Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 359 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 15  Next
 WoKJ Needs A New Owner 
Sbil

Post Re: WoKJ Needs A New Owner
Dr. Lecter wrote:
Excel, I know you mean well, but can you just please for a moment shut the hell up with your grandiose plans? The matter of the forums is far from settled. Shouldn't you be busy opening some Bonchons or flying out to the West Coast to eat pizza?

OMG, the shade is real.

Wed May 20, 2015 12:58 pm
Top Poster

Congrats on your family and work promotion, Eagle!

Question: how much IT work would be required afterwards if moved WOKJ forum back to a shared hosting environment (assuming with the lesser traffic there would be less issues)? It sounds like a lot of the workload are akin to being a hosting landlord.

Wed May 20, 2015 2:19 pm
Profile WWW
Superfreak

Dr. Lecter wrote:
Excel, I know you mean well, but can you just please for a moment shut the hell up with your grandiose plans? The matter of the forums is far from settled. Shouldn't you be busy opening some Bonchons or flying out to the West Coast to eat pizza?

I am busy, but being busy with things I enjoy doing is ok. :thumbsup: I have a life I don't want to take a vacation from. Adding KJ to my daily schedule would be cake. :thumbsup:

I did inquire about Bonchon btw. :thumbsup: Not into places which have what appear to be systematic issues with health departments. :thumbsup:

I know you mean well. But Eagle's "deadline" is 2 months away and more than enough people promised funds. So I don't know why our focus would remain there when all we need is Eagle's info. Focusing on the problem rather than the solution is the primary lesson of business failure 101. Our personal funding should only be a bridge solution until traffic is increased and the site pays for itself. The decision to fund it has been made, so i'll move on until the time to get into the nitty gritty comes. It wont com without eagles info.

Last edited by Excel on Wed May 20, 2015 2:34 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Wed May 20, 2015 2:21 pm
Superfreak

El Maskado wrote:
Late congrats on the baby girl.
So is excel's grand plan for the forum is make it all Superman based?

:thumbsup:

I'll hire BKB to be our Sip Bayless. :thumbsup:

Wed May 20, 2015 2:21 pm
You must have big rats

Excel wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:

I am busy, but being busy with things I enjoy doing is ok. :thumbsup: I have a life I don't want to take a vacation from. Adding KJ to my daily schedule would be cake. :thumbsup:

I did inquire about Bonchon btw. :thumbsup: Not into places which have what appear to be systematic issues with health departments. :thumbsup:

I know you mean well. But Eagle's "deadline" is 2 months away and more than enough people promised funds. So I don't know why our focus would remain there when all we need is Eagle's info. Focusing on the problem rather than the solution is the primary lesson of business failure 101. Our personal funding should only be a bridge solution until traffic is increased and the site pays for itself. The decision to fund it has been made, so i'll move on until the time to get into the nitty gritty comes. It wont com without eagles info.

It is not about funding, I don't worry about that. It is about actually running the thing and not getting ahead of oneself. I am of firm belief that it should be more than one person because there is walys a chance that this one person becomes unavailable/unreliable whatever. Life happens.

Wed May 20, 2015 2:48 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

I think what Karl did with Derby is the right way to go. Have a committee (we were like 5 people) and appoint one person as the leader. The rest of the committee comes over only if the leader is not available to act.

Wed May 20, 2015 9:12 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

I am the Derby leader, imo

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu May 21, 2015 10:42 am
Veteran

Eagle wrote:
The time has come for me to part with WoKJ. The obvious question is why, so let me try and explain:

Late last year I had my first child, a daughter, who is nearing 5 months old. Just a month ago, I was promoted at work, to an exciting but demanding position. The baby, and the job, require my full attention, and I want to give it to them.

I've been lucky enough to operate WoKJ for over a decade now, and in doing so have managed a dedicated server where the site (and other properties I own / host) live. I frankly haven't been able to do much of anything in this avenue since I launched Box Office Seer, and while the time spent managing it all isn't much, it's time I need to have back.

So, the server will be shut off. The sites shut down. The lights turned low. Unless of course someone else want's to pick up the torch and move the site in whatever direction they may fancy. The site does generate some revenue via forum ads, enough that a new owner may conceivably break even by moving to some type of non-dedicated environment. Or they're welcome to keep my dedicated server, add their own sites, maybe even keep some of the clients I have, who knows!

In any event, if you're interested in taking on such responsibilities, please contact me at kjtocool at gmail and we can discuss further. If you have questions for me, please post them here and I'll be happy to address.

Congrats on the baby

I was blind, but now I see.

Thu May 21, 2015 10:11 pm
Site Owner

Getting into a discussion on updating the site is off-topic and will only serve to lead the discussion awry. Don't get me wrong, if whoever takes the site over wants to undertake such a task, I think that's terrific, but it's not needed to keep the site alive.

I need you guys to make this easy on me. Someone needs to step forward with two things:

1) A person or people who can handle the technical responsibilities of running a site, including assuming control of the existing server, and managing that server going forward or migrating the site to a new hosting environment and managing it there.

