Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:59 pm

Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Black Lives Matter 
Keeping it Light

Post Re: Black Lives Matter
A bit late to this party but, Rick Moranis' Life Matters Too

Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:26 pm
Veteran

Black Republican here. My life matters too. Lol

I was blind, but now I see.

Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:44 pm
Hold the door!

When I saw BLM has been nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize I thought it was a satire article lol

Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:37 am
Top Poster

Has it been verified yet whether Daunte Wright died from the shooting or from the car accident?

Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:31 pm
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Quote:
Daunte Wright died from a gunshot wound to the chest and the manner of death has been ruled a homicide, according to the Hennepin County Medical Examiner’s Office

Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:19 pm
The Kramer

Add air fresheners to the list of offenses that people can be executed for.

Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:45 pm
Devil's Advocate

The only thing mixing up the taser and gun does is reduce is to manslaughter. Otherwise the question of jailtime or not should be treated the same as if she intentionally drew the gun.

Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:32 am
Devil's Advocate

Derek Chauvin's verdict could be next week. Could go either way as the jury could fear for their lives getting ruined or riots, but my prediction is acquittal, hung jury or manslaughter. 2nd degree is hard to prove as it requires intent, and 3rd degree I believe is for unique situations like driving through a crowd, it doesn't sound very applicable. Manslaughter is easiest sell.

Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:16 am
The Kramer

“Fear for their lives” yeah, definitely wouldn’t be because of the video or all the other evidence.

But yes, it could go either way. There’s a huge chunk of Americans (and Canadians too apparently) who do not think that executing an unarmed black man in public without a trial should be considered a crime. Hopefully they rooted these people out of the jury but how can one tell these things until it is too late?

Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:07 pm
Hold the door!

Talking about the George Floyd thing is such a moot point. People believe he was murdered or they don’t, no amount of arguing is going to convince.

He almost certainly died of a fentanyl overdose since the way he was being restrained is not supposed to be fatal and is supposed to be less severe than tasing. So basically Chauvin either does what he does or Floyd escapes.

People are not supposed to be convicted of murder in this country unless it can be proven beyond a reasonable doubt which definitely cannot be done.

Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:14 pm
The Kramer

Even if that were true, which its not since the testimonies of both the coroner and police chief imply that excessive use a force directly lead to his death, you’re telling me that four trained officers could not restrain a man suffering from an overdose without suffocating him???? And you think this is perfectly fine to the point where no consequences should be faced? Are you fucking kidding me???? Again I have to wonder what went wrong in the childhood of Republicans to make them so dismissive of human life and wish death upon average Americans. I think I might have preferred your party when you were assaulting police officers with Blue Lives Matters flags while trying to overthrow the government and cancel democracy.

Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:19 pm
The Kramer

Republican platform:

Police brutality = fine
Mass shootings = fine
Half a million dead from covid = fine
Endless war = fine

Healthcare = bad
Democracy = bad

I used to think ya’ll only offered bigotry, but now I see that death is the party’s chief export.

Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:43 pm
Hold the door!

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
Even if that were true, which its not since the testimonies of both the coroner and police chief imply that excessive use a force directly lead to his death, you’re telling me that four trained officers could not restrain a man suffering from an overdose without suffocating him???? And you think this is perfectly fine to the point where no consequences should be faced? Are you fucking kidding me???? Again I have to wonder what went wrong in the childhood of Republicans to make them so dismissive of human life and wish death upon average Americans. I think I might have preferred your party when you were assaulting police officers with Blue Lives Matters flags while trying to overthrow the government and cancel democracy.

The question is not whether or not Chauvin acted wrong, excessive force was used. The question is whether it was murder, which it almost certainly was not. It was at worst manslaughter.

Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:57 pm
Devil's Advocate

Floyd died of a heart attack which means you basically have to say Chauvin caused his heart attack by cutting off his oxygen supply. However in addition to the drugs as a factor, Floyd had a bad ticker going in, and even if Chauvin had been less physically forceful, Floyd would have still been under a lot of physical and emotional stress being arrested and restrained which could have been enough to cause the heart attack combined with his condition going in. So it's hard to prove that the extra force compared to normal force+bad heart or an overdose is what caused the heart attack especially since it can be argued holding someone with excited delirium down is supposed to help prevent heart attacks. And even if you did prove that, it still might only be manslaughter.

