Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:08 am

Reply to topic  [ 710 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 29  Next
 KJ User's Bottom 50 Films: DIB2 
Extraordinary

I liked Lost Highway. It has a rather good gimmack around it and I loved the atmosphere setting of a movie. It was almost up there with Mulholland's Drive. Im not sure if the gore turned your off that movie. I guess Im a David Lynch fan

BTW, Dolce, I notice that you have Rules of Attraction on the list and was wondering if you were a Bret Easton Ellis fan and was turned off because the movie wasnt as good as the novel. I wonder how your thoughts are on American Psycho

No, excruciating boredom is what turned me off from Lost Highway :wink: I thought the envirnment wasn't tonal at all, it was impossible to actually be atmospheric in a convincing way when a guy hands you a phone, stands in front of you, and when you speak on the phone you hear his voice anyways. And in typical style, his endings are all just cop-outs about figments of the imagination. I liked Mulholland Drive alot better, but even then, the ending wa sa dissappointment.

No, I've never read an Ellis novel, so its not a faih to the literature that turned me off from this movie. Its the fact that not a single kid had a redeeming quality about their personalities (this is the first of two movies on my list for that reason) and the directors attempts to be profound with bored rich kids. Didn't work, came off as dumb, and I'd say petty, but not even, because pettiness is a convincing theme, and this movie had no convincing theme.

BacktotheFuture wrote:
OMG I forgot S.W.A.T. It's almost as bad as xXx

I like your taste better every single day BTTF. I sometimes wonder how Jackson made it big, as when you look at his list of movies, they pretty much all suck but three. He's a great actor, but damn he picks the worst movies. He'd better be thanking Tarantino right now because otherwise I don't think he'd have the good repute he does today.

Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:36 pm
I'm Batman

BacktotheFuture wrote:
OMG I forgot S.W.A.T. It's almost as bad as xXx

I like your taste better every single day BTTF. I sometimes wonder how Jackson made it big, as when you look at his list of movies, they pretty much all suck but three. He's a great actor, but damn he picks the worst movies. He'd better be thanking Tarantino right now because otherwise I don't think he'd have the good repute he does today.

I mean come on Deep Blue Sea?

Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:31 pm
now we know

S.W.A.T. is a good film. Shame on you dolce, SHAME.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:01 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Algren wrote:
CABLE GUY FUCKING RULES!!!!!

I bet dolce put it on the list just to spite you.

If I were you, I'd create an entire thread about it.

Yeh eh.....stick to being serious, because your jokes don't work.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:03 pm
Profile WWW
Speed Racer

Worst Films EVER Made:

51. Carrie
38. The Shining
33. A Nightmare on Elm Street
31. The Godfather
28. The Godfather: Part III
23. Alien
17. Star Wars: Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back
8. Star Wars: Episode VI: Return of the Jedi
5. Star Wars: Episode IV: A New Hope
1. The Exorcist

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:38 pm
Profile WWW
Kiera Knightly is my lady!

I must have missed something. Is this bad movies that cleared $50M, bad movies from the last 10 years? Because if it includes all movies I dont think any of these would be in the bottom 50, even Rocky 5, which brings vomit into my mouth just typing it.

I really dont think any of the ones in the list are truly the worst ever made how can you compare the Exorcist to Dungeons and Dragons, or Godfather with the Whole 10 yards, Baby Geniuses 3, Street Fighter, anything with Christopher Lambert...

See my bottom movies.

Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:41 pm
Profile WWW
Kiera Knightly is my lady!

I must have missed something. Is this bad movies that cleared $50M, bad movies from the last 10 years? Because if it includes all movies I dont think any of these would be in the bottom 50, even Rocky 5, which brings vomit into my mouth just typing it.

I really dont think any of the ones in the list are truly the worst ever made how can you compare the Exorcist to Dungeons and Dragons, or Godfather with the Whole 10 yards, Baby Geniuses 3, Street Fighter, anything with Christopher Lambert...

See my bottom movies.

Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:41 pm
Profile WWW
Teenage Dream

No, excruciating boredom is what turned me off from Lost Highway :wink: I thought the envirnment wasn't tonal at all, it was impossible to actually be atmospheric in a convincing way when a guy hands you a phone, stands in front of you, and when you speak on the phone you hear his voice anyways. And in typical style, his endings are all just cop-outs about figments of the imagination. I liked Mulholland Drive alot better, but even then, the ending wa sa dissappointment.

[-X

Galia, Galia, Galia....

Lost Highway would clear my top ten best films of all time list with relative ease. I think the only thing we continually disagree on is Lynch.

