Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1463 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52 ... 59  Next
 "Game of Thrones" Season 8 Discussion 
Pure Phase

Post Re: "Game of Thrones" Season 6
The chains are unnecessary, too. It would be an incredibly epic moment to see the zombie dragon rise from below the water. And the Night King's magic is fairly poorly defined, so no one could say, "Oh, no, sir. He can only revive dead beings on land."

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:51 pm
100% That Bitch

Ombie dragon trumps logic

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:51 pm
100% That Bitch

Ao ur conplaing about how a zombie dragon was created? Fuck off

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:52 pm
Pure Phase

Not complaining. Just observing, speculating, having a conversation. You're the loser if you can only accept vapid, "OMFG!" posts, though I know you are capable of nothing more.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:54 pm
Pure Phase

Who died falling over the small cliff into a pit of wights?

Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:57 pm
Keeping it Light

For as much that this season has been entertaining, it feels to have more plot holes, where we just have to assume it all makes sense, too then ever before. I'm not bothered by it, because the show is so good right now, but it does take something away from it.

I enjoyed reading this article too.
https://www.theringer.com/game-of-thrones/2017/8/18/16163046/season-7-biggest-mistakes

Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:03 pm
Pure Phase

Even though I have watched this series without reading the novels, I can tell they are in "new" space now versus drawing from Martin's already-published writing. There is far less hand-wringing over connective tissue and mythology. If they want this character to be in this place for this event, it just happens. Westeros feels smaller and less wild as a result, but I also enjoy the expediency and find the show more gripping from moment to moment.

Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:09 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

Arya is annoying. Hated her in this episode.

Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:15 pm
Profile YIM
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: "Game of Thrones" Season 7
I loved this episode, but it also made little sense given how detailed the series has been throughout.

Somehow, in the span of 24 hours (likely less): Gendry runs back to Eastwatch < Eastwatch sends a raven to Dragonstone < Raven arrives at Dragonstone < Dany departs for Eastwatch < Dany arrives beyond the wall.

I tend to overlook characters traveling across large distances in a relatively short amount of time, and understand that days/weeks can pass between episodes and understandably so, but tonight's episode really, really pushes the limits of fantastical belief in this regard.

The Hound throwing those rocks was also silly. The wights were seemingly unaware that the water had frozen over again until that moment.

Also, why didn't the White Walkers freeze over the lake/pond to allow the wights to proceed? Why didn't the White Walkers themselves go after the squad? The Night King launched an ice lance like a missile through the air after all... In comparison, look how hastily the White Walkers and wights behaved at Hardhome or the Three-Eyed Raven's cave.

Perhaps the Night King has the sight ability which allowed him to foresee Dany coming, prompting him to use the opportunity to his advantage to turn a dragon (maybe that's why they had those massive chains...), since it may be instrumental in crossing the wall, but I doubt we'll really know and it seems a bit much.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:43 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

And can I just say that Tyrion has been uncharacteristically incompetent this season? It was his suggestion that they bring a wight down from the north to show Cersei in the first place. It's understandable to be worried for Dany's life, but his plan and the lives of everyone who went beyond the wall seemed to vanish completely from his mind.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:54 pm
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

David wrote:
Who died falling over the small cliff into a pit of wights?

This seemed to be a kind of out of nowhere wildling.

Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:58 pm
Hold the door!

Good episode but..,

Is it just me or does the lack of major casualties feel cheap in these big battles? Like everyone happens to die but the main characters? It's unbelievable that Jon, Tormund, Beric, Jorah and the Hound would all have survived hundreds of white walkers. The one human death (Thoros)!was of exposure not even a wight.

Realistically, they all should have died but Jon.

They did the same thing in episode 4 this season and with last seasons Battle of the Bastards.

Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:31 am
Pure Phase

Tormund surviving felt a stretch considering the circumstances and the focus on how precarious a situation he found himself in within the overall fight.

Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:07 am
Devil's Advocate

Post Re: "Game of Thrones" Season 7 Discussion
The episode was really enjoyable and even non battle things like Tormund/The Hound and Jon/Dany scenes were great. But there was definitely some dumb stuff logic wise in this episode. As mentioned the amount of time it would take for Gendry to run back/a raven to get to Dany/Dany to fly the dragons north. Killing the white walker drops all the wights except one so they can capture it. Or the Night King choosing to throw his spear at a farther away hard to hit flying dragon, instead of one sitting on the ground in front of him that had the heroes on it

Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:31 am
New Server, Same X

So, I do have some complaints, but none of the major ones people have:

-I agree with zwack, it's starting to feel like Walking Dead where they won't kill off anyone major now. I'm all for the out-of-nowhere Benjen rescues, but his death wasn't a major one when I forgot he even existed. Bronn should have died in episode 4, and Tormund (and probably someone else) should have died here. But because they're now "favorites", can't kill them off yet.

