Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 HDFA Ceremony (Would you vote in 90's Film Awards? POLL) 

Would you (given adequate time, and given all the categories included in the HDFA, as well as 2 added categories (Best Animated Film & Best Screenplay), honestly VOTE and CONTRIBUTE in both the nomination and winner process of a 90's Decade Film A
YES, the 90's decade rocks, I would most definately support this and vote for nominees and winners! 90%  90%  [ 19 ]
NO, I'm not interested / too much work. 10%  10%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 21

HDFA Ceremony (Would you vote in 90's Film Awards? POLL) 
Forum General

omg Kill Bill HAS to make it. It HASSS TO!

Top Anticipated 2009
1. Nine

Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:33 am
Forum General

I wonder if Crouching Tiger could make it (?)

Top Anticipated 2009
1. Nine

Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:34 am
The French Dutch Boy

Kill Bill Vol. 2

Finding Nemo

AND THAT IS IT!! Finally. I will organize nominees nicely (since I was scrambling to count 'em all just before this) and write up a nice blah blah blah bit for winner voting, and post up a new thread for that! Thanks for everyone who actually posted in this thread and prevented it from being just me posting. Hope you all enjoyed it, and hope to get a big turnout for winner voting!

Ciao.

PEACE, Mike.

Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:34 am
Some days I'm a super bitch

You go girls!! :)

Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:35 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

wow... actually surprised Kill Bill Volume 2 made it and not Volume 1 :huh:

Ah well. I can live with it though The Hours/Far From Heaven loss is a big hit :sad:

Top Anticipated 2009
1. Nine

Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:35 am
Hatchling

I don't like most of the nominees, but I'm not surprised. I'm happy for LOST IN TRANSLATION, REQUIEM FOR A DREAM, ETERNAL SUNSHINE, BEFORE SUNSET and GARDEN STATE.

But no Björk or I HEART HUCKABEES? :cry:

Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:40 am
Profile WWW
Top Poster

AND THAT IS IT!! Finally. I will organize nominees nicely (since I was scrambling to count 'em all just before this) and write up a nice blah blah blah bit for winner voting, and post up a new thread for that! Thanks for everyone who actually posted in this thread and prevented it from being just me posting. Hope you all enjoyed it, and hope to get a big turnout for winner voting!

Ciao.

PEACE, Mike.

Thanks Mike, great job with the counting and nominations ceremony!

Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:42 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

And great job, Mike! :)

Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:48 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Wow, awesome to see Julie Delpy and Before Sunset nominated. (I don't even think I nominated 'em... :sweat: )

Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:09 am
Squee

MikeQ. wrote:
3 more BEST FOREIGN FILM nominees:

Hero

OUCH!

Bad Education
Moolaade
Central Station
Life is Beautiful
Nowhere in Africa

aren't going to make it,

but a boring car-commercial stylized homage to fascism is.

:disgust:

Dont forget Twilight Samurai!! Unless you didnt like that movie. I did, however, a lot. (of course I didnt send in my nominations cause they would have taken me a looooong time, so I cant complain.)

:glare:

Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:13 am
Squee

:glare:

Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:14 am
College Boy Z

Solid nominations. I like the final turnout.

Great job, Mike.

:smile:

Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:41 am
The French Dutch Boy

Solid nominations. I like the final turnout.

Great job, Mike.

:smile:

Thanks Zing! Even though the nominees don't seem to be up your ally in terms of films? Heh. I hope there are some films you are glad did well in this, and you can root for. Oh wait, you love Kill Bill, don't you? Plenty to vote for there. :)

PEACE, Mike.

Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:44 am
Devil's Advocate

Yeah, great list. We really nailed it I think.

Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:45 am
Extraordinary

A few surprises and overall very solid lists.

Great job, Mike!

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:58 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Some of my favorites - Mulholland Dr., Road to Perdition, Spirited Away, The Emperor's New Groove, 21 Grams, Crouching Tiger - didn't make the final 10, but a lot did get some recognition elsewhere.