If Chauvin is acquitted he will not face "no consequences", he will never be a police officer again which is still a tangible punishment. That's before considering that he's one of the most hated men on earth and his life is ruined.

Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:33 pm
Devil's Advocate

Guilty on all charges

I think the wrong decision honestly and the jury didn't want destruction on their hands, but I'm not going to lose sleep over it

Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:57 pm
Top Poster

If I were on the jury, I’d vote the same way, for fear of my family’s safety. I think this will continue to drag on with further court appeals.

Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:00 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Thank God for the witnesses and the woman who recorded the incident. Otherwise this would have likely ended with this:

Spoiler: show

Hard to imagine how many cases similar to this get covered up. And no, I don't think it's on some grand scale or anything, but it certainly happens more than we'd like to think about.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:30 pm
Profile WWW
Superfreak

The woman who recorded is it no doubt a hero. No question.

Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:44 pm
Hold the door!

He definitely did not die from being choked to death, the autopsy didn’t even find any bruising on his neck. Definitely not a murder.

Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:51 pm
Keeping it Light

It might not have been the actual intend, but the fact that Chauvin kept Floyd restrained for over 3min after he was dead already, really made it seem like he was trying to kill him.

Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:41 am
Sbil

Alex Y. wrote:
If I were on the jury, I’d vote the same way, for fear of my family’s safety. I think this will continue to drag on with further court appeals.

Comments like this are very revealing.

Many conservatives are constantly arguing about letting people have their day in court and that people are "innocent until proven guilty."

Now Chauvin was literally found guilty and y'all are tossing out unfounded accusations that there was jury intimidation.

A sizable percentage of the population will really go to the ends of the earth to sweep black people dying at the hands of police under the rug. When there was VIDEO of the incident, no less.

Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:59 am
Hold the door!

“Unfounded accusations of jury intimidation”

Lol. You’d have to live your life with your head in the sand to think that the entire media, the President of the United States, half the HOR and senate and the mobs burning cities all over the country wanting a certain outcome or else is not “jury intimidation.

Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:14 am
Sbil

zwackerm wrote:

Lol. You’d have to live your life with your head in the sand to think that the entire media, the President of the United States, half the HOR and senate and the mobs burning cities all over the country wanting a certain outcome or else is not “jury intimidation.

And you'd have to live your life with your head in the sand to assert without any evidence that the jury felt pressured to deliver this verdict and did not do so under their own duties based on the evidence that was presented at the trial.

Please help me understand why you are so eager to deny any kind of justice to George Floyd and his family, and why everything is always blamed on "the woke mob." Why don't the people who actually commit these crimes ever have to take responsibility for their own actions instead of everything lazily being the fault of "the mob"?

Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:05 am
Hold the door!

Libs wrote:
zwackerm wrote:

And you'd have to live your life with your head in the sand to assert without any evidence that the jury felt pressured to deliver this verdict and did not do so under their own duties based on the evidence that was presented at the trial.

Please help me understand why you are so eager to deny any kind of justice to George Floyd and his family, and why everything is always blamed on "the woke mob." Why don't the people who actually commit these crimes ever have to take responsibility for their own actions instead of everything lazily being the fault of "the mob"?

Because there was no evidence presented that would indicate that Chauvin murdered Floyd. The worst he could get is excessive force or manslaughter for contributing to his heart attack that killed him.

I do not believe that Chauvin should remain a police officer and he should be held accountable to his actions. But those actions were not murder.

Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:19 am
Top Poster

Libs wrote:
Alex Y. wrote:

Comments like this are very revealing.

Many conservatives are constantly arguing about letting people have their day in court and that people are "innocent until proven guilty."

Now Chauvin was literally found guilty and y'all are tossing out unfounded accusations that there was jury intimidation.

A sizable percentage of the population will really go to the ends of the earth to sweep black people dying at the hands of police under the rug. When there was VIDEO of the incident, no less.

As a member of general public and not even a juror, I’m already being intimidated from expressing any thoughts contrary to the media narrative about this topic elsewhere online or in person. Congratulations, you have defeated us, we will need to remain closeted for fear of our families and livelihoods.

Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:26 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next