Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 1994 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 80  Next
 All-Time Top 100 Movie List Thread (Update Time!!) 
Ocarina of Time

Post Re: Return of the All-Time Top 100 Movie List Thread
Wonder know if Scott Pilgrim will make Flava's top 5 :roll:

1. Super Mario Bros Movie
2. Rebel Moon
3. Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 1
4. Oppenheimer
5. The Flash
6. Elemental
7. Aquaman 2
8. Dune Part 2
9. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
10. Blue Beetle

Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:35 pm
The Kramer

That is one of the burning questions Brian. And you're right Algren, I am taking too long.

59. Se7en (1995)

Spoiler: show

"What's in the box?" A rather messed up way to end a movie is for one of your protagonists to find his wife's severed head. The most disturbing kill to me though is the gluttony. I've always been uncomfortable watching other people eat, even in film. So watching somebody being forced to eat themselves to death made me nauseous. As well as sloth where a man is tied to a bed for a year and slowly rots away. Kevin Spacey's John Doe one of the most inventive and fucked up serial killers.

58. Who Framed Roger Rabbit? (1988)

Before it was cool to put computer animation in a live action film, Roger Rabbit perfected the technique. A goofy children's cartoon character is framed for murder, and only Bob Hoskins can help him prove his innocence. Putting these beloved cartoons against a murder mystery is of the better counterbalances ever. And we also have Christopher Lloyd as the bad guy who might have a crazy eyed evil cartoon lurking beneath his human skin.

57. The Warriors (1979)

"Can you count, suckas?" Cyrus' speech pumps me up just as much as before any epic fantasy battles. I guess Cyrus is trying to rally the troops for a fantasy battle, before he is coldly murdered for the hell of it. That triggers several more battles with the framed Warriors and gang members in ridiculous outfit. This movie has more in commin with Roger Rabbit then I ever realized before just now. It just goes much further in setting the perfect balance between goofy and dead serious.

56. Blade Runner (1982)

There are so many different versions of this movie now that I can't remember which ones I've seen. I don't remember Harrison Ford doing a voiceover, but this could be due to my selective memory. This is another one those sci-fi trend setters, as mostly every dystopia since has had Blade Runner qualities. It's also a movie that is more relevant now than it was upon release. It certainly is an acquired taste. The visuals are engrossing, but certainly not pretty. Everything here from beginning to end is very melancholic.

Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:27 am
now we know

I'm still waiting to see any truly shocking choices. They are pretty safe. Flava'd, are you also an IMDB/popularity follower?

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:32 am
Profile WWW
The Kramer

55. Bad Boys 2 (2003)

Pure, uncut Michael Bay. For the first and last time, Bay was given a huge budget to make an R rated version of whatever the hell he wants. The result is what you would expect. A two and a half hour rollercoaster, with the only moments you're not on the edge of your seat is when you're rolling on the floor laughing. The scene in the electronics store, harassing the teenager and Martin rolling face give us perfect brief tension breaks before our next car chase or shoot em up. And we all know Mr. Bay does these better than anyone.

54. The Godfather Part 2 (1974)
53. The Godfather (1972)

These two are basically interchangeable in quality, so it seems wrong to separate them. I didn't want to combine them though cause that seemed cheap. And nobody about The Godfather's seems cheap. Everything is done with class on and off screen. The montages of murder are edited and executed with class. Al Pacino's tragic journey from an idealist to absolutely cold blooded Don who murders his own brother was shocking. Losing that Sicilian girl really messed him up. Sorry everybody he loved before that!

52. Back to the Future (1985)

Getting not one, but two Huey Lewis songs is a great place to start. I like adventures, time travel, live-action Zemeckis films, Michael J. Fox, Christopher Lloyd, Crispin Glover and the idea of a goofy scientist stealing weapons grade plutonium from terrorists. Alan Silvestri provides also provides a great score, cause really, Huey Lewis is only good in small doses. The time travel logic is solid, but it does bother me that the only thing that changed was his fathers life becoming better. Who knows what else he affected?

Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:57 am
Pure Phase

Two matches now.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:21 am
now we know

Ok, Bad Boys 2 was sort of surprising. But still, pretty safe.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:23 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

I don't mean this in a disrespectful way, but Flava'd is a very traditional Internet film fan in a Ain't It Cool News/JoBlo type way: superhero films, Michael Bay, Kevin Smith, Edgar Wright, a few mainstream '90s comedies for which he is nostalgic, almost every choice very masculine, etc.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Last edited by David on Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:31 am
now we know

Go on, mean it disrespectfully. I dare ya'!

