Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:08 am

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 
 Discuss all of the GREAT MOVIE SERIES. Like LOTR and others! 

IS LORD OF THE RINGS THE GREATEST MOVIE SERIES EVER
YES 50%  50%  [ 8 ]
NO 50%  50%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 16

Discuss all of the GREAT MOVIE SERIES. Like LOTR and others! 
Forum General

Location: TOP*SECRET ******************** ******************** ******************** ********************
Post Discuss all of the GREAT MOVIE SERIES. Like LOTR and others!
Which is the GREATEST Movie Series Ever. Discuss away.

And which movies series were great until ruined by lesser great ones.

Here are some examples.

Star Wars 1-3 Only
Star Wars 1-5 Total
Lord of the Rings
Harry Potter
Matrix
Indiana Jones
Back to the Future
Jurassic Park
Terminator
Godfather
ETC.

Last edited by Goldie on Wed Nov 03, 2004 12:00 am, edited 3 times in total.

Mon Nov 01, 2004 1:33 am
Profile WWW
Veteran

I don't think to be fair one can really judge LOTR as three separate films! It is one film broken into three parts as are the books! To pass judgement on them without looking at it as one entity, would not place it in the same league as other films or sequels! It is especially more cohesive when viewing the EE as many have witnessed and stated!

All in all, it is my favourite of all current films released within the last decade!

'The stars in the sky...
Bring tears to my eyes...
They're lighting my way... tonight.

And I haven't felt so alive..
In years.'

MOS

Mon Nov 01, 2004 1:45 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Location: TOP*SECRET ******************** ******************** ******************** ********************
I don't think to be fair one can really judge LOTR as three separate films! It is one film broken into three parts as are the books! To pass judgement on them without looking at it as one entity, would not place it in the same league as other films or sequels! It is especially more cohesive when viewing the EE as many have witnessed and stated!

All in all, it is my favourite of all current films released within the last decade!

But what would have happened if one of the 3 movies would have been done badly. Say if The Two Towers was a trainwreck, then it wouldn't still be considered great. Even if it seems to be one continuous movie, they still had to get 3 great movies onto the screen.

Mon Nov 01, 2004 1:51 am
Profile WWW
Veteran

But what would have happened if one of the 3 movies would have been done badly. Say if The Two Towers was a trainwreck, then it wouldn't still be considered great. Even if it seems to be one continuous movie, they still had to get 3 great movies onto the screen.

Yes, tis true that they had to get three films on the screen to be truly on par with the books, but it was done with quality. Though not an exact match because it is an adaption, it is still, in my word, the best effort given to any film in this genre. The alternative would have been disasterous! I perish that thought!

I see it as one continuous film and as you say, had The Two Towers be a letdown, I don't think it would have effected my overall judgement as a great film by much! One lesser part does not summarize the whole, albiet that the whole is a worthy triumph! With the dedication and time given to LOTR however, that would have been highly unlikely especially when viewing the EE versions, to which I implore everyone to do!

I am not saying that LOTR is the greatest thing ever for everyone, it certainly isn't, but personally it is one of my favourite films of ALL TIME!

Ta!

'The stars in the sky...
Bring tears to my eyes...
They're lighting my way... tonight.

And I haven't felt so alive..
In years.'

MOS

Mon Nov 01, 2004 2:00 am
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

separate variations on this topic by now

GOLDIE

YOU ARE SLIPPING :lol: :)

Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:12 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

The greatest movie series is Rocky, followed by Rambo. Those are the only two which can be ranked, the others, that i'll list in a minute are all basically the same; Die Hard, Terminator, LOTR, Matrix, Lethal Weapon, Beverly Hills Cop, Mad Max.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:02 pm
Profile WWW
The Incredible Hulk

There is a poll at BOM with some of the trilogies mentioned here... Interestingly, LOTR is winning hands down:

What's the best TRILOGY?

