Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:54 am

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
 The Best of the 1970's 
Hot Fuss

Post The Best of the 1970's
Many posters here seem to agree that the 1970s yielded some great films. But, there are many others here who have yet to experience what many refer to as "The Best of The 70s". As a movie lover, I have yet to really see all of what are referred to as the classics, especially those of the 70s. So, as a service to myself and others who aren't quite familar with the 70s, I was wondering what you think are the best films of the 70's decade. (Dolce, please suggest something somewhat mainstream atleast :P :wink: )

So, like I asked previously, what do you think are the best films of the 70s?

Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:26 pm
Profile YIM WWW
College Boy T

The two godfather movies, the sting, chinatown, a clockwork orange, one flew over the cukoo's nest, alien, and taxi driver.

Last edited by torrino on Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:26 pm
College Boy Z

Ummm .. uh .. well you see .. :oops: :wink:

The Godfather
The Godfather Part II
Alien

That's all I can recall at the moment.

Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:28 pm
La Bella Vito

The Godfather
The Godfather: Part 2
Star Wars
One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest
Alien
Jaws
Young Frankenstein
Little Big Man
Taxi Driver
Apocalypse Now
Halloween

Those would be some of my picks.

Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:30 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

Rocky
Superman
Alien
Grease
Godfather
The Omen
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Taxi Driver
The Sting
Star Wars
Deliverance (and squeeeeelll like a Pig *plays duelling banjos*)
Enter the Dragon
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (Rain drops keep falling off my head)
Apocalypse Now
Saturday Night Fever

All of them are A's

Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:34 pm
Hot Fuss

The Godfather (s)
Star Wars
Alien
Jaws
Dog Day Afternoon

blah blah

I have seen the VERY mainstream ones, but I was more interested in other ones. Thanks, Ross. I have seen most of em, but the ones you put are now on my to rent list.

Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:35 pm
Profile YIM WWW
College Boy Z

Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:39 pm
La Bella Vito

How could anyone not like Star Wars? I thought the original saga was so amazing, and the special effects were phenomenal for their time. I just thought they were so entertaining, and I liked them a lot.

Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:45 pm
Profile YIM WWW
The Greatest Avenger EVER

There were lots of great films like....

The Godfather
The Godfather: Part 2
Star Wars
One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest
Alien
Jaws
Young Frankenstein
Little Big Man
Taxi Driver
Apocalypse Now
Halloween

Those would be some of my picks.

This is another great list of classic films from the 70's and sucks when Hollywood tries to remake these films at some point just to appeal to a new generation and try to make them more hip and cool.. God help us if Hollywood tries to remake a 5 Star Classic like JAWS cause I can only hope that Spielberg steps forward and puts his foot down on this..

This kills TDKR At the box office next summer.. Get used to this

Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:46 pm
Profile WWW
George A. Romero

Godfather II
A Clockwork Orange
Star Wars
Blazing Saddles
Dawn of the Dead
Halloween
Alien
Zombie
One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest
Taxi Driver
Rocky
Rocky II

That's all i can think of for now

Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:25 am
Draughty

The Sting
Dog Day Afternoon
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Monty Python's Life of Brian
Young Frankenstein
The Man Who Would be King
Three Days of the Condor
Jaws
Alien

Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:28 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Easy question with an easy answer

Yep, IMO, the strongest stretch in film American film history is around the mid-70's

anyways, here's a bunch I like. I bolded my absolute favorites.

The French Connection
Cabaret

Deliverance
Paper Moon
Day of the Jackal
The Sting
Chinatown
Murder on the Orient Express

The Stepford Wives
Jaws
Three Days of the Condor
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Staw Wars
Network
All the President's Men
Annie Hall
Alien
The Conversation
Harold and Maude
Nashville

Oops, I highlighted almost all of them..hehe. Thats how good the 70's just were I guess. And this isn't even including most Kubrick, Coppola and Scorsese and the imports. BTW there are some excellent foreign ones too that very well received here also.

Last edited by dolcevita on Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:42 am
Hot Fuss

I would be interested in some of the Imports, now that I have a firm idea on what everyone seems to feel are 'the best'.

