Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Chaos Walking 

Rate this film:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 75%  75%  [ 3 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

Chaos Walking 
Keeping it Light

Post Chaos Walking

Quote:
Chaos Walking is a 2021 American dystopian action film directed by Doug Liman from a screenplay by Patrick Ness and Christopher Ford. It is based on the sci-fi trilogy Chaos Walking, adapting its first book, 2008's The Knife of Never Letting Go by Ness. The film stars Daisy Ridley and Tom Holland, along with Mads Mikkelsen, Demián Bichir, Cynthia Erivo, Nick Jonas, and David Oyelowo, and follows a young man (Holland) who lives in a dystopian world where there are no women and all living creatures can hear each other's thoughts in a stream of images, words, and sounds called "Noise." When a woman (Ridley) crash lands onto the planet, he must help her escape danger.

Announced in 2011, the film had undergone several rewrites from a first script draft written by Charlie Kaufman, with Jamie Linden, John Lee Hancock, Gary Spinelli, Lindsey Beer, Christopher Ford, and Ness revising the screenplay further. Liman was later announced as the director in 2016, with principal photography beginning in 2017. Originally set to release on March 1, 2019, it was removed from schedule to accommodate the film's reshoots in April 2019 following poor test screenings.

Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:19 am
Indiana Jones IV

Post Re: Chaos Walking
I enjoyed it. While it is predictable and formulaic, the concept felt interesting and fresh enough, and the execution was solid. Not a game changer by any means but a good excuse to go to the theater. Also, Tom Holland is a fucking babe. And I hadn’t seen Cynthia Erivo in anything before this and I was loving her in her extended cameo.

Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:25 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

Seeing this tomorrow! First movie in a theater since Tenet.

Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:33 am
Profile YIM
Rachel McAdams Fan

Good performances from both leads who have a nice chemistry and you can certainly see the budget on screen. But this did feel hacked to death in the editing room as a lot of plot threads went nowhere and characterizations made no sense. Still though, it's decent enough and it was a welcome return to the theater for the first time since September. B-

Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:07 am
Profile YIM
Indiana Jones IV

thompsoncory wrote:
Good performances from both leads who have a nice chemistry and you can certainly see the budget on screen. But this did feel hacked to death in the editing room as a lot of plot threads went nowhere and characterizations made no sense. Still though, it's decent enough and it was a welcome return to the theater for the first time since September. B-

Curious if you’d be willing to elaborate in a spoiler tag. I wasn’t aware of anything about this movie before seeing it (including production / editing issues) so I don’t think I was cued in to see these issues that you noticed.

Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:04 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

It was filmed in 2017 and underwent expansive reshoots and edits during post-production, the entire finale was reshot and because of Tom's commitment to Spider-Man and Daisy's commitment to Star Wars reshoots happened quite a while after the initial production period. I just felt a lot of plot threads went nowhere (such as everything involving the Spackle and David Oyelowo's ridiculous character, as well as the relationship between Kurt Sutter and Demian Bichir).

Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:45 pm
Profile YIM
Extraordinary

This was more interesting and watchable than I was expecting. I think this had potential to be good but falls short.

Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:22 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Same here. I saw it in theaters last week and the premise had potential but it just falls short. The ending is indeed very abrupt plus I did notice a lot of open-ended stories even though characters move ahead in their respective stories. Daisy Riley and specially Tom Holland are individually great here though I would not say they had a great chemistry here.

B-

Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:23 am
The Kramer

I watched this on my phone on the plane, and while I normally would consider that disrespectful, this movie was boring and stupid. What was the point of having aliens on the planet if they weren’t gonna factor into the plot at all??

D

Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]