Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Wonder Woman 1984 

Rate this film:
A 33%  33%  [ 5 ]
B 13%  13%  [ 2 ]
C 47%  47%  [ 7 ]
D 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 15

Wonder Woman 1984 
On autopilot for the summer

Post Re: Wonder Woman 1984
Yeah the whole Shield/Hydra thing was actually really done well because it was done more as an espionage film with it being a lot of grey, and most not knowing they were infiltrated. Fury forming the Avengers eventually brought about the hidden faction being found out. I mean it's basic storytelling, but when you put that into a Superhero film it stands out as being way above average a plot. Kind of like how TDK did the same thing with inserting gangster movie plots in. That's why I love a lot of Marvel films because you do sense a lot of the director's right in there.

You can tell Iron Man 3 is Shane Black, Ragnarok, Winter Soldier, Ant-Man, even the first Thor and CA feel a lot like a Kenneth Branagh or Joe Johnson film, and Joss Whedon. DC on the other hand you get a bizarre mix of Nolan and Snyder from the beginning with MOS. Snyder's overall style should not have been felt over the whole cinematic universe. Part of the reason why films like WW, Shazam, Joker, feeling more like their own tones have been better.

And just because a film adds a humor into it does not mean it's any worse then a serious take, in many ways it's a much more intricate film with a harder balance to hit. Say what you want about Marvel. These are superhero movies after all. Even Logan had dark wit about it. The difference depends on the studio control. Marvel gives their directors a lot of power and they shine. WB has famously been in more control going all the way back to Superman II, III, the Batman series. They cater to focus groups, Marvel caters to comic book and movie audiences.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:45 pm
Team Kris

A complete disappointment. I loved the first WW but this one feels completely flat. Best scene was the opening and it falls hard after that. It moves way too slow and the few action scenes are cheezy and don't have the same epic feeling as the first. Fighting a cheetah isn't quite the same as fighting the god of war.

D

Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:17 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

I feel like Rotten Tomatoes is legit trolling with the constant lowering of their rating since its release.

This is not a bad film and eons better than some of the trash they gave 90% to (I'm looking at you Spider-Man: Homecoming).

Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:18 am
Profile YIM
Superfreak

It is beyond baffling that WB/DC continue to come up with truly original dramatic story beats and yet the execution is just always so flawed. This was the story with MAN OF STEEL and it has plagued nearly every film of theirs. WW84 is no different.

Everything would have mad way more sense set in the roaring 1920s.

Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:56 am
Extraordinary

The whole release and reception has just been bizarre. The reactions remind me of BvS and Last Jedi but this isn't a controversial film, it's just pretty underwhelming.

I'm glad the film doesn't really feel butchered but they really should've gone with a different story (and avoid the unnecessary Steve being in someone else's body).

Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:45 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

thompsoncory wrote:
I feel like Rotten Tomatoes is legit trolling with the constant lowering of their rating since its release.

This is not a bad film and eons better than some of the trash they gave 90% to (I'm looking at you Spider-Man: Homecoming).

Critics did that and not RT, the site is just an aggregator

Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:52 am
Dont Mess with the Gez

I think a big problem with the reaction to this film is that the film has been highly anticipated due to the first being very good and the lack of event films we’ve had this year yet it is being judged by many who are watching it at home.

I saw it at a theatre and despite its flaws I thought it was an enjoyable experience. I suspect I would have liked it less at home.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:53 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

publicenemy#1 wrote:
The whole release and reception has just been bizarre. The reactions remind me of BvS and Last Jedi but this isn't a controversial film, it's just pretty underwhelming.

I'm glad the film doesn't really feel butchered but they really should've gone with a different story (and avoid the unnecessary Steve being in someone else's body).

Is this not an adapted story? I haven't read WW comic but I thought they would avoid original stories at this point in their journey.

Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:54 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

MadGez wrote:
I think a big problem with the reaction to this film is that the film has been highly anticipated due to the first being very good and the lack of event films we’ve had this year yet it is being judged by many who are watching it at home.

I saw it at a theatre and despite its flaws I thought it was an enjoyable experience. I suspect I would have liked it less at home.

I do not think this is that big of a problem. I watched it in theaters and didn't love it as much as the original (not even close) even the second viewing didn't improve my experience as much.

Also Soul managed to get great reception even though it's a primarily home media release.

Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:55 am
Superman: The Movie

Take everything I’m about to say with a grain of salt because I had to stop the film three different times (I miss theaters) for extended periods of time. Also, small spoilers at the very bottom.

