Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
 Godzilla vs. Kong 

Rate this film:
A 20%  20%  [ 2 ]
B 70%  70%  [ 7 ]
C 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 10

Godzilla vs. Kong 
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Godzilla vs. Kong
Quote:
Godzilla vs. Kong is a 2021 American monster film directed by Adam Wingard. A sequel to Godzilla: King of the Monsters and Kong: Skull Island, it is the fourth film in Legendary's MonsterVerse. The film is also the 36th film in the Godzilla franchise, the 12th film in the King Kong franchise, and the fourth Godzilla film to be completely produced by a Hollywood studio.[b] The film stars Alexander Skarsgård, Millie Bobby Brown, Rebecca Hall, Brian Tyree Henry, Shun Oguri, Eiza González, Julian Dennison, Kyle Chandler, and Demián Bichir.

The project was announced in October 2015 when Legendary announced plans for a shared cinematic universe between Godzilla and King Kong. The film's writers room was assembled in March 2017, and Wingard was announced as the director in May 2017. Principal photography began in November 2018 in Hawaii, Australia and Hong Kong, and wrapped in April 2019. After being delayed from a November 2020 release date due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Godzilla vs. Kong was theatrically released internationally on March 24, 2021, and is scheduled to be released in the United States on March 31, where it will be released simultaneously in theaters and on HBO Max.

Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:52 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Re: Godzilla vs. Kong
This was much more of a course correction that Monsterverse needed. Its still not a great movie overall but the action has meaning, the dialogue has fun and for every stupid human interaction there is enough mystery and spectacle to keep you glued to the screen. Adam Wingard does really well to keep things moving specially maintaining the interactions between humans very minimalistic while keeping the focus on the titans and Kaiju's. The characters still stay one-dimensional but all of them have a purpose and the side characters exit once that is served and the "human-heroes" still manage to help their assigned Titan.

Once the Titans enter the HK city its full on bombastic Titan-over-Titan action and their actions makes sense. The eventual team-up is brilliantly handled (while the reason behind it not so much). This NEEDS TO BE SEEN ON THE BIGGEST SCREEN. There are MANY MANY scenes here that would have worked in a packed screening.

B+

Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:59 am
Keeping it Light

As far as blockbuster spectacles go, this delivers as one of the best impressions for it. But not unlike many other blockbusters this one also fails to give us good characters and clearly lacks in depth overall. The monster action doesn't disappoint, it's visually clear and fun and basically a good thrill ride. Just in terms of story and rewatch value, it left me unimpressed and I liken it to being on a rollercoaster, fun while it feeds the senses, but afterwards not something that's worth queuing up for again. It's a huge improvement over King of the Monsters though, and in terms of considering this current MonsterVerse, I don't find it as satisfying as Skull Island and enjoyed it on par with 2014's Godzilla, though they're quite different films in feel and execution.

B-

Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:11 am
The Kramer

Cool movie. The first half is rough and I was worried we had another King of the Monsters on our hands. 90% of the dialogue is exposition and neither Hall or Saarsgard are doing much to elevate it. Kong himself is the only character with a story arc and that’s just fine because we didn’t come for puny human drama. We came for monsters and mashing and both are delivered. Not to say there are no good quiet moments- Kong revealing he knows sign language gave me a feel or two. The cinematography, even though its mostly just fx, is also gorgeous.

The fights are awesome, the humans are there for story reasons but often ignored for good reason and we get a visual bonanza. Godzilla v Kong may not be a good movie, but it is awesome nonetheless. B+

Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:42 pm
The Kramer

I also loved that there was a definitive winner in the fight. Godzilla winning out at sea doesn’t really count, but getting the W in the concrete jungle of Hong Kong is indisputable.

Kong punking Mecha G was just too awesome though. He earned that respect from the King.

Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:14 pm
The Kramer

Godzilla drills a hole into the center of the Earth just to call Kong a bitch to his face. :hahaha:

Also Kong popping his shoulder back in with a skyscraper. :hahaha:

Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:22 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Again those parts of story are very iffy to me. They know each other and fight but Kong has no idea of center of the earth seems too much of sloppy story writing. But then again it all works out because action scenes all cohere to a great finale and most side/human characters aren't given enough screen time.

Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:26 pm
Forum General

The monster action is great, but man did I not really enjoy the human stuff in this, especially the so called villians who didn't need to be in this at all IMO. The whole thing with Mechagodzilla felt super forced and underdeveloped and honestly I wish they focused more on the Hollow Earth stuff, because to me that was the most interesting part of the movie. I hope we get a Hollow Earth series or something for HBO Max, because I'd be really down for that.

B

Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:52 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

I saw it in theaters and thought it was total turn-your-brain-off fun. Visually the movie is honestly pretty stunning (I LOVED the neon-colored Hong Kong fight and all the Hollow Earth stuff) and it's definitely one that delivers on the promise of the title - all of the fights are pretty epic. I did think Millie Bobby Brown and her subplot was completely superfluous and stupid though and could have been cut completely with no real effect on the final product. B

Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:49 am
Profile YIM
KJ's Most Embarssing Misspeller

its called Godzilla vs. Kong. you know what you're getting and it basically delivers. more films should just be this simple.

Magnus is right
trixster wrote:
magnus is my hero
Loyal wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:
Magnus is the fucking voice of reason.
That's scary.
bABA wrote:
fuck Magnus
zwackerm wrote:
You're incredibly overrated and and if they made a Pixar film about you it would gross less than The Good Dinosaur.

Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:20 pm
Romosexual!

A+

Saw it in IMAX! Fucking AWESOME! :D
Godzilla ended up winning the battle but they both won the war.
Thank you WB, I want another one yesterday! :D

Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:14 pm
Where will you be?

Excellent pacing. I’m a King of the Monsters apologist but the marketers did a much better job here holding off on showing off the money shots. The human stuff is still goofy (SPOILERS pouring alcohol onto the computer that Bennie had on him the entire time during climactic battle is to me as stupid as anything in KotM) and you can tell they cut a ton of the footage from KotM returning cast members, but hot damn if it wasn’t fun to watch. Just made me miss opening night crowds. B

Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:37 pm
Hold the door!

Much better than Godzilla 2014 but they have not figured out how to offer an actual story in one of these films yet.

Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:25 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

I'm rewatching this and my rating would probably be closer to a B+. So dumb. So fun.

Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:50 pm
Profile YIM
KJ's Leading Idiot

Yes I liked it better second time as well and this time I watched it at home and it looked fine.

Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:03 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

I don't know about this one. It was something else.

The continuity with the previous films is barely there, and this entry feels like it's at the very least a film ahead of its time in the story. It takes place a few years after King of the Monsters, and in that short amount of time: Apex discovers Hollow Earth (newly introduced in this film); they manage to link Florida to Hong Kong via a super high-tech tunnel system; they're able to harness Ghidorah's DNA in his skull that's capable of controlling a massive mecha version of Godzilla (that they also created in a few years); and they created an aircraft capable of traveling to the center of the Earth (miraculously well given just a few years of studying it...) when we can't even explore the depths of the ocean.

Not saying I disliked all of this, it's in fact very cool, but.. what? There was nothing leading up to all of this in the series was there?

And besides all of that... the film itself has a lot of plot-hole filled, and just convenient stuff going on:

-Transporting Kong via the ocean, when they know that Godzilla would seek them out, is...dumb. They say they're using waters that Godzilla doesn't travel, but why in the world take such a risk? And then they just transport him by air afterwards. Why not do that from the start?

-Also, related to the above point... They're able to neutralize Kong long enough to transport him great distances, so why not neutralize and contain Godzilla (given he was a threat at this time)? Thick skin, sure, but the technology in the series is pretty darn advance, surely they could create something that could penetrate his hide. (And this is assuming the technology isn't there to somehow kill him, which given what we see in this film, is...hard to believe.) ​

-Godzilla having an endless supply of energy not just throughout the film, but enough to drill a hole through Earth (half of it anyway).

-I'm going to mostly ignore everything Kong related in the Hollow Earth, but it's pretty difficult. Who built the temple there? The Kongs? There were two stone doors at the entrance. Clearly Kong's ancestors were intelligent and all, but knowledge of doors? Were there humans here at some point? I'll stop now.

Probably sounds like I hated the movie, but I still really enjoyed it. Just thrown way off since I legitimately like this series. But good grief does it take the idea of suspending disbelief to a gravity defying level. It felt like a series finale, and the film before it was never released to bridge the gap. Still give it a B though because it was a whole lot of fun.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:54 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]