Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Star Trek 

What grade would you give this film?
A 69%  69%  [ 34 ]
B 22%  22%  [ 11 ]
C 6%  6%  [ 3 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 49

Star Trek 
Dont Mess with the Gez

Post Star Trek
Star Trek

Quote:
Star Trek is a 2009 American science fiction film directed by J. J. Abrams, written by Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman, distributed by Paramount Pictures. It is the eleventh film based on the Star Trek franchise and features the main characters of the original Star Trek television series, portrayed by a new cast. The film follows James T. Kirk (Chris Pine), Spock (Zachary Quinto) and Dr. McCoy (Karl Urban) aboard the USS Enterprise as they combat Nero (Eric Bana), a Romulan from their future who threatens the United Federation of Planets. The story takes place in an alternate reality due to time travel by both Nero and the original Spock (Leonard Nimoy). The alternate timeline was created in an effort to free the film and the franchise from established continuity constraints while simultaneously preserving the original continuity via the utilization of the alternate timeline plot idea.

Development of the film began in 2005. Filming took place from November 2007 to March 2008 under intense secrecy. Midway through the shoot, Paramount chose to delay the release date from December 25, 2008 to May 2009, believing that the film would reach a wider audience.

The film earned high critical praise, gaining a 94% on Rotten Tomatoes. It has become the highest-grossing film in the Star Trek series unadjusted for inflation. It is credited by the media as a reboot of the series. It was nominated for four Oscars at the 82nd Academy Awards and won the Academy Award for Best Makeup, making it the first Star Trek film to win an Oscar.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:31 am
Extraordinary

Post Re: Star Trek (2009)
Here's my short review, which won't be glowing. Yes, all the buzz it's getting - i have to say i don't find it entirely justifiable. It's not bad. Actually, it's a very well crafted, entertaining modern blockbuster but something was missing to elevate it to awesome, you know, those "goose bumps moments". I partially blame the soundtrack. Unfortunately, it didn't do much for me, it really is a shame. I also feel that they sometimes went a little overboard with the comedy (Chekovs accent for instance or some stuff involving Scotty). The main baddie was also just there so that our heroes had something to do, with almost no screentime presence. I'm giving it an 8/10, for now.

I'm kinda bummed now. Shit, it didn't live up to all my high hopes, especially after hearing about all the glowing reviews. :(

I need to rewatch it in english, un-dubbed...

Wed May 06, 2009 7:34 pm
htm

I really, really liked it. It's so briskly cut, it feels like an extended trailer - indeed, there's so much potential in the sequel now that things are (perhaps too) neatly in place. Still, this is a slick, dazzling film - well acted and scripted for the most part. The opening sequence was chilling - one shot, in particular, as the shuttle slips away from the Narada and we see Wynona Kirk, devastated, with baby Tiberius, is sort of beautiful and really lets the fierceness of the film set in. I wish there were more of those moments - to simply let the emotion sink in and the beautiful splendor of things to really be appreciated. There's often too much going on - this film leaves you breathless - and it's only in these very special moments that you can really appreciate the greatness of Star Trek as pure pop entertainment. Another moment I particularly recall feeling this, for example, is when Sulu is piloting the Enterprise from within the atmosphere of Titan, gracefully raising the ship from the atmospheric clouds and really getting a feel for what it's like to pilot a starship. Let the awe sink in!

There's a lot of self-indulgence here, but the film owns it. It's somehow acceptable, cornball bliss. Spock Prime even acknowledges this in one final moment where he wishes well to our new Spock.

This is a new Star Trek. It captures the grand optimism of the *other* Star Trek and manages to look cool, convincing (except engineering - please, how does a starship resemble a fucking factory?) and, well, awesome. At the same time, the previous history is, well, history. This is a new timeline, with new characters, new aesthetics, and new opportunities. I'm kind of scared, as a Trekkie, about what will come next. This could be a great divergence, and this film is a spectacular set up for it. If anything, it's freakishly fun (lots of humor - perhaps too much, but what the hell? Better than the jokes about Data's ass we got from ST:9) and that means something, too. If only for a minute, I hope new fans get the chance to bask in the sort of splendor of Trek -- no matter how different this new world is.

(And, for those who don't know, yes, this is a new Trek. It works within existing canon in that the old stuff is preserved -- this is a new timeline, splintered from the other one. Hence, the new, well, everything. Changes are big, too, and maybe hard to get used to. Here, for example, Vulcan is destroyed. No reset. It happens. Unabashedly. This is definitely a new timeline, and with it comes all of the uncomfortableness for fans of disregarding EVERYTHING that has happened thus far. This has happened before in Trek - but usually just for an hour, where everything can be reset. There is no reset here)...