But no Bjork? :( And A Very Long Engagement? :(

But otherwise good noms. :)

Thanks, Mike.

Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:44 pm
Profile WWW
The French Dutch Boy

A few surprises and overall very solid lists.

Great job, Mike!

Thank you, xiayun.

PEACE, Mike.

Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:20 pm
Golfaholic

The choice seem okayish, but I'm somewhat disappointed that it is once more a copy and paste from the Oscar nominations. I guess most people scrolled for time reasons through the 25 nominations and picked their 10 favorites and didn't bother to check all movies released in that time span. Not many of my picks got through and I'm fairly dispoointed about some of them, for example In America being completely ignored or Master and Commander and Almost Famous (Hudson got the only nom which is also a copy from the Oscars).
Overall only 31 of my 105 nominations got picked. I guess I just don't have the best taste then :biggrin:

Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:27 am
The French Dutch Boy

The choice seem okayish, but I'm somewhat disappointed that it is once more a copy and paste from the Oscar nominations. I guess most people scrolled for time reasons through the 25 nominations and picked their 10 favorites and didn't bother to check all movies released in that time span. Not many of my picks got through and I'm fairly dispoointed about some of them, for example In America being completely ignored or Master and Commander and Almost Famous (Hudson got the only nom which is also a copy from the Oscars).
Overall only 31 of my 105 nominations got picked. I guess I just don't have the best taste then :biggrin:

Maybe I should make some little stipulation next time that only up to 5 of the nominees can also be Oscar nominees during their respective year. Haha. Or maybe, "each category must include at least 2 non-Oscar nominees". Heh. But then again, maybe a person truly believes the 10 best of a certain period were indeed recognized by the Oscars. We seem to give that organization a lot of credit. People are shocked by the Million Dollar Baby nominations for example (I don't think that movie deserves to be up there, but meh) but I know a LOT of people who LOVED that movie, so I'm not surprised. In any event, it got a lot of votes, so it is clearly in people's minds, over certain other Oscar films in the 2000's. My mother, for example, claimed it is the best movie she has ever seen. She was enormously affected after watching the movie, and she blabbed about it for days. The story made her very sad, and at the same time she enjoyed the female empowerment of it. I didn't feel quite the same way (in terms of level of love, though I still enjoyed the movie, definately) but I was happy to see a movie affect her so much that she was talking about it for days, and still watches now on DVD.

PEACE, Mike.

Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:08 pm
You must have big rats

Well, you see, this logic is fundamentally flawed, yet very typical of most people, maybe even of all people. You think that your choices are, of course, the best. Now a little fact would be that Master and Commander, for instance is very far away from an universally beloved movie. I would guess if we expanded the Best Picture category to 20 movies, M&C still wouldn't be among them.

HOWEVER, if it got picked, you could always say that people were copying the Oscars because M&C got a Best Picture nomination as well as nine other noms. But that of course wouldn't bother you then because it was your pick which then again would mean double standards ;)

Fact is that I am very convinced that people voted for what they genuinely thought was best. How on earth did Before Sunset get noms if people just scrolled through the Oscars? What about Kill Bill Vol. 2? I am very certain that the vast majority of voters have seen Almost Famous, M&C and In America and know of their existance. They do not, however, think that these movies are the best from the time span. This is not a question of bad/good taste, but personal preference and it always annoys me when people can't accept it as such.

If anything, these nominations are VERY far away from the Oscars. Kill Bill, Before Sunset, Finding Nemo, Memento, Requiem for a Dream, Eternal Sunshine as Best Pictures, c'mon! That shows it well. Movies like LOTR are entertainment favorites, of course they will ALWAYS end up on such lists. SIX of ten BP nomines here were not even nominated for Best Picture at the Oscars, yet you're saying people copied the Oscars while at the same time suggesting M&C (ten noms, two wins), Almost Famous (four noms, one win) and In America (three noms). So the three movies you have suggested above have been nominated for 17 Oscars and won three.

