Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Jurassic Park 

What grade would you give this film?
A 79%  79%  [ 27 ]
B 15%  15%  [ 5 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
F 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 34

Jurassic Park 
You must have big rats

Post Re: Jurassic Park
I know...but you can do better! :P

Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:36 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

So could Spielberg.

The more I think about this film, the more it annoys me. It's not very good, and it's unabashedly self-promotional to boot.

MadGez wrote:
Briefs. Am used to them and boxers can get me in trouble it seems. Too much room and maybe the silkiness have created more than one awkward situation.

My Box-Office Blog: http://boxofficetracker.blogspot.com/

Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:38 pm
Profile WWW
---------

Box wrote:
So could Spielberg.

The more I think about this film, the more it annoys me. It's not very good, and it's unabashedly self-promotional to boot.

Well it was a freakin' entreprenuring amusement park.

Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:07 pm
Superfreak

I think I have become too Nolanized. The 2nd half feels just a tad rushed, and there's not too much character development with Ellie or Ian. Hammond and Grant are easily the films mot developed characters. From the opening through the ending of the T-Rex attack on the cars, everything is perfect.

& Wayne Knight is hilarious.

Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:49 pm
Where will you be?

Jurassic Park is one of those big blockbusters which is so impeccably crafted that even narrative shortcomings can't stop it. Everything just works.

As someone who grew up loving this franchise, I absolutely recommend seeking it out on the big screen. The 3D is fine, occasionally enhancing and never obtrusive, but it's seeing it on a huge screen with roaring sound is truly a magical experience.

Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:41 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Definitely seeing this in IMAX ASAP.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:23 pm
now we know

I've just got back from seeing this in 3D. The first time I saw this movie was in Summer 1993. It wowed me and loved it. I collected all the toys, all the merchandise and enjoyed it for many, many, many hours. I was a young, excitable, playful boy, and I wanted to see some dinosaurs! It fulfilled my requirement no end. Fast-forward 20 years, and it also fulfills my requirement of story, characters, logic, and warmth. This is a modern classic, and Steven Spielberg truly is one of the greatest directors ever.

I noticed things this time that I have never noticed before. Lots of dialogue and plot points (mainly early on when as a younger Algren, I would have just been waiting for dinosaurs and have forgotten the talkie shit) I noticed this time, and Dr. Ian Malcolm just became the coolest dude ever (whereas before he did annoy me), and I actually realised that Jurassic Park hasn't aged too well. The CGI and animal prosthetics are not very good. I mean, they're still great, but not as good as I've come to expect nowadays. Also, I noticed that Jurassic Park doesn't actually have many action/adventure scenes. The dinosaurs are not show too often. Nowadays, audiences are so impatient that they are force-fed action for hours on end (Transformers, Man of Steel etc.), but Jurassic Park is old school, it's a traditional Summer blockbuster that wows and sparks the imagination of its audience. This is a rare thing nowadays.

The 3D was fucking useless, though.

A

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:01 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Algren wrote:
Jurassic Park

I've just got back from seeing this in 3D. The first time I saw this movie was in Summer 1993. It wowed me and loved it. I collected all the toys, all the merchandise and enjoyed it for many, many, many hours. I was a young, excitable, playful boy, and I wanted to see some dinosaurs! It fulfilled my requirement no end. Fast-forward 20 years, and it also fulfills my requirement of story, characters, logic, and warmth. This is a modern classic, and Steven Spielberg truly is one of the greatest directors ever.

I noticed things this time that I have never noticed before. Lots of dialogue and plot points (mainly early on when as a younger Algren, I would have just been waiting for dinosaurs and have forgotten the talkie shit) I noticed this time, and Dr. Ian Malcolm just became the coolest dude ever (whereas before he did annoy me), and I actually realised that Jurassic Park hasn't aged too well. The CGI and animal prosthetics are not very good. I mean, they're still great, but not as good as I've come to expect nowadays. Also, I noticed that Jurassic Park doesn't actually have many action/adventure scenes. The dinosaurs are not show too often. Nowadays, audiences are so impatient that they are force-fed action for hours on end (Transformers, Man of Steel etc.), but Jurassic Park is old school, it's a traditional Summer blockbuster that wows and sparks the imagination of its audience. This is a rare thing nowadays.

