Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 LOTR: ROTK (EE-DVD) 
Forum General

I got choked up just watching that preview.
Man, this is going to be great.
I'm going to have to watch it alone, though. I can't let people see me cry.

Well it comes out Friday next week here in Australia.......i'm going to buy it early and set aside the whole afternoon to watch it........

I have not seen ROTK in the past month or so, just so that the EE can... in some ways be totally surprising...... :twisted: ....stupid huh? :roll:

BTW i'm still deciding how i'm going to plan my DVD viewing experience next week.........Harry Potter 3 actually comes out today......but i don't think i'll be able to buy it until next week.......Matrix Collectors Edition comes out on Tuesday......10 Discs........and then on Friday.....ROTK EE......

Someone help me......i don't know where to start, HP3, Matrix, ROTK..... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I surrender who I've been for who you are
Nothing makes me stronger than your fragile heart
If I had only felt how it feels to be yours
I would have known what I've been living for all along
What I've been living for

Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:04 pm
Veteran

I got choked up just watching that preview.
Man, this is going to be great.
I'm going to have to watch it alone, though. I can't let people see me cry.

LOL...that makes two of us...possibly three with Arch on board! I freely admit that I weep like a newborn baby at the beauty of this film (these films)! The music is so fitting, the emotions so stretched, the quest so dire...argghhh! I think I am going to overload when I see the EE! But, you are right NCAR...I'll never let anyone see me cry! You should have seen me in the cinema on opening day... :lol:!! *sniff**sniff*

'The stars in the sky...
Bring tears to my eyes...
They're lighting my way... tonight.

And I haven't felt so alive..
In years.'

MOS

Last edited by Miruvor on Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:30 am
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

was

EXCELLENT :x

MMMMMUURRRGGHHHHH

Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:37 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

http://www.rotk-see.de.vu/

Checkout the Above link.......it has some great screencaps..... :D

Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:05 am
Forum General

More on the EE: Clarifying Robert's Review

Tehanu @ 4:04 pm EST
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/8/1101935052

**SPOILERS AT LINK**

Warren wrote in to tell us about the Extended DVD and also to respond to Robert's review which we posted yesterday:

"Hello, since I saw the ROTK EE last night, I though I'd throw my two cents in. First, for all those in NYC, you can purchase the ROTK EE DVD at a video store on the corner of 40th St. and 8th Ave. (across from the Port Authority south building). Take the stairs down leading to the subway and the store is right there (Warning! Lots of adult titles as well). Price is $39.99.

"Also, in terms of Easter Eggs, there are two (both in the same places as in the FOTR EE version). On the first disc we have the interview with Dominic Monaghan and Elijah Wood via satelitle, with Dom pretending to be a German journalist and asking Elijah outrageous questions. Very funny. On the second disc, we find the clip from the MTV movies awards where VinceVaugh and Ben Stiller pitch a Lord of the Rings sequel to PJ. Hysterical!

"Now, onto the extended/new scenes. Note I've only commented on a number of them since it's too difficult to recall everything that clearly (I was up until 3AM watching). Still here goes..." [From here, I've left Robert's review as is, and put Warren's comments in quote marks - Tehanu]

Thu Dec 02, 2004 2:55 am
Forum General

REVIEW: Details, but do they make it better?

December 2, 2004
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/12/ ... click=true

Improving on almost universal acclaim is like carrying a powerful ring across dangerous territory to a distant mountain. Director Peter Jackson has tried just that - aiming for a more complete version of one of the highest-grossing movies in cinema history by adding 48 minutes to The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King.

Most filmmakers would move on satisfied after completing the epic trilogy so triumphantly. But before shooting King Kong, Jackson extended the three-hour 21-minute version that screened in cinemas last summer and won a record 11 Oscars.

While a planned cinema release has slipped off the schedule, the extended edition is being released on DVD next week. It is bound to be as popular as fireworks at a hobbit's party. But the new version raises significant questions for filmmakers taking their releases to the booming home entertainment market: is it a chance to shoot for a higher artistic achievement or just a marketing device to sell the movie again to its fans?

How does the new content improve on the original? Does it even detract from the movie by adding unnecessary scenes because they are spectacular or an actor was disappointed by the previous cut?

-----

The The Return of the King is still a magnificent achievement but the extended edition is less satisfying than the longer versions of the two earlier instalments, The Fellowship of the Ring and The Two Towers, which added depth and richness by providing more story for the powerful elf Galadriel (Cate Blanchett) and more comic byplay between the hobbits.

