Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 1994 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 80  Next
 All-Time Top 100 Movie List Thread (Update Time!!) 
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: Return of the All-Time Top 100 Movie List Thread
You can sign me up. My Top 100 has changed a lot since the last time I organized it (2007/2008?).

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:00 pm
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

Yeah, since my 2007 list, I have about 100 films that would make their own solid top 100 list that aren't on mine. He's only in the 80s though, I made a great amount of progress since earlier today already.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:14 pm
The Kramer

Halftime

80. Old School (2003)

Spoiler: show

"You're my boy, Blue!" Old School broke Will Ferrell and Vince Vaughn, and Ellen Pompou for you Grey's Anatomy fans. Vince Vaughn is so good in it that he has made a successful career out of playing this character in every movie. :P I'm just having fun with you Vince. Even Andy Dick can be funny in this movie as he teaches the girls how to better suck dick. Poor Luke Wilson never seemed to find much luck though, despite appearing in great films like Idiocracy. He's someone that I like to root for. And seeing him go off on his boss like a boss is the best. Favorite is when they start kidnapping their pledges, set perfectly to "Master of Puppets".

79. Predator (1987)

[img[http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/95/Predator_Movie.jpg[/img]

"I don't have time to bleed." Neither do I, Jesse Ventura. "Get to thee choppa!" I would if I could! "Billy!" Why would you try to fight the Predator on your own? :( Predator was already a great movie before the real story starts. These are manly men who stab scorpions off each other's backs as a way of saying "Watch out". When they see one of their members shooting at a forest they all unload before asking any questions. Yet what when their muscles and gun are completely useless? Against an enemy that is hunting you for sport? Panic, make bad decisions and die just like everybody else would.

78. Braveheart (1995)

A film that I did not love the first go around. Sure the battles were great, but the first act is so very long. Repeated viewings have changed my mind on that, as well as made me appreciate the other characters in the movie. Wallace wants freedom, but wants revenge against the country who killed his lover more. The beginning shape his motivations and makes this epic even epicier. The battles are still the best part of the film, yet they wouldn't mean anything without the stakes around them.

Will post more at the end of the game. :)

Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:16 pm
Pure Phase

None of his films match mine yet.

But no one is perfect.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:01 am
The Kramer

Good news, Denver's dominance has made this game a little boring, so the next set is earlier than planned. Like when you get your Christmas presents of Christmas Eve.

77. Friday (1995)

Next Friday was a close call and would probably show up between 130-101. Friday edges it out mostly because of Chris Tucker as Smokey. He owned the record for best utterance of a curse word for nearly a decade before Clay Davis unseated him. John Witherspoon adds in a great supporting performance as Craig's dad, mixing shit jokes with heartfelt speeches. Friday is another movie that I've seen dozens of times and never tired of. The great comedies hold up like that. "And you know, mannn!"

76. Alien (1979)

Another film that approves with age. As a youngin' I found the first half of the movie quite boring. Now it's suspense is an absolute counter to the nonstop horror in the second half. And the facesuckers are just as scary as the actual alien. At least that is a quick death. A facesucker poisons you slowly, giving you hope that nothing is wrong until an alien bursts out of your fucking chest. Now you're stranded with it in deep space, with no hope of rescue or reason. Many of the great horror and sci-fi films still follow Alien's lead, cementing it's continued relevancy.

75. 12 Angry Men (1957)

Personally I think the kid was guilty. Just look at him! Henry Fonda sets out to convince us otherwise and show just what reasonable doubt is, besides an awesome Jay-Z album. Entertaining and educational? Thank you Hollywood. My main problem with older is the slow as snails pacing. Blame the ADD the internet gave me or my love for action spectacle if you will. 12 Angry Men had no problems though, as it sped along like a well crafted thriller despite only having 12 men in a single room for most of the runtime.

74. Full Metal Jacket (1987)

We saw a lot of movies about how much the Vietnam War sucked. Stanely Kubrick and co.'s take focuses on how these normal guys are turned into killers. Ronald Lee Ermey commands the screen in his iconic role for most of the first half, breaking these soldiers down to nothing. That didn't turn out so well for him, but we the viewer get an astonishing sequence. The second half of the movie is often criticized. There are three scenes I really love though. 1. These boots are made for walking 2. The Newsroom scene 3. The Newsroom . The actual depiction of the war is nothing new, but seeing these people who are struggling with whether or not they should keep their humanity is fascinating and disturbing.

Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:47 am
The Kramer

David wrote:

But no one is perfect.
I think it would be funny if we went 100/100 without matches. Doubt it will happen though. If Alien didn't do it I'm pretty sure a movie I'll post tomorrow will.

Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:54 am
The Incredible Hulk

sure, i'll have a go. :)

Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:29 am
Pure Phase

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
David wrote:

But no one is perfect.
I think it would be funny if we went 100/100 without matches. Doubt it will happen though. If Alien didn't do it I'm pretty sure a movie I'll post tomorrow will.

