Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:40 pm

Reply to topic  [ 384 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 The Criterion thread 
Hatchling

Post Re: The Criterion thread
So did anyone get anything during the sale?

Here's what I got:

Rossellini War Trilogy
The Thief of Bagdad
Hiroshima mon amour
Brand Upon the Brain!
La ronde
Lola Montes
Viridiana
Throne of Blood

Already I can't wait for the next sale!

Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:08 am
Indiana Jones IV

Yoshue, how do you feel about Night of the Hunter joining the collection? It might be announced on Monday!

Last edited by junio on Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:45 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I bought 1.

Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:56 am
Indiana Jones IV

What'd you get snack? And you own a Blu player yet? I've vowed never to give in.

Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:58 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

nope, but the 1 I bought was a blu-Ray. :oops:

Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:45 am
Teenage Dream

junio wrote:
What'd you get snack? And you own a Blu player yet? I've vowed never to give in.

I'm attempting the same. It has proven to be insanely difficult (especially with the release of the Powell & Pressburger films on Blu), but I'm still a holdout.

And what's this about Night of the Hunter joining the collection? Where did you hear this? Very exciting news, if it's true.

Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:53 am
loyalfromlondon

From the June newsletter:

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:15 am
Teenage Dream

trixster wrote:
From the June newsletter:

Aw, I totally missed this.

Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:05 pm
Extraordinary

by the fucking way, vivre sa vie blu-ray on my parents' million inch tv is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. totally worth the cost of my flight back home. I feel bad that I've only seen it on vhs in a halogen-flooded library back room before.

I'm gonna watch it again tonight hopefully.

Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:59 pm
Extraordinary

I'd make a thread for this, but I can't. : - (

so makeshift and junio and (probably lurking) yosh...I have the same lavish blu-ray huge screen setup for the next few weeks....what do I watch?

I'm big into new-ish asian stuff lately...so that would be nice. especially want stuff set in contemporary (metropolitan) china. seen and loved all of wong kar-wai, a bunch of hou hsiao-hsien, Yi Yi, weerasethakul (whose movies, btw, all have a 2.7 average on netflix), goodbye dragon inn, satoshi kon and some of other usual suspects.

also, definitely in the mood for some makeshift-y movies (have you seen hausu yet, btw? OMFG)

my list atm (all of which I've been holding out for a big screen to watch on):
barry lyndon
the fly
gertrud
some zhang ke jia (haven't seen any)
whatever hsiao-hsien hou I can find

doesn't have to be blu-ray of course.
quickly...3 ship tomorrow.

Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:12 pm
Indiana Jones IV

I saw Jia Zhang Ke's Still Life this Summer. It was good . It's very modern, about the construction of the Three Gorges Dam and the relocation of entire villages.

Have you never seen The Fly? If so, it's a must!

You liked Yi Yi, huh?

Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:31 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Diary of a Lost Girl
Bay of Angels
La nana
Midnight
Se, Jie (Lust, Caution) to comply with your Chinese.

Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:25 am
Profile WWW
Us v Them

Have you seen Hana bi/Fireworks by Takeshi Kitano? I haven't watched it myself yet but it's one of the most favorite movies by someone whose taste I normally trust.

Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:07 am
Powered By Hate

Eureka
Satantango
Werckmeister Harmonies
Almanac Of Fall
Suspiria

Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:41 pm
Extraordinary

junio wrote:
You liked Yi Yi, huh?

how could someone not? yang is probably one of the directors I most want to catch up on but his films are impossible to find. I bought tickets to a screening of a brighter summer day at lincoln center a couple of months ago but I missed it.

Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:58 pm
Extraordinary

junio wrote:
Diary of a Lost Girl
Bay of Angels
La nana
Midnight

yeah those are actually all on my list...but not sure if any are really the type of movie I can only see on a big screen. maybe diary of a lost girl...but I (strangely) don't love pandora's box.

Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:01 pm
Extraordinary

Groaning wrote:
Have you seen Hana bi/Fireworks by Takeshi Kitano? I haven't watched it myself yet but it's one of the most favorite movies by someone whose taste I normally trust.

not on netflix. free leech on pass the popcorn though, so I'm DL'ing it.

Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:03 pm
Extraordinary

Tyler wrote:
Eureka
Satantango
Werckmeister Harmonies
Almanac Of Fall
Suspiria

actually I tried to do a bela tarr thing last time I was at my parents' house, but werckmeister dvd netflix sent me was unplayable after about 15 minutes though (I did see that first scene though.....) and I just sort of moved on. yeah...so I guess I'll add werkmeister again and satantango to start with.

eureka's not on netflix, but I grabbed it on pass the popcorn.

suspiria I've seen (and own) and love and stuff....actually, that's kinda what I meant by makeshift movies. so anything else like suspiria? (or hausu, which everyone should watch immediately)

Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:11 pm
Indiana Jones IV

Lucy Moran wrote:
junio wrote:
Diary of a Lost Girl
Bay of Angels
La nana
Midnight

yeah those are actually all on my list...but not sure if any are really the type of movie I can only see on a big screen. maybe diary of a lost girl...but I (strangely) don't love pandora's box.

