Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ] 
 Sunday 10/15 Ratings 
Cream of the Crop

Post Sunday 10/15 Ratings
Source: http://www.mediaweek.com/mw/newsletters ... /index.jsp

1. "Desperate Housewives" (ABC) 13.7/20
2. "NFL Overrun" (CBS) 13.1/22
3. "60 Minutes" (CBS) 12.2/19
4. "Without A Trace" (CBS) 10.7/18
5. "Cold Case" (CBS) 10.1/15
6. "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" (ABC) 9.1/14
7. "Brothers & Sisters" (ABC) 8.4/13
8. "Sunday Night Football" (NBC) 8.1/12
9. "The Amazing Race 10" (CBS) 8.1/12
10. "MLB Playoffs" (FOX) 6.4/10
11. "America's Funniest Home Videos" (ABC) 6.1/10
12. "NFL Pre-Game" (NBC) 3.7/6
13. "7th Heaven" (CW) 2.5/4
14. "America's Next Top Model" (R, CW) 1.6/3
15. "Runaway" (CW) 1.2/2

"How you uh, how you comin' on that novel you're working on? Huh? Gotta a big, uh, big stack of papers there? Gotta, gotta nice litte story you're working on there? Your big novel you've been working on for 3 years? Got a, got a compelling protaganist? Yeah? Gotta obstacle for him to overcome? Working on, working on that for quite some time?"

Battle of the 2005 movies - Vote Now!

Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:31 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Well, Sunday is still crap for CW, but it's an improvement over what it was doing. We won't know for sure until tomorrow, but so far it seems to have been a good move.

Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:51 pm
Begging Naked

Well, Sunday is still crap for CW, but it's an improvement over what it was doing. We won't know for sure until tomorrow, but so far it seems to have been a good move.

Actually, it's below last week, thanks almost entirely to Runaway. Why haven't they cancelled it yet?

Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:53 pm
Profile WWW
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

CBS number 2-5 spot even though DH is the highest rated program. It still proves that CBS is strong and is the number 1 channel. Im guessing Prozak J will respond anytime soon to this bait

Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:22 pm
Begging Naked

CBS number 2-5 spot even though DH is the highest rated program. It still proves that CBS is strong and is the number 1 channel. Im guessing Prozak J will respond anytime soon to this bait

No, I'm not changing my name again.

And of course I know CBS is #1. . .among old people. ABC = too hip for them.

CBS wins total viewers, ABC wins 18-49ers, FOX wins both at midseason w/Idol, and NBC has. . .Howie Mandel.

Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:24 pm
Profile WWW

El_Masked_fuerte_grande wrote:

CBS wins total viewers, ABC wins 18-49ers, FOX wins both at midseason w/Idol, and NBC has. . .Howie Mandel.

Im sure the election polls will take that age bracket into consideration. "Hey while our candidate lost his seat as governor at least he was popular among the 18-30 year olds" "YAHHHHHH!!!!!!
YAAAAAHHHHHH!!!! DRINK SPRITE!"

Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:31 pm
Begging Naked

Mood-Swing Jon wrote:
El_Masked_fuerte_grande wrote:

Im sure the election polls will take that age bracket into consideration. "Hey while our candidate lost his seat as governor at least he was popular among the 18-30 year olds" "YAHHHHHH!!!!!!
YAAAAAHHHHHH!!!! DRINK SPRITE!"

You obviously forget that advertisers love the 18-49ers, which is why they're usually the only demo reported on. Why else is American Dad still on the air?

Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:35 pm
Profile WWW

You obviously forget that advertisers love the 18-49ers, which is why they're usually the only demo reported on. Why else is American Dad still on the air?

few reason
a)They are afraid of Family Guy fans boycotting the network
b)Right now Fox right now doesnt have any strong shows other than AI,24 and House
c)They feel bad about cancelling Family Guy before so they still have that abomination know as American Dad on the air
d)Hey they kept an extremely low rated show like Arrested Development on for many seasons

Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:41 pm
Forum General

jujubee wrote:

Actually, it's below last week, thanks almost entirely to Runaway. Why haven't they cancelled it yet?

