Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1994 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 80  Next
 All-Time Top 100 Movie List Thread (Update Time!!) 
now we know

Post Re: Return of the All-Time Top 100 Movie List Thread (thegun
Good pick with Sin City. It also blew me away, and it is exactly how you want all comicbook adaptations to be like...but rarely they are.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:27 pm
Profile WWW
Z

Location: Wherever he went, including here, it was against his better judgment.
His list gets worse and worse as it nears the top.

Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:27 am
Profile WWW
The Incredible Hulk

6 matches. perhaps would have thought that a 'love' of foreign movies would have warranted more than, like, two spots.

Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:01 pm
The Kramer

Wow algren is fast and furious out of nowhere. I've seen almost everything on there besides half of the Stallone movies. Mostly good stuff, although a lot more internet popular films than I expected. :P

Snatch was another very close call. Wonderful movie. And obviously I love Ghostbusters and Young Frankenstein.

Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:51 pm
Pure Phase

I slightly prefer Lock, Stock... to Snatch, but both are terrific fun.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:57 pm
On autopilot for the summer

15. Rocky through Balboa (Minus the V)

The Rocky series has always had a special place in my heart. At their best, wonderful sports films, but also one of the best movie romances of all time. At it's worst they are always entertaining with great music, and action sequences. Sylvester Stallone will always be synonymous with Rocky Balboa. He's the timeless character you can always get behind. I even think V would have been better received if it wasn't a Rocky movie. I can't pick a favorite, so I won't even try.

14. Big Trouble in Little China (1986)

Big Trouble in Little China is one of those films, that I always find pleasure in showing people who have never seen it. No one has never not liked it a lot. It's a wonderful action comedy with a awesome world brought to life by Carpenter. Kurt Russell has many iconic performances and characters, but this one is tops for me.

13. Monty Python and The Holy Grail (1975)

"We are no longer the Knights Who Say Ni. We are now the Knights Who Say Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-PTANG. Zoom-Boing. Z'nourrwringmm!"

Who says I don't have enough foreign films? :mer: This is the kind of film you have a conversation with your friends where you argue about which scene is the funniest, and before you realize it, you've mentioned every scene. Hilarious from start to finish. Inspired the very funny musical Spamelot as well.

12. The Thing (1982)

Bum Bum, Morricone!

Fuck ET, this is the best alien film of 1982. The best horror film of all time for me. The first time I saw it I couldn't believe what I saw. It's bleak, extremely violent, and in no ways a light hearted romp. Yet this is one of the most watchable films I've ever seen. Great ensemble, and while the gore and sci fi elements are in the foreground, the paranoia brought about by the strong acting is what really sells it.

11. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's nest (1975)

Awesome Awesome Awesome. Seeing the play many times and reading the book, everything about this movie is legendary to me. Wonderful performances headed by Jack Nicholson, and a terrifying villain. This movie is just different from the book, despite still being a great adaptation. The just kept the cameras rolling and let the actors shine. It deserved certainly every oscar it won and was just a superb film. Nicholson in his prime is just unreal. It's a prime that's lasted almost 45 years.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:36 pm
A very honest-hearted fellow

Argos wrote:
If I read you say 'in any way, shape, or form' one more time, I shall kill a nearby cat.

At the end of the day, it is what it is.

Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:57 am
Profile WWW
Z

Location: Wherever he went, including here, it was against his better judgment.
Caius wrote:
Argos wrote:
If I read you say 'in any way, shape, or form' one more time, I shall kill a nearby cat.

I should probably thank you guys for introducing me to a variety of ready-made phrases that y'all use day in, day out or, let us say, 24/7. In truth, tho, I could care less.

Spoiler: show
The last one is so enormously stupid it makes my mind vomit.

Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:04 pm
Profile WWW

10. Groundhog Day (1993)

This is just a special film. At the base of a very funny high concept Bill Murray comedy is a lot of heartfelt touching moments, sprinkled with deeper sadder questions about humanity, faith. It's a film that will continue to grow on repeat viewings for me. And such a wonderful attention to detail from Harold Ramis, where even the extras, costumes and lighting to stay consistent throughout, small touches like that to make the strong screenplay really shine on screen. Bill Murray is fantastic and his romance with McDowell is very effective. Who would have ever thought a film about one of the dumbest holidays would prove to be better than any other holiday film.

