Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 Why I love One Tree Hill 
Devil's Advocate

Post Why I love One Tree Hill
One Tree Hill has never been a show about what the character themselves are doing, but rather what they represent, just like it has never been a show about acting + screenplay, as much as a series long look of characterizations and layers of the human capacity. Schwann aside from the first couple episodes has never been set out on making another teen show, he has been making a show about people, about our emotions and the paths we take in general, creating life. Every character on the show has their own initiative, every character is developed on their own with their own mindset, in that every person is a person explored.

Schwann has with this show used the medium of television in a way nothing else has, he has breached lit and television narrative, being fully aware that he is creating a poetic and literary look at human characterization and the decisions and emotions we make through our life. He has created portraits of everlasting lonliness, innocence, everlasting love, questions about our dreams, death, anger and guilt, the idea of redemption, losing your mind, he takes these things and ideas and embelishes them in what seems like another soap, when in reality it is much more. He has never intended to make this show about what the characters are doing themselves, but rather what messages and emotions about life they represent.

One Tree Hill is a show that on first watch does seem run of the mill, and even on first watch I was wary about it seeming like a poor imitation of the oc or something, and is for that reason that I believe it gets casted off by most watchers and critics as tardy and generic and not seen as anything more, which I can't blame. What I do appreciate is that there is others like me, who see the show as something special, and it is from that where the gargantuan internet fanbase has sprouted from. I do believe One Tree Hill is the best television program on air, I feel it trascends the way I look at any other tv show or film, to me it is so much more than screenplay and acting, it reaches a unique place no other shows can.

Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:50 pm
Devil's Advocate

Hehe, I just wanted to explain myself after all this time of spreading my love. It isn't a situation of "well I know it's crap but I like it," or "I have weird tastes for things like this," I actually do feel it is the most special thing television has on the air and I have my reasons, there is a method to my madness.

Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:03 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

As I have said before, I loved ONE TREE HILL in its first two seasons. It was great and one of my favorite shows on the air, and I enjoyed all of the performances by the actors as well. But during season three something went very, very wrong. It started with the introduction of Peyton's mother, which could have potentially been a decent storyline but became too lame and cheesy by the end. Then they added Rachel, who is a bad character pure and simple - uninteresting and boring to watch. Then the mayor storyline, with the ridiculous scenes between Deb and Dan that made me cringe. Finally, this show reached its ultimate low point with the "controversial" school shooting episode, which was honestly one of the worst things I have ever seen on television. I don't understand at all why it is such a fan favorite, the acting in it is atrocious (especially from the shooter himself) and it's incredibly laughable and overdramatic. After that it just stayed at that level, with each episode worse than the next. The season finale was probably the only episode of the season that I would really consider somewhat decent. I watched the fourth season premiere and have watched the past few episodes of the season and after a promising start it has gone downhill once again - and it seems like it is staying there. The Deb storyline is awful, the episode with Peyton's psycho "brother" was unintentionally hilarious, and the mob boss thing with Nathan was incredibly lame. Last week's episode was alright and I had hopes that it could get good once again, but then this week they aired what was easily the worst episode of the show ever (yes, even worse than the shooting episode). I'm sick of being disappointed by this show. I don't care what anyone says, story and performances do matter, even in a show like this - and it just hasn't been up to par for me in the slightest for the past few years. It kind of disappoints me that even though The OC is GREAT once again this season more people are tuning into this show, and the former will likely be cancelled by the end of the year :(

If you want great teen drama series, my favorites are Dawson's Creek, The OC, Buffy The Vampire Slayer and the criminally underrated Popular, which was unjustly cancelled after two seasons. One Tree Hill could have salvaged a spot on that list if it had kept up quality-wise from what was being produced in seasons one and two. But I don't see a recovery after it's fallen this low.

Oh well, it's not the worst teen drama on TV, that's for sure :P (the ABC Family summer drama Falcon Beach holds that title - as well as the one for worst show ever to air on television ;) ).

Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:26 pm
Profile YIM
Devil's Advocate

It's a gulity pleasure. I think most of us can understand that. But don't try to make it out to be this ground-breaking, phenmoneal TV show.

It's a show that you're really hooked on just for some werid reason. We all have shows like that. You don't have to justify yourself at all.

Maybe I'm just insane.

But I still believe every word I wrote.

Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:28 am
Forum General

No. Just no.

lol...

Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:05 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

I don't know if you'll ever be able to live that one down.

Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:07 am
Profile WWW
The French Dutch Boy

Your post sounds like me trying to bullshit my way through an English essay. lol.

Peace,
Mike.

Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:11 am
New Server, Same X

Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:52 am
i break the rules, so i don't care

THE OC is the shit!!! Sorry, Shack. But everything is light-years ahead of OTH, and that's saying something.

Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:18 pm

It kind of disappoints me that even though The OC is GREAT once again this season more people are tuning into this show, and the former will likely be cancelled by the end of the year :(

THE OC ratings are starting to pick up. Hopefully it will hit 6m soon.

Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:20 pm
Devil's Advocate

Funny part is though that I'm not alone... there's a reason the internet is absolutley batshit over this show with fans no less intelligent or literate than me, and while they probably wouldn't go as far as I did with that description, most would say it is special.

Nobody near believed me when I said it last time, there is more One Tree Hill presence on the internet than any other show. Not Firefly. Not Battlestar. Not Lost. It's One Tree Hill, nobody seems to notice it but it's true. And in my opinion there is a reason why. Granted Firefly fans may be more "insane" about their show, but OTH has more volume. There's a reason why it has a forum with 1.7 million posts and over 2 million with actor boards added on that site, there's a reason the fanfiction numbers are insane, why it has over 100 different fansites on the net, why every poll in the campaign last year was a victory by 40%+, why all the user comments on IMDB call it the "best show ever", why it has the highest rated episodes on tv.com(tv's IMDB), it's because... we see something in it. I may seem insane, but maybe just maybe there's something the legion of us see in this show, maybe there is a vitality, and while obviously there is no wrong in smashing the show as that is the general perception among most people, maybe we are seeing something in this show that is special, just maybe.

:smile:

Last edited by Shack on Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:48 pm

You only see it more, when you go looking for it. So don't try that card. Same can be said about any other show. I would know.

Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:52 pm
Forum General

Just the reaction I expected. ;)

Funny part is though that I'm not alone... there's a reason the internet is absolutley batshit over this show with fans no less intelligent or literate than me, and while they probably wouldn't go as far as I did with that description, most would say it is special.

Nobody near believed me when I said it last time, there is more One Tree Hill presence on the internet than any other show. Not Firefly. Not Battlestar. Not Lost. It's One Tree Hill, nobody seems to notice it but it's true. And in my opinion there is a reason why. Granted Firefly fans may be more "insane" about their show, but OTH has more volume. There's a reason why it has a forum with 1.7 million posts and over 2 million with actor boards added on that site, there's a reason the fanfiction numbers are insane, why it has over 100 different fansites on the net, why every poll in the campaign last year was a victory by 40%+, why all the user comments on IMDB call it the "best show ever", why it has the highest rated episodes on tv.com(tv's IMDB), it's because... we see something in it. I may seem insane, but maybe just maybe there's something the legion of us see in this show, maybe there is a vitality, and while obviously there is no wrong in smashing the show as that is the general perception among most people, maybe we are seeing something in this show that is special, just maybe.

:smile:

The tweeners just have a lot of energy.

Is my hypothesis.

Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:56 pm
Profile WWW
Sbil

I flipping hate One Tree Hill

Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:24 pm
Forum General

When you're in a fandom, it always feels huge.

Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:40 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

I occasionally see this show and the OC when i'm channel hopping and while their mildly entertaining I don't get how anybody could love something so vapid.

Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]