Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:54 am

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ] 
 Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny 

Grade:
A 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
B 63%  63%  [ 5 ]
C 25%  25%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 8

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny 
now we know

Post Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny

Quote:
Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny is a 2023 American action adventure film directed by James Mangold, and co-written by Mangold, Jez Butterworth, John-Henry Butterworth, and David Koepp. Produced by Walt Disney Pictures and Lucasfilm Ltd. and distributed by Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures, the film is a sequel to Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (2008) and serves as the fifth and final installment in the Indiana Jones film series. The film stars Harrison Ford in his final portrayal of archaeologist Indiana Jones. John Rhys-Davies and Karen Allen reprise their roles as Sallah and Marion Ravenwood, respectively, from earlier films. New cast members include Phoebe Waller-Bridge, Antonio Banderas, Toby Jones, Boyd Holbrook, Ethann Isidore, and Mads Mikkelsen.

Dial of Destiny is the only film in the series that is neither directed by Steven Spielberg nor written by George Lucas, with both serving as executive producers instead. It is also the only film in the series not to be distributed by Paramount Pictures, following Disney's acquisition of Lucasfilm that transferred film rights for future sequels. Paramount instead retains the distribution rights to the first four films and a residual associate credit.

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny had its world premiere at the 76th Cannes Film Festival on May 18, 2023, and was released in the United States on June 30, 2023.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Jun 27, 2023 2:55 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Post Re: Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
So I caught the 10am show on the first day here in the UK. There were 9 people in attendance. Not particularly significant since it's so early and on a work day but thought I'd share anyway. There are so many showtimes today, but tomorrow (Thursday) there are half as many.

Anyway, the film isn't bad. It's better than the fourth. It feels more focus-grouped and safe, but still within the realms of an Indy film. Obviously not boring but also no Tarzan scenes (although aliens are replaced by time travel, so there is that). But on the whole it's a nice middle ground...again with Nazis as the main antagonist, lol. Much of the film is pleasant viewing, no real gripes but also nothing that I could attribute to James Mangold either. I feel this film, with Disney micro-managing it, would turn out identical if Ron Howard made it or Gore Verbinski. It's is missing that certain something that would make a person like me love it as much as the 1981-89 stretch, and maybe that was always going to happen due to the era it is made in or whether the film could've done more, I don't know.

The motion capture and de-aging is pretty excellent even if it's quite clear that you can see the craft. But as an experienced film fan I don't let things like that bother me anymore. Although I will say it's a little jarring to see a 45 year old Harrison but hear an 80 year old Ford. They couldn't have de-aged his voice as well? But I got over that. There's plenty of action; it is almost non-stop adventure which I see a plus-plus. There are clear physical limits to Ford, but I think the film does quite a nice job of understanding that and therefore using him well for his age or editing around him correctly. I suppose what I'm trying to say is that his age wasn't a factor at all in terms of slowing the film down or making it unrealistic (within the usual Indy world reality).

I did lose a bit of interest around the half-way mark. My mind wandered. Banderas is in such a small role for third-billed, that was probably the biggest surprise for me actually. But one thing I wish this film didn't do was once again relate it to Indy's past. Marion once again shows up near the end. Not a big deal but I wanted the Indiana Jones legacy to end differently. And, of course, the whole film is sprung into action because of his god-daughter, which I guess makes sense - not many 80 year olds are going on missions of their own will, but I would have maybe preferred Indy getting into scrapes and adventures in this one through more of a mistaken identity plot rather than the past revisiting him. But oh well, also not a big deal at all. The film in general is nice and nostalgic and fun, and it doesn't settle for a second considering its star was born during World War II, but it is a little too pleasant, inoffensive, and child-friendly (not childish). For example, there is no personal vendetta or hatred born out of Mads Mikkelsen and his team killing Indy's old friend (Banderas) and his office staff - the deaths aren't even used as a moment of sadness. Mads is clearly the bad guy, but there is no vengeance. It's more a defeat-the-bad-guys-because-they-are-bad-guys type set up, and I just feel the film could have injected a bit more passion and/or stakes to the endeavour. But at least it's better than Crystal Skull.

OK, so here's my list:

1. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade A+
2. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom A
3. Raiders of the Lost Ark A
4. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny B
5. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull D+

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:44 am
Profile WWW
Romosexual!

First time watching at 4pm score:
A- :D loved it!
the minus is for couple bad CGI of young Indy in action

now sitting down waiting for 2nd viewing to start at 7:45pm..

