Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Brief Incredibles Discussion 
Extraordinary

Post Brief Incredibles Discussion
Just a few thoughts I wanted to share:

Argh, I can't begin to tell you how much I liked this film!!!!

Man, was it great!

Some of my favourite scenes/quotes (off the top of my head, apologies if quotes aren't exact):

-"They keep finding new ways to celebrate mediocrity"--> wonderful

-Bob in his office, and then car; who out there can't identify with that??!!

-Bob: "I'm not strong enough", Helen: "If we work together, you don't need to be" --> What an amazing response. Compare this to other films were the answer is "oh honey, that's nonsense". Wonderful response.

-Helen's talk with the two kids on the island at night; superb vocal talent, they could not have picked a better person than Hunter, just amazing.

-The baby in the background when the babysitter is talking: adorable :lol:

-Also, there was a "are we there yet" scene in both Incredibles and Shrek 2. If you want to know why The Incredibles is a better film, compare these two: In TI, only the final part of what, when looking at Bob's expression, must have seemed like a long and tiring back and forth. In Shrek 2, we are shown that damn scene from beginning to end. It's supposed to be humorous. But there's one problem: this back and forth bickering on a journey is the most exhausted cliche there is out there. It is not funny, in no way, shape or form. The Simpsons had that scene over a deacde ago, and it was barely acceptable watching that. However, by showing us the consequences of that exchange, the Incredibles gets rid off the problems arising from having a cliche like that, but preserves the connection to a common and popular running joke in tv/cinema culture.

-In general, The Incredibles as a whole is a new take of a slew of cliches. Cliches in general become cliches because 1) they are somehow true and/or 2) they're extremely popular and thus become overused. Adding a new twist to them avoids seeming redundant while at the same time tapping into whatever makes those cliches popular.

Some examples:

a) Mr. Incredible saving people's lives, and the people suing --> answers the question as to whether everyone who is saved actually wants to be saved

b) Idea of being outsiders: outsiders not because they're inferior, but because they're superior. It's preposterous, but it works. It worked with Spider-Man as well. That's why that franchise has pocketed $777m already. Why does it work? Because at one and the same time it makes you indetify because you too have felt like an outsider sometime in your life, and allows you to see what it would be like to have those awe powers or be extraordinary in some other way. It's amazing how well it works. Other examples: Harry Potter, LOTR (Frodo, an insignificant hobbit given a huge task, etc.).

c) family/domestic problems: this is obvious; Helen suspecting Bob of cheating, when he really is living out his fantasy again

d) midlife crises: again, an obvious one

e) Villains's motives: his intentions are good, but the means by which he wishes to become a hero are terrible. Compare this to the numerous films where the villain is one-dimensional.

f) The numerous references to other films; SW, Bond, etc. the film is a tribute to them, but in paying homage, it transforms whatever it borrows. The jungle scene is extremely well done.

And many others. I hope you get my point.

-There is no obvious, direct attempt at humour. The one example to the contrary I can think of was that scene with Bob lifting the car and the kid watching. I didn't like that one much. But in general, this is not a ha-ha funny film. It's sly in parts, but overall far more serious and matrue than any CGI I've seen so far. And I am thrilled to see Pixar going in that direction!

-There are two scenes which I consider the pinnacles of CGI animation so far:

1) Bob/Helen arguing (the 'mediocrity' scene): the couple is more real than in any film I've seen in a long time. But more than that, observe how the two parents react to noticing their kids witnessed/heard all of it. This is brilliant stuff, and in the case of Bob, almost painful because of its honesty.

2) The day/night sequence after Bob has been supposedly killed, from the waterfall to when he enters the building. In the night portion, not a single word is spoken for quite some time. This is a stunning moment, because here CGI attains a level of realism it has not reached before. These scenes do not work when they aren't well made. It takes a lot of effort to get animation to the point where we are not even conscious of there being no single word spoken (I only realized it afterwards). The only other film where I have seen that is Spirited Away, in one of the greatest sequences in all fo cinema, when Chihiro travels on the train across the water.

Anyways, a great film. Go watch it again! :)

MadGez wrote:
Briefs. Am used to them and boxers can get me in trouble it seems. Too much room and maybe the silkiness have created more than one awkward situation.

My Box-Office Blog: http://boxofficetracker.blogspot.com/

Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:26 am
Profile WWW
Commander and Chef

yes .. i do agree .... completely ... prolly the movie of the year ...

Mon Dec 20, 2004 4:25 pm
Profile WWW
I just lost the game

My absolute favorite quote from the movie came from Syndrome: "Because when everyone is super, no one is."

Aside from that, I agree with everything. It truly was a brilliant and inspired movie.

Mon Dec 20, 2004 4:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]