I do love Alien, but it did not end up on my list, so we are still matchless.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:57 am
now we know

Predator :D

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:21 am
Profile WWW
The Kramer

73. Goodfellas (1990)

As much as I like Marty, this is actually his own film to make the cut. Sorry Taxi Driver and Raging Bull! You're great. It's me, not you. Goodfellas sure made the life of a gangster seem glorious. Even the bad parts, like your murdered body being discovered set to Layla (got me on my knees). I've never been a fan of cocaine, but it seems like a hell of a drug. One that makes paranoid helicopter searching seem like something I'd want to do. I know Marty tries to show us the good and bad parts of the life, but even their time in prison is lived better than most. And he gets away with it all! That's justice for you. No wonder the life of a gangster is so appealing.

72. King Kong (1933)

The oldest film on the list and I think it was also the first one I saw. I loved this movie so much that I refused to watch anything but monster movies until my teenage years. Other kids were watching Disney, I was watching Dracula and The Creature From the Black Lagoon. King Kong stood out among the old school monster movies though. A giant ape does fight dinosaurs after all. Where else are you going to see that? Attempting to control and profit off of such a powerful force they cannot understand backfires of course, and Kong is deemed a terrorist. I wanna know how that species survived without a female though, cause Kong falls in love with human females a little too quickly. One day I hope they make a parody where Mrs. Kong knocks him off the Empire State Building with a whack from a frying pan.

71. Dogma (1999)

AKA God Will Hunting. Remember when people actually got mad about this film? I wonder what those people are doing now, with the mockery of Christians being a common thing nowadays. Maybe it is the eyes of the future, but there isn't really anything here that is that controversial. Sure Jesus is black and god is a woman, but so what! I guess religious just don't know what humor is. Anyways, this is Kevin Smith's best job casting as not only do we have Damon and Affleck, but Alan Rickman, Salma Hayek, Jason Lee, Chris Rock and George Carlin! With that kind of talent on and off screen there are very few dull moments. The best sequence is on the train, where are heroes and villains get to know each other without realizing who the others are. And Kevin Smith gets to quote Indiana Jones "No ticket."

Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:03 pm
The Kramer

70. L.A. Confidential (1997)

This movie has such a great cast, that it was able to weather the death of its biggest star halfway through the movie! Luckily the Aussie's are more than capable of carrying the load and bringing down James Cromwell. Curtis Hanson and crew do a great job taking these two flawed characters, a snitch and a rageaholic, and turning them into noir heroes. The last stand shootout at the end is also one of the best in film.

69. Clerks (1994)

More Kevin Smith already cause I knew you were asking for it, KJ. I think the above highlights why Kevin Smith has a huge fanbase and why an equal (or greater) number of people hate him. Here we have two guys fucking around at dead-end jobs, talking about something that we would talk about. The only difference is the awesome music choice of "Chewbacca, what a wookie" and a random stranger that settles the argument for them. I guess it depends on if you want to root for self-obsessed nerds, and I don't mind doing that at all.

68. Hot Fuzz (2007)

The middle section of the trilogy takes a by-the-books hero cop out of his element, due to him making the other police officers look bad. There are usually one or two antagonistic cops who get jealous of the star, but never has it been so friendly and unified. Sandford seems to have no crime. And if we didn't see the murders ourselves, we would also think Nicholas was acting crazy. While investigating, his partner Danny tries to teach him what a movie cop hero should be like. "Have you ever fired both guns simultaneously while jumping through the air?" Nicholas turns out to be right about the murders, but wrong about the motivations, which are kind of silly but also kind of disturbing. After all that the shit hits the walls, Nicholas and Danny get to live like true action star ballers, including firing both guns simultaneously while jumping through the air.

Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:43 pm
Pure Phase

Woo, still no matches! Going for 0/100 now. ;)

Those are a lot of very fine choices, though.

Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:48 pm
The Kramer

67. Batman Begins (2005)

I am one who enjoys a great superhero movies. So much so that is surprised me, and all of you I'm sure, that it took this long for a live-action superhero movie to turn up. Eight years after the disastrous Batman & Robin (the one-liners make it fun) , not many people were expecting too much from a Batman reboot. Sure, Chris Nolan had shown tons of promise with his earlier work. Yet how many times have we seen an indie director take the reigns of a mega budget franchise and become completely overwhelmed? I knew I loved it, but was was a little shocked when the entire theater burst into applause at the end of the movie. What could have been Batman's funeral ended up as one of the best and most successful trilogies.

66. X2: X-Men United (2003)

Well it didn't take long for more superheroes to show up. i really don't understand why Nightcrawler only appeared in one X-Men film. His opening action sequence almost steals the show here, and sets up a potential war between mutants and humans that serves as the plot of the film. Luckily the rest of the film is able to live up to the thrilling opening sequence. The standout being the mansion battle, where Wolverine goes full beserker mode in order to protect the young ones he pretends to not care about. He must weigh his adopted family vs the answers to his origins that he so desperately seeks. After seeing X-Men: Origins, we all know that it's not worth it and he makes the right call sticking with the team.

