Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:04 am

Reply to topic  [ 736 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 30  Next
 MOD's Top 100. xiayun Pg. 27. 
Veteran

dolcevita wrote:
The Red Balloon (1956/France)

I fell asleep in class when our french teacher made us watch this movie. Boring as hell and whats the big deal with the kids chasing the kid with the red balloon and popping it.

Ok..it is the same movie I'm thinking of! I saw it when I was young, but I liked it for some odd reason! I found it to be very metaphoric!

'The stars in the sky...
Bring tears to my eyes...
They're lighting my way... tonight.

And I haven't felt so alive..
In years.'

MOS

Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:35 pm
Profile WWW
Award Winning Bastard

Best...Villainess...Ever.

I can think of a few James Bond female villans who are better. I'm betting Typhoid Mary in Elektra will be better. Ursa from Superman 2 was better. Mystique from X-men is better. Lady Deathstrike from X2 is better. Sharon Stone in Basic Instinct is better. Jason's mom in Friday the 13th? Elle Driver in Kill Bill? Both Jessica Walter in Play Misty for Me and Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction? I guess there are many that I see as better, as far as my definition of a good villianess goes, but to each their own. :D

Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:45 pm
Extraordinary

I can think of a few James Bond female villans who are better. I'm betting Typhoid Mary in Elektra will be better. Ursa from Superman 2 was better. Mystique from X-men is better. Lady Deathstrike from X2 is better. Sharon Stone in Basic Instinct is better. Jason's mom in Friday the 13th? Elle Driver in Kill Bill? Both Jessica Walter in Play Misty for Me and Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction? I guess there are many that I see as better, as far as my definition of a good villianess goes, but to each their own. :D

Oh oops. I meant for comic turn movie villainesses. If we're gonna open it up to all the femme fatales, than Barabar Stanwick, Lana Turner, Linda Fiorentino, and Kathleen Turner are all up there. I don't think Mystique from X-men is all that breat. She's just a pawn, never calls her own shots, and just runs around looking kinda serpentile. Deathstrike had like two minutes in X2. All she did was fight. No sign of brains or personality.

Oh yeah...Glenn Close in Dangerous Liasons takes the cake. (but I haven't gotten there yet on my list). :wink:

Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:54 pm
College Boy T

Yesh. Hackman should have won Best Actor for that.

I've seen most of those movies on the second list, even The Red Balloon! I haven't yet seen The Bad Seed, Ran, or My Twentieth Century. I LOVED TGTBATU, Better off Dead, and L.A. Confidential. I'm not crazy about the Red Balloon.

Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:55 pm
Award Winning Bastard

Oh oops. I meant for comic turn movie villainesses.

I was just giving you the business. I knew what you meant. :P

I'll miss doing things like that when I retire? :(

Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:11 pm
Extraordinary

Okay, #s 21-30, in no particular order:

Pirates of the Caribbean (2003)
Strictly Ballroom (1992/Australia)
The Sweet Hereafter (1997/Canada)
Dangerous Liaisons(1988)
Adaptation (2002)
Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead (1990)
Chinatown (1974)
Color Trilogy: Red (1994/France)
Spirited Away (2001/Japan)
Much Ado About Nothing (1993)

Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:32 pm
You must have big rats

Post Re: LDV's Top 100. Bash as you wish.
Too tired to write a lot right now, so I'll just give my grades.

Dead Man - 7/10
Batman Returns - 7/10
Chicago - 8/10
L.A. Confidential - 9.5/10
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly - 9/10
Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back - 7.5/10
Pirates of the Caribbean - 8.5/10
Spirited Away - 8.5/10

Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:40 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy T

Pirates of the Caribbean - 8.7/10 (Without Depp, it'd be a 6/10 ;))
Strictly Ballroom - 9.4/10
Dangerous Liasons - 9/10 (I loved Cruel Intentions for some reason, though, perhaps because Witherspoon was in it ;))
Adaptation - 9.8/10
Chinatown - 9.4/10
Spirited Away - 9.5/10

Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:54 pm
Extraordinary

Pirates of the Caribbean - 8.7/10 (Without Depp, it'd be a 6/10 ;))
Strictly Ballroom - 9.4/10
Dangerous Liasons - 9/10 (I loved Cruel Intentions for some reason, though, perhaps because Witherspoon was in it ;))
Adaptation - 9.8/10
Chinatown - 9.4/10
Spirited Away - 9.5/10

Sure Depp was part of the charm of Pirates. But Vidal was smart enough to give him space to do his thing. Something that Finding Neverland could have learned from. But c'mon, six out of ten without Depp? The movie itself was very good. Nice little tricks and turns but that weren't out of the blue. Made for an excellent second and third viewing when the little wink at the end makes sense, etc. Booooo. 6/10. You have no idea what you're talking about. Maybe 7.5/10 and with Depp a 9.5/10. But the whole caste did a great job. Keira would not be the star she is today if it wasn't for that role either. And people forget how unabashedly fun Geoffrey Rush's performance was in that movie. He was unhesitant to growl.

Woohoo. Got alot of 9+ out of you this round. You have good taste.

Cruel Intentions wasn't a bad movie actually. People give it alot of rap for being a teen remake of an adult film, but it was handled quite well. I love when he Ryan messes with the Psychiatrists daughter in the beginning. Hahaha.

Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:04 pm
Lord of filth

All the President's Men (1976)
Ran (1985/Japan)
Better off Dead (1985)
My Twentieth Century (1989/Hungary)
L.A. Confidential (1997)
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly (1966/Italy)
Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back (1980)
The Red Balloon (1956/France)
Dead Again (1991)
The Bad Seed (1956)
Never seen My Twentieth Century.

Not a huge L.A. Confidential fan. Red Balloon is brilliance.

Better off Dead.. meh.

Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:02 am
Profile WWW
Lord of filth

Pirates of the Caribbean (2003)
Strictly Ballroom (1992/Australia)
The Sweet Hereafter (1997/Canada)
Dangerous Liaisons(1988)
Adaptation (2002)
Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead (1990)
Chinatown (1974)
Color Trilogy: Red (1994/France)
Spirited Away (2001/Japan)
Much Ado About Nothing (1993)

All of these are great. I found Red to be my least favorite of the trilogy (Blue is my favorite, but I'm also a huge Binoche fan). Curious, do Blue and White end up on your list anywhere?

The Sweet Hereafter is easily one of the top 10 films of the 1990s. I heartily recommend anybody finding Atom Egoyan's (spelling?) catalog and giving it a whirl.

I'm not a huge Spirited Away fan either, the first time I saw it I thought it tread a bit on the Totoro legacy.

My friends are HUGE Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead junkies.

Your bias for Kenneth Branagh films begins to rise to the top. :wink: Keanu Reeves was so horribly miscast in that movie, but how can you miss a chance to see Branagh and Thompson doing their dance? Notable for being Kate Beckinsale's first film.

Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:10 am
Profile WWW
Lord of filth

Sure Depp was part of the charm of Pirates. But Vidal was smart enough to give him space to do his thing. Something that Finding Neverland could have learned from. But c'mon, six out of ten without Depp? The movie itself was very good. Nice little tricks and turns but that weren't out of the blue. Made for an excellent second and third viewing when the little wink at the end makes sense, etc. Booooo. 6/10. You have no idea what you're talking about. Maybe 7.5/10 and with Depp a 9.5/10. But the whole caste did a great job. Keira would not be the star she is today if it wasn't for that role either. And people forget how unabashedly fun Geoffrey Rush's performance was in that movie. He was unhesitant to growl.

I agree. While Depp was defiantely (and deservingly) the main attraction and the primary reason for the success of the film, there was more than his performance holding it up.

The entire film has a rythym to it that Knightly seems as tuned into as Depp. Her one liners that are horrible on the page are carried through with percision and Rush is also great and delivers the best line in the whole picture:

"Y'eve gone off the edge of the map mate! Here there be monsters!".

Also the soldiers are fun to watch, as are the pirates thesmelves. And I must applaud anybody who made that film that the captain/suitor to Knightly's character WASN'T a one dimensional villian type.

Then the technical aspects... It's all very top notch.

