Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 The 2004 Film of the Year 
Extraordinary

I thought all the LotR movies were overrated with exception of FOTR.

They were still amazing and the best trilogy ever, better than Star Wars or Indiana Jones.

Personally ... Somethings Gotta Give.

KJ

Quote:
Yes. For me it was Mystic River due to some fantastic performances.

Ok, apparently, there ARE people who did pick other films. I'll use Mr Green now: :mrgreen:

I bet you Archangel's 2004 pick is Phantom of the Opera. :) I'll only bet 5 cents. :)

MadGez wrote:
Briefs. Am used to them and boxers can get me in trouble it seems. Too much room and maybe the silkiness have created more than one awkward situation.

My Box-Office Blog: http://boxofficetracker.blogspot.com/

Sun Dec 19, 2004 5:36 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran

jb007 wrote:
box_2005 wrote:
We disagree, that's fine. You consider Shrek 2 2004's film, and I consider The Passion to be of greater significance. Perfectly ok, there's no harm in disgareeing.

Amen to that :)

Unless of course you tell him Dante is an embarrasment to fiction writing

Joe Dante, the Movie Director was a fiction writer too. I did not know about that.

@ Box, just kidding :)

Sun Dec 19, 2004 5:37 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Killuminati510 wrote:
box_2005 wrote:
jb007 wrote:
How can it be the movie of the year?

For all its controversy and fanatical support by evangelicals, a movie about Jesus Christ was beaten by an Ogre and a man bit by a Spider.

Most Controversial Movie of the year Yes

Movie of the Year NO

Box office is only one aspect. How many articles were written on Shrek 2?

Both Shrek 2 and Sm2 were utterly forgettable. Variety even had an article on how little impact they had on culture in 2004 despite their massive grosses.

Note

I think this should be moved to the MOVIE Section. People are mistaking its intentions.

JB makes no sense, its basically like saying Finding Nemo is a better movie then Godfather because more people saw it, even though most of the people who saw Finding Nemo were in diapers.

Go check the reviews for POTC. Shrek 2 and SM 2 was better reviewed. More people watched Shrek 2 and SM2. They were better critically and financially. Neither critics nor the people picked POTC as the movie of the year. DVD sales, Shrek 2 beat it easily.

In what other way can Shrek 2 and SM 2 need to show their dominance over POTC?

Critics already had their mind made up on the movie before even watching it. Who cares about sales, like I said Finding Nemo sold more then the Godfather, doesnt make it a better movie though.

If you need to use critics & sales to prove your point then I feel sorry for you.

Last edited by Joker's Thug #3 on Sun Dec 19, 2004 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Dec 19, 2004 5:38 pm
Extraordinary

This might be a strange way of putting it, but:

Did anyone else feel Mystic River had a rich texture?

I mean, the atmosphere, etc. From the first, what, minute? it was dark and brooding and gloomy. That's a great achievement on the part of Mr. Eastwood, and the actors, of course, Robbins probably being the best performance, imo.

MadGez wrote:
Briefs. Am used to them and boxers can get me in trouble it seems. Too much room and maybe the silkiness have created more than one awkward situation.

Sun Dec 19, 2004 5:38 pm
Profile WWW
Site Owner

Mystic River was a great film, no doubt about it.

KJ

Anyone here see closer?

Sun Dec 19, 2004 5:39 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy T

Actually. As for your debate between Finding Nemo and The Godfather...

Finding Nemo isn't nearly as flawed. It flows well and never loses the audiences' attention. It's got a nice message that most people can understand, and it's very pretty to look at and listen to, with good performances from mostly everyone.

The Godfather is on my top 20, but it's a much slower film that takes its time. Also, the message of corruption takes a while to understand (but, it's enjoyable in the mean time), and because of it's "epic" state, there are tons of plot holes and questions left unanswered.

I think Finding Nemo is the better film (impeccable!), but The Godfather is the bigger achievement.

Sun Dec 19, 2004 5:41 pm
Forum General

Finding Nemo isn't nearly as flawed. It flows well and never loses the audiences' attention. It's got a nice message that most people can understand, and it's very pretty to look at and listen to, with good performances from mostly everyone.

The Godfather is on my top 20, but it's a much slower film that takes its time. Also, the message of corruption takes a while to understand (but, it's enjoyable in the mean time), and because of it's "epic" state, there are tons of plot holes and questions left unanswered.

