Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:34 pm

Reply to topic  [ 736 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 30  Next
 MOD's Top 100. xiayun Pg. 27. 
College Boy T

torrino wrote:
#31-40
Blazing Saddles (1974, Mel Brooks)
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004, Michel Gondry)
Fight Club (1999, David Fincher)

:shock: You have my top film of all time right near to one of my bottom 10.

Which one is that?

Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:29 am
College Boy T

About A Boy (2002, Chris and Paul Weitz)
Almost Famous (2000, Cameron Crowe)
The Big Lebowski (1998, Joel Coen)
The Full Monty (1997, Peter Cattaneo)
Labyrinth (1986, Jim Henson)
Mostly Martha (2001, Sandra Nettelbeck)
Roxanne (1987, Fred Schepisi)
Se7en (1994, David Fincher)
Singin' in the Rain (1952, Stanley Donen)
True Romance (1993, Tony Scott)

Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:42 am
College Boy Z

#41-50

:D

Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:56 am
Kypade

only 2 this time:oops:

About a Boy is wonderful, and the big lebowski is pretty good too...

l've also seen Se7en, but the tv version and l really dint enjoy it much...:oops:

Sat Dec 18, 2004 11:03 am
College Boy T

2001: A Space Odyssey (1968, Stanley Kubrick)
A Clockwork Orange (1971, Stanley Kubrick)
Adaptation (2002, Spike Jonze)
American Beauty (1999, Sam Mendes)
As Good As It Gets (1997, James L. Brooks)
Back to the Future (1985, Robert Zemeckis)
Best in Show (2000, Christopher Guest)
Clueless (1995, Amy Heckerling)
Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964, Stanley Kubrick)
Edward Scissorhands (1990, Tim Burton)
Fargo (1996, The Coen Brothers)
Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986, John Hughes)
Gone With the Wind (1939, Victor Fleming)
It Happened One Night (1934, Frank Capra)
Life is Beautiful (1997, Roberto Benigni)
Lost in Translation (2003, Sophia Coppola)
Memento (2000, Christopher Nolan)
My Cousin Vinny (1992, Jonathan Lynn)
Night of the Living Dead (1968, George Romero)
O' Brother, Where Art Thou? (2000, The Coen Brothers)
One Flew Over The Cukoo's Nest (1975, Milos Forman)
Pleasantville (1998, Gary Ross)
Pulp Fiction (1994, Quentin Tarantino)
Rain Man (1988, Barry Levinson)
Schindler's List (1993, Steven Spielberg)
Taxi Driver (1976, Martin Scorsese)
The Fellowship of the Ring (2001, Peter Jackson)
The Godfather (1972, Francis Ford Coppola)
The Godfather Part II (1974, Francis Ford Coppola)
The Motorcycle Diaries (2004, Walter Salles)
The Princess Bride (1987, Rob Reiner)
The Return of the King (2003, Peter Jackson)
The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975, Jim Sharman)
The Silence of the Lambs (1991, Jonathan Demme)
The Usual Suspects (1995, Bryan Singer)
This is Spinal Tap (1984, Rob Reiner)
Y Tu Mamá También (2001, Alfonso Cuarón)

Start Posting, damnit! ;)

Sat Dec 18, 2004 11:38 am
College Boy Z

2001: A Space Odyssey (1968, Stanley Kubrick)
Back to the Future (1985, Robert Zemeckis)
Clueless (1995, Amy Heckerling)
Edward Scissorhands (1990, Tim Burton)
Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986, John Hughes)
Life is Beautiful (1997, Roberto Benigni)
My Cousin Vinny (1992, Jonathan Lynn)
Night of the Living Dead (1968, George Romero)
Pleasantville (1998, Gary Ross)
Pulp Fiction (1994, Quentin Tarantino)
The Fellowship of the Ring (2001, Peter Jackson)
The Godfather (1972, Francis Ford Coppola)
The Godfather Part II (1974, Francis Ford Coppola)
The Return of the King (2003, Peter Jackson)
The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975, Jim Sharman)
The Silence of the Lambs (1991, Jonathan Demme)

Seen these ones. Good choices.

