Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 710 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 29  Next
 KJ User's Bottom 50 Films: DIB2 
Extraordinary

Hots Shots 2? When I last saw it, I thought it was nearly as funny as Rambo 3. Which is a good thing for a comedy..

Part of it was that the first one was just incredibly funny and the second one could not come up with one single joke. zReally a retread, and a drawn out one, of the first, but without even the Top Gun parody or anything. I thought the first one was brilliant though. Haven't seen Rocky 3 :-k so no comment there.

Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:29 am
Speed Racer

I must have missed something. Is this bad movies that cleared $50M, bad movies from the last 10 years? Because if it includes all movies I dont think any of these would be in the bottom 50, even Rocky 5, which brings vomit into my mouth just typing it.

I really dont think any of the ones in the list are truly the worst ever made how can you compare the Exorcist to Dungeons and Dragons, or Godfather with the Whole 10 yards, Baby Geniuses 3, Street Fighter, anything with Christopher Lambert...

Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:55 am
Profile WWW
Christian's #1 Fan

These are personal lists of the 50 worst films ever.

Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:56 am
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

woops, sorry you guys have been waiting. didn't realize, uh, haven't made the list, but I have a pretty good idea, so I'll start, but these are in no particular order. Its impossible ot make distinctions this far down the chain of film production:

50. The Night Porter (1974)
49. At Play in the Fields of the Lord (1991)
48. Dungeons and Dragons (2000)
47. Dangerous Minds (1995)
46. City of Women (1980)
45. Vertical Ray of the Sun (2000)
44. You've Got Mail (1998)
43. There's Something About Mary (1998)
42. Agnes Browne (1999)
41. Hot Shots! Part Deux (1993)
40. Atanarjuat (The Fast Runner, 2001)

fire away :gun:

Shame on you for having Theres Something About Mary on the list and Hot Shots 2 too

Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:23 am
College Boy T

I don't agree on Mary - even if you don't find it above most gross-out comedies, you can do much much worse.

Good job on Fast Runner. It's truly boring. Ugh. ;)

Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:29 am
Extraordinary

39. Kung Pow: Enter the Fist (2002)
38. Boomerang (1992)
37. Hero (2004)
36. Umberto D. (1952)
35. Pret-a-Porter (1994)
34. Angels and Insects (1995)
33. Capturing the Friedmans (2003)
32. Matrix Reloaded (2003)
31. A Couch in New York (1996)
30. The Cable Guy (1996)

Last edited by dolcevita on Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:33 am
Extraordinary

Here's some more:

:laugh:

That film will become a classic!

Btw, Umberto D? Really? Haven't seen it, but it's usually a critics' favourite, no?

Oh, and why Friedmans?

And I don't agree with Reloaded. It's not a great film, but it's a good one.

MadGez wrote:
Briefs. Am used to them and boxers can get me in trouble it seems. Too much room and maybe the silkiness have created more than one awkward situation.

My Box-Office Blog: http://boxofficetracker.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Box on Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:35 am
Profile WWW
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

Atanarjuat gets unfair treatment from me. i tend to be overly critical of this movie for many reasons, all of them broadly theoretical and having to do with a lack of grounding in time that leads to bad contemporary stereotypes. On the other hand, I love that it was made, I hope Indigenous voice gets its own film production soon. I think Mohegan Sun has ammassed enough money and are trying to start sponsoring film makers and pull together a film festival. That'll be great. If you want me to go into my dissappointemnt with the movie further, I will no problem. :wink:

I love you dolce (in a non sexual way) but just come out with. Aatanarjuat is just three hours of fucking boring. We can wrap it up in a big PC bow and say "Oh, Inuit people get a voice! Oh it's very authentic! Yadda yadda yadda." At the end of the day, it's 3 hours, and it's really fucking boring.

;)

Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:35 am
Profile WWW

Here's some more:

38. Boomerang (1992)
37. Hero (2004)
36. Umberto D. (1952)
35. Pret-a-Porter (1994)
34. Angels and Insects (1995)
33. Capturing the Friedmans (2003)
32. Matrix Reloaded (2003)
31. A Couch in New York (1996)
30. The Cable Guy (1996)

Kung Pow! Dang it, thats a classic movie! and you lady have no sense of humor :wink:
I gave Hero an A, I still dont know where the hate is coming from. Matrix Reloaded wasnt too bad either. Boomerang was ok but not deserving of botton 50

Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:39 am
Extraordinary

Btw, Umberto D? Really? Haven't seen it, but it's usually a critics' favourite, no?