I think Finding Nemo is the better film (impeccable!), but The Godfather is the bigger achievement.

You think a cartoon movie about a fish is better than the Godfather! :shock:

I respect your opinion though :wink:

Sun Dec 19, 2004 5:43 pm
Veteran

Critics already had their mind made up on the movie before even watching it. Who cares about sales, like I said Finding Nemo sold more then the Godfather, doesnt make it a better movie though.

If you need to use critics & sales to prove your point then I feel sorry for you.

Your reasoning is juvenile since POTC is no Godfather :) In fact not even in the same universe.

When Moviebuffs like IMDB, Critics, moviegoers have all taken Shrek 2 over POTC that is the majority opinion. If you like POTC better, good for you.

Sun Dec 19, 2004 5:47 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy T

torrino wrote:

You didn't listen. Or read it. Did you?

The Godfather's on my top 20 (if you want the frickin' truth...The Godfather is #12, while The Godfather Part II is #1...yep. numero uno). Finding Nemo isn't even in my top 150. However, as a film, I think Finding Nemo is flawless. Although I wouldn't want to watch it over, it's a wonderful product that can't disappoint and bore the viewer (or...anyone who can judge the film past the somewhat used message, even though the message alone is pulled off brilliantly and concisely). Blah.

Sun Dec 19, 2004 5:52 pm
Forum General

lovemerox wrote:
torrino wrote:

You didn't listen. Or read it. Did you?

The Godfather's on my top 20 (if you want the frickin' truth...The Godfather is #12, while The Godfather Part II is #1...yep. numero uno). Finding Nemo isn't even in my top 150. However, as a film, I think Finding Nemo is flawless. Although I wouldn't want to watch it over, it's a wonderful product that can't disappoint and bore the viewer (or...anyone who can judge the film past the somewhat used message, even though the message alone is pulled off brilliantly and concisely). Blah.

Ahhh, Apologies for reading your previous post wrong
Sorry :D

Sun Dec 19, 2004 5:53 pm
Veteran

As for the movie of the year, I have yet to see Million Dollar Baby, Sideways, Aviator, or House of Flying Daggers. After I see all those I will know.

BTW, my movie of the year as of today,

Finding Neverland

Sun Dec 19, 2004 5:53 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy T

And my movie of the year...for the past two years...is...

a tie between Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and The Motorcycle Diaries.

And, considering that makes 3 Focus Features flicks in a row (Lost in Translation last year), I better start seeing what films they have coming out next year so I can plan accordingly, hehe.

Sun Dec 19, 2004 6:07 pm
New Server, Same X

Is this for the biggest film of the year, that had a huge impact, and what-not? Or is this for our most favorite film of the year?

If the former, I would pick Passion, Fahrenheit, Collateral, and The Polar Express. If the latter, Saw, Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead or The Grudge (gotta love the horror genre).

Sun Dec 19, 2004 6:26 pm
The French Dutch Boy

At this point, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is my favourite film of the year.

PEACE, Mike ;)

Sun Dec 19, 2004 6:27 pm
Extraordinary

Mystic River was a great film, no doubt about it.

KJ

Anyone here see closer?

Ooo, see Closer, I'm interested to see what you think of it. :D I myself loved it.

Kill Bill Volume 2 is my favorite film of the year, Eternal Sunshine is SO close though.

Sun Dec 19, 2004 6:58 pm
Extraordinary

Out of all the films of this year i think that in 50 years TPOTC will be remembered the most.IMO its the best film of the year by far.

Sun Dec 19, 2004 8:01 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Out of all the films of this year i think that in 50 years TPOTC will be remembered the most.IMO its the best film of the year by far.

You mean you think its the best film..acting, direction ect....?

Sun Dec 19, 2004 8:04 pm
Extraordinary

neo_wolf wrote:

It's certainly Oscar worthy in a number of ways. I dont know how they could have pulled off better performances. Seriously, the most scrutinized piece of work, it's so easy to be picky. Mind you, some of the language was off accent-wise (you could hear Bellucci's Italian accent), but meh, small problem.

Stunning cinematography, wonderful soundtrack.

But it won't get any Oscars. Mind you, I don't use the Oscars as a good measuring rod anyways (though it is helpful in general conversation).

