Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:38 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1626 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66  Next
 "Game of Thrones" Season 8 Discussion 
Stealing the show.

Post Re: "Game of Thrones" Season 8 Discussion
Well, whether u like it or not, we are about to have the biggest finale of a tv show since.... Friends?

Love it or hate it, GOT has managed to grab the audience like no there show in decades. We should just witness history as no show will be able to pull what GoT did in a long time.

Now get to Work, Bitch!

Dr. Lecter wrote:
Honestly, re-reading this thread now, especially with Riggs' spot-on reply, one must imagine you drunk, in front of the computer and angrily masturbating over David's posts, while crying at the same time.

Sun May 19, 2019 12:28 pm
Is this heaven, or is this hell?

Sun May 19, 2019 1:28 pm

What a weird faggot of entitlement and audience-neediness this backlash has become. Blabbidy blah blah; if it were more developed than foreshadowed it would've been so obvious to people there'd have been an even bigger outcry than we're currently seeing. How is that not obvious to anyone?

The whole fucking point of the ending, from a commercial point of view, was the mystery; of course it couldn't be progressed through more obviously visible character development.

Nothing in the past couple of seasons, story-wise, has been perfect, D's arc being no exception. The issue would be significantly lessened, however, if the act were somehow made more evil-seeming in nature: which could have been done through more humanising of the city population prior - and that wouldn't have spoiled things anywhere near as much as the gradual introduction of Dany's turn would have.

The issue on-screen was, who really cares what she's doing, beyond the abstract understanding she's burning thousands of innocent people? The GoT audience has been taught to be emotionally invested in those that die, to care about their demise - and the people of King's Landing have always been somewhat conflated with the enemy (even if several other characters have been used as attempts to make up for that distance, through referring to them as potentially disloyal, and so on).

Was actually expecting the show to go all Boy in Striped Pajamas and to kill Arya (sp?) in the carnage, which would've made up for everything just mentioned by highlighting the gravity of D's vehemence without the city needing to matter. As it was, we needed to be taught to care more about the beauty and grandeur of the KL city, and to identify more with its people, for us to be invested in such a way the twist-approach justified the relatively sudden change of character.

If they'd managed to do that much, it'd have been as good a turn as any in the whole series, and completely fitting for the general anarchy of the show. But to say Dany needed to have her madness developed more carefully is stupid to what the outcome would've been. It's the intrigue that gives the show a direction for its anarchy-motor to travel in; stripping that away would have only caused even more entitled bitching about things being done too obviously.

To me it was perfectly OK as it was - even though I didn't care much about a dragon shooting fire-off in the distance, and even though no amount of women and children we don't know burning to death didn't add any drama (to this series, at least), the rest of the episode's magnitude kind of made up for it.

Sun May 19, 2019 7:06 pm
Indiana Jones IV

Mau wrote:
Well, whether u like it or not, we are about to have the biggest finale of a tv show since.... Friends?

Love it or hate it, GOT has managed to grab the audience like no there show in decades. We should just witness history as no show will be able to pull what GoT did in a long time.

True, but which TV show was the biggest audience and had the best final season/finale. Breaking Bad?

Sun May 19, 2019 9:03 pm
Profile WWW

The Walking Dead has had way bigger numbers for the majority of its run. Breaking Bad just scraped past 10 million in the finale premiere; and probably the episode a couple before it was better - at least everyone seemed to think so at the time.

I know that wasn't meant for me but this all has the brain ticking a fair bit. Has GoT ever been as good as BB? I think it's probably just more dramatic and binge-worthy - even at its best, it's still extremely character-ego-driven, whereas BB was straight-up masterly without any resortment to gratuity.

Game of Thrones is more...engrossing (there's the word), but given the past couple of seasons it'll be remembered mostly for things like the Red Wedding and Ramsey and Battle of the Bastards (which these last two seasons have allured to constantly, to make sure of it) and the Hodor twist; which regardless of what anyone says, could well have been an idea given by good old Groucho here (even if he himself reckons GRRM planned it all along).

I can see why people are getting upset about the general trajectory of the core drama, which was on a sustained upper until the end of season 6, and took a sudden descent through season 7. For a while there, the show just kept getting better and better, became more entertaining than practically every film epic thanks to the allowances of 10 episode seasons, and the sheer broadness of Martin's creative scope. I guess at a personal level I stopped caring about that which the show led me to feel expecting of, which went along with watching most stuff on a shitty burner phone these days. The change.org petition is nothing more than a laugh; whinging won't change anything, so better to focus on the better elements than set your ego up for a predictable disappointment, imo.

Even Breaking Bad's finale received some flack, because the final season already peaked when Hank died. I think it's mostly a case that audiences become way too greedy when they've been shown the high watermark, and the last impression doesn't reach it. There are TED talks on the psychology of that stuff, actually (Daniel Kahnemann's for example).

Sun May 19, 2019 9:47 pm
Extraordinary

Backlash incoming...

Sun May 19, 2019 10:24 pm
Profile WWW
Stealing the show.

Yep.

I liked the finale. But the backlash is already at an all time high.

Now get to Work, Bitch!