And no, the ending isin't a "figment of the imagination" cop-out. Bill Pullman's character does create Balthazar Getty's character, but it's an actual physical manifestation. Pullman is on death row, and wants to lead the kind of life he always wanted before he dies (hot young "stud" hooking up with older woman), so he manifests Getty's character to do it. When things start to go to hell with him, Pullman takes over again. In the final seconds, even though it's not shown, Pullman is caught by the police in the car chase and put into the electric chair. Oh, and Robert Blake's character is Satan whom gave him the power to shape shift in exchange for his soul which was obtained by him killing his wife (a mortal sin). Yeah, this movie fuckin' rocks. =D>

Last edited by makeshift on Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:52 pm
Sbil

dolcevita wrote:

[-X

Galia, Galia, Galia....

Lost Highway would clear my top ten best films of all time list with relative ease. I think the only thing we continually disagree one is Lynch.

And no, the ending isin't a "figment of the imagination" cop-out. Bill Pullman's character does create Balthazar Getty's character, but it's an actual physical manifestation. Pullman is on death row, and wants to lead the kind of life he always wanted before he dies (hot young "stud" hooking up with older woman), so he manifests Getty's character to do it. When things start to go to hell with him, Pullman takes over again. In the final seconds, even though it's not shown, Pullman is caught by the police in the car chase and put into the electric chair. Oh, and Robert Blake's character is Satan whom gave him the power to shape shift in exchange for his soul which was obtained by him killing his wife (a mortal sin). Yeah, this movie fuckin' rocks. =D>

Er, I hated it too.

Sorry, heh. :razz:

Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:55 pm
Teenage Dream

makeshift wrote:
dolcevita wrote:

[-X

Galia, Galia, Galia....

Lost Highway would clear my top ten best films of all time list with relative ease. I think the only thing we continually disagree one is Lynch.

Er, I hated it too.

Sorry, heh. :razz:

You both soooo crazy. =;

Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:57 pm
now we know

Quote:
Worst Films EVER Made:

51. Carrie
38. The Shining
31. The Godfather
23. Alien
1. The Exorcist

I could so use the "opinion: noun" speech. But i can't be bothered to find it.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:29 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Gambit wrote:
Quote:
Worst Films EVER Made:

51. Carrie
38. The Shining
31. The Godfather
23. Alien
1. The Exorcist

I could so use the "opinion: noun" speech. But i can't be bothered to find it.

why is everyone ripping me off? :razz:

Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:01 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

19. Miradas (2001)

18. The Joy Luck Club (1993)

17. Maid in Manhattan (2002)

16. Nostalghia (1983)

15. Happy Together (1997)

14. Animal Farm (1999)

13. A Civil Action (1998)

12. Swordfish (2001)

11. Curly Sue (1991)

10. The Island of Dr. Moreau (1996)

Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:33 am
Teh Mexican

good, the only one i kinda dissagree is Swordfish, yes it was bad, but also fun! :smile:

Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:36 am
Where will you be?

God I can't agree enough with The Isle of Doctor Moreau, though I thought SWAT was semi-decent, albeit nothing great or even particularly good. It didn't insult my intelligence (aside from the plane bit) and some of the acting was solid. I also liked The Rules of Attraction, but it's a certain taste so I can completely understand your loathing of it.

Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:55 am
Extraordinary

God I can't agree enough with The Isle of Doctor Moreau, though I thought SWAT was semi-decent, albeit nothing great or even particularly good. It didn't insult my intelligence (aside from the plane bit) and some of the acting was solid. I also liked The Rules of Attraction, but it's a certain taste so I can completely understand your loathing of it.

I just remember being psyched *spoilers* when the animals finally just attack him at the end *end spoilers* good riddance, put an end to that now didn't it. It was painful to sit through. One of the problems with swat for me was actually the lack of any tension, and the fact that with all those professional firing squads its not like someone even got shot. very little blood, very little intrigue. Everyone I know liked Rules, which is why they convinced me to see it, but I just couldn't get into it. It was so over-the-top on the negative part that i couldn't even take it as cynicism, because it took itself too seriously, it was odd for me, because everyone else found it very insightful. I just sat there and said, wow, I have never met someone like any one of these people, and if i did, i'd probably tell them to stop self-indulgently moping or something.

Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:13 am
Where will you be?

MovieDude wrote:

I just remember being psyched *spoilers* when the animals finally just attack him at the end *end spoilers* good riddance, put an end to that now didn't it. It was painful to sit through. One of the problems with swat for me was actually the lack of any tension, and the fact that with all those professional firing squads its not like someone even got shot. very little blood, very little intrigue. Everyone I know liked Rules, which is why they convinced me to see it, but I just couldn't get into it. It was so over-the-top on the negative part that i couldn't even take it as cynicism, because it took itself too seriously, it was odd for me, because everyone else found it very insightful. I just sat there and said, wow, I have never met someone like any one of these people, and if i did, i'd probably tell them to stop self-indulgently moping or something.

