Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Merger has begun - Old threads in Archive folder 
Devil's Advocate

Post Re: Merger has begun - Old threads in Archive folder
Gamaur wrote:
Maybe stop changing shit without checking with other members first?

There was a previous thread discussing this with other members, I'm not sure where it went. In addition to Page 1 of this thread.

This was far from a 1 person decision. MadGez/Jack/lilmac originally came to me asking if we should merge Cinemania and Box Office. A thread was creating discussing it and people were against going to that extreme (including myself) along with merging other forums like Everyones a Critics and Oscar, but other people were on board with eliminating the dead forums like Literature and DVD and combining Cinemania and Trailer Park and putting games in either the Cinemania or Box Office forums

Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:57 pm
Devil's Advocate

Gamaur wrote:
Thegun and Madgez aren't consensus, and there is a polling option you're always free to use. Some change may have been appropriate, but merging trailers into general film discussion removes a valuable asset of the forum---having a convenient location to check all recent trailer releases---and either diminishes that aspect by reducing the number of trailers that'll be posted, or or it'll add a shitload of unnecessary clutter. The changes made add zero value while taking certain values away. Making trailers a subforum of Cinemania makes sense; removing it altogether is misinterpreting the way people were utilising it.

If you want a super-high traffic section, Chippy's suggestion of merging BO with general film discussion would me a better move.

Requesting that you make trailers a subforum of cinemania, and games/literature/politics subforums of the water cooler as they add much more value this way, and you'll still get the streamlining you're looking for. Also asking that you stop making these decisions with next to zero group consensus.

Others like stuffp, Chippy, Flava also weighed in addition to thegun and the four owners

Getting rid of Literature, Politics, Video Games was a no brainer in my opinion, they averaged like a post a month. Next time a Red Dead 2 type of event comes out or Groucho writes a book the Water Cooler is a perfectly good place to post it. I would argue politics unofficially migrating to the Water Cooler some time ago has increased discussion of it. I'm torn on Trailers as the Cinemania thread has been quiet, but it's been a dead stretch for trailers in general since Star Wars. I would prefer to wait a few months and if it feels something has been lost bring back the Trailer Park. As for convienience it's just as convienient to see all the recent trailers by scrolling through a thread. On awardsworthy there is no trailer forum, just threads (overall trailers thread + individual threads for films) in the film news forum and it works fine. There's nothing wrong with people talking about a Marvel/DC trailer in the Marvel/DC thread

I don't think sub forums are that different than separate forums in terms of traffic. Forums like Lit and Politics would still be dead

Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:51 pm
On autopilot for the summer

I don't see any issues with the changes made so far.

Gamaur doesn't frequent here, so of course it'll be offsetting for a bit. The TrailerPark is already better for the mere fact that people actually have to read 5 or 6 posts to get to the trailer they are talking about. And polls? Come on, what are they suppose to do, leave their dicks peeing into the wind for what wont be more than 7 people that stumble upon it?

I appreciate the initiative. But I agree. It's one thing to get the clutter out. Now its all about producing higher content to build. Why not start simple things like trailer of the month, or simple top 10 lists. As much as I hate the comingsoon.net new formats, because those writers are really idiots. Simplest thing, get 5 posters on here, write about the current month and movies in a simple article (That means you only have to write basically 2 times a year, and build from there) In addition with BOM flopping, why not get someone like Mark to have just basically merge the old BOM to WOKJ. I don't think their would be any legal ramifications, but man. If you just created the old BOM to here, traffic would rise ridiculously

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:52 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Gamaur we are happy to get feedback but please don't take it out on Shack. It wasn't a webmaster work and he wasn't the first person to suggest this as well. Among the administration team the decision was unanimous

Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:05 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

I can only tell you that the logic was simple. The trailers draw a conversation about movies so they can be merged in with either the BO Bash or Cinemania to generate continuous conversations. Most of the comments in Trailer threads were outright awkward or generic to begin with. Also sometimes scrolling through the threads for different trailers might not be a handy idea. Now the solution might not have been perfect but we can work through the next set of changes.

I will also add that no one is stopped from creating new Trailer threads under Cinemania. If that idea sticks then that's how we will do going forward.

Lastly I agree that changes to this forum is supposed to be a group thing but we need to first make a change to start discussions and a change isn't always pleasant for everyone. The idea with this merger wasn't to alienate anyone or to bring new people but more towards bringing focus to the conversations at lesser places given that the amount of people we have left.

Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:58 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

@Gamaur One more thing please check this thread below, there were a few more threads like these for discussions and from my end when I moved certain forums and threads I made a point to inform a few frequent posters on this change (Maybe Shack should have done that as well)

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=85499

I do think its a good idea to send a mass email once all the changes are done for not-so-frequent posters so that they don't have trouble browsing through the forum. I will make sure I sent those out soon.

Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:03 am
Devil's Advocate

Gamaur wrote:

Show where posters other than Thegun and MadGez wanted Trailer Park removed.

lilmac, Flava and Mau voiced overall approval without singling out the trailer change. Chippy in the Trailer thread suggest he was willing to post trailers in the box office threads implying he is on board, and lilmac also voiced his approval of the change in that thread. Jack clearly is on board. The only people who didn't like it were i.hope and you which represents a minority opinion right now.

Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:06 am
On autopilot for the summer

Why am I getting looped into this bullshit? I'm not more important, and never once brought up changing the forums. A thread was created, and I gave an opinion. I had nothing to do with the changes, but I do think it's a lot better.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:09 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

Yeah I like how there are less forums now. Much easier to go to the pages I went to in the first place. Dead forums are consolidated. Trailers get a tad more discussion.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:37 am
Veteran

As Shack mentioned, we'll take stock in a few months and reassess.

I was blind, but now I see.

Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:07 pm
Devil's Advocate

Any thoughts on changing the name of Sports to "Sports / Wrestling"? (the wrestling forum gets more posts than real sports there) Off chance it attracts a lurker into posting here. Or should there be a separate wrestling forum that everyone else can treat like the shadowy place "you must never go there Simba". I guess I could also just change the description and leave it at that.

Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2