Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 Is JLaw over? 
llegó a la casa vía marítima

Post Is JLaw over?
As we all know JLaw had an incredibly promising start to her career and was quickly catapulted to the A+ list with an Oscar win for one of the iconic movies of the decade Silver Linings Playbook + a generation-defining starring role in one of the iconic blockbusters of the decade The Hunger Games. She followed it up with the fantastic Hunger Games sequel and American Hustle (which was the perfect combo of success and acclaim), then the most successful of the recent X-Men films where her Mystique took a much bigger role, and Mockingjay Part 1 did alright. At that point, at the end of 2014, everyone assumed she was the new it girl Hollywood superstar and one of the few actresses that could turn the box office needle.

After that things started getting a little wobbly.

- Mockingjay Part 2: huge embarrassing decline from the other films
- Joy: she got an Oscar nom but the film was a panned flop and is forgotten
- X-Men: Apocalypse: phoned-in performance in a film that everyone understood to be the beginning of the end for the franchise
- Passengers: awful reviews, I guess it didn't completely flop but the super soft OW indicated she had no drawing power
- Mother!: panned flop
- Red Sparrow: couldn't even do half of what Salt did, flop, further proof she had no drawing power
- Dark Phoenix: panned flop

What prompted me to make this thread is that after this string of panned bombs, she has NO movies in production. Zero. Her contemporaries like Emma Stone, Saoirse Ronan and Margot Robbie all have major films in the pipeline. IMDB says she has something called Mob Girl by some random Italian director in pre-production but it sounds fishy. Her planned Elizabeth Holmes movie has been in development hell for a while and got beaten to the punch by an HBO documentary.

Is she over? Will she ever star in a major Hollywood movie again? Did she turn out to be the Meg Ryan of the 2010s instead of the next Julia Roberts?

Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:51 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

Post Re: Is JLaw over?
Umm... she's almost exactly like Julia Roberts. Both had a 10-ish year run of films, both won an Oscar, and then both kind of went... into obscurity for a while.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:05 am
The Kramer

Absolutely not. She’s just been doing weird movies that haven’t really panned out. None of those movies make any more money with different stars.

Passengers needed a whole first act rewrite and it still legged it out to $100M because people wanted to see her and Pratt fall in love on a spaceship.

Dark Phoenix advertised that she would die early in the movie.

She won a WOKJ Best Actress award for Mother! Which again was a really weird movie.

Will she ever star in a Hollywood movie again? When stars, especially female stars, take breaks (if she really is taking a year-long break) it is usually for one reason- babies! A poor career choice in my opinion, but this one should produce better results at the box office at least.

I will say that The Fappening hurt her more than anyone else. It overly sexualized her and there was no going back. Before that she was the perfect girl next door who men could be attracted to but women need not be jealous of.

Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:58 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

From March 2012 through December 2016, she was in ELEVEN!!! films over 2,500 theaters, only TWO of those films finished with under $100 mil.

That's a bonkers run. I highly doubt there are more than 2-3 actors ever with that kind of success over a 4.5 year stretch. Every 6 months she had a $100 mil grosser. During that stretch, she was nominated twice, won once.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:43 am
Devil's Advocate

Kind of. With her recent engagement and lack of films coming up it looks like she could recede into her personal life like Michael Keaton and Michelle Pfeiffer after their primes. The other problem is JLaw's looks and acting ability were overhyped to begin with so the farther she gets away from the Hunger Games days the harder it will be for her to recapture that bubble.

Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:56 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Her 4 Academy Award nominations say otherwise.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:47 am
Quality is a great business plan

She is not even 30 and is highly recognizable. I am sure she will get offers from all major studios. Wont be surprised to see her in another franchise. May be DCEU will offer her a role next.

I used to be shawman.

Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:11 am
Extraordinary

Nah. Although her starpower was severely overestimated. She just happened to have a perfect storm of huge franchise and Oscar roles, it's still unfortunate she got a fucking razzie nom for her best performance.

She'll likely have another great role but maybe in some years.

Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:10 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

Yeah if I'm her, I stay away from any franchise, unless it's a role like Phoenix just took with Joker (more of a one of, artsy flair)

I'd probably bet $20 on her next film being a Netflix exclusive.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:38 am
Defeats all expectations

I think she is now more picky with projects. She founded a production company in 2018 and she is going to have more creative and financial control over her work.

Her upcoming film will be distributed by A24.

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/jennifer-lawrence-scott-rudin-waverly-gallery-1203186466/
Quote:
Jennifer Lawrence will star in an untitled film for IAC FILMS and A24 to be directed by acclaimed theater director Lila Neugebauer, who will make her feature film debut.

The script was written by first-time screenwriter Elizabeth Sanders. Scott Rudin and Eli Bush are producing, with Lawrence and Justine Polsky.

This marks the first film to which Lawrence has committed after announcing a break from acting a year ago. Lawrence won the Oscar for best actress for her performance in “Silver Linings Playbook.” She has been nominated for three additional Oscars for “Joy,” “American Hustle” and “Winter’s Bone.”

