Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:27 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 The Vigil 

Rate this film:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
C 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

The Vigil 
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post The Vigil
Quote:
The Vigil is a 2019 American supernatural horror film written and directed by Keith Thomas in his feature directorial debut. It stars Dave Davis, Menashe Lustig [yi], Malky Goldman, Fred Melamed, Nati Rabinowitz and Lynn Cohen, and follows a young man who is tasked with keeping vigil over a deceased member of his former Orthodox Jewish community, only to be targeted by a malevolent spirit known as a dybbuk (Yiddish: דיבוק‎). The film is executive produced by Jason Blum through his Blumhouse Productions banner.

The Vigil premiered at the 2019 Toronto International Film Festival in September 2019. The film received a limited theatrical release in the United Kingdom, Ireland, and New Zealand in July 2020, before being released internationally on August 5, 2020. It is scheduled to be released in the United States on February 26, 2021, by IFC Midnight.

Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:04 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Re: The Vigil
It uses the haunted room setting to its max but falters towards the end. I did not love the flashback scenes in the forest and they could have done without those. Dave Davis does really well to carry this movie and Lynn Cohen provides enough freaky value but overall the end did not lend. Yet whatever comes before that and the settings/concept are creepy enough for this to make a good addition.

B-

Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:35 pm
Forum General

The creepy atmosphere and the use of locations and visuals were easily the best things about this, but honestly I felt like Insidious did this same kind of film a lot better. It's a pretty decent horror flick overall, but that ending definitely fell flat and I also could have done without the flashback scenes.

C+

Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:24 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Great atmosphere and a moody sense of dread permeate the entirety of this movie but I didn't really think it ended up going anywhere particularly original or engaging. And by the end for such a short film it does start to drag a lot, I was really ready for it to wrap up by the time it did. A mixed bag for me. C+

Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:31 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]