Yeah, I can definitely hear where you're coming from. Personally, I don't think it's insightful, but I got the impression that it was supposed to be a sort of symbolization for how many people feel with characters that were slightly overdone, but I can completely understand your point of view. With SWAT, the first hour was pretty tension free admittedly, but it felt more realistically done and some of the scenes with people trying to free that one guy were very suspenseful for me, just not anything special. I don't really like it, and if I hadn't been in a good mood I might have not liked it, but it just felt like a very ordinary movie to me with a few decent performances. It's hard to deny that LL Cool J is filled with charisma.

Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:40 am
We had our time together

What was so bad about Civil Action and SWAT?

Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:52 am
Profile WWW
I'm Batman

S.W.A.T. was just too unbelievable, long, and uneventful. My dad and I laughed throughout the movie at its stupidity.

Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:54 am
Extraordinary

What was so bad about Civil Action and SWAT?

Civil Action = If I have to look at one more close up of a glass of water in a mug or glass, I'm going to have to lick a salt cube to counter it. I get it, the water is bad, you could get Luekemia. I went to school in the next town over and our intro book was Civil Action. The book already felt way to drawn out, but was pretty much supposed to feel that way due to the fact Jan slowly lost all the money in which he could support the firm and battle the tanneries. But the mivue feels even more painstakingly long, and its all because of the amount of time the camera spends lingering on any image of water it can. Cups, faucet, river, rain, swimming pool, shower...anything. I'd say a disproportionately long amount of time was spent on water in comparison to like, the content of the actual negotiations.

SWAT = See BTTF's post.

Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:06 am
Teenage Dream

dolcevita wrote:

[-X

Galia, Galia, Galia....

Lost Highway would clear my top ten best films of all time list with relative ease. I think the only thing we continually disagree on is Lynch.

*cough*

:razz:

Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:14 am
Extraordinary

makeshift wrote:

[-X

Galia, Galia, Galia....

*cough*

:razz:

*Yawn* It just doesn't impress me. Lynch is neither a director of drama or horror. He doesn do a movie about phantasms, he does a movie where he used phantasms as a way of overcoming such things as holes in the storyline :razz: I just think he needs to decide if he wanted to do a movie about a man creating a substantial alternative reality (ala Peter Jackson in Heavenly Creatures) or if he wants to do some movie that really does have Satan, and shape changing abilities, and people who can be in places at multiple times (or even allude to it). here's he's just like, well, he'd done this great job creating a fictional universe that's so palatable to him it seems real, but we're not going to give the viewer any understanding of that (ala 8 1/2) we're just gonna go with it, and make the end extra kookie in order to reinform everything that came before it. I know, lets remove her image from the photograph, that'll throw people off. They'll be forced to doubt anything they've seen to the point, while we're at it, lets make weird stuff happen. But that weird stuff is real, we're just going to mix it into his fiction world. Yeah, that'll be great.

:wink:

*cough* *cough*

Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:33 am
Teenage Dream

Hehehe. Well, Lynch has always said he'd rather people form their own coherent plot line for his work then have him spell it out. He's all about getting people invested in art, whether it's emotionally, mentally, or aesthetically. Personally, I think he succeeds in all three categories everytime he makes a film. If you can say one positive thing about Lynch, it's that he makes you use your noggin'.

Also, I would classify nearly all of Lynch's work as horror. Almost all of his films involve evil being manifested and some sort of battle between good and evil in a physical form some way. He plays it straight, though, and he never tips his hat as to what or where or whom the evil may be. I've always considered most of Lynch's work to be fairly straight forward when viewed as a horror film, because horror tends to lean towards the fantastical, so it's easier to seperate fantasy from reality. For example, if you're watching Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me, and you're viewing it as a drama played straight, you'll be confused as all hell when BOB appears on screen. If, however, you're viewing it as a horror film, you'll see BOB and think, "Hey, there's Leland Palmer's evil side manifested in a physical form".

Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:55 am
now we know

The Island of Dr. Moreau is fucking bollocks. I forgot it on my list...cheers for reminding me of that shite.

Swordfish in your worst of all time? :shock: You are officially crazy.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:59 am
Profile WWW
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

Dolce, mind putting the rest of the list up? We arent rushing you but then again we gave alot of heat to Guybrush for taking so long to put his list up and although we all love you, its almost day 3 on the list :wink:

BTW I do agree that Swordfish and Civil Action are crap but there are much worse Travolta movies like Basic, Battlefield Earth and Look Whos Talking

Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 710 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 29  Next