Passionate fans will want more of the trilogy. Others will not miss much if they stick with the cinema version.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

You know what, for some reason all the reviews we've seen so far have in some ways said that the extra scenes has pulled this DVD down......where's all the love.... :cry: .......is it really that bad compared to the other two EE's?.....

Argh, Is PJ biting more than he can chew......is this blowing the ballon to far that it has exploded..... :?

I'm really saddened by the reviews coming out..... :cry:

Thu Dec 02, 2004 2:59 am
Forum General

Senator picks up German rights to Rings parody

Martin Blaney in Berlin 02 December 2004 04:00
http://www.screendaily.com/story.asp?storyid=20161

Germany's Senator Film Verleih has picked up the German rights for the Swiss Lord Of The Rings parody, The Ring Thing, ahead of its world premiere in German-speaking Switzerland by the local outpost of Buena Vista International (BVI) on December 16.

According to the film's producer Kristian Widmer of Condor Communications, which produced the film with the Elevator Group, BVI are planning to launch The Ring Thing "on a similar scale" to its 2003 local release Achtung, Fertig, Charlie!, which went on to clock up over 529,000 admissions.

The film, which is directed by Marc Schippert and scripted by Good Bye, Lenin! co-author Christoph Silber, is expected to be released by Senator in the first half of 2005.

The Ring Thing features an all-Swiss cast with Edward Piccin as an unassuming bank clerk called Freddy, who is mistaken for the Hobbit Friedo when he unexpectedly lands in Middle Earth.

---------

So it's not goodbye afterall.........i can't wait to see how this does at the box-office........ :twisted:

Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:00 am
Indiana Jones IV

Buck up, Arch. :D I don't share the attitude of these reviewers. They have short attention spans and probably don't have the patience to read the book, much less become a book fan. These are the folks that wanted the movie to end at the Coronation, remember? I think they're just reacting to the sheer length of the movie.

And don't they want to see all the holes in the theatrical version filled in?

Fri Dec 03, 2004 2:38 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Buck up, Arch. :D I don't share the attitude of these reviewers. They have short attention spans and probably don't have the patience to read the book, much less become a book fan. These are the folks that wanted the movie to end at the Coronation, remember? I think they're just reacting to the sheer length of the movie.

And don't they want to see all the holes in the theatrical version filled in?

Yes, i feel better now.......i'm trying to not let them affect me too much because i want to see it for myself......and i'm eagerly anticipating all the brand new scenes......

Sat Dec 04, 2004 12:00 am
Cream of the Crop

Any attempts to manufacture a

BACKLASH

Against LOTR

shall

FALL

On deaf ears :)

Sat Dec 04, 2004 7:36 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Tolkien has us spellbound

http://www.theage.com.au/ffxmedia/2004/12/05/6top10.jpg

By Jason Steger
Literary Editor
December 6, 2004
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/ ... 55661.html

When the first volume of J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings was published 50 years ago, 3000 copies were printed. Since then millions have relished the epic adventures of Frodo Baggins and friends on their journey across Middle-earth to thwart the dark lord Sauron.

The book's enduring popularity was confirmed last night when The Lord of the Rings was named Australia's "favourite read" on ABC TV, its third victory in TV polls. It won in Britain and Germany.

--

According to the ABC, which is not releasing precise figures, "tens of thousands" voted online between September 1 and October 22, nominating 5000 titles.

In Britain, 750,000 voted from a final list of 21 novels, with 174,000 plumping for The Lord of the Rings. In Germany about 250,000 voted in the poll that included both fiction and non-fiction.

--

According to associate professor Ken Gelder, reader in English at The University of Melbourne, the poll shows two things. "Really popular books are global and the fact is that Australian writers haven't written anything that resonates as intensely as something like The Lord of the Rings."

:cry:
Too bad i missed it yesterday when it was shown on TV.......sigh :D

------------

1) Lord Of The Rings (J.R.R. Tolkien)
2) Pride & Prejudice (Jane Austen)
3) The Bible
4) To Kill A Mockingbird (Harper Lee)
5) Cloudstreet (Tim Winton)
6) Harry Potter 5: Order of the Phoenix (JK Rowling)
7) Nineteen Eighty Four (George Onwell)
8) The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Douglas Adams)
9) The DaVinci Code (Dan Brown) & Catch-22 (Joseph Heller)
10) A Fortunate Life (A.B.Facey)

15) Harry Potter 3: Prisoner of Azakaban (JK Rowling)
18) The Lion the Witch & The Wardrobe (CS Lewis)

26) The Hobbit (J.R.R. Tolkien)
36) Harry Potter 4: Goblet of Fire (JK Rowling)
41) Gone With The Wind (Margeret Mitchell)

For the Top 50, visit the link.....