Dr. Lecter wrote:
Honestly, re-reading this thread now, especially with Riggs' spot-on reply, one must imagine you drunk, in front of the computer and angrily masturbating over David's posts, while crying at the same time.

Sun May 19, 2019 10:31 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

The finale was fine. It was very dragged out, but without any material to go off of (and unknown GRRM involvement), I thought it was a mostly satisfying conclusion given the task of ending it all. Bran as King is fine, it's just a little bewildering(?) that he clearly sees into the future and knew he was going to be crowned King. It sort of opens up a can of worms regarding basically everything from the point he became the Three-Eyed Raven onward.

And the scenes with Drogon mourning Dany were the most emotional. And the real question that didn't get answered... What happened with Drogon?! I was hoping that we'd see him drop Dany's body off in Old Valyria as her final resting place, and maybe/hopefully rejoin the babies he/she laid back in season 5 (I still like that theory!), but we got a random question from Bran and the others asking of his whereabouts that lead to nothing, so...

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sun May 19, 2019 10:35 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

I found the culmination of Jon Snow and Dany's relationship (and the dragon melting the Iron Throne) incredibly satisfying and well-crafted, at once tragic and creepy and infused with a genuine sense of the epic and mythic. The rest of the episode is fine, but, dominated as it is by fairly tepid (by this series' standard) political chicanery and maneuvering, it left me colder. I have lingering questions: with the Unsullied sailing away, I am not sure why Jon cannot at least live in Winterfell? Because they might hear of it and return to wage war? Between the fragility of peace with the Unsullied, the North establishing itself again as an independent land, Aegon Targaryen's continued existence (and how poorly kept the secret is), etc., the conclusion feels ripe for further games of thrones. Which is maybe the point? Is the Night's Watch now exclusively on dragon watch?

A few of the moments register a tad too contemporary and/or on-the-nose comic; the lords laughing at Sam's suggestion of democracy, for example, or Bronn's "Lord of Grammar" one-liner.

There will be fallout in the coming days amid waves of Last Jedi-flavored fan entitlement, of course, but I am definitely grateful for the emotional, visceral, and at times brilliant ride Game of Thrones provided for eight years.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun May 19, 2019 10:59 pm
KJ's Most Embarssing Misspeller

lmao what a crap last two seasons. Let’s just pretend the finale of season 6 was the end.

Magnus is right
trixster wrote:
magnus is my hero
Loyal wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:
Magnus is the fucking voice of reason.
That's scary.
bABA wrote:
fuck Magnus
zwackerm wrote:
You're incredibly overrated and and if they made a Pixar film about you it would gross less than The Good Dinosaur.

Sun May 19, 2019 11:03 pm
Hold the door!

The finale was easily the best episode of the season. They still failed to have Daenerys make sense. I did not buy it being the same character from two episodes at all. Other than that it was relatively satisfying.

Sun May 19, 2019 11:12 pm
llegó a la casa vía marítima

My biggest complaint is that Arya served no purpose in the finale so she should've been killed off in the last episode when Daenerys torched everything, and THAT's what should've set Jon off and made him decide to kill Daenerys.

Mon May 20, 2019 12:08 am
Extraordinary

I rather liked it. *shrug*

Tbh the only thing I was disappointed with Dany's ending felt so anticlimatic but Drogon destroying the iron throne made me emotional.

Mon May 20, 2019 1:06 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

Fuck Jon Snow.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon May 20, 2019 1:24 am

The backlash is insane though, these past two episodes have been a mess. I think this may mean the series is not remembered like people thought it would be. The first four seasons will always be classics but after that I'm not sure.

Mon May 20, 2019 2:04 am
Waitress in LA

Jesus fuckballs from an asshole's shit-leakage, hands down the worst ending for a show of this size since apes were smashing skulls and bones around that phallus of a black monolith.

The fuck did I just watch.

Was literally about to turn the damn thing off to finish in short installments while taking the morning shit over the next week, but then Jon Snow pulled the knife out and gave the episode the closest thing to something scrapebly un-cringeworthy.

That bit was alright. Everything else was like having your balls put in a serrated vice covered in vinegar while a crow with an infected beak rapidly pecks at your urethra.

The biggest TV cringe-fest in history.

Forget everything said about Dany's arc being somewhat passable for the other merits; this episode made so many facepalmng logical errors it redefined fiction altogether, could easily justify a lawsuit against the writers for gratuitous bodily harm.

These fuckwits aren't just burnt out; their brains are scorched fucking earth.

Even Tyrion's speech was painfully lazy - the 'stories' bit was so obviously lifted from Noah Yuval Harari it could be considered fucking plagiarism.

Fuck David Benioff, Fuck DB Weiss, and Fuck what they did to this show - may they end up DPing Virgil while they high-five each other with smug grins on their faces as he guides them into the seventh circle of hell to burn for 50 billion years while being forced to watch this sewerlog of a finale ad infinitum while hanging from the skin of their ballsacks, before spending 500 trillion years fighting each other to the death with tiny teaspoons over and and over to avoid 1000 trillion years of the first 50 billion, before finally spending infinity reliving the Lust murder from Seven (as the victim) with George R R Martin playing a sadistic version of the unlucky killer.

