Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Mr. & Mrs. Smith (2005) 

What grade would you give this film?
A 30%  30%  [ 16 ]
B 48%  48%  [ 26 ]
C 13%  13%  [ 7 ]
D 6%  6%  [ 3 ]
F 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 54

Mr. & Mrs. Smith (2005) 
College Boy Z

Post Mr. & Mrs. Smith (2005)
Mr. & Mrs. Smith

Quote:
Mr. & Mrs. Smith is a 2005 American romantic action comedy film, directed by Doug Liman and written by Simon Kinberg. The original music score was composed by John Powell. The film stars Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie as a bored married couple who learn that they are both assassins hired by competing agencies to kill each other.

Last edited by zingy on Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:07 pm
Teenage Dream

I am seeing this sometime this weekend. It looks great.

Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:32 pm
Forum General

Looks like a decent, fun time at the movies. I definetely don't see myself loving it but I will go see it this weekend, probably on Sunday.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:53 am
Profile YIM WWW
The Original

It was just ok. To long for its story. You could easy 30 Min cut.
Some nice jokes
I give 6/10

Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:58 am
---------

I saw it today and it was great! It is one of those movies that you have to see in the theater! The first hour is brilliant, but the second half seemed a little stretched. And the ending confused me a bit... spoiler: Why do they stop pursuing the Smiths? The whole story is a bit impossible, but it is fun nevertheless. Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie give their best performances that I've ever seen them give.

Grade: B+

Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:21 pm
Mod Team Leader

Very disappointed. It had it's moments of fun and it had more than it's share of lethargy. I agree that there could of been about 15-20 minutes cut out of it. The pace would have improved and it would have felt faster. As for Jolie and Pitt, I didn't really feel that much between them. They are both good looking people, but the whole sparks thing...just didn't do it for me. Vince Vaughn was funny, as usual, but overall, like I said, it was a bit disappointing.

6/10

Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:47 pm
Profile WWW
WOW. I shouldn't be surprised how good the film was since Liman has yet to make a bad one. Jolie and Pitt were great (perfect cameo by Vince), the morning after never seemed so strange and funny.

Action was really good, though not great. And considering it's being billed as an action film, it's not wall to wall. There's a very funny bit involving a minivan. And the fight in the house was incredible. The script is the worst part of the film, I'm curious how much of it was doctored since there are moments of brilliance amoung the crap. It's very uneven.

The final 20 minutes or so don't work as well as the rest of the film. Since it's the last thing you remember, the film gets an

A-

Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:25 pm
Mr. and Mrs. Smith

Mr. and Mrs. Smith is just what Summer 2005 needs: a kick-ass action movie that blends humor, suspense and romance seamlessly. The movie works perfectly, with two charismatic lead actors, a well-written script, more laughs than pretty much any other comedy this year, and excellent direction all-around. Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt make the most memorable on-screen couple in a very long time. Despite a PG-13 rating, the action doesn't hold back, and the brawl the Smith's have at their home is more than proof of this. In short, the movie lived up to my expectations and therefore it deserves an

A+

Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:35 pm
Profile WWW
---------

Here's another thing that bothered me even though I loved the movie: Pitt and Jolie's inability to get hurt during battle, and guards/snipers getting knocked out with a single nudge. This plagues a lot of movies, so it's not really a big deal, it just gets annoying sometimes. :-k

Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:42 pm
Indiana Jones IV

Wow wasn't expecting this movie to be this good. I was expecting cheap special F/X and horrible dialogue and acting but it belw me away. 9/10...Just what the summer needs. This movie was awesome

Liberalism is a Mental Disorder - BUY THE BOOK NOW!!! On New York Times Best Seller List 9 Weeks in a Row

Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:44 pm
Profile WWW
Here's another thing that bothered me even though I loved the movie: Pitt and Jolie's inability to get hurt during battle, and guards/snipers getting knocked out with a single nudge. This plagues a lot of movies, so it's not really a big deal, it just gets annoying sometimes. :-k

Considering they were at a huge disadvantage during the final shootout, it bothered me that they weren't killed.

Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:44 pm
---------

MG Casey wrote:

Considering they were at a huge disadvantage during the final shootout, it bothered me that they weren't killed.

Yeah, me too. Those snipers were most likely shooting a bullet, then eating a Subway sandwich to pass the time. Why were the shooters even running around? They could just hide and shoot. And they never heard of headshots?

Oh well... it was still entertaining if you can get past its believability.

Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:47 pm
Team Kris

Wow. This movie defines everything I love about a summer blockbuster. Non-stop action mixed in with great comedy make this one of the best movies of the year. Brad and Angelina have amazing chemistry and it felt like they were enjoying themselves on screen. If I didn't know better, I'd say this was a Bruckheimer film cause it sure felt like it.

A

Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:06 pm
Profile WWW
Kypade

The first half or so, up until about the car ride (race) home was brilliant, easy A material. But then it dropped off and slowly but surely declined steadily. It just became far too dragging and repetitive. It picked up a bit towards the end, though. Much better than l thought it would be. B+

Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:08 pm
Indiana Jones IV

I thought everything up until the botched hit was either uneventful (how they hooked up) or unexciting (the hits they do separately). However, from the dinner table scene on, it was a pretty damn entertaining movie. Pitt and Jolie have a great chemistry, are both gorgeous (especially Jolie :wink: ) and fit these action-oriented roles wonderfully. There are some nicely staged action sequences, including a very memorable domestic "dispute" between husband and wife :box2: , a pretty inventive car chase that is unfortunately hampered by some unfunny bickering between the leads and a final exciting, over-the-top shootout.