EDIT

It’s even better the 2nd time around :D

Last edited by Rev on Fri Jun 30, 2023 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:38 pm
Superman: The Movie

It really misses Spielberg’s action choreography. The car chase that opens Crystal Skull is more exciting than anything here. The action is fine I guess, but nothing memorable. The opening train chase is good. But Ford, Bridge, and the last act save the day.

B

Spoiler: show
I like how Helena has the dial at the end but doesn’t use it to go back and save Mutt. They made sure to keep him dead in Vietnam.

Raiders
Crusade
Doom
Skull
Dial

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:04 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

I thought it was entertaining in the first half but fell asleep at some point in the second and have to watch it again to fairly review it.

Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:54 pm
On autopilot for the summer

You fell asleep really? There is maybes 5 minutes of dialogue between action scenes

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Last edited by Thegun on Fri Jun 30, 2023 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jun 30, 2023 1:17 am
The Kramer

The beginning and end are good. I was dozing a bit in the middle though. They should have gone to the past way sooner and spent the whole second half of the movie there with Archamedes as a main character.

5.5/10ish

Fri Jun 30, 2023 1:27 am
Romosexual!

Dial of Destiny is a fitting end to the franchise. :D and also love letter to Temple of Doom

Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:21 am
Hold the door!

Thegun wrote:
You fell asleep really? Their is maybes 5 minutes of dialogue between action scenes

I was too tired, had nothing to do with the movie. Seeing it again on Tuesday in imax. I also dozed off a bit during across the spider-verse, which I loved.

Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:55 am
now we know

zwackerm wrote:
Thegun wrote:
You fell asleep really? Their is maybes 5 minutes of dialogue between action scenes

I was too tired, had nothing to do with the movie. Seeing it again on Tuesday in imax. I also dozed off a bit during across the spider-verse, which I loved.

It is a little to do with the movie. While I didn't fall asleep or anything close, as I mentioned my interest did wane in the middle. So I can see how that + being tired = zzzzZZZZ

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Jun 30, 2023 4:37 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

It definitely had the worst pacing of the 5 movies. Even KOTCS is well paced and only 2hr long

Fri Jun 30, 2023 4:44 pm

Algren wrote:
zwackerm wrote:
Thegun wrote:

It is a little to do with the movie. While I didn't fall asleep or anything close, as I mentioned my interest did wane in the middle. So I can see how that + being tired = zzzzZZZZ

The middle is incredibly bloated. There's no reason this should've been 154 minutes long especially since the longest one in the franchise prior to this was 127 minutes. This movie misses Michael Khan as much as it misses Spielberg.

His couple of scenes are mostly in the first hour, but as much as I love Sallah, there's pretty much no reason for him to be in the movie. That would've saved them a few minutes.

Fri Jun 30, 2023 5:50 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

The CIA get several scenes that amounted to nothing. And they could have combined the Morrocco and Syracuse bits.

I thought the de-aging effects were better here than most other films they've been used in.

Fri Jun 30, 2023 7:33 pm
Veteran

Indiana Jones 5 delivered. Harrison Ford's return as Indiana Jones was a nostalgic joyride, and seeing old characters return to the saddle was a treat. The third act was a standout, with unexpected twists. I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it.

While I know the reviews have been mixed, I personally found the movie to be a great addition to the franchise. The nostalgia was effective in bringing back fond memories of watching the previous movies, and the film did a great job of capturing the feeling of adventure and wonder that the series is known for. The criticisms that the movie has received did not detract from my enjoyment of it whatsoever.

Overall, Indiana Jones 5 hit all the right buttons for me, and I would highly recommend it to fans of the series. It's a solid B+ in my book. 3rd best after Raiders and Crusade.

I was blind, but now I see.

Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:45 pm
On autopilot for the summer

It’s more Rocky Balboa than Creed. It’s honestly a solid send off. I think it should have started on the train, but even though the trilogy leaves it well, Ford and co, brought the goods

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:57 pm
Hold the door!

It seems audience’s are like it better than KOTCS, though I think it’s about on par.

Sat Jul 01, 2023 12:22 pm
Extraordinary

May watch it again; the projection at my Dolby screening messed up multiple times and they told us to leave but they ended up playing the rest of it.

Overall I rather enjoyed it. Ford gives a great performance and I liked Waller-Bridge. The last act is pretty bonkers but thankfully ended well (Indy being left there would've been something lol)

Sun Jul 02, 2023 5:13 pm
Keeping it Light

I like this, it's quite fun, feels like an Indy film and time flies through its action packed scenes. I have no qualms with Ford reprising his role as an aged Indy, but the effects of his 40's face morph face look just not on point enough to not feel weird. I like the cast, Waller-Bridge and Mickelson are good, just my main issues are with the last 20min or so, the time travel part felt rushed and didn't feel right, and the ending with Marion didn't fit in well for me either. But anyway, overall good blockbuster entertainment.

