Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Bringing Back the Dead -- The Future of Cinema? 
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Bringing Back the Dead -- The Future of Cinema?
James Dean is making his return to the big screen more than 60 years after dying in a car crash, thanks to two VFX companies.

Finding Jack is a movie set within the Vietnam-era that is “based on the existence and abandonment of more than 10,000 military dogs at the end of the Vietnam War,” according to The Hollywood Reporter. Dean isn’t the leading role, but his performance as “Rogan” is “considered a secondary lead role,” according to the Reporter. Finding Jack marks the first movie that Dean will star in since Giant in 1956, just one year after his iconic role as Jim Stark in Rebel Without a Cause.

Magic City Films, the company producing the movie, obtained the rights to Dean’s image from his family. The goal is to re-create “a realistic version of James Dean,” the film’s directors told the Reporter. To do so, they’re working with Canadian VFX studio Imagine Engine and South African VFX company MOI Worldwide. Dean’s body will be fully re-created using CGI technology, and another actor will voice his lines.

“We searched high and low for the perfect character to portray the role of Rogan, which has some extreme complex character arcs, and after months of research, we decided on James Dean,” co-director Anton Ernst told the Reporter.

It’s unclear exactly what any of that means, especially since there are thousands upon thousands of living actors who are probably capable of performing the role. Acquiring the rights to actors’ looks and using them for CGI re-creation purposes isn’t totally new — just look at Furious 7 or Rogue One: A Star Wars Story — but it is a conversation Hollywood is taking more seriously than ever. Vox critic Alissa Wilkinson touched upon the problem this faces in her review of Gemini Man, Ang Lee’s action movie that stars Will Smith and a younger version of Will Smith who plays his clone. Wilkinson wrote: So just imagine the options if you could perfectly recreate any actor — and the potential savings (and earning potential) for a movie studio that owns the rights to, say, the perfect replica of Keanu Reeves or Angelina Jolie or Will Smith, all while sharing licensing with the actor’s estate. You might doubt it will ever be done; I would put money on it happening in the next decade, unless somehow the industry unions intervene. It’s already happened before, with actors like the late Peter Cushing recreated for Rogue One. And if you can recreate actors, you can create them, too, replacing the need to hire people to play all of those parts where nobody knows the actor’s name anyhow.

Was James Dean really the only actor who could play this role? Doubtful. Whether it’s a marketing stunt that will draw attention to the movie or the future of cinema, it’s representative of a world we may soon be living in.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/6/2095 ... nding-jack

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Last edited by Corpse on Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:16 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: Bringing Back the Dead -- The Future of Cinema?
I saw this headline earlier today and just read about it.

We've seen studios dab into this in Star Wars and the Fast & Furious franchises (maybe others, I'm not too sure), but not on the same level as "reviving" an actor that died over 60 years ago.

So, will we see more deceased actors getting the CGI treatment in the future, either starring in their own films or alongside today's living thespians? Why bother going through the hassle of casting roles when you could create your own perfect one? Why cast a Rami Malek when you could recreate Freddie Mercury himself? Obviously I'm not for technology replacing actors, but studios will certainly attempt it (already are). Less expensive, no conflicting schedules, avoids ethnicity/race/gender, etc. backlash, no more drama queens, etc.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:24 pm
Profile WWW
Dont Mess with the Gez

I don't like it.

I have no issue with using CGI to complete scenes of a recently deceased star (Walker, Fisher etc) or even if used for a cameo part of a character who's actor is no longer with us - but this is OTT.

It feels unethical and puts actors out of jobs. The tech will also no doubt fall into the wrong hands and be used to for ill means (framing others etc).

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:38 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Agreed this is just stupid. There is a dearth of talent in the current generation or people can learn from experience. Technological advancements should not misused like this otherwise we are not different than robots from Skynet.

Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:53 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

Obviously I don't want this to replace actors. But I'm curious how they're going to do this, and how it will look.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:53 am
Quality is a great business plan

MadGez wrote:
The tech will also no doubt fall into the wrong hands and be used to for ill means (framing others etc).

I think that tech exists and whether its used for movie or not does not change that fact.

But I agree this is bad for simple reason is acting is more than just about putting a face on the screen. Its ok to recreate a particular scene if the actor is no longer around like Walker or deaging actor for flashbacks(That is cool) but using a dead actor as main lead sounds ridiculous.

Not sure it will help. Is Dean a big star now having died more than 6 decades ago !!!!

That said I would to see Cary Grant again :D

I used to be shawman.

Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:56 pm
Deshi Basara

I'm reminded of when they used Bruce Lee to hock Lipton tea. Can this kind of thing just be done with any historical figure?

I would be horrified if I became famous and knew that I would be used posthumously to hock products or do anything that I would never have agreed to do in life. It's a grey area if your family/estate is giving permission, but even then I don't like it. You might still have vehemently disagreed for whatever reason.

Most Impressive Openings: Honorable Mentions

Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]