Mon May 20, 2019 2:33 am
Extraordinary

Drogon not dying was my only satisfaction.

How could this have ended better?
By using a time jump and quick edits of action in between the pre-filler with endless Tyrion babbling.
Have Dany do her conquering. Jon ever loyal and ever conflicted. After 10 years of traversing the world conquering everything in sight while showing clips of the various houses of Dorne/Winterfell etc being defeated spend the last 30 minutes with Jon and Dany and maybe THEN kill her.

I did like Drogon melting the throne. I found it hilarious and ridiculous that Jon was banished AGAIN even though he's I guess the last Targaryen.

Wouldn't Bran be the most dangerous ruler when he can reach into the past and see anyone's secrets or peer into the present and spy on anyone. It seems like after all that Dany destroyed they are just gonna rebuild it and repeat history. Am I supposed to expect after Bran dies or somehow gets drowned while bathing that Sansa isn't gonna march down and make claim. It's just a bit meh and sad how things ended up.

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Mon May 20, 2019 8:27 am
Extraordinary

Barrabás wrote:
My biggest complaint is that Arya served no purpose in the finale so she should've been killed off in the last episode when Daenerys torched everything, and THAT's what should've set Jon off and made him decide to kill Daenerys.

I'd agree to that but would anyone have even known unless I guess her corpse was identified.

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Mon May 20, 2019 8:33 am
The Kramer

I liked the final episode a lot. It still feels like there should be another season where the Night King comes back though. The Ice and Fire plot line just doesn’t seem resolved with Jon’s “justice” being that he has to hang out with his dog and second best bro.

I like the ending for every other character. Vegas spoiled King Bran but I don’t think anyone believed and the scene where Tyrion crowned him worked excellently and I only figured it out after Sam’s attempt to invent democracy was completely shut down. Brienne filling out Jaime’s additions to the Kingsguard was very touching. And what’s not to like about Tyrion’s new small council?

Mon May 20, 2019 11:25 am
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

I guess my expectations coming in well very low because of how S7 & S8 turned out. The episode ending was ok and decent , I wasn't really disappointed in the episode itself but how the last dozen episodes turned out.

Had D&D not change all the narrative and subplots in S5, the arcs would have been melded together better. Imagine if Selmy was still alive and alive in S5, I could imagine that GRRM would do something like using him as a placeholder for Missendi to be executed and viserated by Cersai in front of an angry Kings landing mob all throwing stones and spitting at Selmy. That would have served as a better device to set off Dany to see the type of people that Kingslanding has as their civilians.

The ending though should have been more tragic and I was hoping for less fortunate endings for some characters though

Mon May 20, 2019 11:50 am
New Server, Same X

I can't sit here and say the finale wasn't underwhelming cause it was. I think it was a perfectly adequate ending. Whoever said the final episode would basically be a wrap-up was right, despite the big character ending in the middle.

If I could have done it differently, I'd probably combine Seasons 7 and 8 for one big season (10-12 episodes), and especially combine the last two episodes into one. Because I think it needed the big visuals and effects from episode 5 in there to make it feel epic and more of a finale. It would have still disappointed those who didn't like the season, but at least would have felt bigger in scope.

Again, people can blame D&D all they want, but the fact is, GRRM would have finished this story long ago if he could think of a proper, fitting ending. I don't think there's any shame in admitting "Hey, I created this massive tale, but now I don't know how to close the book for good". If I'm wrong and he finishes the last two books and they're good, I'll eat my words. But each passing day tips the scales in favor of the story never being officially finished by him and we'll, at best, get an incomplete ending or an ending finished by one of the two other writers (Dave Hill and Bryan Cogman).

Mon May 20, 2019 1:00 pm
Forum General

I enjoyed it. My biggest quibble with the finale is that when the lords aye to Bran for king and Sansa demands independence for the north, there's no reaction from the other lords. Not very realistic.

I want to see a spinoff called West of Westeros more than the upcoming prequel series.

Mon May 20, 2019 5:10 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

I’m surprised the backlash for this was as strong as last week. Or maybe its just carrying over?

Mon May 20, 2019 7:21 pm

SolC9 wrote:
I enjoyed it. My biggest quibble with the finale is that when the lords aye to Bran for king and Sansa demands independence for the north, there's no reaction from the other lords. Not very realistic.

I want to see a spinoff called West of Westeros more than the upcoming prequel series.

That part was a total mess tbh. Realistically it all would've resulted in another civil war for control of the crown. Or does it even make sense to have multiple kingdoms united considering the capital has been destroyed??

At least the Jon/Daenerys/White Walkers storylines came to a satisfying conclusion.

Tue May 21, 2019 12:10 am
New Server, Same X

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
I’m surprised the backlash for this was as strong as last week. Or maybe its just carrying over?

The backlash has been building since the start of the season (and Season 7 to a much lesser extent), so it only gathered steam till the very end.

I think they set up Arya to potentially have a continuation of some sort eventually, maybe even a film. Doubt it would ever happen, but I figure that was the point of her ending.

Tue May 21, 2019 12:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1626 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66  Next