Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 
 Scary Movie 

What grade would you give this film?
A 44%  44%  [ 8 ]
B 39%  39%  [ 7 ]
C 11%  11%  [ 2 ]
D 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 18

Scary Movie 
College Boy Z

Post Scary Movie
Scary Movie

Quote:
Scary Movie is a 2000 comedy-parody film directed by Keenen Ivory Wayans, as part of Wayans Bros. Entertainment. It is an American dark comedy which heavily parodies the horror, slasher, and mystery genres. Several mid- and late-90s films and TV shows are spoofed, most predominantly Scream and I Know What You Did Last Summer, along with The Sixth Sense, The Usual Suspects, The Matrix, The Blair Witch Project, and Dawson's Creek.

The tagline reads "No mercy. No shame. No sequel.", the last reference being an ironic nod towards the tendency of popular horror movies becoming cash cow franchises. 2001 saw the release of Scary Movie 2, whose tagline stated "We lied". Later video covers of the first film frequently drop the tagline's third statement. The film was originally titled "Last Summer I Screamed Because Halloween Fell on Friday the 13th". Scary Movie was followed by three more sequels Scary Movie 2 (2001), Scary Movie 3 (2003), and Scary Movie 4 (2006). Its title serves as a homage to the production title of Scream, which was also released through Dimension Films. In 2012, Scary Movie 5 will be released.

One of the best comedies I've seen.

A

Last edited by zingy on Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Oct 28, 2004 4:24 pm
New Server, Same X

Original, funny, rewatchable, and downright fun. Puts the two sequels to shame, and any other spoof film.

Grade: A-

Sat Oct 30, 2004 11:03 am
Teh Mexican

great movie, funny! very very original!!!

B+

Sat Oct 30, 2004 8:16 pm
Hot Fuss

Perfect teen paradoy. Scary, funny, and amazingly original. A baby!

Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:41 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Forum General

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Wed May 04, 2005 12:23 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

Fri May 06, 2005 7:41 pm
Profile YIM
You must have big rats

This is by far and away the best entry in the rather mediocre series. The first time I saw it actually, I didn't find it very funny and much rather spent my time spotting the movies it was spoofing. The second time I saw it, however, was with a bunch of friends at my friend's birthday party and then I found the movie to be shamelessly hilarious. Yes, it is very stupid, but it is also very very funny and most of its spoofs surprisingly succeed. And it even manages to pull of a twist ending that I would have really never guessed (despite having seen pretty much the same ending in another movie before, hehe). The opening with Carmen Electra is pretty funny, but most of the laughs go on Marlon Wayans' and Shaun Wayans' account. This movie spoofs over 30-40 movies I have seen and an endless amount of those I have yet to see, but teenage slashers are of course its focus and that's where it mostly succeeds. Not all the jokes work, but there are so many of them in this one that even though only half of them works, it makes the movie already very enjoyable and funny.

Sun Sep 04, 2005 5:43 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

The dick jokes and the fart jokes and the sperm jokes are really 6th grade (which is when I saw this film and thought it was hilarious), but honestly, there's still a lot of other funny stuff. A lot of it.

It's one of my favorite comedies. A-

The sequels sucked hard, though.

Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:29 am
Profile WWW
All Star Poster

This is one of the Funniest movies I've ever seen

A-

Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:19 am
Devil's Advocate

Hilarious, though I liked the second better. :oops:

Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:23 am
Indiana Jones IV

Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:38 am
Profile YIM WWW
On autopilot for the summer

Its no where the best spoof ever, but since abou 1995, its definitely up there.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:23 am
Mod Team Leader

If you are going to spoof some of the biggest films of the last few years, you had better know what you are talking about. You better make sure that you have something funny to say and an intelligent way of saying it because audiences, at one time or another, have already done, in their minds, what you are putting on film. We've already made cracks about how slow Michael, Jason and Freddy walk. We've already made comments about how it always seems to rain when women are running around with their see through blouses on. And we have already commented on how stupid Jennifer Love Hewitt is in I Know What You Did.... So to make a film that pokes fun at these films is not an afternoon excursion. It takes time, energy and research. And as a horror movie buff, an obsessed horror movie buff, I didn't have high hopes for this film, even with it's funny trailer. I thought that all the funny parts would be in the trailer and I would be left feeling cheated again as an apathetic spoof film about horror films came and went.