Oish. Hit me over the head with a brick. All the old man does is walk around town, overly miserable, crushed with his little dog. Clearly everything goes wrong, the world sucks, and he is so poor by the end of the day that he feels he can't support the puppy. So he leaves it on the railroad tracks when a train is coming, but right before the train comes he can't bring himself to do it. Lots of tears, lots of shots of a decrepid old guy in a horrible world. No one cares. He's poor, yadda yadda yadda. The least insightful and most boring of all de Sica films, anyone critic who likes it should best turn there heads to any one of the following,

The Garden of the Finzi-Continis
Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow
Two Women
Miracle in Milan
The Bicycle Thief
The Children are Watching Us (though that one is mediocre)

Quote:
Oh, and why Friedmans?

It lacked one ounce of respect for the situation actually. I don't care what the director said, it was like he was parading around the circus freaks for us. It didn't help that the editting made for exceptional religious stereotyping, and there was some intense and blatant manipulation going on. Remember the scene that shows computer image of a hand jerking off a penis? Remember how *old* that computer and the game looked. That was a recreation (clearly that computer does not exist today) that he did to make look intentionally authentic for shock value. i remember everyone in the audiance gasping and I just thought to myself "For real, you think the 1980 computers are still sitting in the basement or something?" If he wanted to show it, he should have done a contemporary image and said he theorized this is what it would have looked like then on a less technologically advanced screne, etc. He also bather some people in darkness, etc, and had some pretty manipulative music whenever they interviewed the guy who said he was hypnotized into remembering things (that didn't happen). I just thought the whole thing lacked integrity and ethics.

Last edited by dolcevita on Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:41 am
Extraordinary

dolcevita wrote:
Atanarjuat gets unfair treatment from me. i tend to be overly critical of this movie for many reasons, all of them broadly theoretical and having to do with a lack of grounding in time that leads to bad contemporary stereotypes. On the other hand, I love that it was made, I hope Indigenous voice gets its own film production soon. I think Mohegan Sun has ammassed enough money and are trying to start sponsoring film makers and pull together a film festival. That'll be great. If you want me to go into my dissappointemnt with the movie further, I will no problem. :wink:

I love you dolce (in a non sexual way) but just come out with. Aatanarjuat is just three hours of fucking boring. We can wrap it up in a big PC bow and say "Oh, Inuit people get a voice! Oh it's very authentic! Yadda yadda yadda." At the end of the day, it's 3 hours, and it's really fucking boring.

;)

oh look! how'd that thread get there? :wink:

El_masked_esteROIDe_user wrote:
Kung Pow! Dang it, thats a classic movie! and you lady have no sense of humor :wink:
I gave Hero an A, I still dont know where the hate is coming from. Matrix Reloaded wasnt too bad either. Boomerang was ok but not deserving of botton 50

Kung Pow = Parody can only go so far without coming up with something either mildly new, or at lest scathing commentary. Ugh. Hero = Hey kids, now remember, the government is perfectly ok in having a couple genocides on its plate if its in the name of nationalism. Sudan, they're good to go, Rwanda, go right ahead. Hey Yimou said it was the honorable thing to do. Plus its boring, and I found the cinematography (unlike everyone else) totally hokey and kitchy. Reloaded was just boring terrible, and if you're going to copy a book word for word without having a basic understanding of it, please don't pick the most well known story in the western world. that way, less people might not catch such silly things as the key keeper being the keys given on the rock to st. Peter for the Gates of Heaven. And the ten minute *tribal* mtv scene hurt my eyes. i wanted to rip them out of my head i was in such agony.

:grin:

Last edited by dolcevita on Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:54 am
Teh Mexican

BRAVO Dolce, im glad you hate Kung Pow too, its on my list too, i think its a complete waste of time! and pure trash!

Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:56 am
Killing With Kindness

can i be moved to being the last person, i still dont have my list ready :oops:

Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:38 am
Profile WWW
Where will you be?