B

Sun Jul 02, 2023 6:38 pm
Superfreak

A great and enjoyable thrill ride that is bit overlong and has to force some things due to mistakes of previous films. Random thoughts:

-LOVED the opening bits of prime Indiana Jones against Nazis under attack. I know it will be controversial but if technology allows actors/characters to stay in their primes forever... damn Is it cool to see it when it works. I mean if we could get big-budgets CONNERY BOND again! :whaa: I thought this was shockingly well done, the only obvious CGI was Indiana running on top of the train :funny:

-Wallers-Bridge does her best impression of 'Anne Hathaway's Selina Kyle' and is quite good. It must be a sign of the times where seemingly every major film is connected to other films resulting in relationships such as Helena and Indiana in this film feeling forced, but that is what it is. Same thing with Top Gun last year where Cruise and Connelly feel under developed. It's funny to think how these type of 'one fil/2-3 scene relationship establishers' used to be so common and accepted but today that makes them feel rushed and underdeveloped. But it is what it is. Why would she care at all about Indiana Jones when he hasn't been a part of his life for 25 years?

-Yes, it is mostly his face, but Mads Mickelson is just born to play a villain.

-The 2nd act of the film is bizarrely both action packed and yet really drags. Just 1 too many set pieces here. We get NYC action set piece > Morocco set pieces > ocean set piece > Sicily set piece...one of them definitely could been eliminated, even though it was cool to see Antonio Banderas on the high screen again.

-The last film really put them in a tough spot. But I always HATE when FILM A starts with PREMISE 1 and then ends with character on good terms, and then FILM B wants to use PREMISE 1 again so those good terms must be undone off screen. So after reconciling with his son and wife in CRYSTAL SKULL, 'family man Indiana' had his son killed and wife abandon him after Crystal Skull so he could...reconcile with his 'god daughter' and wife in the film? This type of redundancy is bad.

-The usual plot conveniences are especially obvious here....the 12 year old can fit a plane?!?

-Of all of the things they could have done with time travel, they go back to random fight in Sicily? IDK, I thought that aspect of the plot could have been intro'd sooner and better.

That said, overall really liked this film. Mangold did a great job. This is the film that we should have received in 2008, except without needing to explain a dead son and with Marion handled more appropriately.

Rock solid B+

Last edited by Excel on Sun Jul 02, 2023 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jul 02, 2023 11:46 pm
Superfreak

Jmart wrote:
I like how Helena has the dial at the end but doesn’t use it to go back and save Mutt. They made sure to keep him dead in Vietnam.

Did I miss something ?

The dial is not a time machine, it just says when these random pockets in time will open and its not very often

Sun Jul 02, 2023 11:49 pm
Hold the door!

Main issues with the film are it’s bloat and pacing, as well as Waller-Bridge and the kid being Un likable sidekicks.

With a better cast and pacing, it’s up there with the original trilogy. As is, it’s about on par with Crystal skull, which I enjoyed but didn’t love

Tue Jul 04, 2023 3:59 pm

Excel wrote:
Jmart wrote:

Did I miss something ?

The dial is not a time machine, it just says when these random pockets in time will open and its not very often

Nope, you're right. And she didn't have the dial at the end like I thought. She gave it over thus creating the dial. Not that she could've changed anything if she had had the dial, like you said.

Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:05 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Big meh. Much like Lucas/Star Wars, the loss of the franchise's main director just makes the look and action scenes seem generic in comparison. It screams that this has been in the works for more than a decade hence Indy’s age and the flashback gap being about 10 years less than you would expect, which makes it feel like not *quite* focused enough about how old he is and it being his for sure last ride, and more like a Die Hard 5 why did they make this. The best parts were with Mads to me between the opening sequence and the time travel chase. I agree that they could have just gone all in and made them go to Roman times about an hour in and had more scenes of Indy geeking out, or had double time travel plot where they go try to save Hitler first and then go to Roman times.

Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:49 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Another movie that tries to go through adventure through action instead of thrills and story connections/clues for audience to latch onto. It goes through the motions and tons of action but rarely feels like it's adventurous search for the dial or hints to connect what the said dial could potentially threaten. That does not mean the action is not good, it's engaging while it lasts, acting is great across the board other than Boyd Holbrook (who really needs to find a good agent), direction is also strong but the screenplay fails this big time.

6/10 Solid B

Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]