Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Do Disney movies have more of an agenda than other studios.. 
Orphan

Post Do Disney movies have more of an agenda than other studios..
movies? You could even extend the question to include their TV series/networks as well.

Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:24 pm
Hold the door!

Post Re: Do Disney movies have more of an agenda than other studi
Disney definitely has more of a tendency to sell out for that bottom line so yes.

Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:52 pm
Orphan

zwackerm wrote:
Disney definitely has more of a tendency to sell out for that bottom line so yes.

It seems like you would alienate a portion of your audience by doing that though, perhaps a larger portion than you would gain.

Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:11 pm
The Kramer

Hollywood is pretty liberal in general. And being too progressive isn’t going to lose you money as seen by Captain Marvel’s huge numbers. Brie’s comments had it in the news more and clearly increased audience interest.

Now if Episode 9 opens under $200M then maybe they’ll consider a different approach to that franchise, but it is working great for Marvel.

Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:55 pm

No, but Disney does have a strong culture that it wants all of its products to adhere to, especially in the Iger years. Synergy is big with the company and going against that culture is undesired by Disney.

Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:59 pm
Devil's Advocate

Disney is getting woke for sure. It may lose them some initial dollars at the box office but in the long run their brand will be seen on the right side of history with landmarks for black superhero, female superhero and lesbian animation character

The Last Jedi backfired but it was one of several reasons for backlash along with trying to make Luke kill Kylo. In general I feel like the biggest problem with Disney Star Wars is that only George Lucas Star Wars really feel like Star Wars. The change worked for The Force Awakens but like Taylor Swift's last album the longer she gets away from the style that made people fall in love with her the more it will be a downward trend

Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:19 pm

I think Solo was very well received amongst the Star Wars hardcore

Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:21 am
now we know

I don't really get this thread. Is the agenda you're alluding to meaning that they want to make money more than all the other studios? If so, I don't think so. They're just better at it. All studios want to make money. But most are just not as mature in their process. Or is there another agenda you're referring to? Studios' only agenda is to make money with their movies. There is no other agenda in play. If racial or gender issues were not a thing, they wouldn't have made Captain Marvel or Bland Panther. But they are, and that means more $$$, so they were made.

Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:28 am
Profile WWW
Veteran

As long as they keep certain agendas from Episode IX. Let's close out the Skywalker saga untouched before we start infecting the franchise with progressive agendas.

I was blind, but now I see.

Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]