Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 384 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next
 The Criterion thread 
Teenage Dream

Post The Criterion thread
This a thread where we can all talk about our recent Criterion purchases, and get all antsy-pantsy about future arrivals.

I still haven't gotten anything from the amazing October releases (Breathless, Mala Noche and Days of FUCKING Heaven), and this makes me feel like a bit of a douche. If anyone does have any of these, I'd love to hear about how amazing and perfect they are.

November has some pretty sweet stuff. The Lady Vanishes should be money, but the cover art is kind of nasty: http://www.criterion.com/content/images ... 48x490.jpg

December is pretty much meh, with really the only thing worth a look being the four masterworks of Bergman collection (http://www.criterion.com/asp/boxed_set.asp?id=10013). I think The Seventh Seal is getting a new transfer for it, which kind of makes it worth it by itself.

January is shaping up really nicely, with 4 by Agnes Varda being a must buy (http://www.criterion.com/asp/boxed_set.asp?id=418), and three others that at the very least look interesting.

Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:42 am
invading your spaces

Post Re: The Criterion thread
I stopped buying DVDs awhile back though (mostly rent now)

Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:07 pm
Profile WWW
Kypade

I bought Breathless and received Days of Heaven on the same day, as a gift (best surprise/day ever, btw), but havent had time to really check either of them out. Breathless looks great, and the packaging on it is beautiful and amazing and perfect, but that's about all I've seen of either.

Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:07 am
Superman: The Movie

I have

The Life Aquatic - 2 Disc
The Royal Tenenbaums
The Rock
Armageddon
Chasing Amy
Robocop

The only one that I don't have that I'd really like is Rushmore. The only other two I'd be interested in are Seven Samurai and Spartacus, but since I haven't seen either and since both are well over $30, those would be very expensive blind buys.

And if what Roeper said on Ebert & Roeper recently is true, then I'll also get Bottle Rocket when it comes out and eventually after that, The Darjeeling Limited.

Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:05 am
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

Hmmm...I confess, makeshift, I like that Lady Vanishes artwork (and it sure beats that of the first release), but do I upgrade? Not immediately. Can't afford it!

I only got Pandora's Box and Ace in the Hole and Metropolitan and Kind Hearts & Coronets and 49th Parallel (suffice to say, the most disappointing Powell & Pressburger I've yet come across) over the last two/three months. Days of Heaven and Under the Volcano (which I have not seen) are calling my name at the moment.

Anyone get the criterion e-mail newsletter? Some months it's a cool, quick read, and other months they clearly didn't bother.

Jmart, the Bottle Rocket criterion news came straight from the mouth of Wes Anderson himself. Years of rumors finally coming to a happy end!

Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:16 pm
Teenage Dream

Andrew have you ever attempted a Rublev/Solaris doubleheader? What a Grindhouse that would be! We own a lot of the same movies.

kypade the covert art for Breathless is the main reason I want to buy it. I don't think it's Godard's best (in fact I'm kind of meh on it overall, I think I need to watch it again), but that art is too beautiful to not have in your collection.

Jmart the fact that you own the Robocop OOP edition is pretty amazing. I eBay hunted that one for a long, long time until the great 20th Anniversary Edition came out recently, which has the X-rated cut and a better transfer. I think that the new Seven Samurai Criterion did is one of the best DVDs of all time. I would recommend that you get it, no question.

yoshue the new cover art is definitely a step up, but I still hate that floating head in the background. The thing I enjoy most about the newsletter is the hint or clue they give you at the end for the upcoming announcements. It makes for a couple of weeks of fun theories.

Is Darjeeling getting a Criterion release? I had heard there might be some issues with it. It would be a shame for the streak to not continue, especially since Anderson will have his entire filmography on Criterion soon with the Bottle Rocket news. How enviable is that?

Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:45 pm
Kypade

Not only the cover art, though.

(none of the pictures are mine, but it gives you an idea of how great this set is. and that doesn't even show the inside of the slip case, which is like, the coolest)

Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:48 pm

yoshue wrote:
Jmart, the Bottle Rocket criterion news came straight from the mouth of Wes Anderson himself. Years of rumors finally coming to a happy end!

That's great news.

Makeshift wrote:
Jmart the fact that you own the Robocop OOP edition is pretty amazing. I eBay hunted that one for a long, long time until the great 20th Anniversary Edition came out recently, which has the X-rated cut and a better transfer. I think that the new Seven Samurai Criterion did is one of the best DVDs of all time. I would recommend that you get it, no question.

As for Robocop, I think it was just one of those things. I got it a couple of years before it went out of print for something like $15. Now that the new edition is out, it's not that big a deal, but it's still nice to hold onto, because I think it's the correct aspect ratio to Verhoeven's likings.