Neugebauer, who has established herself as the most significant young director of new plays off-Broadway, made her Broadway debut last year with the critically acclaimed revival of Kenneth Lonergan’s “The Waverly Gallery,” starring Elaine May and Lucas Hedges, with Rudin and Bush also producing. Additional theater credits include: Tracy Letts’ “Mary Page Marlowe,” Edward Albee’s “At Home at the Zoo/The Zoo Story” and world premieres of Sarah DeLappe’s “The Wolves,” The Mad Ones’ “Mr. Murray’s Menagerie” and “Miles For Mary,” Branden Jacobs-Jenkins’ “Everybody” and Annie Baker’s “The Antipodes.”

Rudin/Bush and IAC have a long and successful relationship with A24, based on partnering on multiple films including “Lady Bird,” “Eighth Grade,” “Mid90s,” “Ex Machina,” and upcoming titles including the Safdie brothers’ “Uncut Gems,” Kelly Reichardt’s “First Cow” and Joel Coen’s “Macbeth.”

Rudin/Bush, IAC Films, and A24 also recently announced a joint venture for non-fiction films and series.

Polsky and Lawrence will produce through their newly formed production company Excellent Cadaver.

Details of the project are being kept under wraps. Principal photography begins mid-June in New Orleans.

Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:18 pm
Veteran

Way too early to say. All of our A-list actors with longevity have had string of flops.

I was blind, but now I see.

Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:13 pm
Superfreak

Chippy wrote:
Umm... she's almost exactly like Julia Roberts. Both had a 10-ish year run of films, both won an Oscar, and then both kind of went... into obscurity for a while.

C'mon, she is nothing like Julia Roberts.

-Many of Jlaw's $100m hits were big budget would-be blockbusters based on famous source material, numerous of which were big disappointments. Roberts big hits were almost all low-budget original films that overperformed expecs
-With inflation, Roberts hits are much much more impressive
-Roberts run of dominance lasted from 1990 through 2001. JLaw was only really a thing 2012-2016.

Last edited by Excel on Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:39 pm
Superfreak

publicenemy#1 wrote:
Nah. Although her starpower was severely overestimated. She just happened to have a perfect storm of huge franchise and Oscar roles, it's still unfortunate she got a fucking razzie nom for her best performance.

She'll likely have another great role but maybe in some years.

This is basically it. She was hugely overhyped in the beginning, the fall back to Earth was obvious and inevitable. She cannot carry a project on her own at all.

I would, however, put her in the still-impressive class of actors who can be huge draws in the right role. For example, if it came out tomorrow that would play Catwoman opposite Pattinson in THE BATMAN? I think that does a lot of good for the film.

Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:41 pm
Superfreak

Chippy wrote:
From March 2012 through December 2016, she was in ELEVEN!!! films over 2,500 theaters, only TWO of those films finished with under $100 mil.

That's a bonkers run. I highly doubt there are more than 2-3 actors ever with that kind of success over a 4.5 year stretch. Every 6 months she had a $100 mil grosser. During that stretch, she was nominated twice, won once.

That the majority of those films were based on famous IP - the latter HG films were big disappointments while she was not main star of Xmen films - really undermines this idea that she was a huge draw.

Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:44 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

MOST FILMS ARE NOW BASED ON FAMOUS IPs.

What a stupid argument. You can't compare an actor from the 80s/90s with an actor now. Because movies based on popular shit were few and far between, and now it's every other god damned movie.

And nobody is arguing "draw power". We've been over this before. Nobody has that anymore (except Leo, and his is waning).

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:02 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

Excel wrote:
Chippy wrote:

C'mon, she is nothing like Julia Roberts.

-Many of Jlaw's $100m hits were big budget would-be blockbusters based on famous source material, numerous of which were big disappointments. Roberts big hits were almost all low-budget original films that overperformed expecs
-With inflation, Roberts hits are much much more impressive
-Roberts run of dominance lasted from 1990 through 2001. JLaw was only really a thing 2012-2016.

Roberts was huge in 90-93, and again from 97-01. And Lawrence packed a TON more work into her 5-6 years than Roberts.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:06 am
New Server, Same X

The X-Men franchise fucked her a bit. Even at its best, it was never a player against the likes of Marvel, the original Spider-Man movies, Batman, etc. So that's not really on her. The franchise was never big enough.

If the launch of her career peaked with the Oscar win for Silver Linings Playbook, she still had three successful Hunger Games movies. Yes they all dipped after Catching Fire, but Mockingjay shouldn't have been two movies. American Hustle was a big hit. And she's had four Oscar nominations. She can coast on that for a while, and she is.

We'll be talking about the JLaw renaissance soon enough. The JLawnaissance, if you will.

Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:55 pm
Extraordinary

She needs to pick better roles

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:13 am
100% That Bitch

Lol, has she even hit 30 yo?

Of course she isn't done.