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:34 am
Profile WWW
The Kramer

What would be a shocking choice, algren? Like The Wedding Planner?

51. Annie Hall (1977)

Although it is a key part of the film and done well here, I wish that Annie Hall had not popularized breaking the fourth wall and talking directly to the audience. It has been used ineffectively so many times since and is now a bummer to watch. My favorite scene is still little neurotic Alvy expressing his worry that a constantly expanding universe will eventually snap.

50. RoboCop (1987)

RoboCop wins the award for best use of absolute brutality. The boardroom scene where Ed-209 malfunctions, Murphy getting shot to pieces and acid face getting exploded by a van are the standouts although there are plenty more. Should I fell bad about also finding these scenes hilarious? Probably, but I don't. And I would have to re-do this entire list with a new non-violent perspective. How boring would that be? "Dead or alive, you're coming with me" may be more quoted, but we all know that "Bitches, leave" is more memorable.

49. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989)

The funniest movie of the saga was exactly the pick me up Indy needed after the overdark Temple of Doom. I like Indy 2, but seeing people get their hearts literally ripped out is a bit too much of a personal bummer from the recently dumped Spielberg and Lucas. Last Crusade has a lot more adventure and a much bigger scope to pair with the banter between Indy and Poppa Jones. The camp does reach a breaking point when Indy gets his father's journal signed by the Fuhrer himself, but we'll let that one slide. :P

I'm now ahead of schedule and should be able to finish by Monday night unless an unexpected engagement pulls me away. Or it could end even sooner if I go crazy over the next few days and do nothing else.

Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:43 am
now we know

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
What would be a shocking choice, algren? Like The Wedding Planner?

Something that isn't generally liked by most people. There aren't even any foreign movies (and if there are, they are the only foreign movies that are adored Internetsters) or non-theatrically released movies in your list.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:48 am
Profile WWW
now we know

I don't want to see dozens of people just list the same films but in different orders.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:49 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Your writeup for Annie Hall is overflowing with enthusiasm. ;)

Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:49 am
now we know

Annie Hall's a darn good movie. But it features no where near my Top 100.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:51 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

I love it, but it is not on my list. Two other Woody Allen films are, though.

Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:53 am
The Kramer

Well you'll probably remain disappointed algren. There will be some more unique choices (I think anyways), but also a lot of KJ favorites. Sites like KJ are where I get my movie recommendations from after all, and I greatly value films that I've watched many times. There were a couple more foreign movies (mostly Japanese) in the close calls, but they'd still probably fall under your category of internet popular.

And it had to be said David.

Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:59 am
now we know

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
Well you'll probably remain disappointed algren. There will be some more unique choices (I think anyways), but also a lot of KJ favorites. Sites like KJ are where I get my movie recommendations from after all, and I greatly value films that I've watched many times. There were a couple more foreign movies (mostly Japanese) in the close calls, but they'd still probably fall under your category of internet popular.

And it had to be said David.

Yeah, and fair enough. If you've only seen the movies that I would consider popular, then that's not your fault for choosing them in your Top 100. But I imagine there are many on WOKJ that have seen many more movies and still choose the same ones because they are known to be popular.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:05 am
Profile WWW
The Kramer

True enough, even if its subconsciously. My list was never going to have prestige, so I didn't really have to worry about what other people like. Honestly I've probably seen a thousand movies popular and not that I barely remember. These are the best ones that kept me thinking about them after the next two movies.

Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:19 am
now we know

David wrote:
I love it, but it is not on my list. Two other Woody Allen films are, though.

I think one Woody Allen movie is in my Top 100. But I may have relegated it to the Top 150.

Hey Flava'd, why not put the name of the lister in the title?

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:24 am
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

Algren wrote:
Just to let you all know, when I go (after Thegun), I will be listing mine at a rate of five titles per post every 10 minutes or so, so mine will be over very quickly. I will not drag it out too long like Flava'd.

It's very hard to keep track of the matches when I have to re-check other pages. I can't be assed to do this.

You should space it out more man. It leads to better discussion commenting on 10 movies a day as opposed to 100.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:28 am
now we know

Thegun wrote:
Algren wrote:
Just to let you all know, when I go (after Thegun), I will be listing mine at a rate of five titles per post every 10 minutes or so, so mine will be over very quickly. I will not drag it out too long like Flava'd.