9. Aliens (1986)

I really love Alien, but James Cameron's followup is a whole different ball game. It's frightening in it's intensity, where as the original relied on more suspense. Not to say Aliens doesn't build suspense as well. Often hailed as one of the best action scenes, it really only has about 3 or 4 big ones, with the first not appearing for an hour well into the picture. It's major strengths is that it does not do a disservice to Alien, it merely enhances and expands on ideas, going from truckers in space to Vietnam in space. Bill Paxton, Michael Beihn, Lance Henriksen and the rest of the actors shine as the ultimate badasses that are no match for what's in store. But it's still Weaver's film and she is unbelievable.

8. The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly (1966)

Yes, the best Western ever made, and one of the best films ever made in addition. And Yes I have seen quite a bit. I always felt the spagheti westerns were the best of them, and this is the epitome of them. Its very rare that the third film of a trilogy is the best. The lesser seen entries, Fistful of Dollars and For a Few Dollars More are also wonderful films making it a rare treat for the genre which are usually more stand alone films. Wonderful scenery, fantastic moments of action, humor, and of course the great score. The final 20 minutes are filmmaking at it's finest. Clint Eastwood became the legend he was meant to with this film.

7. The Great Escape (1963)

The greatest war film ever made, and there isn't even a battle in there. Not in the conventional sense anyway. Loosely based on the true story, Easily the best ensemble of actors in this era of film. Donald Pleasance, James Garner, Richard Attenbourgh, James Coburn, Charles Bronson and of course Steve McQueen. It's really just an all around great movie, with a tragic ending, but definitely showed the spirit of the allied troops. Every character is great and the escape itself is epic. Of course McQueen's character was completely fictional, but his motorcycle chase will always be legendary. You always wish he will made that final jump. Truly spectacular.

6. The Terminator/ Terminator 2: Judgement Day

The epitome of what makes a great action film. Stunts and visuals that push the limits. Strong characters with stories you can get behind, and villains that unstoppable. The Terminator is a rather smaller, grittier film that is just as much a slasher film as it is a terrific science fiction film. Luckily in the better part of 5 years, both Cameron and Schwarzenegger became the biggest things in hollywood and were able to complete embrace the blockbuster elements for their followup. Terminator 2 is still a thrill a minute action film that is still what would be considered too edgy for audiences today. It today's market a film like this would never make 300+ unless it was PG 13 and completely toned down. But the first two films ruthlessness and panache for downer endings is what separates them from the rest.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:12 pm
Pure Phase

I love The Great Escape. I have a few Steve McQueen films on my list.

I prefer The Terminator to T2.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:18 pm

I tried desperately to fit Papillon on there, just couldn't make it. He was definitely the coolest actor of all time. It's so ironic that Eastwood, Hackman, Connery, and McQueen were all born the same year. We definitely got robbed of him too early. The 80s and 90s could have been a really great transitional period for him.

I'll be working the next 5 hours. Will have top 5 up by 7.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:23 pm
Pure Phase

And the few films he made after The Towering Inferno are mediocre, sadly. But his run from 1960 to 1974 is terrific. Lots of iconic films, roles, and scenes.

Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:29 pm
Gamaur's sex slave

Of the last films listed, the only ones not in my top 100 are Groundhog Day and T2. All others are there with two in my top 10.

Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:34 pm

David wrote:
And the few films he made after The Towering Inferno are mediocre, sadly. But his run from 1960 to 1974 is terrific. Lots of iconic films, roles, and scenes.

True, but if you look at the others as well, Connery, Hackman, and even Eastwood all made a good amount of turkeys in the late 70s, and a lot of the 80s. I found his final three films to be solid if unspectacular films. I think he would have done well going into his 60s.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:10 pm
A very honest-hearted fellow

Argos wrote:
Caius wrote:
Argos wrote:

I should probably thank you guys for introducing me to a variety of ready-made phrases that y'all use day in, day out or, let us say, 24/7. In truth, tho, I could care less.

Spoiler: show
The last one is so enormously stupid it makes my mind vomit.