Even Orlando wasn't horrible, he gets stuck with all these similar parts where he is the straight uptight guy though.

Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:17 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Wow Dolce... Chicago's in your top 10! :shock: I mean it was a great movie but I just thought it was just entertaining... nothing more.

Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:28 am
The Greatest Avenger EVER

Zingy? You never heard of Chicago???? Hey Coaster, apparently you've heard of Clue. What did you think/ is it not the funniest? I know it word for word, I'm pretty sure its coming up in my sig very shortly.

bABA? WTF? I thought you loved Batman? What didn't you like about returns? i thought it was the best of the four so far? The villains were more ambiguous, there were more of them, and i still think Keaton is the best batman to date. I liked the first one alot, and there will never be a better villain than Joker, but in the second they flesh it out. instead of just having one good guy and one bad guy, there is an entire range of people with different motives including Walken (yep, i consider him one of the villains) Penguin (whose ultimate plan only comes through very late in the film) and Catwoman (who isn't a bad guy per se, but is operating, as she put it, on her own agenda). Great stuff.

BATMAN RETURNS had potential OK, but the fact that they made the character Oswald Cobblepot out to be some Jekyll and Hyde, fish eating freak was radically different than the Penguin from the comics cause he was nothing like that and that's where this failed.. Catwoman in the movie was good and Michelle Pfeiffer should've played her in the movie "Catwoman" instead of Halle Berry...

This kills TDKR At the box office next summer.. Get used to this

Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:34 am
Profile WWW
Homo Dperious

L.A. Confidential - 8.8/10 - My second favorite of 1997
Spirited Away 8.9/10 - My favorite of 2002
Pirates of the Caribbean - 7.6/10 - 11th of 2003
Chinatown - 8.3/10

All great. :)

Tue Dec 14, 2004 4:22 am
Profile ICQ
now we know

Good Bad Ugly, LA Confidential, Pirates of Caribbean = good lady

Rest = Naughty girly ;)

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Dec 14, 2004 7:20 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Never seen My Twentieth Century.

Not a huge L.A. Confidential fan. Red Balloon is brilliance.

Better off Dead.. meh.

Better off Dead is one of the ones that falls into the nostalgia more so than quality category. Heh. I think it was the first Cusack film I ever saw.

Yay, Red Balloon brilliance! :D

What didn't you like about L.A.? *spoilers* I love how when Sapcey is shot he's still smart enough to give the chief a name that will trigger bells with Crowe. sheer brilliance. well, to me at least.

My twentieth century makes Fellini seem fast-paced, but its just a very haunting sort of ambiguous movie.

andaroo wrote:
All of these are great. I found Red to be my least favorite of the trilogy (Blue is my favorite, but I'm also a huge Binoche fan). Curious, do Blue and White end up on your list anywhere?

The Sweet Hereafter is easily one of the top 10 films of the 1990s. I heartily recommend anybody finding Atom Egoyan's (spelling?) catalog and giving it a whirl.

I'm not a huge Spirited Away fan either, the first time I saw it I thought it tread a bit on the Totoro legacy.

My friends are HUGE Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead junkies.

Your bias for Kenneth Branagh films begins to rise to the top. :wink: Keanu Reeves was so horribly miscast in that movie, but how can you miss a chance to see Branagh and Thompson doing their dance? Notable for being Kate Beckinsale's first film.

Blue makes it up there.

Amen to sweet hereafter, in fact, I'm watching it over tonight, because I just saw Felicia's Journey last night. :shock: You're right about his work. I'm actually going over to foreign/indie to dedicate an entire thread to him afterwards. The guy is in a league of his own.

Your friends have good taste.

Hahaha. i didn't notice that. Geesh, i hope his frankenstein doesnt make the list, because its pretty damn close. He's a smart actor/director. Keanue I don't think was so bad in his role. He's supposed to be intense and, well "off." I think they could have found someone better, but in the sceme of things, he did a better job in that than anything other than Bill and Ted's excellent adventures.

and thank-you for seeing what i saw in Pirates. That movie was awsome. anyone that thinks otherwise, clearly has no idea what they are talking about. 8)

Last edited by dolcevita on Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:06 am
Extraordinary

Wow Dolce... Chicago's in your top 10! :shock: I mean it was a great movie but I just thought it was just entertaining... nothing more.

