Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:08 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Smell Pocahontas 
Draughty

Post Smell Pocahontas
TOKYO (AFP) - Movie fans bored with hi-tech sound effects and graphics will soon be able to experience cinematic smells after a Japanese film distributor announced it is showing the world's first fragrant films.

Shochiku Co. said it would release "The New World," a historical drama starring Colin Farrell about the colonisation of New England, at two cinemas on Saturday with the newly developed computerised fragrance system.

The system has been developed by NTT Communications, part of telecom giant NTT. It will offer six kinds of aroma depending upon the scenes being shown.

Last year several cinemas in Japan produced the smell of chocolate for Tim Burton's version of "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory."

Naoko Yoshida, a spokeswoman for Shochiku, said: "This is the world's first trial to offer various kinds of scene-matching fragrances, which will make viewers feel as if they are really in a forest, for example, with the smell of the woods."

The six smells, which include forests and citrus, are released under cinemagoers' seats.

Tokyo's Salonpas Louvre Marunouchi, one of the two cinemas fitted with the system, will offer 33 "aroma premier seats" at 1,800 yen (15 dollars) each, the same price as other seats.

"Tickets for seats on the first day are selling well," said Kenjiro Beppu, a spokesman for the 470-seat cinema.

"We hope our viewers will enjoy not only the great scenes, but hear and smell the movie."

Shochiku will decide whether to continue the fragrance service after judging customer reactions.

A second cinema in Osaka will also offer the service.

This is a fun idea, I just hope if it comes over to the US that it isn't ever used for movies like SAW or Scary Movie 4. :tongue:

Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:42 pm
Profile WWW
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

Im particularly fond of Dumb and Dumber especially that diarehea scene. Would that be part of smellavision?

Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:22 pm
Extraordinary

Years ago, John Walters did a film sort of like that, where you got a scratch and sniff card which each ticket and would be prompted on the screen to scratch and sniff at various vile places.

I never saw the film and can't remember its name, but I thought it was a hilarious idea, and perfect for John Walters.

Not too sure I'd want it for a serious film, though.

Oh, wait, did you say "The New World"? Oh, that's OK then.

Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:24 pm
Profile WWW
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

Years ago, John Walters did a film sort of like that, where you got a scratch and sniff card which each ticket and would be prompted on the screen to scratch and sniff at various vile places.

I never saw the film and can't remember its name, but I thought it was a hilarious idea, and perfect for John Walters.

Can you imagine if he did it for Pink Flamingos. It would give new meaning to "eating shit"

Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:10 pm
Indiana Jones IV

Cool.. but it will need a high price to keep the clowns out...

Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:54 pm
Profile WWW
Christian's #1 Fan

They actually did that for Rugrats Go Wild as well.

Not that I saw that movie or anything. *cough*

Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:01 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]