Actually, like we were discussing earlier, I want to see the French Original "Birdcage" that was imported.... "La Cage aux Folles"

Also, I really need to study up on my Scorsese and even Kubrick. I haven't seen any of their films from the 70s for the most part. Some, I caught, but most.... It seems I just have been totally deprived of everything 70s. I got the late 60s and eary 80s down, though....

Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:47 am
Profile YIM WWW
Forum General

Location: TOP*SECRET ******************** ******************** ******************** ********************
Here are some 70's movies. Some have been said already.

Also, anyone interested in 70's and pre 70's movies, check out my classic movies thread.

- French Connection 1 & 2
- The Conversation
- King Kong
- The Godfather 1 & 2
- Star Wars
- One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
- Apocalypse Now
- Chinatown
- Taxi Driver
- Monty Python and the Holy Grail
- The Sting
- Alien
- Annie Hall
- A Clockwork Orange
- Jaws
- Manhattan
- The Deer Hunter
- Young Frankenstein
- All the President's Men
- Life of Brian
- Network
- Dog Day Afternoon
- Being There
- The Exorcist
- The Man Who Would Be King
- MASH
- Papillon
- Close Encounters of the Third Kind
- Rocky

COVER YOUR EYES
HIDE YOUR WOMEN & CHILDREN
HIT THE IGNORE BUTTON
BUT REMEMBER*****GOLDIE*****ALWAYS KNOWS THE RIGHT/BETTER ANSWER
THIS HAS BEEN A PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT BROUGHT TO YOU BY GOLDIE

Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:50 am
Profile WWW
Hot Fuss

Thanks Goldie, I will check out your Classics Thread

Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:54 am
Profile YIM WWW
Extraordinary

Thank you Thank you.

I would be interested in some of the Imports, now that I have a firm idea on what everyone seems to feel are 'the best'.

Actually, like we were discussing earlier, I want to see the French Original "Birdcage" that was imported.... "La Cage aux Folles"

Also, I really need to study up on my Scorsese and even Kubrick. I haven't seen any of their films from the 70s for the most part. Some, I caught, but most.... It seems I just have been totally deprived of everything 70s. I got the late 60s and eary 80s down, though....

Well, tons of imports but I'll only drop one for risk of being banished back to the foreign section.

Check out Lina Wertmullers "Seven Beauties" (Italian titled Pasqualino Settebellezze/ 1976) For many reasons.

1. The montage and voiceover during the opening should be in every film 101 class for how to do one perfectly. Scathing criticism of facism and WWII.

2. The SS Officer's monologue on why they will ultimately fail while Pasqualino will live. Very upsetting but touching move on Wertmuller's part.

3. http://www.worldofkj.com/Dolcevita-SevenBeau.php (heh. I did an official review for it already)

But I should prepare you the movie is very uncomfortable. I was almost completely turned off the first time I saw it and realized that later on I found myself thinking about it more and more and more until finally a few years later I went back and rewatched it. Realized how much I missed because of my initial response to how unsympathetic (and pathetic) Pasqualino is, and the concept of dealing with trying to get it on with a female SS officer. When I got over that I realized there was much more of a point to it (hint: pay close attention to my second point. The monolgue about desire to live reframes the entire movie in terms of equating virility to survival). Really a great movie if you prepare yourself for it, and on my top 100 as you know.

Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:59 am
Hot Fuss

*takes notes*

Seriously, I am.

I doubt my video store will have that one. (See my rant somewhere in the Indies section...).

Even still, I thoroughly plan on seeing it some day. Thank you for the suggestion. Having gotten a taste of your favorite choices, from what little I can relate, you always choose films worthwhile (GASP! How unreal is that)

Anyway. Thanks again mi dolce.

Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:04 am
Profile YIM WWW
Extraordinary

Also, if it very well might if it has an Italian film section at all? Maybe even a mixed foreign one? She was nominated for an Oscar for best director and giancarlo giannini was nominated for best lead actor, so it might quite an impact over here (moreso than it did in Italy actually, were Wertuller always had lukewarm reception). Anyways that one of only three women for best director noms ever, and the predating Campion by decades. The fact that she was also foreign (how many directors nobs go to foreigners now. I forget hat Almodovar won for two years back, but I think it was screenplay, so I don't even know if he got a nom). Oops, i'm blabbing.

Oh yeah, and Goldie mentioned Clsoe encounters and being there which are both excellent too.

The first time I saw Close encounters was in 1999 and I was at work that night. It was pretty slow and we put it in the player and I ended up getting so into it that I just sat on the counter and watched it from front to back while my co-worker had to help everyone. :lol: People would have thought I was rude but since it was a local place and a knew almost everyone they thought it was funny and sat around cracking jokes about my bad service. But the catch is everyone that stuck around for even five minutes joking ended up standing around and watching it too because they hadn't seen it in so long and actually got very into the story. Very Good.

Last edited by dolcevita on Tue Dec 21, 2004 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:29 am
Award Winning Bastard

The 1970's had some great films, this is true. This was just a great period for movies, as so many genres improved significantly. Sci Fi improved the most significantly, thanks to the genius of George Lucas and his cinematic masterpiece, Star Wars. Comedy also improved dramatically, and reached a more contemporary status, because swearing can be used to great comedic effect, and it was, and it raised the level of the game in that genre. Comedy exploded in the 80's as a result of the 70's. Action movies weren't exploited as much, because you could get the same thing from an episode of Baretta. The fight scenes became a much better choreographed tool in the 80's, with Arnold and Sly.

A young group of new filmmakers, the kind that had never been seen, also emerged. Steven Spielberg, George Lucas, Martin Scorcese, Brian De Palma, Francis Ford Coppola, Ridley Scott, Clint Eastwood, and the list goes on. Some examples of my favorite ones.

Drama
The Outlaw Josey Wales
The Godfather
Rocky
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

Horror
Jaws
Salem's Lot
Halloween

Sci-Fi/Fantasy
Star Wars
Superman
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Alien

Comedy
Young Frankenstein
Smokey and the Bandit
Silver Streak
Every Which Way But Loose
Used Cars

Action
Dirty Harry
Live and Let Die
The Spy Who Loved Me

I'd name Butch and Sundance, but I thought that was 1969.

Tue Dec 21, 2004 2:56 am
Hot Fuss

Very Unreal. Psht.

Also, if it very well might if it has an Italian film section at all? Maybe even a mixed foreign one? She was nominated for an Oscar for best director and giancarlo giannini was nominated for best lead actor, so it might quite an impact over here (moreso than it did in Italy actually, were Wertuller always had lukewarm reception). Anyways that one of only three women for best director noms ever, and the predating Campion by decades. The fact that she was also foreign (how many directors nobs go to foreigners now. I forget hat Almodovar won for two years back, but I think it was screenplay, so I don't even know if he got a nom). Oops, i'm blabbing.

Oh yeah, and Goldie mentioned Clsoe encounters and being there which are both excellent too.

The first time I saw Close encounters was in 1999 and I was at work that night. It was pretty slow and we put it in the player and I ended up getting so into it that I just sat on the counter and watched it from front to back while my co-worker had to help everyone. :lol: People would have thought I was rude but since it was a local place and a knew almost everyone they thought it was funny and sat around cracking jokes about my bad service. But the catch is everyone that stuck around for even five minutes joking ended up standing around and watching it too because they hadn't seen it in so long and actually got very into the story. Very Good.

No. Not a single foreign film. We are talking, like.... the size of my living room. Not that big. Maybe 20x15? They have blockbusters from recent years, but hardly anything in the 70s. I will check, but unfortunately we haven't got something decent yet. (You would think there would be a better selection of indies and stuff, there are atleast 50-60 million dollar houses. There HAS to be someone sophisticated in the town!)

But, no. lol. Close Encounters was very good, from what I remember. It's been so long! I need to pickup that recent cut Speilberg put out.

Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:27 am
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]