65. Dumb and Dumber (1994)

The Farrelly had a great 90s, Kingpin and Mary also almost made the cut. The team of Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels stays above the pack though. We have great quotes like "So you're saying there's a chance?" and "What if they shot you in the head?" Really everything they say is a great quote. They aren't mentally retarded, they're just stupid. They lack the ability to question their own poor logic and just keep moving forward. So it's OK to laugh at them and with them for all you politically correct people feeling awkward.

Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:57 pm
Ocarina of Time

13 matches for me so far, great list!

1. Super Mario Bros Movie
2. Rebel Moon
3. Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 1
4. Oppenheimer
5. The Flash
6. Elemental
7. Aquaman 2
8. Dune Part 2
9. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
10. Blue Beetle

Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:56 pm
Pure Phase

X2 is a great choice.

Still no matches.

Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:06 pm
Killing With Kindness

8 matches

Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:11 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

64. Mallrats (1995)

The third and final Kevin Smith movie. I always go back and forth on which is the best of these three, which is why all three have appeared within seven spots of one another. Jeremy London and Jason as two slackers who must save their girlfriends from dating game ripoffs and sex in a "very uncomfortable place" from Ben Affleck. Kevin Smith successfully uses the force, there's a three nippled fortune teller and Stan Lee gives a speech about how no amount of comic books can bring the woman you love. What's not to like?

63. Amadeus (1984)

Another film that took more than one viewing to appreciate. Viewing a movie in high school never leaves one satisfied, but I remember thinking this was just stupid. I think it was only loyal's Ultimate Movie Mayhem game than made me Amadeus another chance. And what a completely different experience I received. Amadeus is gripping from beginning to end. The highlight is the opera wars that take place in the middle of the movie. Salieri continually puts out the best he can, which is very very good, only to be topped by Mozart time and time again. The history of this movie is obviously completely inaccurate, but I'm willing to bet that it's more interesting than what actually happened.

62. Apocalypse Now (1979)

Not even Daniel Bryan can use "Flight of the Valkyries" so well. I don't know if I like the redux version more. Most of the extra scenes are great. The plantation is solid stuff too, it just comes at such a bad time. I can never get over that I could be watching the long awaited meeting between Martin Sheen and Marlin Branco, but instead am watching this french guy talk about colonialism. I also wish more movies would go creditless. To do it before the internet era was ballsy, nowadays it seems anybody could get away with it but nobody does. I blame the unions, the directors guild should fight the other guilds for this.

Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:41 pm
Pure Phase

I love Amadeus and Apocalypse Now. Both almost made my list. Apocalypse Now came particularly close.

Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:01 pm
The Kramer

61. Spider-Man 2 (2004)

While parts of the first Spider-Man have become very dated, Dafoe's Goblin being the most obvious, Spider-Man 2 still looks just as good as last year's The Amazing Spider-Man. Spidey and Doctor Octopus brawl starting on a tower and ending on the train is exhilarating. Alfred Molina's performance is sincere compared to Dafoe's hammy take on the Golbin, and James Franco's even hammier performance in the third film.

60. Lawrence of Arabia (1962)

I've talked about pacing a lot in this thread. I consider to be at the very top of the spectrum in this depart. It's ridiculous four hour runtime flies by, making it feel like a 2 hour movie. If you were wondering, I'd place Across The Universe on the opposite side, where two hours feels like ten months. The long wide shots of the desert are hypnotic. Really just an all-time great in the fascinating cinematography department. They should re-release it in imax just for me.

Small update, but I'm out of time for now.

Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:33 pm
Pure Phase

Woo, we have one matching film now. ;)

Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:35 pm
Pure Phase

I notice there are no superhero films on my list, which was not intentional in any way as I enjoy comics and superhero mythology as much as the next person. If I did include one, it would be Superman Returns or X2, though Spider-Man 2 is also solid.

Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:50 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Solid batch of films so far. Dogma was a film I really enjoyed the first/second time I watched it, but have since become disinterested in seeing it again. I counted 5 matches.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:43 pm
Profile WWW
Killing With Kindness

still at 8 matches

Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:16 pm
Profile WWW
Ocarina of Time

Still at 13 matches

1. Super Mario Bros Movie
2. Rebel Moon
3. Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 1
4. Oppenheimer
5. The Flash
6. Elemental
7. Aquaman 2
8. Dune Part 2
9. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
10. Blue Beetle

Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:17 pm
now we know

Just to let you all know, when I go (after Thegun), I will be listing mine at a rate of five titles per post every 10 minutes or so, so mine will be over very quickly. I will not drag it out too long like Flava'd.

It's very hard to keep track of the matches when I have to re-check other pages. I can't be assed to do this.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:22 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 1994 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 80  Next