MadGez wrote:

Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:09 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

lovemerox wrote:
neo_wolf wrote:

It's certainly Oscar worthy in a number of ways. I dont know how they could have pulled off better performances. Seriously, the most scrutinized piece of work, it's so easy to be picky. Mind you, some of the language was off accent-wise (you could hear Bellucci's Italian accent), but meh, small problem.

Stunning cinematography, wonderful soundtrack.

But it won't get any Oscars. Mind you, I don't use the Oscars as a good measuring rod anyways (though it is helpful in general conversation).

meh...Passion was alright. I was expecting to be incredibly moved..ect. It was way overhyped in my opinion. It upset me because I thought I would like it more than I did.I also felt the gore was a bit to much, it was basically what half the movie was comprised of.

I love the camera work and score though

Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:16 pm
Extraordinary

meh...Passion was alright. I was expecting to be incredibly moved..ect. It was way overhyped in my opinion. It upset me because I thought I would like it more than I did.I also felt the gore was a bit to much, it was basically what half the movie was comprised of.

I love the camera work and score though

More than any other film I have come across, this one expects an incredible amount from its audience. That's why it's so hard for me to give it any decent grade- I can't back away from it and look at it objectively. It evaporates as soon as I do that.

Keep in mind that it's success was a huge accident; the film was made for a specific audience, not for all of America.

But everyone saw it. In New York City, for example, it ranks above ROTK on the municipal all-time chart*. It's strongest theatres were in New York City, not in the Red states.

It pulled in an audience way beyond it's capacity to accomodate. I think that, above all, is it's greatest achievement.

For credibility's sake:

NYC's Top 10 All-Time

1 TITANIC $38,421,133
2 SPIDER-MAN $29,794,001
3 STAR WARS: EP.I-PHANTOM MENACE $26,304,857
4 SPIDER-MAN 2 $26,139,904
5 SHREK 2 $25,010,090
6 THE SIXTH SENSE $22,897,000
7 THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST $21,826,514
8 JURASSIC PARK $21,622,129
9 LORD OF THE RINGS: RETURN KING $21,178,246
10 THE MATRIX RELOADED $21,058,478

MadGez wrote:

Last edited by Box on Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:21 pm
Profile WWW
Christian's #1 Fan

I actually felt that the gore was necessary, for once. I'm tired of seeing films about Jesus that are just Hollywood-ized inspirational stories, and don't show the true horrors of what occured. Truth be told, the Romans excelled at torture, they took pride in it. And I can imagine that the true event was even worse then what was shown on screen.

That being said, I do not think TPoTC was the best film of the year, nor will it win any Oscars.

I'd pick Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind myself.

Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:24 pm
Extraordinary

neo_wolf wrote:

Yep.

Sun Dec 19, 2004 11:01 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Post Re: The 2004 Film of the Year
box_2005 wrote:
Fahrenheit 9/11, for more or less the same reason as The Passion. Though, keep in mind: It made less than 1/3rd of the money, and it failed- Bush won.

How do you know that Bush wouldn't have even won by more without this film? :roll: From what I saw, Bush won by the lowest margin of any incumbent President -- not a ringing endorsement of the American public by any means.

Strange how we judge films based on whether they achieved a certain political effect or not, hm? We used to deal with whether they were good films or not.

By that standard, "Shawshank Redemption" must really suck because we still have bad prisons.

I find that alot of people who are pushing the Passion and dissing F 9/11 (or vice versa) are doing so for political/religious and not film reasons. They like the films because they agree with them, and not for whether they were well made or not, and then they convince themselves that it is well made to justify their feelings.

Mind you, I haven't seen either one, since I really don't like being preached to, even when I agree. Plus, I agree with what Eric Idle said when asked if he was going to go see "Passion": "Nah, I hate snuff movies."

Sun Dec 19, 2004 11:32 pm
Profile WWW

Ditto, the best mvoei this year for me was Before Sunset followed by Closer.

Sun Dec 19, 2004 11:37 pm
Christian's #1 Fan

Eagle wrote:

Ditto, the best mvoei this year for me was Before Sunset followed by Closer.

Yeah, most of the films were very over-rated. I haven't picked my favorite of the year yet, but currently it is Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

Sun Dec 19, 2004 11:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next