Anyway, enough rambling. Go see it! Trekkie or not, you'll have lots of fun - promised (unless you're b.witheredberries)

Thu May 07, 2009 2:20 am
Extraordinary

zennier wrote:
The opening sequence was chilling - one shot, in particular, as the shuttle slips away from the Narada and we see Wynona Kirk, devastated, with baby Tiberius, is sort of beautiful and really lets the fierceness of the film set in.

Yep, that was the most emotional scene for me, too.

zennier wrote:
I wish there were more of those moments

Indeed. :(

As for changing the past, i think what they did was a very elegant way to free them from the shackles of canon but still kinda respect it. I have no problems with it. Not to know what comes next makes it more exciting.

Thu May 07, 2009 5:37 am
The Wall

Post Re: Star Trek
I completely loved the movie. Which says a lot as I find ST movies rather bad (with a single notable exception). I usually don't grade movies on the same day I see them. I let them roam my mind for a day or two. But I'll give this one maximum or near maximum grade. Trekkie in me finally has a great Trek movie to rewatch again and again. I'm currently in a rush as I have an exam tomorrow and then on Monday and Tuesday, but I already scheduled a repeat viewing with a friend of mine. We'll go see it on Tuesday or Wednesday. YAAAAY!

Thu May 07, 2009 3:55 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

I enjoyed it a whole lot. It wasn't a masterpiece, but a very very well-crafted movie. Right now it's between this and First Contact for the best Star Trek film...I need to rewatch the latter.

Thu May 07, 2009 5:00 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

star trek

I've had the pleasure of seeing this movie twice already. Once on Tuesday at a screening and tonight at 1900. I would have gone to a midnight (expecting the more fanatical fans) however my favorite theatre was only doing 1900 and 2200 showtimes this evening.

It was a packed theatre tonight and the crowd was somewhat participatory. Before the film began someone shouted, "I still live with my mother" and then a couple back and forth comments ensued illiciting laughter from the audience. There was a singular boo for one of the trailers which were pretty uneventful overall.

Trailers were Year One (very funny), GI JOKE, Transformers 2 (best of the bunch), Night at the Museum 2 (ehh). None got any real responses besides the one boo for NATM 2.

star trek plot/story. I Loved all the set up and "origin" stories for Kirk and Spock. All the characters each had their moments and they weaved in classic lines all over the place. The villain story was kind of tame, but we have to start somewhere. It was done well overall and served it's purpose. Overall, I liked it.

Actors were all great in this, I thought. I don't think Bana had much to work with so his villain role is probably the weakest thing about the movie, but again purpose served.

Lastly, I really loved the movie. The audience appeared/seemed to really like it as well. I'm going to get to see it at least once more with my papa so we'll see how that audience takes it in on friday or saturday.

Grade - A

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Thu May 07, 2009 10:45 pm
Forum General

I really enjoyed this movie. The only two memorable Trek movies for me
before this one were Voyage Home and First Contact. Voyage Home is still
my favorite, though this new one is very close. The humor nearly matches
Voyage Home, but it seemed forced a few times, so I give Voyage Home the
slight edge. However, Voyage Home didn't have anything near the quality of
the opening scene of this new movie. FANTASTIC!

B+ With very high hopes for the next movie.

Thu May 07, 2009 11:03 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Absolutely fantastic. Two things stop it from getting an A+. The constant lens flare and the shaky cam scene with Kirk talking to the captain in the bar.

The rest? So great. The action is everything the ads promise. The humor was much greater than I could have expected. I felt that they did an excellent job making it obvious when a meta-joke was made. Such as Whatshisface in the red shirt. Or Ahura summing about Spock's complicated explanation with three words - an alternate universe. And what a great conception that was. I thought "Not your father's Star Trek" was just a dumb advertising line. Turns out to be a major plot point. Who knew?

Fri May 08, 2009 12:17 am
Extraordinary

Star Trek always had a soft spot for Shakespeare, and this new reboot is no exception! Star Trek XI takes a quote from Macbeth as it's defining motto:

Quote:
[Star Trek XI is]... but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more: it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

This movie is a stinker.

It's as if it's a parody sketch of Star Trek done by MAD TV, except they forgot to make it funny. The thin caricature's of the famous characters are never developed - - we're expected to care about them based on a quick riff on their old catchphrases. It's pitiful. I thought I heard viewers of this reboot wouldn't need knowledge of the franchise,yet the only small pleasures I found in this film were the perverse reimaginings of the old crew. Who knew McCoy was gay?!? Who knew about that whole Uhura thing?!? Who knew Leonard Nimoy could sink so low?!?! Who could have possibly known any of these things??!!??

The Thursday opening night crowd consisted of mostly older people, about 50 of us in a 300 seat auditorium. After it was over, people couldn't get out fast enough just as the credits started to roll. The loathing was palpable.

