Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Doctor Sleep 

Rate this film:
A 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
C 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

Doctor Sleep 
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Doctor Sleep

Quote:
Doctor Sleep is a 2019 American horror film based on the 2013 novel of the same name by Stephen King, which is a sequel to King's 1977 novel The Shining. The film, set several decades after the events of The Shining, combines elements of the 1977 novel and its 1980 film adaptation of the same name directed by Stanley Kubrick. Doctor Sleep is written, directed, and edited by Mike Flanagan. It stars Ewan McGregor as Danny Torrance, a man with psychic abilities who struggles with childhood trauma. The film also stars Rebecca Ferguson and Kyliegh Curran in her feature film debut. Carl Lumbly, Zahn McClarnon, Emily Alyn Lind, Bruce Greenwood, Jocelin Donahue, Alex Essoe, and Cliff Curtis also feature in supporting roles.

Warner Bros. released Doctor Sleep in international territories starting October 31, 2019, and in the United States on November 8, 2019. The film has grossed $5 million worldwide.

Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:29 pm
The Kramer

Post Re: Doctor Sleep
This movie isn't terrible, it has a lot of strong moments that both call back to the original and are entirely new. Rose astral projecting across America only to be caught in Abra's trap (least she didn't go out like a bitch though mirite fellas? #RianRuinedStarWars), Danny reuniting with his father's ghost, the introduction of Snakebite Andi, learning how to defeat the crone, etc..

The problem is that the movie spends A Lot of time with the vampires. Like so much. And the purpose is to make us feel sympathetic towards them, or so it seems. Yes they care about each other very much which is a good quality, but the only other thing they do during the entire story is murder and eat children. Soooo yeah fuck those guys I don't really need to feel bad when they die. Especially Snakebite Andi, who I mentioned earlier as getting a great introduction, does fuck all for the rest of the movie. Not even a sliver of irony about how she once used her powers to fight sexual predators, but is now the one preying on children herself. Also, much like It 2, there are like 5 different prologues and we just didn't need them all. At least thirty minutes could have been cut from this movie.

Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:02 pm
Extraordinary

I rather enjoyed it, sad its flopping. This is also the best I've seen Rebecca Ferguson.

Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:53 pm
100% That Bitch

Woah, now that I've seen it, I'm so sD it flopped this bad

A-

What was the point of spending so much time with the vampires if all they did was kill children lol

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:17 pm
Wallflower

I really wasn't excited for this. I have never disliked a Mike Flanagan film but the trailers didn't do much for me. But I thought it was fantastic! One of my favorites this year. Rebecca Ferguson is award-worthy and Rose the Hat is one of the best villains in ages. Can't stop thinking about her or the film.

It's a huge shame this is flopping. I blame Warners Bros for not releasing this in October. They should have premiered at TIFF ala Halloween (2018) to build buzz and then released in October. We needed a big horror film in October and this would have fit the bill. I'm so disgusted they botched this.

Anyway, great film. Wouldn't mind going again.

9/10 (A)

Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:18 pm
Forum General

Really solid flick and it definitely felt like a Mike Flanagan film all the way through. I'm sad that it flopped at the BO, but honestly I'm not too surprised that it did either. This is certainly not one of your average, mainstream horror films filled with jump scares and gore which I actually really appreciate, and its honestly pretty bold to think that Warner Bros even decided to greenlight something like this in the first place, especially with a $45M budget. Ewan McGregor and the girl who played Abra were very solid in this, and damn is Rebecca Ferguson a pretty great villain.

B+

Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:23 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

Is watching The Shining a prerequisite for understanding/enjoying this one?

It has been so long (25 yrs) since I've seen it and not sure if i should re-watch.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:21 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

If you remember the main plot of shining then it's not a pre-requisite. The house comes in only last 15 minutes or so

Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]