It's very hard to keep track of the matches when I have to re-check other pages. I can't be assed to do this.

You should space it out more man. It leads to better discussion commenting on 10 movies a day as opposed to 100.

Yes, that is true, but I don't expect much discussion. I'd rather the ridiculing and laughing (at my expense) be as short as possible, so my list (which will feature my Top 150) will be done in one day.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:30 am
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Post Re: Return of the All-Time Top 100 Movie List Thread (Flava'
48. Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy (2004)

Thinking bout you is working up my appetite looking forward to a little afternoon delight. If watching Anchorman was as enjoyable that would be an even more fitting them song. This is still Steve Carrell's best character. "I don't know what we're yelling about! Loud noises!" and his role in the brawl are the things we remember even as he's playing a normal down-on-his-luck dad looking for love. Rudd, Koechner and even Applegate also deliver their career best, to compliment the rising star of Will Ferrell and make the team immortal.

47. Sunshine (2007)

Three things you can expect from a Danny Boyle movie; a killer soundtrack, gripping imagery and a crazy third act. And Sunshine delivers on these three better than any other. Watching those deadly rays engulf the helpless Captain Kaneda, along to John Murphy and Underworld's signature them is one of the most powerful scenes of any on this list. I'm used to sci-fi and action pics attempting to assault my senses, but rarely is it so pleasant for me and dreadful for the characters on screen. Also, Rose Byrne, I love you! This and 28 Weeks Later (sadly a close call) were a killer combo for her in 2007.

46. The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly (1966)

Speaking of movies with a really great score and wonderful images to put with them... The whole trilogy deserves to be recognized, but the huge scope and Tuconess of GBU places it above Fistful and For A Few Dollars More. I think my favorite part comes when Blondie and Tuco are thrust into the Civil War. They are asked to blow up a bridge, so the union and confederate armies no longer have anything to fight over in the area. Sure they are doing it for themselves just as much, to faster reach their goal before Angel Eyes does. Yet you can see it in their eyes and demeanor that for once in their lives, they know they are doing something right.

45. Ghostbusters (1984)

"Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling! Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanos ... The dead rising from the grave! Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together ... mass hysteria!" And that doesn't even take into account the 100-foot marshmallow man.

Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:32 pm
The Kramer

44. The Abyss (1989)

What could have easily been Alien in the water turned out to be an engrossing epic where the aliens are rarely the immediate problem. Cam is best known for his human moments inserted in between pieces of action spectacle. The Abysses doesn't really have much spectacle though. We do have constant rising tension though. These people have nowhere to go, surrounded by potential enemies, and some don't take to their situation too kindly. JC favorite Michael Biehn goes all kinds of crazy and tries to start WW3, while almost accidentally causing Galaxy War 1. After playing the good guy in Terminator and Aliens, seeing Biehn's crazy eyes was very jarring. Just as jarring as the monster tidal waves that got cut out of the original release.

43. Wall-E (2008)

My absolute favorite film from Pixar, who have a lot of great ones. Despite the unsettling fate of Earth, Wall-E's first act is beautiful. Wall-E is programmed to be the janitor of Earth, but the finds increasingly unsatisfying and lonely, which I'm guessing he was not programmed for. Why would a robot need love? We linger on these scenes for much longer than you would expect, until EVA turns up and some very awkward courting starts. The fate of the surviving humans is funny, but also rather freaky. I also love the transition scene, after Wall-E leaves planet and travels through the stars. So many beautiful images that will keep this movie forever beloved.

42. The Terminator (1984)

Welcome back, James Cameron, that didn't take long. This is also another movie thats come packed with quotable lines. The legendary "I'll be back" and "Come with me if you want to live", but my favorite is simply "Fuck you, asshole." Yes cursing is funny, but showing Arnold's cpu scroll through a number of options and then settle on "Fuck you, asshole" as the best choice shows exactly what the machines thought of human behavior. So hilarious and insightful at the same time!

Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:16 pm
Pure Phase

Sunshine is not on my list, but a few other Boyle films are. I am a big fan of his, Sunshine included, so I am glad to see it.

Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:23 pm
The Wall

I'll do one. Better start compiling.

Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:46 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

I still need to get around to watching Sunshine. I'm glad to see The Terminator and The Good The Bad and The Ugly on your list, but not so glad to see them so high. Hmm, I thought WALL-E was so-so.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:36 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 1994 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 80  Next