Yes, Runaway needs to go, but 7th Heaven was a vast improvement over the past two weeks, and the 7-9 slots were all up. Runaway did damage to the total average, but I think CW has already decided Sunday is doomed, and will at least be pleased with part of the night.

Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:42 pm
Begging Naked

Mood-Swing Jon wrote:

few reason
a)They are afraid of Family Guy fans boycotting the network
b)Right now Fox right now doesnt have any strong shows other than AI,24 and House
c)They feel bad about cancelling Family Guy before so they still have that abomination know as American Dad on the air
d)Hey they kept an extremely low rated show like Arrested Development on for many seasons

e) Its viewers are 90% A18-49

A and C are pretty much the same thing, but that works. And D doesn't really apply because they had some very, very, very, very, very loud supporters, and they STILL buried the final four episodes on a Friday. With no promotion. Up against the Olympic opening ceremonies. I doubt FOX will ever do that to American Dad.

I really need to stop arguing with you. I feel like Maverikk. :puke:

Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:48 pm
Profile WWW
Squee

American Dad is funnier than Family Guy currently.

:glare:

Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:33 pm
Devil's Advocate

Happy to see The Amazing Race climbing. I think more people are latching on to this season not sucking like the last 2, and returning.

Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:46 pm
Forum General

We'll have to wait and see the actuals and viewers but ever since their premieres Brothers and Sisters has ropped proportionally, in viewers, with Desperate Housewives. It looks like maybe its dropping a bit more while DH remains stable.

I have to say that ABCs advertising and commercial spots for DH are pretty good. I love the kind of music they've infused the advertising with. It just makes you really wanna watch it.

Top Anticipated 2009
1. Nine

Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:59 pm
New Server, Same X

Agreed.

And the ratings are better than you guys are giving it credit for. Right now, it's retaining a better audience out of The Simpsons than shows like Arrested Development and The War at Home did over the past few years (sorry for the unintentional knock at AD).

Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:04 pm
Forum General

Squee wrote:

Agreed.

And the ratings are better than you guys are giving it credit for. Right now, it's retaining a better audience out of The Simpsons than shows like Arrested Development and The War at Home did over the past few years (sorry for the unintentional knock at AD).

It's not a knock at AD. It's a knock at Fox. They have no idea how to do anything other than stick shows after AI. AD should never have been after the Simpsons. Sunday nights should really just be left to the cartoons. AD should've been paired with Scrubs from day one.

Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:00 pm
Wallflower

Anyone know what the ratings are in millions?

Last edited by Magic Mike on Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:47 am
Forum General

TV Guide only had numbers for DH and the CW shows.

Quote:
The only stories this week were NBC's football coverage (Broncos-Raiders) being down almost 4 million (to 9.4 mil); Housewives placing first at 9 but again with a new low (20.02 mil, down 750,000 week-to-week); and CW's transplanted Monday dramas — 7th Heaven (3.15 mil) and Runaway (1.8 mil) — bringing in, across the two hours, nearly the same viewership as the Chris-All of Us-Girlfriends-The Game sitcom quartet, though Heaven was down more than a million from its previous Monday outing.

Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:03 am
Devil's Advocate

NBC can't even make football a hit. It's almost like people hate that station specifically.

Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:21 am
The French Dutch Boy

I personally think the "but it was number #1 in the 18-49 demographic!" argument is bullshit. Yeah, maybe advertisers like that age range, but we're not bloody advertisers. When we follow box office, we don't discriminate against the ages who see the film. I follow TV ratings to see how many PEOPLE are watching certain television shows, and those under 18 and over 49 are people too. I am 19, and therefore I recently entered the "coveted" 18-49 age bracket, but when I was a younger teenager, I still watched all of the hit new shows and all of the usuals. A lot of my younger friends who fall just below 18 watch all the same shows I do. My parents who are over 50 watch some of the same shows I do. From our perspective, in trying to gauge how many people are watching shows and which shows are doing better in terms of viewership, it's entirely silly to cut out a large portion of the population because they aren't 18 yet or are over 49.