Good job dolce, you're probably the only other person on the forum who hates Hero as much as I do. :)

Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:17 am
Extraordinary

Dolce, you can't place Kung Pow higher on your list than Hero, Capturing the Friedmans, Gangs of New York, or even Matrix Reloaded for that matter although I gave it a C grade. Kung Pow is a completely crap and can't earn a grade higher than a D, while even though those films have flaws, their production values are at least way better. You could have higher standard for them because the talents behind/around them or the budgets or whatever and be more strict, but look at them side by side objectively, I don't see how Kung Pow can be considered a better film.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:51 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Dolce, you can't place Kung Pow higher on your list than Hero, Capturing the Friedmans, Gangs of New York, or even Matrix Reloaded for that matter although I gave it a C grade. Kung Pow is a completely crap and can't earn a grade higher than a D, while even though those films have flaws, their production values are at least way better. You could have higher standard for them because the talents behind/around them or the budgets or whatever and be more strict, but look at them side by side objectively, I don't see how Kung Pow can be considered a better film.

I know. I don't do my list as others do, from least painful to most painful, I just do the random 50 worst. Though they have numbers, its more just to count them off in batches of ten, they're in no particular order. AND DEAR LORD! Gangs of New York would never be on this list, its actually one of my favorite movies. :wink:

Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:55 am
Extraordinary

xiayun wrote:

I know. I don't do my list as others do, from least painful to most painful, I just do the random 50 worst. Though they have numbers, its more just to count them off in batches of ten, they're in no particular order. AND DEAR LORD! Gangs of New York would never be on this list, its actually one of my favorite movies. :wink:

:oops: I don't remember having any drink today. My eyes are playing tricks on me. #-o

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:00 am
Profile WWW
Where will you be?

I'd argue that while Kung Pow had much worse production values and acting then Hero, it was far less pretensious and didn't try to be and more then it was, and had occasionally somewhat funny moments.

Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:24 am
Indiana Jones IV

GuybrushX McMurphy wrote:
Hots Shots 2? When I last saw it, I thought it was nearly as funny as Rambo 3. Which is a good thing for a comedy..

Part of it was that the first one was just incredibly funny and the second one could not come up with one single joke. zReally a retread, and a drawn out one, of the first, but without even the Top Gun parody or anything. I thought the first one was brilliant though. Haven't seen Rocky 3 :-k so no comment there.

ZAZ could be quite irregular and the laugh ratio varies for me fom one movie to the other... but all their films have funny bits. I mean, a movie in which Lloyd Bridges plays the president of the US and says, just before the final climatic fight with Sadam Hussein: "We'll do this the old navy way. First one to die... loses!" :razz: can´t be that bad...

I mean, It´s not a classic like "Jane Austen´s Mafia" :wink: but not one of the worst either... just a matter of opinion, of course.

What Mixed Drink Are You?

http://www.blogthings.com/whatmixeddrinkareyouquiz/

Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:27 am
Profile WWW
We had our time together

Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:34 am
Profile WWW
now we know

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:05 am
Profile WWW
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

CABLE GUY FUCKING RULES!!!!!

I bet dolce put it on the list just to spite you.

If I were you, I'd create an entire thread about it.

Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:13 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Algren wrote:
CABLE GUY FUCKING RULES!!!!!

I bet dolce put it on the list just to spite you.

If I were you, I'd create an entire thread about it.

One of my old friends, it was his favorite movie. I've seen it about three times. I'm surprised I'm still alive.

Ok, another ten:

29. Begotten (1991)
28. Even Dwarfs Started Small (1970)
27. Lost Highway (1997)
26. Psycho (1996)
25. Cool World (1992)
24. The Story of O (1975)
23. El Crimen del Padre Amaro (2002)
22. Sabrina (1995)
21. The Rules of Attraction (2002)
20. S.W.A.T (2003)

Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:09 pm
I'm Batman

OMG I forgot S.W.A.T. It's almost as bad as xXx

Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:19 pm

I liked Lost Highway. It has a rather good gimmack around it and I loved the atmosphere setting of a movie. It was almost up there with Mulholland's Drive. Im not sure if the gore turned your off that movie. I guess Im a David Lynch fan

BTW, Dolce, I notice that you have Rules of Attraction on the list and was wondering if you were a Bret Easton Ellis fan and was turned off because the movie wasnt as good as the novel. I wonder how your thoughts are on American Psycho

Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 710 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 29  Next