy won't be new until the end of April, so sadly this will just have reruns of it as a lead-in. Still, it's better than being against American Idol with a crappy lead-in.

Well actually on April 12 there will be a Grey's Anatomy clip show and starting April 19 new episodes of Grey's Anatomy return for the rest of the season.

Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:02 pm
Forum General

ABC is planning on airing this as a 1 hour show, not two episodes of a half hour show.

http://abcmedianet.com/web/progcal/disp ... =032907_05

Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:03 pm
Wallflower

This is already starting on Thursday night. The time went by fast. I'm excited. Entertainment Weekly gave it a B.

Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next