Its no particular order PE. Its in my top 100, not my top ten. I'm just releasing them in batches to stimulate conversation. But yeah, I thought it was pretty fun. I've seen it 'bout 4 times.

BKB_the_MAN wrote:
BATMAN RETURNS had potential OK, but the fact that they made the character Oswald Cobblepot out to be some Jekyll and Hyde, fish eating freak was radically different than the Penguin from the comics cause he was nothing like that and that's where this failed.. Catwoman in the movie was good and Michelle Pfeiffer should've played her in the movie "Catwoman" instead of Halle Berry...

Yeah, when he bites the fishes is a weak point. But until then i thought it was great that you didn't actually know what he was working on. Often the "bad guys" plots are too simple (they're just robbing something, or want to blow the world up). It was great that he went to the city archives to write everyday, and that people thought he was searching for his parents' names, when in fact he was actually writiing up the names of every first born sun. Thats the kind of stuff I like. i thought it was better than spider-man 2, when he basically just has these arms that take over, and robs a bank so his arms can continue "taking over the world." Pfieffer ruled as cat woman, she was smart to turn down the current movie, she has a good filtering process. Berry isn't a bad actor per se, she just can't spot a bad script even if it falls on her head. Catwoman was unsaveable, regardless of who took the lead.

Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:12 am
Extraordinary

@ DP07 = You have great picks too then. :wink:

@algren = Why naughty? Dangerous Liaisons anyone?

Okay. here's another ten, #s 31-40:

Cabaret (1972)
Cane Toads (1988/Australia)
To Live (1994/China)
Blow-Up (1966/Italy/England)
Three Days of the Condor (1975)
Bonnie and Clyde (1967)
Hud (1963)
Children of a Lesser God (1986)
Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown (1988/Spain)
Goldfinger (1964)

Yeah...there some back-to-back Faye in there. She's one of my faves, a film she was in will pop up once more.

Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:22 am
Extraordinary

Working Girl (1988)
Anatomy of a Murder (1959)
Network (1976)
Seven Beauties (1976/Italy)
My Cousin Vinny (1992)
Mississippi Burning (1988)
The Bridges of Madison County (1995)
No Man's Land (2001/Bosnia-Herzegovina) I'll never watch it again though
Jurassic Park (1993)
The Nightmare before Christmas (1993)

Enyoy... :arrow:

Last edited by dolcevita on Fri Dec 17, 2004 1:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:47 pm
College Boy Z

Jurassic Park (1993)

Good choice! :-D

Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:33 pm
Extraordinary

I have to say that some of the tension scenes were magnificent. I hate to resort to the now cliche water rings in the drinking cups when T-rex was approaching, but it really was perfect. That movie was just great effects, great script and cast, awsome dinasaurs, just good good good, all the way around.

Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:37 pm
Homo Dperious

Bonnie and Clyde (1967)

I saw it when I was like 10 years old. I liked it alot then, but my reaction at that age is usually not a good indicator of whether I'd like a movie now. I mean, I loved transformers back then. hehe. I have to see it again. I'll add it at netflix.

Jurassic Park - 7.9

I have not seen most of these films, but of the ones I have, I like. :)

Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:39 pm
Profile ICQ
Extraordinary

Y'all haven't seen Working Girl. It was actually really fun. Joan Cusack was hilarious in it. "Want anything? Coffee, Tea, Me?"

And Weaver deserve an oscar for best supporting actress.

"Who makes it happen Tess? You do."

So good.

Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:43 pm
Extraordinary

Three Colors: Blue (1993/France)
Lysistrata (1987?/Greece)
Kiss of the Spider Woman (1985)
Hannah and Her Sisters (1986)
Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail (1975)
Glory (1989)
Nowhere in Africa (2001/Germany)
Fargo (1996)
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989)
Madchen in Uniform (1931/Germany)

8)

Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:52 am
Reply to topic   [ 736 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 30  Next