Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ] 
 Sam Raimi vs. Peter Jackson 

Who do you prefer?
Sam Raimi 36%  36%  [ 9 ]
Peter Jackson 64%  64%  [ 16 ]
Total votes : 25

Sam Raimi vs. Peter Jackson 
You must have big rats

Post Sam Raimi vs. Peter Jackson
I posted the same one a while ago at BOM, so why not here too.

Now there are definitely similarities between this two, concerning their movie carreers. Both have started out with low-budget gory horror flicks. Peter Jackson kicked off with cult movies like Dead Alive (a.k.a. Brain Dead), Meet the Feebles and Bad Taste while Sam Raimi started out with the legendary Evil Dead Trilogy.

After having gone through some smaller movies after those (Sam Raimi - A Simple Plan, Peter Jackson - Heavenly Creatures) they ended up with some of the most remarkable and highest grossing movies of all time. Peter Jackson brought the masterpiece called The Lord of the Rings to life while Sam Raimi has created two, probably best, comic book movies ever made - Spider-Man 1 + 2! Their achievments are both amazing and their hard work and devotion are admirable.

These boards are not as infested with LOTR-fans yet as BOM, so I think this poll might have a chance here.

But who in the end, do you think is better?

My vote goes to Sam Raimi as I prefer the Spider-Man movies over the Lord of the Rings Trilogy, but this is a close call. The deciding point was actually Raimi's great Evil Dead Trilogy.

Feel free to discuss!

Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:12 pm
Profile WWW
Grill

My vote goes to Pete. He's not my favorite director but i like LOTR better than Spiderman.

Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:15 pm
Extraordinary

Without diminshing Raimi at all (he made the best superhero movies ever) I prefer Jackson's ability to take what could have been a collosal failure and make it into an Academy Award winning triumph.

Ask me again in about 20 years when they both have more films to their credit!

Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:32 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Based on the merit of the quality their accomplishments, I would undoubtedly say Peter Jackson...

Absolutely no bias and fanboyism aside, Peter Jackson is my role model, not because he made LOTR, but because of his character and that driving force inside that body.

Top Anticipated 2009
1. Nine

Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:13 am
I'm Batman

Yes I picked Sam Raimi. And yes it is because I'm a Spider-Man fanboy.

Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:16 am
The Greatest Avenger EVER

Despite the fact that I'm really not a fan of LOTR, I'm willing to admit that Peter Jackson did a tremendous job adapting this for the big screen and I'll give him credit for that, but I still had to vote for Raimi because I feel his movies are just, well, more fun to watch and aren't as overly long or boring as the LOTR Trilogy... Raimi's Evil Dead movies or even the 1st and 2nd Spiderman movies held my attention alot better than 3 and a half hours of boring, boring talk, talk, talk and with action that was few and far between.. The action when on screen was a sight to watch and behold, but that's about as far as it goes...

This kills TDKR At the box office next summer.. Get used to this

Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:52 am
Profile WWW
George A. Romero

Sam Raimi created The Evil Dead series and the greatest hero ever in Ash, and Spider-Man.....end of discussion....

Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:12 am
Veteran

PJ..full stop! When the man gets a vision he gives it his full dedication and it becomes a labour of love for him! I highly, highly respect that! Also, knowing him personally and having the opportunity to work for him, I can truly say that he is one of the most humble, grounded, and unpretentious people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting! He's like a great neighbour, except that he is now NZ's greatest son! Raimi is cool, but Jackson...well Jackson... he has my allegiance.

'The stars in the sky...
Bring tears to my eyes...
They're lighting my way... tonight.

And I haven't felt so alive..
In years.'

MOS

Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:23 am
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

SPILL!

THE!

BEANS!

MIIRRRRVVVOOOOOOORRRRRR

Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:35 am
Profile WWW
Veteran

You work for Jackson????

SPILL!

THE!

BEANS!

MIIRRRRVVVOOOOOOORRRRRR

I don't work for him now! I worked for him as an extra...many times...in LOTR! Was a Elven Warrior, a Rider of Rohan, a Gondorian Soldier, a Corsair, and an Urûk Hai! I thought you knew? I posted a pic of me in Lothlòrien Elf Soldier battle gear!

A mate of mine, is actually an extra for him now in King Kong as one of the people in the crowd in the New York City Scene! She also was also in LOTR: TTT, as one of the women of Rohan! She also got a last minute call to be a Centaur in the Great Battle on the Narnia (TLTWTW) set! She said Karl Urban's favourite make-up artist from Zena did her centaur makeup! :)

'The stars in the sky...

In years.'

MOS

Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:47 am
Profile WWW
Teenage Dream

As much as I love the LOTR trilogy, i'm going with Raimi simply because of the huge influence his films have had on the new generation of filmmakers croping up right now. It seems like you can't watch a genre film anymore without it having several minutes of Raimi homage's. I mean, the man virtually invented the "POV of something we shouldn't have a POV" shot which is now used and abused in every movie (including PJ's LOTR films).

Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:48 am

As much as I love the LOTR trilogy, i'm going with Raimi simply because of the huge influence his films have had on the new generation of filmmakers croping up right now. It seems like you can't watch a genre film anymore without it having several minutes of Raimi homage's. I mean, the man virtually invented the "POV of something we shouldn't have a POV" shot which is now used and abused in every movie (including PJ's LOTR films).

I'll definitely agree with you on this.. By the way, have you rented or purchased Spiderman II yet??

Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:43 am
Profile WWW
Veteran

My vote goes to Sam Raimi. I was not a huge fan of Spiderman 1 or 2 for that matter. I actually was really bored during both. But I am a huge Evil Dead fan, he made Bruce Campbell, Ash and for that he is like the coolest guy ever!!!! plus thewy a the coolest movies out there!!!! sorry i'm a huge Campbell fan!! and I grew up with Brisco country jr.

Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:11 am
Profile YIM WWW

My vote goes to Sam Raimi. I was not a huge fan of Spiderman 1 or 2 for that matter. I actually was really bored during both. But I am a huge Evil Dead fan, he made Bruce Campbell, Ash and for that he is like the coolest guy ever!!!! plus thewy a the coolest movies out there!!!! sorry i'm a huge Campbell fan!! and I grew up with Brisco country jr.

Right on.. I hear ya Baby!!

Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:33 am
Profile WWW
Veteran

even though I did not like the spiderman movies?

Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:39 am
Profile YIM WWW

BKB_The_Man wrote:

Grrrrr... The Spiderman movies were damn near perfect, especially the 2nd one which I will rent today if there are any copies left..

Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:09 am
Profile WWW
Veteran

Appy wrote:
BKB_The_Man wrote:

Grrrrr... The Spiderman movies were damn near perfect, especially the 2nd one which I will rent today if there are any copies left..

Well good luck rent hon i'm sure they are all out. I might be able to get the poster :lol:

Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:54 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:15 pm
Peter Jackson for me, though I feel A Simple Plan is a small scale masterpiece.

Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:18 pm
rustiphica

Peter Jackson for me, though

word ese.

Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:08 pm

BKB_The_Man wrote:
Appy wrote:
BKB_The_Man wrote:

Well good luck rent hon i'm sure they are all out. I might be able to get the poster :lol:

I did even better.. I went to Walmart and just bought it in Widescreen for 15.00 Dollars.. Spiderman II is definitely worth owning since for me, it might just be the BEST Superhero movie ever made.. I don't care what anyone says.. I couldn't find 1 flaw in this movie and it was practically PERFECT.. I know many of cynics might go out of their way to find every fault in a movie and if that's what you enjoy?? Then that's sad but I guess more power to those type of folks.. Not you Appy, but merely in general from some of the fanboy poster critiques I've seen of this film..

Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:21 am
Profile WWW
Veteran

I did even better.. I went to Walmart and just bought it in Widescreen for 15.00 Dollars.. Spiderman II is definitely worth owning since for me, it might just be the BEST Superhero movie ever made.. I don't care what anyone says.. I couldn't find 1 flaw in this movie and it was practically PERFECT.. I know many of cynics might go out of their way to find every fault in a movie and if that's what you enjoy?? Then that's sad but I guess more power to those type of folks.. Not you Appy, but merely in general from some of the fanboy poster critiques I've seen of this film..

I still say the only good part was campebell showing up for the 5 very cool minutes and then the rest of the movie was worthy of a nice long nap :D Don't look at me that way!!

Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:30 am
Profile YIM WWW
Grill

Ahmed Johnson wrote:
You work for Jackson????

SPILL!

THE!

BEANS!

MIIRRRRVVVOOOOOOORRRRRR

I don't work for him now! I worked for him as an extra...many times...in LOTR! Was a Elven Warrior, a Rider of Rohan, a Gondorian Soldier, a Corsair, and an Urûk Hai! I thought you knew? I posted a pic of me in Lothlòrien Elf Soldier battle gear!

A mate of mine, is actually an extra for him now in King Kong as one of the people in the crowd in the New York City Scene! She also was also in LOTR: TTT, as one of the women of Rohan! She also got a last minute call to be a Centaur in the Great Battle on the Narnia (TLTWTW) set! She said Karl Urban's favourite make-up artist from Zena did her centaur makeup! :)

I did not see that. Where is it again.

Fri Dec 03, 2004 10:12 pm
Veteran

Neither can be considered super directors till they can direct couple of hits that are NOT Spiderman/LOTR franchise movies. So the jury is still out on them.

Sam Raimi's style (SM 1 & 2) is boring. I liked Evil Dead though. PJ's movies (LOTR) had exceptional visuals.

For now PJ.

Sun Dec 05, 2004 2:26 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran

Mirûvor wrote:

I did not see that. Where is it again.

Here ya go: Mind you..it's a pretty bad pic of me though!! :roll:

'The stars in the sky...

In years.'

MOS

Mon Dec 06, 2004 1:52 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]