Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Paramount + WB 
Extraordinary

Post Paramount + WB
So looks like WB Discovery and Paramount are in merger talks! We knew there would be consolidation but thought a tech company might try to buy one of them up. The Big 6 studios became the Big 5 with Fox's acquisition and are on the cusp of being a Big 4!

Disney + Fox
WB + Paramount
Universal
Sony

Who's going to drop next? Thinking Sony spins off its film division eventually to a tech company maybe?

https://variety.com/2023/biz/news/warne ... 235847958/

Last edited by O on Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:41 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Post Re: Paramount + WB
Seems like this is where it’s headed with the too many streaming services and Disney/Hulu combining as a first one, there was rumours of Paramount and Apple too. Clearly Paramount+ is going to tap out as an individual streaming service, and at some point Apple needs to combine with a service with good catalog of older movies/tv shows.

Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:43 pm
Extraordinary

Shack wrote:
There was rumours of Paramount and Apple too. Clearly that Paramount+ has got to tap out and got to be taken over by a different streaming service.

Believe Paramount Plus and Apple + are going to bundle together their streaming package. With WB's streaming could be a sizable offering for Apple to buy outright eventually.

Disney stock is so down from its peak. Seems like it would be a viable and valuable time for a tech company to make a run for it as well.

Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:45 pm
Profile WWW
llegó a la casa vía marítima

Lol I love how anti-trust laws are basically a joke. Then in a few year's time all of these will end up being owned by Apple and Amazon.

I will say I raised my eyebrows at this and it feels like Paramount's publicist is trying to sweeten the deal for them:

Quote:
On the film side, Warner Bros. Discovery would acquire top-tier properties from Paramount Pictures, including such film franchises as Terminator, Transformers, Mission: Impossible, Top Gun, A Quiet Place, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, The Godfather, Paranormal Activity, Scream and Star Trek film franchises. The Warner Bros. Pictures stable includes the DC Extended Universe films, Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings movie franchises.

All those Paramount franchises are basically either totally done as profitable film properties apart from Quiet Place which isn't exactly huge, and a far cry from what WB owns.

Last edited by Barrabás on Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:53 am
llegó a la casa vía marítima

O wrote:
Shack wrote:
There was rumours of Paramount and Apple too. Clearly that Paramount+ has got to tap out and got to be taken over by a different streaming service.

Believe Paramount Plus and Apple + are going to bundle together their streaming package. With WB's streaming could be a sizable offering for Apple to buy outright eventually.

Disney stock is so down from its peak. Seems like it would be a viable and valuable time for a tech company to make a run for it as well.

Wait, you're right. And if that happens it will shoot through the roof. Let me go buy some Disney stock.

Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:54 am
Quality is a great business plan

I hope Lina Khan nukes this. I am not seeing any synergy in this at all. Just tons of jobs will be lost. I would rather one of the big tech company buying either WB or Paramount or both by 2 different companies. But Lina Khan will nuke that as well.

I used to be shawman.

Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]