I am glad to say that I was wrong. Not only is Scary Movie intelligent at it's look at scary movies over the last ten years, it is intelligent with many of it's other jokes. There is nothing prosaic about this effort.

Scary Movie doesn't hold anything back. And I think it has the benefit of having Keanen Ivory Wayans direct it. Because some of the funnier jokes in the film are at the expense of black people. And since it is written by the Wayans ( who are very black )they can get away with more than a white guy could with some of the same material. For example, there is a scene in a movie theater when Regina King is talking too loud and she ends up being sliced, knifed and diced by the all white crowd. It is a very fuuny scene but one that a white director would have taken flack for no doubt. And when Marlon Wayans is telling another character about how there was a shooting at an all black showing of SCREAM, and everyone just left, again, it is funny but it is more accepted because it is a black person directing a black person. This is not to say that all the humour in the film is directed at blacks, because it's not. It's just that many of the scenes where blacks seem to make fun of themselves gets some of the best laughs.

Some of the funniest jokes were about penises. One in particular when the Ryan Phillipe character from I KNOW has a picture delivered to him and it is him with an incredibly small member. He then shouts out, " This isn't funny. Having a small dick is a disability! You wouldn't make fun of a guy in a wheel chair now would you? " The crowd didn't stop laughing at that one for quite some time. There is also a funny parody on the "Whas UP!!! " Budweiser commercial and in one of the funniest scenes I have seen in any film in quite some time, a weed cutter is used to shave someone's pubic hair that has grown out of control.

Scary Movie has a joke in every scene in the film and that is going to mean that not all of them are going to work, but most of them do. And not only is this film funny but it is smart. You will recall in Scream, the high school principal was from a 70's T.V. sitcom, well, so is he in here. You will recall in I STILL KNOW.... that when Jennifer Hewitt screams at the top of her lungs " What are you waiting for?" as the camera shoots an overhead view of her with her shirt wide open, so does Wayans. And the impression of Dewey is priceless. Also, Shawn Wayans does a pretty good impression of Mathew Lilliard from Scream, when near the end of the film he almost spits his word out to the camera. There are so many great moments of familiarity in here that if you do know the films that are being parodied, you are almost tempted to say to yourself, "Oh that's stupid, that part is so easy to spoof" until you realize that it takes a great mind that has at least somewhat of a love for the kinds of films he is making fun of.

Scary Movie is funny, there is no doubt that but it is also smart and familiar. And that's not easy to do. This film is also raunchy, gross and it will probably be one of the top films of the summer. This has sleeper written all over it and that can be attributed to the Wayans brothers. They have written and directed a wonderful spoof of horror films and of films in general. And I highly recommend it.

7.5 out of 10... Also watch for the smart take on the Usual Suspects. And see if you can figure out when it is going to come. It is also one of the funnier parts of the movie and it will make you curse yourself for not seeing it coming.

Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:41 pm
Profile WWW
Sbil

Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:09 pm
Squee

Overrated. Not that funny. The second was better if only because of David Cross.

:glare:

Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:13 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

8.3/10 B-

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:18 am
life begins now

A-

Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:28 pm
Profile YIM
Stanley Cup

B+

Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:40 pm
Teenage Dream

Hilarious, easily the best of the series. A

Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:49 pm
Indiana Jones IV

Thought it was funny then, can't stand it now.

Grade B: This is what I would have given it when I first saw it, so I'll be fair.

Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:56 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Although it sucks for unleashing 3 horrible sequels and similarly horrible flicks like Date Movie and Epic Movie.

Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:52 pm
Superman: The Movie

Although not on the same level as Airplane, I would say it was about as good as any of the Zucker films from the '80s. It has that same inspired lunacy as those films and that Zucker himself hasn't exactly captured in parts 3 and 4. It's a shame the series briefly went to absolute shit with part 2.

A

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:52 am
Profile WWW
The Wall

Post Re: Scary Movie
** / ***** (D)

A rather consistent franchise as I always get a few laughs out of the movies, but they're always kind of bad.

Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:20 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]