A

AMEN brother. I felt the exact same way about this movie after I saw at the tender age of 5. I was really young, but I LOVED every bit of it. I remember I was crazy about all the merchandise and had everything from t-shirts to the play sets.

The dinosaurs are just awesome and I never get tired of the carnage on screen even if there isn't a whole lot of it. When shit does actually hit fan it's very memorable and the T-Rex attack in the rain is easily my favorite scene ever.

It's sucks that I didn't get to see it in theatres back in the day, but the experience was still the same and to this day it still remains one of my favorite blockbusters of all-time.

Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:17 pm
Forum General

Algren wrote:
Jurassic Park

A

AMEN brother. I felt the exact same way about this movie after I saw at the tender age of 5. I was really young, but I LOVED every bit of it. I remember I was crazy about all the merchandise and had everything from t-shirts to the play sets.

The dinosaurs are just awesome and I never get tired of the carnage on screen even if there isn't a whole lot of it. When shit does actually hit fan it's very memorable and the T-Rex attack in the rain is easily my favorite scene ever.

It's sucks that I didn't get to see it in theatres back in the day, but the experience was still the same and to this day it still remains one of my favorite blockbusters of all-time.

Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:17 pm
now we know

One thing I noticed was how Hammond repeats "no expense was spared" loads of times, which is kind of not true and the reason for the problems in the first place. If no expense was truly spared, then he would have paid the fat man in the glasses much more money and he wouldn't have need to steal and sell off DNA which caused it all.

Lots of stuff is in this movie that I missed on my first, second, third viewings. You notice different things at different ages. Great movie.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:57 pm
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

You wouldn't have a movie if Hammond wasn't so Naive.

Still my favorite moment is

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:43 pm
now we know

Thegun wrote:

No shit.

I'm not suggesting it be changed. I'm pointing it out as great film-making.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:02 am
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

I just re watched this and it holds up very well. First and foremost, the effects are fantastic, and I could not tell what was animatronic and what was CGI; they both looked that realistic. The characters weren't as forgettable this time around; the only ones that really fell flat for me were the two kids. The boy was just annoying, awkward and couldn't act, while the girl was a dumb bimbo who didn't realize that screaming would cause the T-Rex to hear her. John Hammond and Ian are good characters while Alan and Ellie are likable protagonists. The fat guy programmer and the lawyer are good villains as well. The best sequence of the movie definitely comes at the end when they are being pursued by raptors. The part in the kitchen and when Mama T comes to the rescue are classic examples of just how tense cinema can be. And the score is gorgeous. I used to think it was overrated, considering the main part consisted of just 3 notes. but it was more comoplex than I remembered; very sweeping. It's amazing how much better William's work here is than in 1991's Hook (which probably has his worst score ever.) They definitely could have taken this franchise somewhere else after this film to a place more interesting than they went in TLW and JP3, but until we get that worthy sequel (could JW finally be it?), we still have this classic.

A

Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:33 am
Superfreak

Thegun wrote:

Still my favorite moment is

:funny: Always wondered wtf he was doing there.

Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:43 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Goldblum is KING.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:29 pm
The Kramer

This only has a 69 on metacritic. The Globe gave it a 2/10, saying, among other things, that it has no sense of wonder.

I guess time makes everything look better, but its weird to think of this as a divisive movie.

Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:19 pm
now we know

It also has no nudity and no F-bombs. I think it's stupid to criticise a film for what it doesn't have. You should just comment on what it does have. And I think a whole generation of people that saw Jurassic Park as a child will tell you the film definitely has wonder. But anyway, maybe that Globe critic just split up with his girlfriend that day or got salty instead of sweet popcorn, and was feeling like being a cunt.

Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:58 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Watched this last week and it still is the best dinosaur movie. The whole world building is great and while some of the the thrills haven't aged well its still an edge-of-your-seat thriller. It takes a little more time than necessary to set things up but once the things start they are just amazing. The actors just do enough though none of them stand out probably because the story, sounds and visuals take precedence.

Tue May 26, 2020 1:18 am
Reply to topic   [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4