Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:32 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
 Nice Little Roger Ebert Essay on FX... 
Extraordinary

Post Nice Little Roger Ebert Essay on FX...
I recommend reading a nice little essay on special effects that Roger Ebert wrote this week called, The Effect of Effects with a spotlight on the classic 1940 fantasy film The Thief of Bagdad (if you haven't seen it, make a point of doing so!)...

Quote:
The effect of effects

By Roger Ebert on August 3, 2008

I've just been watching "The Thief of Bagdad" (1940), which has probably the most influential special effects of all pre-CGI films. It's going into the Great Movies Collection, not for the effects, of course, but because it is a sublime entertainment on a level with "The Wizard of Oz" or the first "Star Wars." But there are few effects in "Star Wars" (1977) that were not invented for, experimented with, or perfected in "The Thief of Bagdad." And some of them had their genesis in Raoul Walsh's magnificent 1924 silent film of the same name starring Douglas Fairbanks, Sr.

Details will await my Great Movies article. But in a more general way, I'd like to discuss the impact of the 1940 film, produced by the legendary Alexander Korda and directed by three names in the credits (including Michael Powell) and perhaps three more who were not credited. Just from that you can see it was a producer's picture.

The thing about the film is, we logically know the effects are effects, but they have aspects of startling reality. We know that horses can't gallop through the air, and carpets can't fly. But, hey, that's the real Sultan on a real horse, and that's the real Sabu on a real carpet. Today it might be done with CGI. We would get quick cuts of the horse heaving and tossing its mane, and the Sultan clinging for dear life, and eagles circling, and the overhead shot to the ground below, and the movie would be so busy it would forget the real point of the shot: The horse is flying!

That's what happens when a shot is about effects, instead of about what they portray. One of the pleasures for me of the latest X-File movie is that it always remembered that. We knew we weren't always looking at real bodies or real severed heads, but they had heft and presence. The filmmakers went to the trouble of model-making instead of slapping in some CGI. Nor did they dwell on their work; the shots were only held long enough to make their point.

"The Thief of Bagdad" shows vast towering cities. They have astonishing beauty in awesome vistas. Yes, they're created with effects. But the effects sit there and can be regarded. It is much the same, really, with early animated films like "Snow White." The point was so look at something extraordinary, not whiz through it.

I have nothing against digital technology. It tricks the eye just as matte paintings and miniatures did. What I'm concerned about is that filmmakers take it for granted. When you're not dealing with something physical, like a matte, you're tempted to go for broke, and then your "real life" movie feels like a cartoon. The best effects are those that are entirely story-driven and character-driven. Consider the climactic battle in "Iron Man." One reader wrote me in wonder that he found himself really engaged with the two battling iron creatures, even when he knew they weren't real. That should always be the ideal. The genius of "Spider-Man II" was that the effects always followed, rather than produced, the need for them. The modern film that best uses effects, I think, is "Dark City," which regards them with respect.

Classical animation had limitations. The artists were using some of the same techniques as live-action effects, such as paintings on glass with see-through areas, to create backgrounds and foregrounds, or the ability to move through planes of space. Because every frame was drawn by hand, every frame was treated with respect; there was time to contemplate. Much modern animation has attention-deficit disorder. It blasts us with high-velocity images we don't have time to care about. "Finding Nemo" was a film that had the patience to be visually beautiful. Fish don't swim like dueling motorboats.

CGI introduces the same problem to live-action films. Didn't we enjoy the actual stunt work of Jackie Chan more than the present-day impossibilities in karate fights? Stunts are threatened by CGI. Actors like Fairbanks Sr. and Buster Keaton did their own stunts--they were great athletes as well as great actors. When Fairbanks Senior leaps from one big pot to another in a chase in the 1924 film, how does he do it? He does it himself, with concealed trampolines. When a building wall falls on Keaton but he is saved because he happens to be standing just where the window is, how was that done? With a real wall, a real window, and the real Buster Keaton, who trusted his life to calculations that he was standing in exactly the right place.

I'm suggesting that we need to rein in promiscuous CGI. We need more attention to effect, less trust in effects. We don't need to hammer the audience with visuals that are too quick and facile to care about. Have a look at the 1940 "Thief of Bagdad." Then go back and see the 1924 film, which Fairbanks Junior told me was his father's best and favorite. Do you feel anything lacking in the special effects? I never do. The filmmakers are working with their hands and their imaginations, not with their computers.

Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:40 pm
llegó a la casa vía marítima

Post Re: Nice Little Roger Ebert Essay on FX...
Eh...I love tons of CGI. Its one of the reasons I enjoyed the prequels so much.

Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:11 pm
Extraordinary

Waker of Winds wrote:

I imagine this sort of preference explains why movies like Transformers do so well these days...

Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:24 am
I just lost the game

Bradley Witherberry wrote:
Waker of Winds wrote:

I imagine this sort of preference explains why movies like Transformers do so well these days...

Nothing wrong with wanting to be engaged visually. Movies are primarily a visual medium afterall.

Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:05 pm

Waker of Winds wrote:

I only found Transformers to be "good", but if the effects had been subpar I admit I wouldn't have enjoyed it much. But there's nothing wrong with wanting to see great CGI. Its excellent eye candy, and as insomaniac said, movies are all about visual stimulation.

Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:07 pm
Extraordinary

Waker of Winds wrote:
Waker of Winds wrote:

I only found Transformers to be "good", but if the effects had been subpar I admit I wouldn't have enjoyed it much. But there's nothing wrong with wanting to see great CGI. Its excellent eye candy, and as insomaniac said, movies are all about visual stimulation.

That probably goes a long way in explaining the gap between my opinion on some movies these days (especially the "blockbusters") compared to many other KJer's.

My own belief is that film is a visual medium in the service of a story.

Not that there's anything wrong with enjoying eye candy, but to paraphrase Yoda, "It alone does not a movie make"...

Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:00 am
Forum General

CGI in squeals is usually there to make the audience forget the awful acting and story lines in these film.

However, CGI with a great story and acting makes a great film.

Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:34 am
Profile WWW
Okay, I Believe You But My Tommy Gun Don't

Waker of Winds wrote:
Waker of Winds wrote:

That probably goes a long way in explaining the gap between my opinion on some movies these days (especially the "blockbusters") compared to many other KJer's.

My own belief is that film is a visual medium in the service of a story.

Not that there's anything wrong with enjoying eye candy, but to paraphrase Yoda, "It alone does not a movie make"...

Agreed. I think most filmmakers use too much CGI and forget the realism and story that is being told in motion pictures. Remember how everyone in the audience at TDK was in shock and amazed when the REAL tractor-trailer flipped. That is why I hold Tim Burton in high regard because he tries or used to try really hard to have everything be non-CGI. I am the same with Ebert, I don't hate CGI, it serves a purpose, just trying making the Hulk or Transformers without it, but does it really need to be in movies like Get Smart no.

I was reminded of something that was said by Warner's campaigning for Mystic River to win Best Picture, "The best special effect is human emotion."

I HATE MICHAEL BAY

Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:45 am
Profile WWW
invading your spaces

Then again, CGI evolves too. Even the shittiest CG fest adds to the growing realism on display in the CG world. You can't get that evolution to near seemless CG without some experiments, successes and failures along the way. 2001 and Star Wars innovated a great deal, but they were built on YEARS of techniques that were cobbled together to form new ones.

Bradley of course picks on Transformers, but the truth of the matter is that they used as little CG in that film as possible (pretty much only the robots) and everything that was possible practically (like flipping cars in downtown Los Angeles, explosions, etc.) was done practically or with as many real vehicles as possible.

One of Ebert's favorite films, Citizen Kane, was an amazing film, filled with a vast amount of effects that by today's standard are AWFUL (like the animated bird in the "jungle" sequence?). Imagine if we had the same article in 1940s written about the state of un-believable matte painting, without allowing it to advance?

There also seems to be this ignorance about the movie industry. There has always been films of spectacle and scale... B-movies and the like... serials... etc. These are no different than your large scale spectacle movies of today, some are remembered, some are not. It's easy to look back on classic films and think that every film released was gold, but it was DEFINITELY not the case then.

Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:55 am
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

^ Pretty much... I think CGI can be great if it's used properly, I think it was used pretty excellently in Transformers, Spiderman II, and Pirates 2, among others. Where it screws up is movies like The Golden Compass or Superman Returns where they go overboard, like deciding "let's make a climax where Superman throws a continent into space"

For the most part though, I still think the shark in Jaws or the dinos in Jurassic Park feel more realistic than most CGI today. But it's learning.

Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:48 pm
loyalfromlondon

CGI is great when it's in the background, like in Cuaron's films or TDK or some of the quieter sci-fi films of the last decade. But when it's overused and thrust forward, like in the prequels or the last two Pirates films, it becomes blatantly obvious that it's just not good enough yet. Practical FX still looks better.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:54 pm
Extraordinary

The CGI in Spider-Man 2 is pretty neat.

MadGez wrote:
Briefs. Am used to them and boxers can get me in trouble it seems. Too much room and maybe the silkiness have created more than one awkward situation.

My Box-Office Blog: http://boxofficetracker.blogspot.com/

Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:22 pm
Profile WWW
invading your spaces

trixster wrote:
CGI is great when it's in the background, like in Cuaron's films or TDK or some of the quieter sci-fi films of the last decade. But when it's overused and thrust forward, like in the prequels or the last two Pirates films, it becomes blatantly obvious that it's just not good enough yet. Practical FX still looks better.

As awful as some of the aspects of the final 2 Pirates movies are, I wouldn't say the effects in Pirates 2 were horrible, I thought they were exceedingly convincing. When we got to Pirates 3 and there was a city made of destroyed ships and that WHOLE ending thing with the bad CG Jack Sparrow, that took it too far.

But that's just knowing when to edit.

Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:54 pm
Profile WWW
Too Brilliant for Introductions

I actually thought Pirates 2 had almost the same amount of non-practical FX Pirates 1 did. Davey Jones' crew were definitely the highlights. Pirates 3 on the other hand... as much as I liked the whirlpool at the end, its effects were overdone (particularly Calypso breaking into all those clams and the Sparrow inside another Sparrow).

Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:02 pm
Profile WWW

CGI is necessary when some thing simply cannot be done using any other method. If the entire film's visual style is similar, even if its crammed with digital effects, the audience gets used to the style and the effects become believable (like the Star Wars prequels, where several scenes where all CGI, like all the ones with Yoda on Kashyyk, all the film's clone troopers were CGI).

Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:08 am
Dont Mess with the Gez

The CGI in Attack of the Clones was terrible. Sith was much better.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:32 am
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]