I don't quite love Pandora's Box, but Diary is so much better! I would also love to see Bay of Angels and Se, Jie on a huge screen.

Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:37 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Oh and A Brighter Summer Day is supposedly being released by Criterion! I am dying til we get to see the rest of Yang's movies.

Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:43 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

DeepDiscount.com is having a 45% off Criterion sale! I should take advantage and get the von Sternberg silents but I'm so broke. The low season is definitely here, I haven't been this short of cash since before the Summer started! I don't know how long the sale will last.

Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:29 pm
Profile WWW
Teenage Dream

throbbing snack wrote:
I'd make a thread for this, but I can't. : - (

so makeshift and junio and (probably lurking) yosh...I have the same lavish blu-ray huge screen setup for the next few weeks....what do I watch?

I'm big into new-ish asian stuff lately...so that would be nice. especially want stuff set in contemporary (metropolitan) china. seen and loved all of wong kar-wai, a bunch of hou hsiao-hsien, Yi Yi, weerasethakul (whose movies, btw, all have a 2.7 average on netflix), goodbye dragon inn, satoshi kon and some of other usual suspects.

also, definitely in the mood for some makeshift-y movies (have you seen hausu yet, btw? OMFG)

my list atm (all of which I've been holding out for a big screen to watch on):
barry lyndon
the fly
gertrud
some zhang ke jia (haven't seen any)
whatever hsiao-hsien hou I can find

doesn't have to be blu-ray of course.
quickly...3 ship tomorrow.

Hi snacky. :)

Sorry I've missed this. Hope you are still relishing in the riches of your folks. I know what that's like first hand.

As for Hausu - FUCKING YES. Totally phenomenal film. The inventiveness is so exhilarating and contagious. I actually caught the re-release of it at one of the local art houses here in Portland. Such a great time. Speaking of which, a remastered print of Breathless is currently playing up here. Very exciting.

As for "makeshift-y" movies, I'm sort of at a loss as to what that means anymore. I feel like my old KJ persona has kind of outgrown what I am today as far a movie watching goes (should I be admitting this right now?), but hasn't that happened to all of us at least once?

Off the top of my head, I haven't seen you comment on any Nicholas Roeg films before. I'd recommend Bad Timing for starters. It's such an exercise in film editing. Enthralling. Really any of his work would be worth a dive. I noticed you mentioned Suspiria and that you liked it... have you ever given Mario Bava a spin? He did essentially what Argento did, except roughly 10-15 years earlier, and maybe a bit better (blasphemous?). Blood and Black Lace in particular is a beauty. Shitty thing is most of his work is on crappy, bottom-of-the-barrel DVDs, so your luxurious setup might be a bit of a waste on those.

How's about Peter Greenaway? If you're not familiar, I'd recommend trying to track down a copy of The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover or A Zed & Two Noughts or The Draughtsman's Contract. I think he has the same issue as Bava, though (shitty DVDs), so again this might not be worth your time.

I know P&P are pretty old hat by now, but if you haven't seen The Red Shoes or Black Narcissus, DO IT NOW. Criterion just recently unleashed them both on Blu-Ray, and they are absolutely life changing movies. And I mean that in total sincerness. If you've never seen them, now is the perfect opportunity.

I know you're familiar with Nicholas Ray, so I won't mention him (though if you can see Bigger Than Life on Blu-Ray, please do. And please make me jealous.) Also, I know you love you some Godard, so if you haven't seen Pierrot le fou on Blu, do it now. I had the opportunity to see it at one of my friend's house, and it is a revelation in that format.

Others... Jacques Tati (Playtime was pretty much made for something like Blu-Ray. I saw a 70mm print of it, and it was an amazing experience, and I think Blu-Ray is the only format that can come close to something like 70mm) and John Ford if you've never seen his stuff on a big screen.

I'm sorry this list couldn't be more exhaustive or interesting. Truth is I'm a bit drunk, and I don't feel like I could add much to what you already know to see.

Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:50 am
Extraordinary

that's a long post. for now, I'll just say that the first week or so of my movie time didn't work out. did watch bird with the crystal plumage last night though.

Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:51 pm
Teenage Dream

Not sure if this will be heard through all the spam (dudes, get yr Inceptionz now!!11!!), but the B&N 50% off sale is happening now. Buy the girlfriend/boyfriend/father/mother/Michael A in your life a Criterion, and maybe they will stfu and stop trying to talk to you about movies.

Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:05 am
Indiana Jones IV

I'm getting:

Complete Monterey Pop
Guitry Eclipse
von Sternberg silents
Magnificent Obsession
Last Year at Marienbad
The Red Shoes
Paths of Glory
Le plaisir
Beauty and the Beast
Stagecoach

Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:21 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 384 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next