2) The financial backing to fund the existing server or a new hosting environment if the site is moved. The site currently generates 400-700 a year in revenue, the gap to maintain the status quo is at most around 500 a year, or 40 a month, likely much less.

bl1222 has stepped forward as someone who may be capable of handling #1, which seems the hard need to fill. I haven't had the time to discuss with him what his intentions / plans / desire is. So far, bl1222 is the only member to email me with any interest.

Sat May 23, 2015 11:15 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Damn, who knew?
All the planes we flew
Good things we been through
That I'd be standing right here talking to you
About another path
I know we loved to hit the road and laugh

But something told me that it wouldn't last
Had to switch up, look at things different, see the bigger picture
Those were the days
Hard work forever pays
Now I see KJ in a better place

Ah
How could we not talk about KJ when KJ's all that we got?
Everything I went through, KJ was standing there by my side
And now KJ going be with me for the last ride

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun May 24, 2015 4:36 pm
now we know

Perhaps over the last few months the site hasn't been breaking even, which Eagle (urged by his wife, I imagine) didn't want to support anymore. The site has been less and less active, so I imagine AdWords doesn't quite cover the expenses of hosting anymore. I'm willing to bet that if it was still breaking even or +/- $10.00 either side, Eagle wouldn't be making this decision.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon May 25, 2015 7:45 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Algren wrote:
Perhaps over the last few months the site hasn't been breaking even, which Eagle (urged by his wife, I imagine) didn't want to support anymore. The site has been less and less active, so I imagine AdWords doesn't quite cover the expenses of hosting anymore. I'm willing to bet that if it was still breaking even or +/- $10.00 either side, Eagle wouldn't be making this decision.

If it was about the money, he would have asked us for donations, which many would have willingly given.

Mon May 25, 2015 4:29 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

I don't believe that is the sole reason, but I do believe that it's the reason that makes the difference between staying as owner and not.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon May 25, 2015 6:21 pm
Profile WWW
Quality is a great business plan

Money is definitely not the issue for Eagle. Time is more valuable for Eagle with young kid. You will realize it once you have one of your own.

Anyway its good to see loyal back. Since he has owned site before he is a good bet for taking over. Or may be Lecter but he is not ready to take over completely by himself but I am not sure if he will like to do it with Loyal.

One point Loyal made about internet forums being dying breed is kind of true. Specially a small group as this. Not sure this will last very long once few regulars drop out.

I used to be shawman.

Mon May 25, 2015 7:50 pm
now we know

If time was more valuable, you wouldn't take on a larger role at work, which funnily enough means more money. Say what you want, but money is always the key factor.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon May 25, 2015 8:20 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

There are two reasons, really, why I cannot take over completely by myself. One is that I simply lack the technical knowledge. I have been writing onlinefor over a decade and know my way around CMS and stuff....but anything with servers and shit is not my forte. I am a content creator, not a tech guy. The other is that running one big website is already a helluva lot of work.

Whichever way it goes, though, I do want to be part-owner at least, for the main reason being that unlike most potential candidates, I, for myself, know that however things get, I will not jump ship from this community and I am not sure that can be said about many, given the fluctuations over the years.

Mon May 25, 2015 8:36 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Maybe we could just migrate to a new forum (zIFBoards?). Just let this one go.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Mon May 25, 2015 9:55 pm
You must have big rats

Nah, man. It's history.

Mon May 25, 2015 10:36 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Dr. Lecter wrote:
Nah, man. It's history.

Din't bl1222 volunteer to do the tech stuff?

Mon May 25, 2015 10:39 pm
You must have big rats

It is very early talks still, I believe.

Mon May 25, 2015 11:07 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

If that doesn't work out, though, I think Magnus' suggestion (I think it was his) might be best. Since we seem to have a lot of willing donors and the server costs wil be mostly offset by ads, it might be a solution to simply put the money together and hire someone to do the tech stuff.

Mon May 25, 2015 11:08 pm
Profile WWW
The French Dutch Boy

It will be a shame if WOKJ no longer exists - it would certainly be an end of an era for me. I was on BOM forums and then WOKJ since my teenage years. Many people in this community who started posting at BOM I've known for over a decade, and have met in person.

However, I hardly stop by WOKJ anymore. Sometimes I do when I want to read what smart box office folks have to say about a certain movie. And I always stop by during the Oscar season. But when I do stop by, the biggest thing I notice is the lack of activity on the forums. It's hard for me to get sucked into sticking around without that presence - but I suppose too that it was a lot easier for me to be more engaged and post a lot when I was younger.

Congrats on your family and your work promotion, Karl!

Mike

Tue May 26, 2015 2:01 am
now we know

Therein lies the problem. You don't come here anymore because it's less active, but then you not coming here contributes to that lesser activity.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue May 26, 2015 7:38 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

wait loyal is back

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Tue May 26, 2015 10:18 am
"no rank"

Chippy wrote:
wait loyal is back

Chippy! I'm sorry we didn't hang out last time I was in town. Next time I'm there, movies and/or dinner.

Tue May 26, 2015 10:25 am
Reply to topic   [ 359 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 15  Next