Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Brie Larson 
now we know

Post Re: Brie Larson
Because people need a new something or someone to pick on. She's in the biggest movie of the moment, and R Kelly's old news.

Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:29 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Ah well. She has an army of liberals to support her if they wish to, so I don't really care if she takes some schtick.

Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:32 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Gamaur wrote:
They're calling her a White Male hater

FYI, it's because of what she said at the WIF awards.

Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:42 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

I'm not defending her. I only just saw that video too. I think she's like a lot of naive white liberals that believe if they are pro-black and anti-white they are somehow morally righteous. They seem to believe they can say anything they want against white males and it's fine. Imagine, for a second, her comments but with "African American" and "white male" swapped. There would be uproar. It's okay in today's world if you preach equality and fairness, but what she said isn't, and she also said it was a bit of an attitude. A lot of her paying audience will be white males, so they are rightly annoyed.

Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:13 pm
Profile WWW
Orphan

Algren wrote:
I'm not defending her. I only just saw that video too. I think she's like a lot of naive white liberals that believe if they are pro-black and anti-white they are somehow morally righteous. They seem to believe they can say anything they want against white males and it's fine. Imagine, for a second, her comments but with "African American" and "white male" swapped. There would be uproar. It's okay in today's world if you preach equality and fairness, but what she said isn't, and she also said it was a bit of an attitude. A lot of her paying audience will be white males, so they are rightly annoyed.

This exactly. Some have also brought up her Twitter attack on a TSA Agent who asked her out only for her to a track him on Twitter and called for his firing simply for doing what all men have to do if they don’t want to be alone for the rest of their lives. She’s incredibly naive and arrogant, making her very unlikeable.

Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:48 pm
Ocarina of Time

She can say whatever she wants, but using a comic book movie as an "activism platform" instead of pure entertainment, bothers me, however the Captain Marvel character has sucked in comics since its inception, so fuck this racist bitch!

1. Super Mario Bros Movie
2. Rebel Moon
3. Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 1
4. Oppenheimer
5. The Flash
6. Elemental
7. Aquaman 2
8. Dune Part 2
9. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
10. Blue Beetle

Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:04 pm
Defeats all expectations

Brian wrote:
She can say whatever she wants, but using a comic book movie as an "activism platform" instead of pure entertainment, bothers me, however the Captain Marvel character has sucked in comics since its inception, so fuck this racist bitch!

Oh my...

She said she wanted to amplify the voices of non-whites and females, who are currently hugely under-represented in the critics and press circles. That's completely within the realm of the entertainment business she's in.

Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:39 pm
now we know

She said way more than that, and again I reiterate it's how she said it. Fuck this racist bitch!

Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:56 pm
Profile WWW
Defeats all expectations

Gamaur wrote:
I think Larson represents the most emotional, least utilitarian version of the feminist argument, but you know what, fucking good on her for using her voice and giving a shit.

What she said was actually very utilitarian and made perfect business sense. I can't even tell if she is a marketing person disguised as a feminist.

In marketing, you have to mine an audience your product is targeting. Film critics and the press are important intermediaries between you and your audience. You find the right spokespersons to reach out to the community you are marketing to.

Her "Wrinkle in Time" comments were provocative and could be offensive to some. But it's true you would not want to miss out on marketing to African-American teenage girls when your film was made specially about them. You might want to recruit members of the critics and press circle who are able to connect to your target audiences. Old white men were not the best choice in that case.

Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:22 pm
Defeats all expectations

Gamaur wrote:
i.hope wrote:
What she said was actually very utilitarian and made perfect business sense. I can't even tell if she is a marketing person disguised as a feminist.

Lol, nearly came back and added that comment was on the hyperbolic side - clearly far more extreme cases than her out there. I meant feminists with influence, that her approach is too emotional to make much of a difference in the long run. What she advocates is only utilitarian in theory; for a proposition to have utility, broad practical acceptance is needed, and her rhetoric is too binary and in-group tribal to be a mechanism of change on its own. She uses language that distances her cause from nearly half of the population. I still think it's necessary, but it's closer to idealism than anything else.

Putting her speech in context, she was trying to be provocative and put an extreme case out there to evoke laughs from her audiences at the dinner party. The main thesis of her speech was to call for diversity in the film critics and press circles, not to exclude old Caucasian men from them.

Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:56 am
New Server, Same X

I have no idea how she sleeps at night knowing she hurt so many fragile white male egos.

Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:11 pm
Ocarina of Time

It's not about ego, it's about the SJW stupidity that people are tired of seeing in entertainment.

1. Super Mario Bros Movie
2. Rebel Moon
3. Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 1
4. Oppenheimer
5. The Flash
6. Elemental
7. Aquaman 2
8. Dune Part 2
9. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
10. Blue Beetle

Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:11 pm
New Server, Same X

She wants more representation in film critics and journalists. She doesn't want white men removed and beheaded. Just wants other voices added to the conversation.