Sun Dec 05, 2004 9:05 pm
Forum General

HERE's what i bought today............. :D :D :D :D

+

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Must watch the PRECIOUS!!!!!! NOW!!!!!!!!!........see you soon folks :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Thu Dec 09, 2004 9:51 pm
Forum General

I've been waiting a whole year for this and with every trailer, with every new image.....my heart yearns for the DVD.....

It is the most important movie release for me this year, above all others and it has delivered in every way.....

Your anticipation and worry will be rewarded with quite possibly and IMO...the best EE out of the Trilogy, very fitting for the final part and best chapter in the Trilogy.......but would you really expect any less.

Unlike FOTR or the TTT EE's the changes are not made to the beginning nor the end......they are scattered evenly and delicately amongst all the theatrical scenes.....ok, maybe the Orthanc sequence counts as the beginning......but you get what i'm trying to say......

There are many many wonderful little scenes which fit so well into the existing theatrical scenes and really embelish the trilogy, giving it a bit more heart and humour.

For example, there's a short little exchange between Aragorn and Merry just when Pippin left with Gandalf for Minas Tirith, i cried in this scene because it really portrays the bond which the two (M&P) have and how they have never been apart.....

The new major scenes are fantastic, starting with the Voice of Saruman to the Mouth of Sauron....all of them very well executed,,,,,

But it is the Houses of Healing which is the real surprise for me. I was expecting some dialogue......but what i got was so much better......an excellently crafted sequence with a whole new song....which i believe is right up there with Evenstar and Twilight & Shadow....it's ethereal sung in Elvish/Westron(English) and the tune is nothing we've heard before...........I WANT THE EXTENDED EDITION SOUNDTRACK NOW!!!!!!!! :twisted: :twisted:

Characters who really get to shine here are definately Aragorn, Eowyn, Faramir and Denethor......no question. I particularly enjoyed Eowyn and Faramir's exchanges.....especially there scenes during the Houses of Healing when they pass subtle glances of interest......very cute......the fan girls (and guys too) will go to the moon with this one :D

One scene which is quite weird (for me) is the Mouth Of Sauron sequence......his accent is quite weird and the way he talks or expresses himself is even weirder......perhaps i don't know the character too well to really understand why he does what he does.....hmmm....

I don't need to be talking about the technical transfers of this edition because past EE's speak for this.......it is utterly superb as usual....

And finally......i just had to do it.... :twisted:

A++++++++++++++++++++++++

Behold, the best LOTR movie ever....... :twisted:

Fri Dec 10, 2004 3:37 am
Angels & Demons

I envy you. I must wait until Christmas. :cry:
I've already got my one early Christmas present (West Wing Season 3).

No representation is made opinions expressed are better than others. MSRP. WAC. Limited Time. Some Restrictions Apply. All Rights Reserved. Not FDA approved. Results not typical. Close cover before striking. Mileage may vary. Void where prohibited.

Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:23 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran

My preciousss still has not arrived!! We wants it...we needs it...mustss haves the precious..now!! Arghhhhhhhhh!! Image

I've actually seen bits of the EE online..such as the Voice of Saruman and also The Mouth of Sauron! Really good...and I'm super psyched!! :D

'The stars in the sky...

In years.'

MOS

Sat Dec 11, 2004 12:26 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

'LOTR' stars return for 'The Hobbit'?

Saturday, December 11 2004, 09:16 GMT -- by Daniel Saney
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds17576.html

Stars of Peter Jackson's The Lord of the Rings have promisde the director that they will take part in his version of The Hobbit if such a venture were to go ahead.

Following hints from Jackson that he might want to make an adaptation of The Hobbit, Tolkein's story that precedes The Lord of the Rings, the actors are now enthusiastically encouraging the idea.

Billy Boyd, the actor who played Pippin, said: "People want it so much. There was talk of us playing our characters' relatives. I'm sure we'd all make ourselves free for that."