This was a lovable mess. Several people have mentioned Richard Donner’s Superman/II when reviewing this movie and how could you not? The tone is pretty much a match (which I assume will piss off Snyder-ites), Diana practically flies (and hears voices) like him, and Max Lord is pretty much Luthor with a heart. Heart is another thing the two films have in common. I love that Patty Jenkins seems to love those first two Supes film. It showed in the first Wonder Woman and it shows here. GET HER ON A DAMN SUPERMAN MOVIE!

That’s about where the comparisons end. Well, you might be think that both films run close to two and a half hours. You’d be correct, but Superman has three rigid acts; Krypton/Smallville, Superman/Metropolis, and saving the world. 84 has a prologue, and opening sequence, 70 minutes where the Diana and Steve stuff is cute but nothing of note happens, and then a third act that’s an hour long. It’s not exactly well paced at 151 minutes.

I’m also not sure how I feel about wishes. That whole thing and the ancient god and Ravi Patel is just fucking dumb. It’s a shame that that’s pretty much the crux of the movie.

But boy does Jenkins show that she knows how to direct actors. Gadot and Pine are great together once again (even if it begins on the awkward note that he’s inside another person’s body...how does this whole “wish” thing work again?). Pascal is great even if his character is all over the place. That last scene with his son really worked for me. The MVP might be Wiig though. It’s a shame the movie doesn’t really know what to do with her in the final scenes. It literally leaves her on a cliff. Also, although I really like Zimmer’s score, why did he score the scene where she re-encounters her predator like that was her big coming out as a villain? What was so villainous about beating the shit out of him?

So, I think if you liked the first you’ll probably like this just not as much. And bonus points for how Superman-y it got at times though depending on how much you love Wonder Woman as her own character that may or may not piss you off.

|
|
|
V

I can’t believe they pulled off the invisible jet. And it wasn’t stupid!

Lynda Carter cameo! I needed to read a Vanity Fair article by Joanna Robinson to make sense of it, but now that I have, it’s perfect.

B

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:02 pm
Profile WWW
Superfreak

The special effects are shockingly bad, how does this happen?

Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:14 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

Jmart wrote:
Take everything I’m about to say with a grain of salt because I had to stop the film three different times (I miss theaters) for extended periods of time. Also, small spoilers at the very bottom.

This was a lovable mess. Several people have mentioned Richard Donner’s Superman/II when reviewing this movie and how could you not? The tone is pretty much a match (which I assume will piss off Snyder-ites), Diana practically flies (and hears voices) like him, and Max Lord is pretty much Luthor with a heart. Heart is another thing the two films have in common. I love that Patty Jenkins seems to love those first two Supes film. It showed in the first Wonder Woman and it shows here. GET HER ON A DAMN SUPERMAN MOVIE!

That’s about where the comparisons end. Well, you might be think that both films run close to two and a half hours. You’d be correct, but Superman has three rigid acts; Krypton/Smallville, Superman/Metropolis, and saving the world. 84 has a prologue, and opening sequence, 70 minutes where the Diana and Steve stuff is cute but nothing of note happens, and then a third act that’s an hour long. It’s not exactly well paced at 151 minutes.

I’m also not sure how I feel about wishes. That whole thing and the ancient god and Ravi Patel is just fucking dumb. It’s a shame that that’s pretty much the crux of the movie.

But boy does Jenkins show that she knows how to direct actors. Gadot and Pine are great together once again (even if it begins on the awkward note that he’s inside another person’s body...how does this whole “wish” thing work again?). Pascal is great even if his character is all over the place. That last scene with his son really worked for me. The MVP might be Wiig though. It’s a shame the movie doesn’t really know what to do with her in the final scenes. It literally leaves her on a cliff. Also, although I really like Zimmer’s score, why did he score the scene where she re-encounters her predator like that was her big coming out as a villain? What was so villainous about beating the shit out of him?

So, I think if you liked the first you’ll probably like this just not as much. And bonus points for how Superman-y it got at times though depending on how much you love Wonder Woman as her own character that may or may not piss you off.

|
|
|
V

I can’t believe they pulled off the invisible jet. And it wasn’t stupid!

Lynda Carter cameo! I needed to read a Vanity Fair article by Joanna Robinson to make sense of it, but now that I have, it’s perfect.

B

Good review. Loveable mess is an apt description.

And no wonder I had the sudden urge to watch Superman 2 (my favourite film of my childhood). I hope to do so soon as my son wants to watch all the DC’s now.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:42 pm
Devil's Advocate

Pascal and the wish concept makes him one of the best superhero villains in some time and helps make the movie. I like that there is real apocalyptic stakes but while also seeming personal and dealing with human flaws.