I've grown tired of a lot of "SJW stupidity", but the anti-SJW outrage that follows is equally tiresome.

Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:17 pm
Sbil

Mister Ecks wrote:
She wants more representation in film critics and journalists. She doesn't want white men removed and beheaded. Just wants other voices added to the conversation.

I've grown tired of a lot of "SJW stupidity", but the anti-SJW outrage that follows is equally tiresome.

You nailed it. I'm as tired as anyone of the so-called "SJWs" and of people getting offended at everything, but all Brie Larson did was advocate for more diversity which is never a bad thing.

The alt-right trolls coming out to sink every Captain Marvel poll online (like, a 3.2/10 Metacritic user score, LOL) is so pathetic to watch. Snowflakes everywhere.

Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:35 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

Brian wrote:
It's not about ego, it's about the SJW stupidity that people are tired of seeing in entertainment.

$153 mil OW says otherwise. Your kind are slowly being pushed back to the shadows.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:15 pm
Orphan

Chippy wrote:
Brian wrote:

$153 mil OW says otherwise. Your kind are slowly being pushed back to the shadows.

The results of the most recent Presidential Election says otherwise. Imagine how much CM could have made if it didn't go out of its way to alienate anyone. Studios should place a gag order on its stars to make any political statements. It doesn't attract any new audiences and just hurts a movie. Just ask Lionsgate and Liam Neeson's comments.

Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:15 pm
Devil's Advocate

I understand the neckbeards being mad that Marvel will soon be led by a woman and a black man, but directing the hate towards Larson was a stretch

Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:37 am
now we know

Shack wrote:
neckbeards

You sure love that term.

Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:55 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

Harry Warden wrote:
Chippy wrote:
Brian wrote:

The results of the most recent Presidential Election says otherwise. Imagine how much CM could have made if it didn't go out of its way to alienate anyone. Studios should place a gag order on its stars to make any political statements. It doesn't attract any new audiences and just hurts a movie. Just ask Lionsgate and Liam Neeson's comments.

Ahh yes, that's right. Hillary Clinton DID get more votes than that other guy. You're right. That further proves my point. People didn't even LIKE her and she whooped his ass in total votes.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:00 am
Orphan

Chippy wrote:
Harry Warden wrote:
Chippy wrote:
Brian wrote:

Ahh yes, that's right. Hillary Clinton DID get more votes than that other guy. You're right. That further proves my point. People didn't even LIKE her and she whooped his ass in total votes.

Thanks for reminding me why this place was and still is toxic. Purposefully alienating about 46% of your potential audience is really stupid. That’s millions of potential people that might have seen your movie. Chippy and his type live in a bubble where apparently total votes matter and Hilary is currently president in their minds.

Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:01 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

So wanting equal representation in media is "alienating" 46% of the audience?

That tells me a lot about that shitty 46%.

Sounds like you're still a treat, even after all these years of being banned for your behavior.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:05 pm
Gamaur's sex slave

Harry Warden wrote:
Chippy wrote:
Harry Warden wrote:
Chippy wrote:
Brian wrote:

Thanks for reminding me why this place was and still is toxic. Purposefully alienating about 46% of your potential audience is really stupid. That’s millions of potential people that might have seen your movie. Chippy and his type live in a bubble where apparently total votes matter and Hilary is currently president in their minds.

You only have to wait a couple of weeks and Frog Guy will swear he is leaving and won't ever return. He has done it already a dozen times. He is this site's Halley Comet. Back every 72 days although no one would care if he is away for 72 years.

Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:52 pm
Sbil

Toxic Fans Fail to ‘Ghostbuster’ Captain Marvel’s $153 Million Debut. What’s Next?

Quote:
In Marvel Studios’ Captain Marvel, Oscar winner Brie Larson portrays an elite extraterrestrial warrior with a cat named Goose who finds herself caught in the middle of a raging intergalactic battle. Offscreen, the comic-book movie adaptation is embroiled in its own war, clashing with internet trolls and toxic fans intent on sandbagging the action-thriller — sight unseen — with scathingly negative reviews on Rotten Tomatoes and IMDb. Ultimately, Captain Marvel looks to have won. During its opening weekend, the film grossed a robust $153 million domestically to become the Marvel Cinematic Universe’s seventh-biggest opening to date.

“Any trolling had a negligible impact. It only served to heighten the conversation around the film and raise awareness,” says Paul Dergarabedian, senior media analyst for Comscore.

Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:18 pm
now we know

Price wrote:
You only have to wait a couple of weeks and Frog Guy will swear he is leaving and won't ever return. He has done it already a dozen times. He is this site's Halley Comet. Back every 72 days although no one would care if he is away for 72 years.

:yes:

Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:38 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran

The $153m opening means little (the MCU has built up so much capital anything will open big). Let's wait until the 2nd weekend.

I was blind, but now I see.

Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next