Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 The Future of Movies 
KJ's Leading Pundit

Post The Future of Movies
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... uture.html

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:21 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Post Re: The Future of Movies
Reading some of these answers, Tim Rothman is a freaking dolt.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:34 pm
Devil's Advocate

I would assume there was just as much a concern at one point that VHS would take away the theatre, and then DVD, and in both cases the theatre ended up surviving because of the movie theatre experience and the big screen. I did read that Amazon's strategy with Late Night was to use its theatrical run as a few week advertisement for its home on streaming. That's an interesting idea that will have legs.

I agree that they need to make an adjustment in the output. People aren't going to go to movies like Booksmart in droves anytime soon, but it's possible to make high level mainstream films. Movies like 40YOV are both mainstream appealing, but also very good. The biggest reasons for romcoms decline is the movies were bad and then stars stopped doing them. I have been banging for years that the biggest crime in Hollywood right now is ignoring the potential for dramatic romance at the box office. I might have to write a WOKJ article about that. They make movies like the reason for Titanic's popularity is the the action thrills of the boat sinking and not the strong love story. There's not many films like Passengers, which despite having a lot go wrong (middling reviews, controversy etc.) still made 300 mil WW. If everything went right it would have made 300 domestic. Some of that is probably the actors not doing it, but still.

Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:16 am
llegó a la casa vía marítima

I think it will become completely segmented by audience and that audience will watch only a handful of releases per year because for anything else they can just watch it on streaming and it's so much more convenient.

So the mega tentpoles will still exist, but the low brow comedies, mid budget family movies, etc. that shared an audience with the big four quadrant blockbusters will virtually disappear because they can't compete with Toy Story and Avengers or whatever for the few times that audience will go out to the movies. Plus, those films won't be able to convince people they're must-see theatrical experiences, they're basically the same if you watch them at home.

Horror will survive because people want date nights.

High brow mainstream films (aka Oscar bait) will survive because those films don't share the same audience as the mega blockbusters. Snobby upper middle class adults need their date nights too.

Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:57 am
The Kramer

I think the subscription services will eventually be successful and bring back the small movies just like Apple and Spotify have revitalized the indie music scene - Moviepass might have ended up an embarrassing failure in the end but they undoubtably changed the industry for the better

Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:26 am
Romosexual!

Thank you MoviePass #RIP

Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:44 am
Homo Dperious

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
I think the subscription services will eventually be successful and bring back the small movies just like Apple and Spotify have revitalized the indie music scene - Moviepass might have ended up an embarrassing failure in the end but they undoubtably changed the industry for the better

Moviepass failed because the industry was was using oligarchic practices.

Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:23 am
Profile ICQ
Homo Dperious

Shack wrote:
I would assume there was just as much a concern at one point that VHS would take away the theatre, and then DVD, and in both cases the theatre ended up surviving because of the movie theatre experience and the big screen.

Did it? Or was industry growth strong enough that it simply slowed growth or prevented a steep decline? There were a lot of things that could be argued to have simultaneously driven growth while many parts of the industry were dying. Special effects kept improving, which also allowed more fantasy blockbusters to be realized, growing the most popular genres, and there was a growth in franchises. These changes accumulated. Perhaps only technology can save Hollywood from technology. But now I think Hollywood’s growth trends are facing diminished returns, and the negative trends can lead to the decline of the theater.

Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:41 am
Profile ICQ
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]