After the first film's charm they could have done more in terms of the fish out of water comedy part of Pine being in the 80s, which while I didn't need it to go full Stranger Things, is overall underutilized as a setting and feels like it was there to get the nukes ending more than anything else. The Steve Diana relationship is good from a romantic standpoint though and ends well. I liked Kristen Wiig in the first half of the movie but when she goes full Terminator it feels like too much and they barely let her redeem herself by choice. There were some small things that bothered me like invisible powers deux ex machina, Lord being able to do 2 wishes when he acted the rest of the movie like he couldn't even if he wanted to, Steve knowing how to fly a plane 70 years in the future and does she have the power to summon her armor from hundreds of miles away? Also how come Barbara and Max stopped being into each other halfway through the movie?

Overall above average superhero film. More interesting to me than the 24th Marvel film that feels the same in regards to the above discussion.

Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:28 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

Well... not good. It began promisingly, certainly enjoyed the opening scene and the first 1/3rd of the film, but after Max Lord wishes to become the dream stone, this thing just goes off the rails and over a cliff in a hurry. I have a hard time believe this was the end result the filmmakers were wanting, and it just got out of their control somewhere along the way and no one hit the brakes.

Diana's entire wish to have Steve back just didn't work. From the get-go, when it was shown Steve was in some random guy's body, it was obvious this reunion wasn't going to last through the film (or beyond). Is Wonder Woman really going to let a presumably innocent man's body be possessed by a magical Steve she wished for? Of course not. I was fine with her struggling to let go of the wish and doing so, but she never really questioned it and just went with it for too long. This would fit some superheroes, but from what I've read of Wonder Woman, it's out of character. (But correct me if I'm wrong and she's displayed such behavior somewhere before.)

And then when she decided to take back her wish, the emotional impact just wasn't there because it was going to be the obvious choice from the very beginning. This could have easily been resolved, I think, if her wish had put her in a sort of trance or something where she had to discover that Steve was "fake" and possessing someone else's body.

And her final battles with Cheetah and Max Lord were totally underwhelming. They could have at least produced a decent boss fight, right? And then Diana and Barbara's relationship (barely acquaintances, not even friends) goes unresolved. Okay then.

And lastly, the entire Max Lord/dream stone story is a mess. It snowballed into a massive apocalyptic catastrophe, and then gets wished back to normal. All good here. Uhh... no. People were wishing others dead (the son wishing his mom dead), firing nukes, and who knows what else. Fine, they took their wishes back to fix the world, that's okay in itself. But the aftermath would obviously not be this happy scene we see with Diana walking around smiling at the end. There's going to be a ton of conflict between just normal people wishing each other dead, and definitely among countries firing nukes or wishing wars and such. Is everyone in the world really going to forgive everyone else because they were "tricked" into making a wish? I don't think so. If someone close to me wished me dead, I'd at least want to have a conversation with them and wouldn't just overlook it like everyone in the world seemed to do here. Something like what we saw in the film would have consequences for a really, really long time, and very likely end up leading to some of the situations that people were actually wishing for.

And lastly, lastly... The special effects are also pretty rough. It began early with pretty obvious CGI in the mall where Diana is using her lasso to save some kids (clearly CGI models), and just got worse as it went. I can only hope it was because of the pandemic having a big impact on post-production? I don't know the history of this film's development, but anything less than an unforeseeable reason is unacceptable for a $200 million production in 2020.

I was excited for this one since Wonder Woman is my favorite film in the DCEU, but oof. Haven't watched a sequel drop off so much in a long time. And...why was this titled 1984? We see some 80s "stuff" sometimes, but the setting was a huge afterthought. No recognizable 80s sets were even used as backdrops, the best that I can remember. I don't even recall any 80s soundtracks being used here! Why was an aria playing and not some 80s hits when Diana was showing Steve all these new things during his fish-out-of-water scene? Disappointing...

I'm going to assume it was a pandemic victim that suffered from major production issues. Even the score was disappointing as it reused Diana's theme over and over, just mixing it differently throughout. It was used at least 5 times, but perhaps more. Guessing they couldn't get a proper orchestra or Zimmer together due to COVID, so opted to reuse/remix a lot of previous scores?

Wonder Woman A-
The Suicide Squad B+
Shazam B+
Joker B+
Man Of Steel B
Birds of Prey B
Aquaman B
Suicide Squad B-
Batman V. Superman B-
Justice League C
Wonder Woman 1984 C-

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:03 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I am still baffled by this movie. A sequel to the first one shouldn't have been... this.

Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3