Sat Dec 18, 2004 11:46 am
Commander and Chef

#41-50

About a boy .. great
Almost famous, greater than great
Big lobowski, could never get into
Full Monty .. one of a kind
Se7en ... great stuff

Rest I haven't seen

Sat Dec 18, 2004 11:54 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

only 2 this time:oops:

About a Boy is wonderful, and the big lebowski is pretty good too...

l've also seen Se7en, but the tv version and l really dint enjoy it much...:oops:

I didn't much like se7en either actually. I ran opening day to see it and have to say it was predictable and dissappointing. And seriously, the last two sins aren't clear, and most of the debate I've heard around the movie is how her head in a box really fit the description of dying according to ones own sins. Most of the discussion wasn't about the sort of profundity in exaggerating ones weakness to a point where they serve as one's own demise. The fact that all talk was based on the former and not the latter, clearly means the movie failed to do much except for provide a little shock value to the movie going public.

About a Boy was actually an excellent movie. I totally forgot about that one. Its definately up there. Great movie.

Big Lebowski, like bABA, I never got into at all, and I think Coen's have several way better movies under their belt including Blood Simple, Fargo, Miller's Crossing, and O Brother.

I can't argue the production value of singing in the rain, but its the direction I wish musicals wouldn't go in. Take away the song and dance and all you're left with is a seriously boring sappy simple plot. Either take it dark or take it camp. Hell, I preferred Xanadu to it.

Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:17 pm
College Boy T

Actually, I think "Singin' in the Rain" is the ideal musical. The only flaw is this one 10-15 minute segment that seems out of place.

#51-60
Amores Perros (2000, Alejandro González Iñárritu)
Being John Malkovich (1999, Spike Jonze)
Billy Elliot (2000, Stephen Daldry)
The Commitments (1991, Alan Parker)
The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly (1966, Sergio Leone)
High Fidelity (2000, Stephen Frears)
The Last Temptation of Christ (1988, Martin Scorsese)
Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975, Terry Gilliam)
Say Anything (1989, Cameron Crowe)
Waiting for Guffman (1996, Christopher Guest)

Sat Dec 18, 2004 3:00 pm
Extraordinary

Billy Eliott was part of the downward spiral of Irish film. Full Monty was so good and then every year its like some new Irish film had to get put on the market. Their production value dropped a bit with each year. I though it was cute, but that's exactly it...it was cute. The working class hero done good gets tiring especially when social commentary starts to leave the picture and just becomes a personal story, etc. The dialogue started falling off too, and in general I think movies with kiddie heros struggle with script. It okay, maybe a B-, but I didn't love it. Same with New Devine (which was better than Eliott). I feel like these films went through a Hollywood wip them out on the market asap while there is a demand type time.

I'm also going to put it out there, that Say Anything was damn boring. There.

Guffman was excellent. My second fave behind Best-in-Show, which I noticed made your top list also. What did you think of Mighty Wind? It was pretty good, but not for some reason quite as up to the standard of the others for me.

Sat Dec 18, 2004 9:22 pm
College Boy T

John Cusack's a good actor and I found the movie cute. As most agree, the boombox scene is great!

A Mighty Wind is also on my list.

I can't respond to a Hollywood pattern to release an Irish film every year just because of The Full Monty. I think Billy Elliot's the better movie but The Full Monty's more entertaining (and original). Though, I don't thing you can deny that Billy Elliot has an interesting premise...

Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:15 pm
Extraordinary

Yeah. The idea of it was fine only 1. Its pretty contemporary in setting and Ireland isn't that backwards, and two, while the idea was great the characters were too simple. It made for a "nice" and easily folowable story, but nothing exceptional. I'm surprised you found it to be better than Full Monty. Monty was just shy of making my list (forgot about it) and Billy wasn't really anywhere close. Why do you think it was actually better?

Does anyone else here agree with Torri on this one? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:18 pm
College Boy T

American Pie (1999, Paul Weitz)
Dazed and Confused (1993, Richard Linklater)
Garden State (2004, Zach Braff)
Ghost World (2000, Terry Zwigoff)
Goodfellas (1990, Martin Scorsese)
Jackie Brown (1997, Quentin Tarantino)
The Maltese Falcon (1941, John Huston)
Mean Girls (2004, Mark S. Waters)
Richard III (1995, Richard Loncraine)
Sleeper (1973, Woody Allen)

I'll comment on Billy Elliot vs. Full Monty in a second.

Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:22 pm
Extraordinary

You put Mean Girls in your top 100?????? Geez, at least The Heathers. Mean Girls was passable but it wasn't on the level of other teen comedies like the original American Pie (good pick, on that one, I support it).