46.7% Lord of the Rings
28.0% Star Wars (original)
7.7% Godfather
7.6% Indiana Jones
5.4% Matrix
4.7% Back to the Future

(2,319 users polled.)

Here is the link (it's in the POLLS --> CURRENT POLLS section, so you can still vote on it... Scroll down... :wink: :wink: :wink: ):

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/polls/?page=current&p=.htm

Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:17 pm
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

IMO, the LOTR series doesn't even come close to the original Star Wars trilogy and the Indiana Jones trilogy.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:22 pm
Profile WWW
The Incredible Hulk

IMO, the LOTR series doesn't even come close to the original Star Wars trilogy and the Indiana Jones trilogy.

I think in lot of ways, LOTR has the benefit of being "the latest greatest" trilogy and many are simply discounting Star Wars and Indy series because it was soooo long ago and doesn't seem to be as revolutionary to current moviegoers, esp. the younger ones, as the more recent LOTR series... :wink:

Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:25 pm
Profile WWW
Horror Hound

I think SCREAM is the best movie series ever.

I know it's different from the usual MATRIX, LOTR, STAR WARS. But i love it, so.....whatever.

Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:27 pm
Top Poster

Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:02 pm
Extraordinary

Of the the movie series ive seen LOTR is the best IMO.

Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:44 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mon Nov 01, 2004 11:52 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

At least, there is some opinions both ways as LOTR vs every other sequal. Right now it is 7 to 7. I wonder what other one could do as well.

Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:03 am
Profile WWW
Teenage Dream

I'm normally not real big on the whole trilogy thing, as most of the time the films just get worse as they progress. However, the Indiana Jones trilogy and the LOTR trilogy are two examples of the finest filmmaking we've ever seen. I give the nudge to IJ, as they're simply the most entertaining films ever made.

Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:06 am
Forum General

I'm normally not real big on the whole trilogy thing, as most of the time the films just get worse as they progress. However, the Indiana Jones trilogy and the LOTR trilogy are two examples of the finest filmmaking we've ever seen. I give the nudge to IJ, as they're simply the most entertaining films ever made.

On IJ, I loved 1 & 3 but on 2, not so much, but maybe my expectations were too high after loving 1.

Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:10 am
Profile WWW
Teenage Dream

makeshift_wings wrote:

On IJ, I loved 1 & 3 but on 2, not so much, but maybe my expectations were too high after loving 1.

Temple Of Doom is my favorite. :oops:

Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:11 am
Lord of filth

Lord of the Rings does not exist without its influences, Back to the Future does not exist without Spielberg, Spielberg would be lessened without Indiana Jones, Indiana Jones would never have made it to screen without Star Wars.

Why pit them against each other? They are all part of the same cycle of great entertainment.

However, one of the best series ever created which isn't listed is Kieslowski's Three Colors trilogy.

Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:13 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Goldie wrote:
makeshift_wings wrote:

Temple Of Doom is my favorite. :oops:

I will have to go back and rewatch that one.

Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:19 am
Profile WWW
Angels & Demons

that is really tough. Pre-LOTR I would say hands down Indiana Jones. Then I saw the trilogy, and became conflicted. I have to force myself a bit to go and watch some sci-fi/fantasy stuff, as it isn't my natural choice. So I'm faced with a new sort of fascination (LOTR) versus a series that was just flat out enjoyable (IJ).

FOTR = C+
TTT = B
ROTK= A

vs.

TOD = A
ROLA= C+
LC = B+

edge goes just barely to IJ.. but dont quote me on it :)

Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:30 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

Lord of the Rings is #2 for me. The Matrix is the best series in my book.

Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:34 pm
Forum General

I think SCREAM is the best movie series ever.

I know it's different from the usual MATRIX, LOTR, STAR WARS. But i love it, so.....whatever.

Unusual but good. Nothing wrong with that.

Sun Nov 21, 2004 9:22 am
Profile WWW
now we know

If you want a class-act of a series to watch, then watch Rambo or Rocky series, you will not be dissapointed ;)

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Nov 21, 2004 7:09 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]