As for The Seven Samurai, I'll probably buy it around christmas time.

Last edited by Jmart on Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:43 pm
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

The Seven Samurai re-issue is a frustrating topic for me. I got the Kurosawa box set a few years ago, and that was the only film in the box I'd seen. I didn't exactly flip for the other films in the box (Yojimbo, Sanjuro, The Hidden Fortress), so it was almost like I paid 80 bucks for SS alone. So it's hard for me to justify the purchase of this new one, although it is unquestionably a DVD must-have.

Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:01 pm
loyalfromlondon

I don't own any Criterions, but I hope to rectify that soon. 'Specially with that Breathless release. These can be bought in regular stores, no? Not just over their website?

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:21 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

Depends on the store. Not Wal-Marts, but Barnes & Nobles, for example, are bleeding with 'em.

Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:25 pm
Kypade

Yeah, Barnes and Noble/Borders/similar big bookstores get them. Best Buy type stores get some of the popular ones. But your best bet is online, probably. DVD Planet . com usually sells em at about 40% off retail, and Deepdiscount.com isn't much more than that. Deep Discount is also gonna be having their 20% off everything sale within a week or two, so that's a great place to start. http://www.deepdiscount.com/Criterion-C ... iewcat.htm

then again, shipping to canada might make it not worthwhile, especially if you get stuck with customs charges and crap.

Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:31 pm
Teenage Dream

Yeah, you'll have a hard time finding much outside of the Wes Anderson movies at places like Wal-Mart and Target, but places like Suncoast, Circuit City, Best Buy and apparently Barnes & Noble (WTF) do carry them.

Your best bet though is DVD Planet: http://dvdplanet.com/

Yeah, it's online, but no one sells Criterion's for cheaper. And they have a huge sale coming up.

and kypade, that is beautiful. I can't wait to get it.

Last edited by makeshift on Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:35 pm
Teenage Dream

Ha, we posted pretty much the same thing kypade.

I think it is DVD Planet that is having the sale though, isn't it? I mean, they are the same company, so it could be both...?

Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:36 pm
Kypade

Deep Discount has it twice a year, June and November usually, and then DVD Planet usually follows it up with the same exact sale a few days/weeks later. So yeah, both of them will be having the sale soon, and youre right, dvd planet's probably the better bet for Criterions.

Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:38 pm
loyalfromlondon

Yeah, the thing I was worried about was shipping up here. Usually, when ordering from a U.S. website, Canada counts as overseas, and I get stuck with a shitload of shipping + handling charges. So I'd rather be able to just walk into a store and get one.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:00 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

I think I have a few Criterion DVD's I'd have to look, but they sort of fall under different banners and films.

I have Andrei Rublev and Le Jettee (I'll assume they are on this list at you) for example but I'm pretty sure they ain't Criterion.

EDIT: Seems to be a Region 1 thingie only from what i've read :(

Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:23 pm
Gamaur's sex slave

My Criterions:

- The Rock
- Traffic
- The Killer
- Hardboiled
- Spartacus

Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:41 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Price wrote:
My Criterions:

- The Rock
- Traffic
- The Killer
- Hardboiled
- Spartacus

Is The Killer any good? I enjoyed A Better Tomorrow and loved Hard Boiled, and am debating should I get more of his Hong Kong films.

Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:16 pm
Gamaur's sex slave

Gullimont wrote:
Price wrote:
My Criterions:

- The Rock
- Traffic
- The Killer
- Hardboiled
- Spartacus

Is The Killer any good? I enjoyed A Better Tomorrow and loved Hard Boiled, and am debating should I get more of his Hong Kong films.

Yes. If you liked those, be sure to check out The Killer and also a Bullet in the Head.

Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:48 pm
Team Kris

I actually saw a Criterion DVD at Target: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:09 am

Christian wrote:
I actually saw a Criterion DVD at Target: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

That's the most common one I've seen. I think it's available pretty much anywhere. I've never felt the need to shell out $40 for it though.

Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:38 pm
Profile WWW
Team Kris

Jmart007 wrote:
As for Robocop, I think it was just one of those things. I got it a couple of years before it went out of print for something like $15.

Why are you so cool? :emo:

Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:57 pm
Team Kris

Clearly I need to enhance my set:
-Rebecca
-Amarcord
-La Strada
-Armageddon (don't laugh!!!!)
-Ran
-Jules et Jim
-Black Orpheus
-Grey Gardens
-Short Cuts

Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:17 pm
You must have big rats

These are the times I wish I lived in the States...

Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:04 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 384 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next