Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 We Don't Live Here Anymore 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 100%  100%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 1

College Boy Z

Post We Don't Live Here Anymore

Quote:
We Don't Live Here Anymore is a 2004 drama film directed by John Curran. It is based on the short stories We Don't Live Here Anymore and Adultery by Andre Dubus.

Set in Washington state, the film was shot around Vancouver.

Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:24 am
Forum General

I thought I remember there being a thread on this before but I guess not. I was lucky enough to see this in the theater last summer, there were a lot of people there but it was the only theater in the town I was in, so it was to be expected. All of the performances were great (I still say Laura Dern deserved an Oscar nomination). The story was simple but the way it was all played out was great. While I don't think it's as good as CLOSER, I give it the same rating. I'd definetely recommend it!

10/10 (A+)

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:49 am
Profile YIM WWW
La Bella Vito

I thought I remember there being a thread on this before but I guess not. I was lucky enough to see this in the theater last summer, there were a lot of people there but it was the only theater in the town I was in, so it was to be expected. All of the performances were great (I still say Laura Dern deserved an Oscar nomination). The story was simple but the way it was all played out was great. While I don't think it's as good as CLOSER, I give it the same rating. I'd definetely recommend it!

10/10 (A+)

I just shipped my movies back to Netflix, and it is next to be shipped back to me. I cannot wait to see this! Roger Ebert didn't like it though saying "It is too disconnected." We will see when I see it. I love Laura Dern, and Naomi Watts, so I think I'm going to like it lots. \:D/

Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:47 am
Profile YIM WWW
Forum General

movies35 wrote:

10/10 (A+)

I just shipped my movies back to Netflix, and it is next to be shipped back to me. I cannot wait to see this! Roger Ebert didn't like it though saying "It is too disconnected." We will see when I see it. I love Laura Dern, and Naomi Watts, so I think I'm going to like it lots. \:D/

Naomi is absolutely stunning in it. I have an autograph from her because of my cousin and she was really nice, it would be cool to hang out with her all the time. The whole cast was spectacular.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:40 am
Profile YIM WWW
La Bella Vito

Vincent wrote:
movies35 wrote:

10/10 (A+)

Naomi is absolutely stunning in it. I have an autograph from her because of my cousin and she was really nice, it would be cool to hang out with her all the time. The whole cast was spectacular.

It should be here tomorrow. Netflix just emailed me telling me they recieved my other movies, so the other three should be here on friday.

Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:18 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Sbil

The performances from Laura Dern and Naomi Watts were very good, although the males (Mark Ruffalo and Peter Krause) failed to impress.

Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:34 pm
La Bella Vito

I was disappointed, very disappointed. I expected a much better story that evoled alot more than it did in the film. Closer was much better. The two female leads are extraordinary, but the males aren't as impressive as Libs said. I thought Mark Ruffalo was great though, he's really becoming one of my favorite new actors. I didn't like the ending either, there was no closure, and it just left a lot of questions unanswered. All of the actors hearts are in the right place, but the direction, and writing really brings the film down as a whole. It's definitely not something I would watch again. Also, it seems like it bounces from one scene to the next without any reason, and it causes more confusion than an understanding of what is going on in the film. All in all a very disappointing, bland tale of adultery. The only thing that saves it from being complete trash are the performances.

C

Sat Jun 11, 2005 3:06 am
Profile YIM WWW
I just lost the game

I was disappointed, very disappointed. I expected a much better story that evoled alot more than it did in the film. Closer was much better. The two female leads are extraordinary, but the males aren't as impressive as Libs said. I thought Mark Ruffalo was great though, he's really becoming one of my favorite new actors. I didn't like the ending either, there was no closure, and it just left a lot of questions unanswered. All of the actors hearts are in the right place, but the direction, and writing really brings the film down as a whole. It's definitely not something I would watch again. Also, it seems like it bounces from one scene to the next without any reason, and it causes more confusion than an understanding of what is going on in the film. All in all a very disappointing, bland tale of adultery. The only thing that saves it from being complete trash are the performances.

C

I completely agree on every account (accept for Closer, I've yet to see it). Laura Dern was incredible, Watts was spectacular, Ruffalo was good, and Krause was above average. The movie had too many extraneous scenes that had little to do with anything, except add some offhand extra information about the characters. And the ending? Wtf.

C

Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:25 am
Lord of filth

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz......

Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:05 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

I actually thought it was very good. Yes, Closer handles a similar concept better, but this is still a highly captivating drama filled with excellent performances across the board. Laura Dern was fantastic, as was Naomi Watts - who can honestly do no wrong even with mediocre material. Mark Ruffalo was also great and delivered one of his strongest performances to date. The second half of the film is excellent, and if the first half measured up to that portion this would easily be one of 2004's strongest efforts.

B+

Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:26 pm
Profile YIM
Wallflower

Post Re: We Don't Live Here Anymore
This film was fantastic and underrated. One of 2004's best.

9/10 (A-)

Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:57 am
Kypade

Post Re: We Don't Live Here Anymore
nah, its not very good.

Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:01 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]