Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 The East 

What grade would you give this film?
A 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
B 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
C 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

The East 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post The East
The East

Quote:
The East is a 2013 American thriller film directed by Zal Batmanglij and starring Brit Marling, Alexander SkarsgÄrd, and Ellen Page. Writers Batmanglij and Marling spent two months in 2009 practicing freeganism and co-wrote a screenplay based on their experiences and drawing on thriller films. The East was filmed in two months in Shreveport, Louisiana at the end of 2011. The film premiered at the 2013 Sundance Film Festival on January 20, 2013. It was released in theaters on May 31, 2013.

Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:52 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Post Re: The East
Another very engaging and sharp film from the mind of Brit Marling, who established herself as a major up-and-coming player in American independent film as the star and writer of both Another Earth and Sound of My Voice. The East, the story of a female agent who infiltrates a radical underground environmental group and finds herself drawn to its brooding and charismatic leader (True Blood heartthrob Alexander Skarsgard in his most interesting big-screen role to date), is a tad more conventional and far more refined in its visual style than the other two films, but it is far from square: as it electrifies and pleases as a straightforward suspense film, it also raises tantalizing moral questions and has a persuasive feel for the extreme counterculture lifestyle its principal characters embrace, including hopping freight trains and searching the trash for perfectly edible food deemed unworthy by grocery stores and high-end restaurants. My only complaint of note: after reaching a perfect conclusion (dynamic open endings are an area at which Marling excels), the film, in what may very well be an eleventh-hour studio mandate (or not), laces the end credits with bonus footage which ties the storyline into a neater bow than is required.

A-

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:52 pm
Wallflower

Incredible. An intelligent thriller that delivers thrills in a rather low-key way. Brit Marling is great as usual. I've yet to be disappointed by a film of hers. One of 2013's best movies.

9/10 (A)

Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:59 am
Keeping it Light

I was pretty turned off by this, it feels very amateurish and unrealistic to me and because of that it hardly builds up any tension. Found it weak in pretty much most departments, though Brit Marling is pretty good as the lead, her writing is flat out mediocre. There's actually a pretty nice cast in this, but they drown in the script. I did like the element of Marling's character balancing the undercover part with her relationship and in itself the purpose of such a group as The East is interesting, their intentions don't come across as compelling.

C

Sun May 17, 2020 5:54 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]