Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 bABA's Trailers of the Week (4th to 11th December) 
Commander and Chef

Post bABA's Trailers of the Week (4th to 11th December)
With KJ unavailable to make any updates, I'm just posting this in the forum for everyone to see. An all round good week for trailers me thinks.

Trailers of the week (4 – 11 December)

Wow. This was a crazy week. A number of high profile movies from next year not only debut an assortment of trailers but one sheets and other marketing material as well.

Batman Begins

http://www.batmanbegins.com

I do not understand why this is considered a trailer. It is actually shorter than the teaser and once again, only introduces us to the movie and does not provide an informal view of what one should expect. Anyway, this is a trailer not to be missed.

The trailer came coupled with limited prints of Blade: Trinity and Ocean’s Twelve. Like the last teaser, this trailer provides us with no indication that it is related to the comic franchise in the beginning at all (except to those with the keen eye for the equipment Liam Neeson (Ducard) has on during a training sequence. The first half of the trailer deals with introducing us to the making of the masked vigilante, the middle with the preparations to finally come out in to the open (painting the suit, making the batarangs) and finally, an explosive ending to the trailer characterized by split second scenes of all the mayhem the movie will bring with it.

WB does a good job of focusing on familiar traits when it comes to Batman and superheroes, placing Batman on top of rooftops, jumping around, opening up his cape and finally, an upside down shot of a scene that probably sent jitters through the fan boys.

Fans of Batman will be impressed and probably floored by this trailer. It’s everything they probably desired. The average moviegoer will be less overwhelmed but will probably enjoy the trailer in any case. WB does a good job of further distancing themselves from the earlier Batman franchise and tries to hit home the fact that it’s a complete restart.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

http://movie-list.com/trailers.php?id=c ... atefactory

Before I begin, I must warn you that I do not know what this is about. I’ve never read the book nor seen the original movie. All I know is that it’s (or was) a children’s favorite and people seem to go nuts over it.

Imagine my jaw drop when I saw this teaser. That was probably one of the weirdest things I have ever seen. One may call it funny but I was almost disturbed by it, much like I was when I first saw the teaser for Cat in the Hat. All the imagery in the teaser looks somewhat scary though colorful. I can’t say Johnny Depp plays the character right but if Willy Wonka is meant to be scary, goofy, and downright weird with a face of a mime, then I guess it is all good.

The teaser is effective to the point that it introduces the audiences to the fact that there will be a Charlie and the Chocolate factory adaptation for next year. Upon viewing the trailer, you will also notice that it has the classic Tim Burton touch to it. : )

Constantine

http://movie-list.com/trailers.php?id=constantine

Actually, Constantine saw 2 trailers this week. One was domestic and the other was international. The international trailer was a combination of the new domestic trailer and the original trailer and I thought it did a better job as a preview than the domestic one.

Constantine is an adaptation of HellBlazer, a well known comic book. The trailers do not explain very well exactly who Constantine is and what he can do but I think that’s part of the mystery. From my understanding, it’s a story about a pact made by God and the devil, to influence humans without actually interacting with them and somehow, the character of Constantine can see what is going on. Or something like that.

Like the teasers, this trailer too, contains a very Matrix feel. It deals with the unknown, and it deals with how human life itself is being played around, much like it was in the Matrix itself. The character of Rachel Weisz wants to see what Constantine experiences everyday so he ‘initiates’ her and all hell breaks lose.

It’s a great trailer to watch. It doesn’t look pretentious and if one watches closely, they might notice right at the beginning, Keanu Reeves’ trademark phrase. He really should give that up! Other than that though, I do fear that this movie might have some very bad CGI. But here’s hoping for a good story!

Be Cool

http://movie-list.com/trailers.php?id=becool

Be Cool is being marketed as a sequel to Get Shorty. According to movie-list.com, “a disenchanted Chili Palmer gives up on movies, and tries the music industry, meeting and romancing a widow of a music exec on the way.” Someone getting the feeling this sounds a lot like ‘Analyze That’? I do.

But after watching the trailer, I feel more at ease. It was very enjoyable and genuinely funny. Vince Vaughn as a wannabe hip hop gangster and Rock as a bodyguard is an instant classic in my book and I’m glad to see John Travolta in a role that might actually show some promise. Its also nice to see Travolta and Thurman back onscreen together. To be quite honest, this movie seems to have a classic cast and none of them seemed out of place in the trailer at all. Be sure to check this one out. You won’t regret it.

War of the Worlds

http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/waroftheworlds/

I was surprised to hear the teaser was out. I was almost sure that there would be no footage and just a bunch of words and graphics flying around, doing nothing more than introducing us. I was pleasantly surprised that what we saw was not just ‘some’ footage but lots of footage.

The trailer creates a great feel. It creates an uneasy calm, hinting at an invisible evil or danger almost watching an unconcerned planet. Things are happening like normal when in a classic scene, everyone gathers around to watch something dreadful about to happen.

My only hitch? The trailer builds up to some climax which never really comes. It just keeps building up all the way to the end and well, and then it just ends. I for one cannot wait to see this movie now. I was cautious about this one. With the budget and the small time frame they had, I never thought they would finish the movie on time. But this teaser puts me at ease. Next summer seems like it’ll be lots and lots of fun!

Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:59 pm
Profile WWW
La Bella Vito

Thanks for the trailrs, and I especially love the Batman Begins trailer! :)

Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:04 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Commander and Chef

I saw another 2 or 3 more last week but can't remember them. I dont even know if theyre from last week or not. In any case, if i find them watch them and get a chance to review them, then I'll put them up incase Eagle still hasn't posted this (which could take till next week)

Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:18 pm
Profile WWW
All Star Poster

Thanks for these updates, that Be cool trailer looks. . . . . cool

Tue Dec 14, 2004 3:16 pm
Profile WWW
Star Trek XI

Baba, did you catch the great composition of the shot in War of the Worlds with the earth in the foreground and Mars (?) in the background? Mars then becomes a red stoplight when it cuts to earth.

Great editing and directing. Spielberg rules.

Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:28 am
Profile YIM WWW
Commander and Chef

All pretty good trailers.

Baba, did you catch the great composition of the shot in War of the Worlds with the earth in the foreground and Mars (?) in the background? Mars then becomes a red stoplight when it cuts to earth.

Great editing and directing. Spielberg rules.

yup .. noticed it .. loved it

Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:45 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]