Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Best Christmas Movie! 

Best Christmas Movie
Poll ended at Sat Jan 08, 2005 2:32 pm
A Christmas Story 35%  35%  [ 9 ]
It's a Wonderful Life 19%  19%  [ 5 ]
Miracle on 34th St 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
Home Alone 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Christmas Vacation 12%  12%  [ 3 ]
White Christmas 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
A Christmas Carol 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
The Santa Clause 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Elf 15%  15%  [ 4 ]
How the Grinch stole christmas 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 26

Best Christmas Movie! 
We had our time together

Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:34 am
Profile WWW
Angels & Demons

I vote for It's A Wonderful Life with A Christmas Story a close second.

"You'll shoot your eye out!"

No representation is made opinions expressed are better than others. MSRP. WAC. Limited Time. Some Restrictions Apply. All Rights Reserved. Not FDA approved. Results not typical. Close cover before striking. Mileage may vary. Void where prohibited.

Mon Dec 27, 2004 10:08 am
Profile WWW
Vagina Qwertyuiop

I'm sorry, but I've been trying to avoid asking this question for a while now but I just gotta know... what the hell is A Christmas Story??!!

At first I just thought it was an obscure Christmas film that Boyfresh loved as a kid. Now, what with you all quoting and voting for it, I'm getting increasingly baffled and rage-filled! I even looked it up on the IMDB, and still don't have a clue what the hell it is (although I noticed the main kid in it went on to star in The Dirt Bike Kid, which was one of my fave films as a younger, more attractive Snrub)!

I'm beginning to think someone might have deleted the film's existence from my memory, a la Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind...

... I smell a conspiracy!!

Mon Dec 27, 2004 4:41 pm
All Star Poster

The Family Man, I loved. :D

:) same here

Mon Dec 27, 2004 4:56 pm
Profile WWW
Angels & Demons

A Christmas Story (1983) is the satirical tale of an angst-ridden adolescent fervently hoping for a BB gun for a Christmas present. The tale is told in a nostalgically-narrated "When I Was Kid" format, said narrator given to sardonic whimsy and comical exaggeration. Wonderfully acted by Peter Billingsley (he of the Quick commercials) with strong supporting work by Darren McGavin (Night Shadows) and Melinda Dillon (Close Encounters of the Third Kind) as his parents. While perfectly capturing the "time is perception" theme of a child's interminable wait for Christmas morning, Bob Clark manages to turn this Jean Shepherd script of a novel by the same author into a time capsule of popular Midwestern culture set in the early 40's, but before World War II, as the nation emerged from the doldrums of the Great Depression with a sense of the prosperity to come. Cinematography is shot from a child's perspective, colors are often exaggerated, camera angles tend to come from a position approximately four-feet above horizontal (i.e. adults all seem huge). An immensely funny film summed up by the Chinese Restaurant workers/would-be-carolers rendition of "Deck the Halls" which goes something like...
Deck the ralls with boughs of Rorry
Fah rah, rah, rah
Rah, rah, rah

No representation is made opinions expressed are better than others. MSRP. WAC. Limited Time. Some Restrictions Apply. All Rights Reserved. Not FDA approved. Results not typical. Close cover before striking. Mileage may vary. Void where prohibited.

Mon Dec 27, 2004 5:02 pm
Profile WWW
Draughty

OF those on the list, It's a Wonderful Life.

Though I'd be tempted to choose Scrooged if that was an option.

Also, while not one of my top few, there's a little seen British TV movie set at Christmas called "Bernard and the Genie" that is really nice, I recommend you guys check it out if possible.

Mon Dec 27, 2004 5:16 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Post The Polar Express: Welcome to Bizzarro Land!
The Polar Express is the most bizarre 99 minutes of family entertainment I have ever been witness to! The dark gleaming dream vision of a child losing his belief in Santa.

The story itself, from the kid's book, is 24 short pages so you can imagine how they've stretched it out to feature length - Tom Hanks mugging it up as 6 different characters, seemingly endless, pointless train hijinks, and some of the scariest animated human characters ever. I swear that if they used these creepy looking kids in a horror movie it would terrify me! And that's not even mentioning the literally thousands of evil elves that inhabit the North Pole (when they finally get there...).

Luckily, we saw it in IMAX 3D, which is spectacular and makes all the train foolishness look awesome visually at least. I pity the poor fools who see this in a standard 35mm print or worse yet, those who later buy this on DVD.

2 out of 5.

Sat Jan 01, 2005 1:34 am
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2