Now Let's take Eternal Sunshine (two noms, one win), Kill Bill Vol. 2 (zero noms), RFOD (one nom), Memento (two noms), Before Sunset (one nom) and Finding Nemo (four noms, one win). These six were nominated for 10 Oscars and won two.

Of course, you also won't complain about Lost in Translation which pretty much leads me to believe that your complaints lie in M$B's and ROTK's noms and the mere fact that your personal favorites were not nominated.

So who is picking the Oscar candidates here?

I am satisfied with the selection.

Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:43 pm
Profile WWW
Golfaholic

Of course, you also won't complain about Lost in Translation which pretty much leads me to believe that your complaints lie in M$B's and ROTK's noms and the mere fact that your personal favorites were not nominated.

I am not referring to any particular movie or category. It was an observation while scrolling through the nominees, especially in the acting categories

Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:42 pm
You must have big rats

Dr. Lecter wrote:

I am not referring to any particular movie or category. It was an observation while scrolling through the nominees, especially in the acting categories

What about the rest of my argument.

And the fact that it basically comes down to what people have LIKED. I am very sure those who have voted have seen a lot of stuff, otherwise they wouldn't have even bothered, so it's not like they were restricted by anything in their voting.

Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:48 pm
Profile WWW
The French Dutch Boy

I'm glad Dr. Lecter likes the selections. I think they are far and away really good, all things considered. If we had a lot of other certain posters voting, I think it would digressed into very mainstream picks, and we'd have a lot of complaints about how all big blockbusters are in the line-up. I think we have a relatively good mix of small and big, and some great choices, personally. There are things I don't like, but everyone has that. As a whole, I think we're darn good. I have 22 ballots so far, and the votes from glancing at all of the ballots appear to be really spread out, even in the Best Picture category. I think that goes to show that each film has support, and each film has love from people, and that's a great sign.

PEACE, Mike.

Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:56 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

Overall only 31 of my 105 nominations got picked. I guess I just don't have the best taste then

That's nothing. I only got 23 of mine in there. :ohmy:

And 10 of those were from Foreign Film and overall Actress. :blink:

I clearly have the worst taste on the board. :hahaha:

Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:04 pm
Golfaholic

And the fact that it basically comes down to what people have LIKED. I am very sure those who have voted have seen a lot of stuff, otherwise they wouldn't have even bothered, so it's not like they were restricted by anything in their voting.

Of course they have and the Best Picture and Foreign Language categories are perfectly fine by me. There are movies that I personally wouldn't have put on it, but it is a decent list. As said before, my complaint lies in the acting categories. Take for example Mytic River. IMHO the best performance in that movie was by Kevin Bacon, yet the nominations go to Penn and Robbins - like the Oscars. Meryl Streep in Adaptation and Marisa Tomei for In the Bedroom wouldn't have been gotten nominations without their Oscar nod, I'm fairly sure about that. Cast Away was one of the weaker performances by Tom Hanks. I would even go so far to say - although I deeply love Almost Famous - Kate Hudson doesn't belong on that list either, neither does Albert Finney as nice as his role was in Erin Brockovich.

Am I upset that my choices didn't get in? Of course. If you put a few hours in your ballot like most of us did, you wanna get your picks in. It is too sad that many good performances are forgotten and I partly blame the missing Oscar noms for it. It is a disadvantage on those retrospective lists, you can't deny that. And just to let ou know which omissions I am sad about so you can bash me for my taste...

George Clooney (O Brother...)
William H. Macy (The Cooler)
Rachel McAdams (The Notebook)
Samantha Morton (In America)
Joan Allen (The Contender)
Robert Duvall (Open Range)
Alec Baldwin (The Cooler)
Ray Liotta (Narc)
Maria Bello (The Cooler, yes there's a pattern here. Best all around acting in a long time in this movie)
Alfred Molina (Frida)

Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next