What a misfire! Yet another in a long series of franchise mismanagement disasters. The third bad Star Trek film in a row. It's more sad than anything else... :(

:zzz: out of :zzz: :mad: :) :thumbsup: :towel:

{Watch this and tell me that hype has nothing to do with any undeserved success this movie accumulates. This one's pure bait and switch.}

Fri May 08, 2009 12:40 am
Veteran

J.J Abrams and co revamps Star Trek, breathing life into the series and presenting it for a whole new generation of fans all the while respecting the original series and it's fanatics. Admittedly, I had never been a fan of the television series and film series but the ads and overly positive reviews for this Star Trek attracted me to it more than I could have ever imagined. What is done here though is retaining the originality, spark and intelligence the series had and making it "accessible", if you will, for every demographic. This is not to say that it is dumbed down or sexed up for the jocks to make it "cool", but it's mended in a way that it is not unaccessible for those who had preset notions. This works mainly due to the excellent cast. Everyone cast (for the most part, excluding the most random casting choices ever *cough*Wynonna Ryder, Tyler Perry & Simon Pegg*cough*) is fresh. Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Zoe Saldana and everyone else bring enthusiasm to this. Where it could have gone wrong it did not. The screenplay provides everything, from sexy scenes, emotional moments to romance, and of course spectacular action scenes - from start to finish it is thoroughly entertaining. The sets are phenomenal, the acting is top notch, the special effects are stunning, the score memorable and the cinematography is breath taking only adding on top of this unstoppable rejuvenation. Star Trek 2009 brings so much to the table for a whole new beginning. The freshness and enthusiam brought with this film reminds me of many firsts, like with Transformers & Spider-Man, the audience is left with the feeling of amazement and excited for this new beginning. Not to sound overly cheerleading of the film, it does have some flaws here and there, and there is a brief lull between the first and second half. But besides that I found no faults. It is entertaining, insightful, intelligent, funny, sexy and above all, fresh. A/A-.

Fri May 08, 2009 12:52 am
Extraordinary

Mr. Inc wrote:
Admittedly, I had never been a fan of the television series and film series but the ads and overly positive reviews for this Star Trek attracted me to it more than I could have ever imagined.

QFT.

Fri May 08, 2009 1:04 am
The Lubitsch Touch

Enormously satisfying. You won't even mind that the images are probably a bit too stimulating. Can I have the sequel, like, tomorrow?

Fri May 08, 2009 2:43 am
I thought it was amusing fun.

There was never any point where I was on the edge of my seat or anything, but it was definitely light and fun throughout. The villain was completely meh, uninteresting, and not at all threatening for the duration but the crew coming together made up for that.

A high point for me (and my whole IMAX theater) was Simon Pegg's introduction. Every line of his, and a bunch of facial expressions, got huge laughs and he was clearly the favorite. When all the names came up during the credits Simon Pegg got far and away the most applause and cheers. I don't mean to say it like it means anything, I was just amused/surprised that he's so beloved. Good for him.

Oh, also--Chris Pine's underwear bulge in his scene with the green alien chick (Rachel Nichols!) was good. There should have been more shirtlessness...and nudity...and, while I'm at it, a Kirk/Spock fuckfest. Yes...

EDIT: I forgot something else. The music was lame, from the "BAD GUY!!!!" cues to the "HEROIC ACTS!!!!" stuff. Not good.

Last edited by Malcolm on Fri May 08, 2009 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri May 08, 2009 5:23 am
The Greatest Avenger EVER

Bradley Witherberry wrote:
Star Trek always had a soft spot for Shakespeare, and this new reboot is no exception! Star Trek XI takes a quote from Macbeth as it's defining motto:

Quote:
[Star Trek XI is]... but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more: it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

This movie is a stinker.

It's as if it's a parody sketch of Star Trek done by MAD TV, except they forgot to make it funny. The thin caricature's of the famous characters are never developed - - we're expected to care about them based on a quick riff on their old catchphrases. It's pitiful. I thought I heard viewers of this reboot wouldn't need knowledge of the franchise,yet the only small pleasures I found in this film were the perverse reimaginings of the old crew. Who knew McCoy was gay?!? Who knew about that whole Uhura thing?!? Who knew Leonard Nimoy could sink so low?!?! Who could have possibly known any of these things??!!??

The Thursday opening night crowd consisted of mostly older people, about 50 of us in a 300 seat auditorium. After it was over, people couldn't get out fast enough just as the credits started to roll. The loathing was palpable.