In the corporate world, I hear turgid phrases like that all the time and that one is particularly loathsome.

Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:21 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

Ich könnte weniger kehren.

Ator: I love you.
Sunya: And I love you.
Ator: Why can't we marry?
Sunya: Ator, we are brother and sister.
Ator: I'll talk with our father.

Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:14 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Verdammt!

Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:19 pm

5. The Empire Strikes Back (1980)

A truly wonderful film that feels less like a sequel and more like the middle section of the space epic that is Star Wars. OT of course. The heros introduced in a New Hope are at their most vulnerable as they are on the brink of being destroyed by the greatest movie villain of all time. Darth Vs. Luke is still the best light saber fight in my opinion. The effects, Yoda, Han is at his best, etc. It's as fun as the first, while going extremely dark at times. I feel bad for those that have grown up now knowing the prequels as ESB once greatest twist ending of all time, is something they will have always known.

4. Pulp Fiction (1994)

There won't be many surprises in my top 10, what can I say as much as I love Tarantino's other films, Pretty much all are A+ films for me, there is just something about Pulp Fiction that always stays with me the most. It's classically told but at the same time plays with all of the conventions. The acting is fantastic across the board with Travolta coming back from the dead and Willis not too far away either. The music choices, the non conventional editing, and a gimp all make Pulp Fiction awesome in every aspect.

3. Memento (2000)

I love Guy Pearce, who has always just been on the shadow of being famous, but that doesn't bother me. Christopher Nolan's original masterpiece is a mind fuck of a film. It's told backwards yet it works to the film's advantage. It really puts you in the mind of someone with short term memory trying to solve the unsolvable mystery. And what an ending, or beginning!

2. Shawshank Redemption (1994)

For all it's downbeat moments, and the grueling aspects of a prisoner's life in prison, this a movie no matter whenever I flick through and find it, have to watch it. Maybe it's Morgan freeman's cozy narration that makes you trust the film even at it's worst. Maybe it's subtle yet amazing performance by Tim Robbins. Maybe it's just because the screenplay, story, and setting is so perfectly executed. Whatever it is Shawshank Redemption is the most impressive drama I've ever seen. I've walked the sets where it was filmed and it gave me chills. No one adapts Stephen King like Daranbout.

1. Raiders of the Lost Ark (The Trilogy)

To be honest, it's a tough trek to come up with a surprising list when no doubt anyone that has read enough of my posts or looked at my avatar, knows my love for Indiana Jones. The greatest character ever made, in the best set of adventure films' ever made. They are the reason they got me so into movies in the first place. I love being scared, I love thinking about them, and I love questioning myself and what I just saw on the screen. But films for their purest forms are the ones that can combine all of those together, and this series is it for me. That feeling of some day I want to contribute something like that that has had such an impact on me. I left out Crystal Skull despite me still really enjoying it, because these 3 films were there from the beginning. Each one with their strengths, at any given moment I can call any of the three my favorite of the series. Temple of Doom for being such an original sequel that throws normal sequel methods and repeats nothing. Last Crusade for the addition of Sean Connery, and the great chemistry he had with Ford. Raiders for having a wonderful dramatic edge, and budding romance, amongst all the action. At the end of the day Ford, Spielberg, Lucas, and Williams inspired more filmmakers, actors, etc. that they can do what they dream to do, and that they can do it their way. But I'm not sure anyone will ever top them.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:32 pm

GuybrushX McMurphy wrote:
Ich könnte weniger kehren.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:33 pm

For the recap:

100. Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery (1997)
99. Thank you for Smoking (2005)
98. Glengarry Glen Ross(1992)
97. Misery (1990)
96. Toy Story (1995)
95. Gross Pointe Blank (1997)
94. Lola Rennt (Run Lola Run) (1998)
93. Sideways (2004)
92. Broadcast News (1987)
91. American Beauty (1999)
90. The Royal Tenenbaums (2000)
89. Bigger than Life (1956)
88. Get Shorty (1995)
87. Commando (1985)
86. Spartan (2004)
85. Three Kings (1999)
84. Ed Wood (1994)
83. The Untouchables (1987)
82. Blood Diamond (2006)
81. Kung Fu Hustle (2004)
80. A fish Called Wanda (1988)
79. Boogie Nights (1997)
78. The Secret of Nimh (1982)
77. Clue (1985)
76. Dirty Harry (1971)
75. Some Like It Hot (1958)
74. Planes, Trains, and automobiles (1987)
73. Frequency (2000)
72. Catch Me if you Can (2003)
71. Batman Returns (1992)
70. American Psycho (2000)
69. Election (1999)
68. JFK (1990)
67.5 Escape from New York (1981)
67. Lethal Weapon 2 (1989)
66. A Perfect World (1993)
65. Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948)
64. A League of Their Own (1992)
63. Casino Royale (2006)
62. Awakenings (1990)
61. Tombstone (1993)
60. Pee Wee's Big Adventure (1985)
59. Saving Private Ryan (1998)
58. The Breakfast Club (1985)
57. The Elephant Man (1980)
56. In Bruges (2008)
55. The Seventh Seal (1957)
54. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2004)
53. Kill Bill (Both Volumes) (03-04)
52. Night of the Hunter (1955)
51. The Sting (1973)
50. Forrest Gump (1994)
49. Witness (1985)
48. Rudy (1993)
47. Midnight Run (1988)
46. The Big Chill (1983)
45. The Departed (2006)
44. Noises Off (1992)
43. Fargo (1996)
42. Taxi Driver (1976)
41. The Game (1997)
40. High Plains Drifter (1973)
39. Aladdin (1992)
38. Tremors (1990)
37. Shaun of the Dead (2004)
36. The French Connection (1971)
35. The Matrix (1999)
34. The Fugitive (1993)
33. Halloween (1978)
32. The Blues Brothers (1980)
31. Vertigo (1958)
30. The Usual Suspects (1995)
29. Silence of the Lambs (1991)
28. Psycho (1960)
27. Hot Fuzz (2007)
26. The Princess Bride (1987)
25. Back to the Future Part II (1989) (And the series!)
24. Airplane! (1980)
23. The Road Warrior (1981)
22. Jaws (1975)
21. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (2005)
20. Snatch (2000)
19. Charade (1963)
18. Ghostbusters (1984)
17. Sin City (2005)
16. Young Frankenstein (1974)
15. Rocky through Balboa (Minus the V)
14. Big Trouble in Little China (1986)
13. Monty Python and The Holy Grail (1975)
12. The Thing (1982)
11. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's nest (1975)
10. Groundhog Day (1993)
9. Aliens (1986)
8. The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly (1966)
7. The Great Escape (1963)
6. The Terminator/ Terminator 2: Judgement Day
5. The Empire Strikes Back (1980)
4. Pulp Fiction (1994)
3. Memento (2000)
2. Shawshank Redemption (1994)
1. Raiders of the Lost Ark (The Trilogy)

Thanks again for patient. Most of you anyway, haha. Overall I think I'm pretty happy with how the list finished up. I don't think I really forgot anything. And like I said in the beginning, the next 100 are so close together it wouldn't have mattered too much.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:53 pm
Pure Phase

Very solid list, sir. Very solid indeed.

Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:57 pm
The Kramer

Great stuff gun thanks for sharing. Groundhog Day is one that I legitimately forgot about or it would have been there. I love that movie. Really need to see Great Escape. Seems like we have pretty similar taste overall. Only major difference is the lack of stoner comedies.

Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:53 am
The Wall

Magnus wrote:
-As stated earlier, I have combined certain franchises to one entry slot. If you don't agree with such a decision, whatever. It's my list.

For me that depends on the franchise. I'd definitely bundle Star Wars IV-VI, but I don't think I'd bundle The Matrix trilogy as the first movie is miles ahead of the sequels.

Magnus wrote:
-I'll likely not reveal much over the weekend as I do most of the stuff at work so this will definitely spillover into next week though I don't plan on taking more than 6 days total

Algren is travelling. So don't worry. :thumbsup:

Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:53 am
Profile WWW
The Wall

Yay! The Apartment!

Good start.

Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:17 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Good start. We have one match already. :)

I do find The Apartment very overvalued, though. Just doesn't do much for me. Nor does Some Like It Hot (on the prior list).

Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:18 am
Reply to topic   [ 1994 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 80  Next