What does everyone see in Mean Girls so much? And if you say nice pics of Lohan I'll slap you. Tween of the month does not make a movie worthy of top 100.

Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:28 pm
College Boy T

The drama situations in "The Full Monty", such as female issues (with both finding one on one guys' part and keeping one on the other one) and suicide, don't seem fitting. "Billy Elliot" on the other hand, is what it is. It doesn't attempt to mix genres and flows particularly well, even if it's not nearly as exciting as "The Full Monty". Except, don't think of exciting in terms of the same subject that would make Zingaling run from his dvd player faster than the opening of a fourth Matrix. I don't enjoy it because of the male nudity, but because of the creativity, comedic/situational scenes, and the screenplay ;). Hell, it even spawned an imitator in Calender Girls.

Dolce, did you enjoy/cherish forever/like/love "The Commitments"? It's sad to think that the guy who made that was also responsible for The Life of David Gale (and to think, that had Kevin Spacey AND Kate Winslet!)

Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:32 pm
College Boy Z

Mean Girls made your top 100?! :shock: :D

Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:32 pm
Extraordinary

Hehe. My thoughts exactly. Even Zingy is with me on this one.

And I saw the Committments a long time ago. Bought the soundtrack too, and it was one of my mom's favorite movies back then when it was first released. I remember liking it alot, but I couldn't say for sure now as far as details because its been 10 or more years since I've seen it I think.

Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:38 pm
College Boy T

Heathers is a lil' dated. I realize Ferris Bueller is too (how come you didn't bitch about that one? twas on my top 10!) but, Mean Girls is a little more relevant. I know some of the stuff is contrived and, it starts off with a bang and then falls into typical teen movie realm (happy endings, happy transitions into happy characters, romance, etc...but even that's pulled off better than most... "I didn't leave the south side for this!"), but it's the closest portrayal of cliques I've seen. I didn't initially LOVE it in theatres, but it's found a place in its video/dvd release...And, that has to do with rewatchability. It has nothing to do with Lohan - I think she's cute, but currently she's trying a tad bit too hard to come across as shexy, such as flaunting and attempting to protrude what she's got (er...boobies. Don't slap me...). Frankly, Rachel McAdams was every bit as hot in the movie as Lohan was...except, it came naturally to McAdams (Even though her character, like Lohan in real life, is supposed to flaunt the stuff...

If we're doing a "Best Movies" list, then Clueless goes along with Mean Girls!

Now stop bitchin' about everything and appreciate the other movies that are on there. I didn't tell you how I REALLY felt about "Clue"...jk.

Last edited by torrino on Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:39 pm
College Boy T

Zingaling wrote:

Hehe. My thoughts exactly. Even Zingy is with me on this one.

And I saw the Committments a long time ago. Bought the soundtrack too, and it was one of my mom's favorite movies back then when it was first released. I remember liking it alot, but I couldn't say for sure now as far as details because its been 10 or more years since I've seen it I think.

Wow. If I were Zingaling, but were of the opposite sex, I'd slap you. You just insulted his taste. And you're supposed to be the nice mod! ;)

But, even Zingaling blurted out a smile when he saw it on my top 100. It comes to him as a suprise b/c he thought I found it overated initially. As I said, it's a flawed movie. It gets slower because it's sooo satirical and funny in the beginning. But, it's very enjoyable.

At least we agree on American Pie. The sequels sucked.

Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:41 pm
Extraordinary

Heathers is a lil' dated. I realize Ferris Bueller is too (how come you didn't bitch about that one?) but, Mean Girls is a little more relevant. I know some of the stuff is contrived and, it starts off with a bang and then falls into typical teen movie realm (happy endings, happy transitions into happy characters, romance, etc...but even that's pulled off better than most... "I didn't leave the south side for this!"), but it's the closest portrayal of cliques I've seen. I didn't initially LOVE it in theatres, but it's found a place in its video/dvd release...And, that has to do with rewatchability. It has nothing to do with Lohan - I think she's cute, but currently she's trying a tad bit too hard to come across as shexy, such as flaunting and attempting to protrude what she's got (er...boobies. Don't slap me...). Frankly, Rachel McAdams was every bit as hot in the movie as Lohan was...except, it came naturally to McAdams (Even though her character, like Lohan in real life, is supposed to flaunt the stuff...