The film could have done without the Vince Vaughn character completely. In all of his scenes he talks super fast and tries to yuck it up, but fails everytime #-o .

In the end the film is saved by its charasmatic leads, occasionally funny dialogue and dandy action set-pieces.

Oh, and there is something about seeing Angelina in a business suit and glasses, rockin two hand-guns that really gets me to the core :wub: .

B-

Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:50 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Not what I expected.. honestly, I was a little dissapointed. The plot lacked, the ending wasn't very satisfying, the shoot-outs (especially the last one) were very unrealistic, and too many questions (atleast for me) were left unanswered. I also felt it started out a little slow before it picked up and found a stride to hold. It was enjoyable, don't get me wrong, but I think my expectations were too high.

For me, the best part of the movie was Brad Pitt. And no, not because he's gorgeous (which he is). He just had me laughing the whole time. He had the greatest lines, and consistantly had me laughing. For instance, the parts of the movie I remember most vividly is when he's pressed up against the car shouting, "We've got to talk!" to Angelina, or when he goes underneath his shed and sees all his guns missing, and comes back up, and starts punching at the air. Or when Angelina slams her car into him and he makes that noise. And when Angelina throws the knife into his legs and he just narrows his eyes at her and is like, "We'll talk about this later." I was just looking forward to every word that would come out of his mouth, hoping for another laugh. Without him in the movie, I don't know if I would have enjoyed it as much.

Angelina was good, too. I really don't like her at all, but in this movie, she didn't annoy me. She did a good job with her role. And, as much as I don't want to admit it, her and Brad Pitt had a lot of chemistry, which I think is another thing that made the movie just a little more better than it should have been.

Vince Vaughn, in his limited role, was also hysterical, which isn't something surprising at all. He always makes me crack up.

On a whole, the movie was one of those popcorn summer movies that you watch just to have a good time. And it definately does provide that.

Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:33 pm
Profile WWW
Hot Fuss

Sounds like a typical action flick. But was there atleast some pretty 'splosions? Nice, unrealistic popcorn action scenes? *sniff* I haven't had enough cheese in my diet since I OD'ed on Charlies Angels 2.

Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:55 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Angels & Demons

It was good movie, started out slow, but once they realized who they really were the middle sizzled. The last half could have been better though, I think they really cut that part down or something. It's wasn't really resloved and it left you going Huh? Did they punish their bosses, are they on the lame, what? The last scene in the couselors office was funny though, lol.

Pitt had the best lines and scenes, he was just goofy through out. Jolie was hot, and fun and kickass. Loved how she resloved the car chase and takes charge.

I give it a B, needed a better last half.

Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:00 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Indiana Jones IV

It was good movie, started out slow, but once they realized who they really were the middle sizzled. The last half could have been better though, I think they really cut that part down or something. It's wasn't really resloved and it left you going Huh? Did they punish their bosses, are they on the lame, what? The last scene in the couselors office was funny though, lol.

Pitt had the best lines and scenes, he was just goofy through out. Jolie was hot, and fun and kickass. Loved how she resloved the car chase and takes charge.

I give it a B, needed a better last half.

I agree. Pitt had the best lines. The way it ended, in the conselors office, with Pitt going, "Ask us the sex question" then flashing ten fingers and mouthing ten was funny. Just one of his many funny lines. But, like you said, it dragged in the start and the ending just wasn't good enough.

Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:03 am
Profile WWW
Veteran

Just out of curiousity, what part does Angela Bassett play? A small one, I guess.

Sat Jun 11, 2005 3:57 am
Profile WWW
Just out of curiousity, what part does Angela Bassett play? A small one, I guess.

Beyond small, she has 2 or 3 lines via voice over. Technically most people won't even know it's her. She's communicating on a scrambled computer screen, so you can slightly make out the outline of her face.

Sat Jun 11, 2005 7:32 am
Veteran

Atoddr wrote:

Beyond small, she has 2 or 3 lines via voice over. Technically most people won't even know it's her. She's communicating on a scrambled computer screen, so you can slightly make out the outline of her face.

Too bad. Hollywood really needs to give her something good to do. She's such a great actress.

Sat Jun 11, 2005 7:47 am
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon wrote:
Atoddr wrote:

Too bad. Hollywood really needs to give her something good to do. She's such a great actress.

She's done incredible work in the past. I understand her role, along with Keith David was heavily edited so hopefully she'll pop up on the dvd.

Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:07 am
Confessing on a Dance Floor

Wow. This movie defines everything I love about a summer blockbuster. Non-stop action mixed in with great comedy make this one of the best movies of the year. Brad and Angelina have amazing chemistry and it felt like they were enjoying themselves on screen. If I didn't know better, I'd say this was a Bruckheimer film cause it sure felt like it.

A

except this had more art in regards to how it was made. i loved the direction, the cinematography. very well made.

This movie was FABULOUS!!! A all the way. Angelina is HOT HOT HOT and BRAD IS JUST YUMMY!!!! great humor. great action. and no cheesy dialog!!

Sat Jun 11, 2005 2:26 pm
MISSING IN ACTION

I'll give my full length review tommowrow...

but didn't anyone find it SUPER ironic when that OC guy was wearing the FIGHT CLUB shirt, right in front of the Brad Pitt character??!?!? I laughed so hard at that.

Anyone else notice that?

...burn, die, and go to hell bizznitch.

Sun Jun 12, 2005 1:38 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 88 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next