Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Season 2 

What grade would you give for this season?
A 100%  100%  [ 3 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Season 2 

Post Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Season 2
Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Season 2 [1997]

Code:
Season 2 WB

13.   2- 1       5V01     15 Sep 97   When She Was Bad
 14.   2- 2       5V02     22 Sep 97   Some Assembly Required
 15.   2- 3       5V03     29 Sep 97   School Hard
 16.   2- 4       5V04      6 Oct 97   Inca Mummy Girl
 17.   2- 5       5V05     13 Oct 97   Reptile Boy
 18.   2- 6       5V06     27 Oct 97   Halloween
 19.   2- 7       5V07      3 Nov 97   Lie to Me
 20.   2- 8       5V08     10 Nov 97   The Dark Age
 21.   2- 9       5V09     17 Nov 97   What's My Line? (1)
 22.   2-10       5V10     24 Nov 97   What's My Line? (2)
 23.   2-11       5V11      8 Dec 97   Ted
 24.   2-12       5V12     12 Jan 98   Bad Eggs
 25.   2-13       5V13     19 Jan 98   Surprise (1)
 26.   2-14       5V14     20 Jan 98   Innocence (2)
 27.   2-15       5V15     27 Jan 98   Phases
 28.   2-16       5V16     10 Feb 98   Bewitched, Bothered And Bewildered
 29.   2-17       5V17     24 Feb 98   Passion
 30.   2-18       5V18      3 Mar 98   Killed by Death
 31.   2-19       5V19     28 Apr 98   I Only Have Eyes For You
 32.   2-20       5V20      5 May 98   Go Fish
 33.   2-21       5V21     12 May 98   Becoming, Part 1 (1)
 34.   2-22       5V22     19 May 98   Becoming, Part 2 (2)

Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:40 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Season 2
As I said in the Season 1 thread, this is the season when "Buffy" really hit its stride and became the phenomenal television show we all know and love. Everything is so much more developed and the storylines become a lot more intriguing and intense. It all culminates with the stunning season finale, one of my favorite hours of television ever. And, in my opinion, "Buffy" kept up the winning streak until the final season. Anyways, an easy A+ for this season.

Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:19 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Indiana Jones IV

This is an easy A, though BtVS's not quite at an A+ yet.

The season opener, with Buffy as uber-bitch, is great every time. The sexy dance sequence at the Bronze (with Nicholas Brendon looking so, so--so--much better than in S1) is and always will be a highlight. There's really so much I can say about every season, I don't know how to collect my thoughts...

I was amazingly pleased with the introduction of Spike and Dru, not only for the wonderful way they're written and played, but also for the fact that they pretty much signaled the end of the semi-religious and joyless vampires of S1. Buffy and Angel's romance was effectively at a slow burn for a while and it worked great all the way to the climax, when Angel switched sides.

Thankfully all the characters had great things to do this year, and it wasn't just Buffy&Angel all the time. The Giles/Jenny, Xander/Cordy, and Willow/Oz pairings were all handled so well in their different ways. Not to mention the sensuality and kinkyness of the Spike/Dru/Angel triangle they got going.

The romantic pairings (or triplings, or whathaveyou) aren't the be-all-end-all of character relationships, though, which I enjoy. Giles and Buffy's relationship really deepened this season, as well as the Buffy/Xander/Willow unit. I know there are vocal Joyce-haters, but I always found her to just be a mom doing her best and I like the building of the secrets and lies and tension between her and Buffy throughout the year.

The main reason this doesn't get the A+ is that there are a few too many dud monster-of-the-week A-storylines (Some Assembly Required, Inca Mummy Girl, Reptile Boy, Bad Eggs, Killed by Death) that drag down otherwise impressive story arcs.

Best episodes: Becoming Pts 1&2, Bewitched, Bothered, and Bewildered, Passion, Innocence, and When She Was Bad

Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:21 am
Is this heaven, or is this hell?

This is my favorite Buffy season and possibly my favorite television season ever overall. The jump this show took from S1 to S2 always amazes me, I don't think I've ever seen a series make a jump like that overnight. That's not to say S1 isn't very good and fun for what it is, but the scope and ambition and overall feel and mythology aspect of the show just went to another level here very quickly, though the rise in the budget may have helped that too, heh. Joss seems to decide that he's not settling for a high school monster fighting gimmick show, as I'm guessing a comic/sci-fi fan he must have made the single decision to just go nuts with his universe here, and god did it lead to good results

One of the biggest reason I love this season so much is the villains. The trio of Spike, Druscilla, and finally Angelus, are unmatched creations in charisma, creativity, comic charm, fear, etc. They're probably the 3 best villains either show has ever had and they do it all in the same season... amazing. That along with the emotional stakes that eventually come into play, is just wonderous.

The Buffy and Angel storyline is handled very, very well. I was lucky on first viewing to be unaware of where it goes, so the punch and surprise of when it does... wow. All the characters in this season have a young emotional vitality and unawareness, they seem to come into realization throughout the season that the world has a lot of punches for them that they're not always ready for... by later on they get toughened up for it, but I always had a soft spot for their wound prone fresh hearts here.

I also quite like Xander and Cordelia - Both actors bring their comic chops to the table here and the storyline provides a nice comic refreshment. As a whole the comedy of this season just hit another level, headed by Xander naturally. This comic sharpness would stay with the series.

Willow, Giles, Joyce, Oz are do pretty great work. Ms. Calender and the resolution of her arc is one of the highlights of the season. As mentioned, one of the central themes of the season is the troupe realizing this world means business, and that moment sends a shockwave both through them and the audience and is a true 'wow, can they do that?' moment.

I like the standalone villains here but that leads to my only flaw with the season, that the overall arcs sometimes go away for a couple episodes when you don't want them to, Spike and Dru don't exactly appear in every episode this season to say the least. With the strength of the villainy here, you wish they did. But I guess it doesn't hurt it too bad.

5/5

Best episodes:
1. Innocence
2. Passion
3. Bewitched, Bothered, and Bewildered
4. Becoming Part 1/2
5. School's Out

Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:32 pm
i break the rules, so i don't care

I really enjoyed season 2, but i think the greatness grows gradually until it hits Surprise, and this is when it really fucking explodes to something that even the word "exceptional".

When Angel killed Ms. Calendar, i was blown out of my seat.

I can't wait til I start my Buffy/Angel marathons next month.

Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:21 pm
Is this heaven, or is this hell?

Yeah it's definitely one of the best tv deaths I've seen, with the chase in the school and then the on screen 'snap' moment. And the Giles thing after...

Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:32 pm
Veteran

Like Shack said, the jump from Season 1 to 2 is just outstanding. From production values to acting, to everything. Outstanding.

Jenny's death was the highlight of this season. It was so surprising and well done. I loved it.

I agree with pretty much everything said, but I disagree with the qualms some have about Buffy's mom. I love her so much and the scene between them in the finale was FUCKING.INTENSE!

Speaking of the finale, the sword fight between Buffy/Angel was incredible - when she grabs the sword between her hand. <3

Now onto season 3...

Mon May 11, 2009 12:14 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

I'm doing a rewatch and just finished this season tonight. The Angelus arc is just incredible. I know everyone goes crazy over "Becoming" and it's a stunning two-part episode but "Passion" in my opinion is the best episode of the season and maybe the series. Incredible and heartbreaking. Basically from "Innocence" on the only episode I think was subpar was the "Go Fish" one that preceded the finale.

Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:47 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]