If more people watch show A over show B, then show A has more people who like the show and want to keep watching it. Period. That's what I think.

PEACE, Mike.

Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:11 am
Forum General

I personally think the "but it was number #1 in the 18-49 demographic!" argument is bullshit. Yeah, maybe advertisers like that age range, but we're not bloody advertisers. When we follow box office, we don't discriminate against the ages who see the film. I follow TV ratings to see how many PEOPLE are watching certain television shows, and those under 18 and over 49 are people too. I am 19, and therefore I recently entered the "coveted" 18-49 age bracket, but when I was a younger teenager, I still watched all of the hit new shows and all of the usuals. A lot of my younger friends who fall just below 18 watch all the same shows I do. My parents who are over 50 watch some of the same shows I do. From our perspective, in trying to gauge how many people are watching shows and which shows are doing better in terms of viewership, it's entirely silly to cut out a large portion of the population because they aren't 18 yet or are over 49.

If more people watch show A over show B, then show A has more people who like the show and want to keep watching it. Period. That's what I think.

PEACE, Mike.

But we don't determine what shows stay on the air; the networks do. And it's the advertisers who influence the networks, not the audience, per se.

I, too, think it's silly to say that a 49-year-old is more likely to go out and buy stuff than a 55-year-old is, but for the networks, that's just how it works.

Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:03 pm
Profile WWW
The French Dutch Boy

MikeQ. wrote:

PEACE, Mike.

But we don't determine what shows stay on the air; the networks do. And it's the advertisers who influence the networks, not the audience, per se.

I, too, think it's silly to say that a 49-year-old is more likely to go out and buy stuff than a 55-year-old is, but for the networks, that's just how it works.

So? We're not the networks, we're not the advertisers. I want to know which shows are attracting the most viewers and are being the most successful in having the most people like the show. To me, a 19 year old viewer holds no more weight than a 17 year old viewer. Remember, we're comparing shows who are topping the ratings overall using all demographics, versus shows who are topping the ratings in the 18-49 demographic only. Both of these types of shows are going to be making big ratings, so neither will be getting cancelled and not staying on the air.

Therefore the "we don't determine what shows stay on the air" reason holds no weight. Shows that are being cancelled will not hold the "best ratings overall" title nor the "best ratings in the 18-49 demographic" title. This whole argument considers two successful shows, one is getting better ratings overall, and one is getting better ratings only in the 18-49 demographic. Neither show is in risk of being cancelled, so it is a non-issue that shouldn't even be raised.

In my opinion, to say that the show which is topping only the 18-49 demo is doing better than the show which is getting the best ratings overall, is silly and has no merit. That really makes no sense to me.

PEACE, Mike.

Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:24 pm
Forum General

I didn't know you were talking about two shows in particular.

Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:28 pm
Profile WWW
The French Dutch Boy

Well, in that case, I'd agree.

I didn't know you were talking about two shows in particular.

Oh, now I understand what you were trying to say. Yeah, I was moreso concerned with the top show overall and the top show in the 18-49 demographic argument (which occured with the CSI vs. Grey's debate).

If you we're comparing low level shows, then you might have an argument in that the show doing better in the 18-49 demo may have a better chance of not being cancelled. But in this case I would still consider both shows as failures, since they are both doing so poorly in ratings anyways.

PEACE, Mike.

Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:37 pm

Good analysis again, Mike. I wish I was able to clarify my points more clearly than you without provoking too much arguments against the people who disagree so much about the audience bracket. I think Im just too blunt at times :unsure:

Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]