-I'm never a fan of when Walking Dead has "new" characters interact with each other, for the sake of "Oh look at X and Y talking to each other!" That's what half of the episode beyond the wall felt like. Let's have Hound and Tormund talk now, they've never met before! Feels a tad lazy.

I only complain because I love this show. The episode was still fantastic. I felt like Dany had the edge with the dragons over any battle, but now with one down (and zombified), feels like there's more at stake. And I don't pay much mind to when they defy logic lately. We're staring down the barrel of our last SEASON finale, and we're only six episodes deep on the season. Things have to be sped up.

Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:47 am
Romosexual!

DEAD DRAGON vs LIVE DRAGONS :D

Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:19 am
The Wall

While the story being at the end makes the show really predictable now, I thought it was a very good episode after all.

I kind of get that they are having way to many stuff being too convenient (and it's a thing I myself am unsure what to think about as they unnecessarily open up a lot of plot holes) but considering the plot moves way faster than ever before I think it's a somewhat balanced trade off compared to the more meticulously plotted but slightly slower episodes in the previous seasons.

It's one thing to write a season when you have a 1000 page book to cover yourself with every little connection and plot detail explained, but it's another when you probably go on a summarized story end GRRM provided them with. It might not likely be the writers fault they can't connect the dots as they should. Considering how long he has been writing Winds it wouldn't surprise me that GRRM actually hit a wall trying to make everything come together nicely.

Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:04 am
Profile WWW
Dont Mess with the Gez

David wrote:
Benjen ex machina.

A very strong episode in general, though. Though an ass on Facebook ruined the final scene for me a few days ago (in a comment beneath an unrelated article).

The same thing happened to me via a Facebook post and irritates me to no end.

Great episode though I did feel the timing was off more than in previous episodes. Ie. seems like the stand off lasted mere hours, yet Gendry managed to get back to the wall, send off a Raven to Dany and then have her fly over to the rescue. I don't usually care about the time jumps but it was more of an issue in this episode.

Edit : read the other posts and I see others had similar issues with this episode.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:59 am
The Wall

MadGez wrote:
Great episode though I did feel the timing was off more than in previous episodes. Ie. seems like the stand off lasted mere hours, yet Gendry managed to get back to the wall, send off a Raven to Dany and then have her fly over to the rescue. I don't usually care about the time jumps but it was more of an issue in this episode.

To be fair they tried to make it like at least a day and a half passed during the stand off. Gendry started to run during the day (very early on I'd say), they showed him seeing the wall at dusk, then cut to the Jon party while it was much darker, and then back to Gendry coming to the wall finally which I'd say it was way into the night by then. Dany received the raven early morning and went to help them and got them in the afternoon or so. So they at least tried to make it seem like a believable amount of time passed there. I don't know if anyone ever tried to put Westeros into a real life scale to see the distances, but there have been many teleportations this season where they didn't bother even to try to make it look like much time passed. I wasn't really bothered as much by time line in this scene.

Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:30 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

It was interesting watching this episode a few days after seeing Wind River, which heavily involves people's lungs "exploding" from running in subzero temperatures.

Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:20 pm
Hold the door!

This is NOT the best episode of the season. 2, 3 and 4 were all better.

Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:13 pm
Keeping it Light

Hmm...it's top 2 for me, with #4. Then 2, the even episodes have been more pleasing than the uneven so far.

Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:27 pm
Hold the door!

This episode was pretty much just spectacle. The writing was poor (especially Arya and Sansa) and the story and character motivations made no sense.

Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:36 pm
Keeping it Light

"Let's go beyond the wall and catch a wight", was the single weakest idea they could ever have to do more good than harm. It's simply ludicrous, but it made for a very entertaining episode, right from the dialogue at the start to the final shot spelling doom, so I still find it hard to knock them for it.

Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:54 pm
Devil's Advocate

stuffp wrote:
"Let's go beyond the wall and catch a wight so we can make an alliance with a murderous psychopathic bitch"

Ftfy

Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1463 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52 ... 59  Next