Sat Dec 11, 2004 6:42 am
Forum General

My preciousss still has not arrived!! We wants it...we needs it...mustss haves the precious..now!! Arghhhhhhhhh!! Image

I've actually seen bits of the EE online..such as the Voice of Saruman and also The Mouth of Sauron! Really good...and I'm super psyched!! :D

Patience my love.....you will be rewarded.... :P

Sat Dec 11, 2004 6:44 am
Veteran

I so hope this is true precious..... :D

Stars of Peter Jackson's The Lord of the Rings have promisde the director that they will take part in his version of The Hobbit if such a venture were to go ahead.

Following hints from Jackson that he might want to make an adaptation of The Hobbit, Tolkein's story that precedes The Lord of the Rings, the actors are now enthusiastically encouraging the idea.

Billy Boyd, the actor who played Pippin, said: "People want it so much. There was talk of us playing our characters' relatives. I'm sure we'd all make ourselves free for that."

Crik..good stuff indeed if rumour be true! The only thing I'd want is someone else..perhaps an unknown to play Bilbo...I feel Sir Ian Holm (no real discourse to him..bless him) is far too old to play a young Hobbit at his peak. :?

'The stars in the sky...

In years.'

MOS

Sat Dec 11, 2004 6:51 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

~~~Archangel~~~ wrote:
I so hope this is true precious..... :D

Crik..good stuff indeed if rumour be true! The only thing I'd want is someone else..perhaps an unknown to play Bilbo...I feel Sir Ian Holm (no real discourse to him..bless him) is far too old to play a young Hobbit at his peak. :?

Bilbo casting will be crucial......especially when Sir Ian Holm did so well as the old Bilbo....we need someone that looks like him only younger.... :P

Sat Dec 11, 2004 6:58 am
Veteran

Bilbo casting will be crucial......especially when Sir Ian Holm did so well as the old Bilbo....we need someone that looks like him only younger.... :P

So you do agree with me? I was thinking the same thing! Someone who can be on par with his acting abilities and nail the character! Looking like a younger Sir Ian H. wouldn't hurt at all either!

Wonder who will play King Thranduil?

'The stars in the sky...

In years.'

MOS

Sat Dec 11, 2004 7:04 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

~~~Archangel~~~ wrote:

So you do agree with me? I was thinking the same thing! Someone who can be on par with his acting abilities and nail the character! Looking like a younger Sir Ian H. wouldn't hurt at all either!

Orlando Bloom :wink:

Sat Dec 11, 2004 7:06 am
Veteran

Mirûvor wrote:
~~~Archangel~~~ wrote:

Nooo...I was hoping for another unknown! :? Orli..would just make us feel like we were looking at Prince Legolas all over again! You want some resemblence, but not total!!

'The stars in the sky...

In years.'

MOS

Sat Dec 11, 2004 7:08 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

~~~Archangel~~~ wrote:
Mirûvor wrote:
~~~Archangel~~~ wrote:

Nooo...I was hoping for another unknown! :? Orli..would just make us feel like we were looking at Prince Legolas all over again! You want some resemblence, but not total!!

Well not if you put a beard on his face and give him a totally grand cloak such as those worn by Elrond.... :wink: .....afterall, Legloas is his son......like father like son..... :wink:

Sat Dec 11, 2004 7:12 am
Veteran

Well not if you put a beard on his face and give him a totally grand cloak such as those worn by Elrond.... :wink: .....afterall, Legloas is his son......like father like son..... :wink:

Beard? :shock: Thranduil was never described as having a beard to my knowledge! From descriptions of the Elves in the Simirillion, LOTR, The Hobbit, etc. , the Elves don't do facial hair...lol

I really think an unknown would be better here as well. As much as I adore LOTR, I don't think people will want a re-hash of the trilogy! They'll want something fresh yet familiar! :P

'The stars in the sky...

In years.'

MOS

Sat Dec 11, 2004 7:17 am
Profile WWW
Veteran

My preciousss has come! At last...it is here! Got is Sat. eve.
:D
Only one prob! Today is Monday and it still sits unopened on my table! :shock:

It is so preciousss to my..my sweetness, my love!

Minas Tirith is beauoooooooooooooooo---tiful! I don't want to open it now! :cry:

I may just have to go out and buy a regular EE package without the collector's mighty gift! :?

'The stars in the sky...

In years.'

MOS

Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:15 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next