Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 The Devil All the Time 

Rate this film:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 100%  100%  [ 3 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

The Devil All the Time 
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post The Devil All the Time
Quote:
The Devil All the Time is a 2020 American psychological thriller film based on the novel of the same name by Donald Ray Pollock. Directed and co-written by Antonio Campos and produced by Jake Gyllenhaal and Randall Poster, the film stars an ensemble cast comprising Tom Holland, Bill SkarsgÄrd, Riley Keough, Jason Clarke, Sebastian Stan, Haley Bennett, Eliza Scanlen, Mia Wasikowska and Robert Pattinson.

The Devil All the Time was released in select theaters on September 11, 2020, and is scheduled to be released digitally on Netflix on September 16, 2020. The film received mixed to positive reviews from critics, who praised the performances (particularly those of Holland and Pattinson) but found it excessively grim and violent.

Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:48 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Re: The Devil All the Time
Great performances all around and its really violent but in adapting from the book there is just too much happening in too short of a time. Lots of things happen that in a book would feel good to read but not translated smoothly on screen. The entire arc with Bill Skarsgard does not add much to the story and that's also true for Sebastian Stan's side story. There are great things in here but it needed a tighter script to make an impact. The ending needed that punch for this kind of movie. Holland and Pattinson do stand out of this cast but everyone is great here.

B-

Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:17 am
Forum General

I kind of loved this. I could not have expected it to turn out any better honestly, although I do admit that I already have a weakness for these Southern Gothic period pieces.

It's super dark and gets pretty brutal and bleak at times, but even with the almost 2 and half hour running time I was never bored and I thought the pacing was great as well, especially considering the length.

Battinson and Holland are fantastic in this even though I thought the cast overall was really solid, especially Bill Skarsgard who should be getting more praise IMO and I could not get enough of seeing Sebastian Stan with that beer gut lol, but damn was he convincing in that role.

B+

Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:01 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

This movie was a fucking mess. Too much going on and a waste of a really wonderful cast, most of whom just show up in glorified cameos to die quickly. Also for how violent and dark it was it had no excuse to be so dull. C-

Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:30 am
Profile YIM
100% That Bitch

B+

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:23 pm
Keeping it Light

Pretty good drama, the time and setting it takes place is nice and it surely has a cast of many well knowns though all together they don't amount to something really special for me. The flurry of (bad) characters also mean that's a bit unfocused, we get multiple character journeys and none of them really stick. It's definitely violently dark however and I appreciate the film as a whole.

B

Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:33 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]