What a misfire! Yet another in a long series of franchise mismanagement disasters. The third bad Star Trek film in a row. It's more sad than anything else... :(

:zzz: out of :zzz: :mad: :) :thumbsup: :towel:

{Watch this and tell me that hype has nothing to do with any undeserved success this movie accumulates. This one's pure bait and switch.}

Bravo.. A down and out honest review and you probably make a good point about hype selling this more than the quality of the movie itself... I'm still on the fence about whether I should throw down 12 bucks to see this in IMAX or pass on it til DVD time?? What do you think Bradley?? :-k

Fri May 08, 2009 7:16 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

So all the previous reviews weren't "honest" enough for you? C'mon man. Go watch it for yourself, however, if you really are that anal about a Star Trek reboot then you should just save yourself the time and wait for the next big movie.

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Fri May 08, 2009 8:13 am

Basically, this was really good. I've never seen hardly anything of ST before, a few episodes of one of the old shows, and one of the movies (might have been the third....) and all that was long enough ago that I hardly remember it.
So for me, this was pretty grand. Funny, witty, fast paced, intense, beautiful, astonishing, it's all there, and then some. This was some of the best visual work I've seen, it's truly breathtaking to see some of the things Abrams is able to put on the screen.
I may write more after some time to settle/a second viewing, but this is a fantastic film.
9/10 (i think, may change that soon)

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Fri May 08, 2009 9:40 am
Star Trek XI

Not a Trekkie...but loved this one. Fast, funny, edgy and will do a lot to get fan interest in ST up and running again.

9/10

Fri May 08, 2009 11:08 am
Extraordinary

The first ten minutes are probably the best thing in the history of Star Trek, and the rest is pretty great, too.

A-

Fri May 08, 2009 1:18 pm
Killing With Kindness

BJs Grade:

A

2nd best film of the year, Push owns, the movie was channeling A+ for the first 30-45 minutes but died down, overall outstanding, and the new cast did an outstanding job.

Fri May 08, 2009 2:27 pm
Profile WWW

hm, was I the only one that thought the first 20 minutes were the weakest part? It felt kind of cheesey, the lame introduction of the enemy, although the tragic sequence with kirk's dad was pretty well done, but still, that part felt kinda corny and made me scared it would only be a "good/great" movie and not a "fantastic" movie like it turned out to be.
It could just be that everything went up hill during the snow/ice land scene, and even more uphill when Simon Pegg appeared on the screen.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Fri May 08, 2009 3:16 pm
The French Dutch Boy

This is the best action blockbuster film I have seen in ages. My only real criticism would be that it went a little too heavy on the visual stimulation at times (sensory overload), but otherwise, it was great. It was emotionally satisfying, terrific special effects, well orchestrated battle scenes, and really great humour. I'm also a sucker for films that tackle "time and space" issues. Really well done.

The film was ultimately the perfect length. When it ended, it felt right. It didn't drag on or cut too short. The entire thing had good, brisk editing overall.

Simply the most enjoyable and most satisfying action blockbuster I've seen in quite a while. Most today are way too in your face and lack genuine emotional resonance and humour.

And man, this really didn't feel like a Star Trek film! It didn't suck, the storyline made sense, and the special effects were good! I think the following really summarizes my thoughts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0WqYWZo0r0

A-

Peace,
Mike

Fri May 08, 2009 7:42 pm
On autopilot for the summer

Really fits right in with the rest of the Star Trek films. Its no surprise that the three best films (Kahn, First Contact, and now ST) all deal with a captain's pure Vengeance. The story was paper thin, but when dealing with vengeance the characters, humor, and action get more of a focus, which is a good thing, but I actually thought the idea of "Alternate Reality" was a great reboot tool.

Apart from the obvious bigger budget and new technology, not much else has changed. Casting was great, villain was mostly servicable and entertainment. The only real advantage this film has is the fact that by the time the last two crews made the films they were well into their late 40s and in some cases went into their 70s. The new actors bring a lot of energy and blood to bring a franchise that got too familiar back into albeit familiarity again, but an upgrade that is a great welcome. It's only real fault is that the finale is rushed and has really no sense of danger. You should know all the main characters so you know who will survive. Though it was a great intro film, the next film can be bolder. What you have is a commercialized version of a once great franchise bringing its faults and praises with it into the 21st century of entertainment.

Solid A

It ranks among Kahn and First Contact, not better though, they had villains that raised the stakes to a different level. Id say its way above Journey Home and Undiscovered Country since its just so full of life and the upgrades in filmmaking.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Fri May 08, 2009 8:35 pm
Stanley Cup

honestly, i loved almost every bit of it. Perfect set up film.

A-

Fri May 08, 2009 9:09 pm
htm

seeing it again tonight. nerrrd. no, but seriously: its so fun. between the conference presentation today and finals next week, i need this sort of FUN. bringing a man with me, too.

Fri May 08, 2009 10:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 123 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next