If we're doing a "Best Movies" list, then Clueless goes along with Mean Girls!

Now stop bitchin' about everything and appreciate the other movies that are on there. I didn't tell you how I REALLY felt about "Clue"...jk.

Hehe. I supported your love of clueless. I think the script was way better, movement through scenarios was much richer and tighter, and it was one of the better teen adaptations of an adult text (along with, as I think I mentioned earlier, Cruel Intentions).

Now now, torri, what did I tell you about bitching? Its in my very nature. Every forum needs a snooty condescending signorina to nit-pick every movie on the face of the planet. This place just wouldn't feel like home without one. Its big shoes I have to fill. I'm just warming up...if any one of my most hated movies enters your list...all respect will be lost for you, and you will never hear the end of it. :wink:

Last edited by dolcevita on Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:44 pm
College Boy T

Clerks is not on my list. Don't worry. It's in the Top 200, though. And you aren't changing it! And with that said...

*gets transformed into a female, slaps dolcevita, and sends her to the hospital. acquires dolcevita's password, changes it, blocks dolcevita's IP from worldofkj.com, and prevents ANY loss of respect (that is, textual loss of respect that one can see IN person!). Then gets transferred back*

Wow. I'm sure that was scary. In fact, I should erase that (and the Clerks comment).

But...do you support the Ferris Bueller inclusion in the Top 10? Or...do you just not mind it? I'm ready to argue for that one...I think.

Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:49 pm
Extraordinary

Clerks is not on my list. Don't worry. It's in the Top 200, though. And you aren't changing it! And with that said...

*gets transformed into a female, slaps dolcevita, and sends her to the hospital. acquires dolcevita's password, changes it, blocks dolcevita's IP from worldofkj.com, and prevents ANY loss of respect (that is, textual loss of respect that one can see IN person!). Then gets transferred back*

Wow. I'm sure that was scary. In fact, I should erase that (and the Clerks comment).

But...do you support the Ferris Bueller inclusion in the Top 10? Or...do you just not mind it? I'm ready to argue for that one...I think.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You would send me to the hospital??? Who would spam the foreign/indie forum every day?

Bueller is timeless. It is the adventures of a boy skipping school. Its not on my top 100, but I like it. I wouldn't change anything in it. Its a good movie.

Last edited by dolcevita on Sat Dec 18, 2004 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:52 pm
College Boy T

I still owe you a beer for giving me a second nod on one of the Guest movies, right? Well, now I owe you a second one...anyone who doesn't love Ferris Bueller deserves a whole day with...*thinks*...the abomination that is Snow Dogs!

I'd send you to the hospital if you lowered my character for liking Clerks. It'd be the only way to prevent an attack on the basis/level of that certain someone who attacked you earlier on the boards for a stupid reason...

Though, trust me, it's BOUND to be found on Dima's list.

#71-80
A Mighty Wind (2003, Christopher Guest)
Cruel Intentions (1999, Roger Kumble)
Ed Wood (1994, Tim Burton)
Get Shorty (1995, Barry Sonnenfeld)
Harold and Maude (1971, Hal Ashby)
Rashomon (1950, Akira Kurosawa)
Shaun of the Dead (2004, Edgar Wright)
Spirited Away (2001, Hayao Miyazaki)
Trainspotting (1996, Danny Boyle)
Young Frankenstein (1974, Mel Brooks)

Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:58 pm
Extraordinary

I'd send you to the hospital if you lowered my character for liking Clerks. It'd be the only way to prevent an attack on the basis/level of that certain someone who attacked you earlier on the boards for a stupid reason...

Huh? Over Clerks? WTH are you refering to :?:

I said I actually thought Cruel Intentions was pretty decent. And Harold and Maude everyone should watch, period. I challenge anyone to not like that movie.

Sat Dec 18, 2004 11:07 pm
College Boy T

torrino wrote:

Huh? Over Clerks? WTH are you refering to :?:

I said I actually thought Cruel Intentions was pretty decent. And Harold and Maude everyone should watch, period. I challenge anyone to not like that movie.

No....not over Clerks.

But someone attacked you (it wasn't Goldie...) over a stupid reason and tried to demean your character/modding skills at the same time. I'm just comparing what you'd do if, I, say, had Clerks on my top 10, to this guy's certain actions...

Sat Dec 18, 2004 11:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 736 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 30  Next